Age of Ultron The Official Scarlet Witch Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like quicksilver. I like the waiting at the ATM analogy. I like the chance of him meeting up with the Inhumans. I like the way he is magnetised to and repulsed from his daddies ideologies, trying to rebel and dominate in the status quo at the same time

The problem with Quicksilver is that he's always been a major league a**hole and that hasn't changed since Stan Lee created him back in 1964. Five decades of dukeebaggery has left him unlikable and unliked by the majority of comic book fans. Maybe Whedon will give him a personality remake than renders him a bit more tolerable in AOU.

On the subject of Wanda's costume, I think that something like the one she's wearing in the OP would be good. One of main the problem with the "sexy swimsuit" costumes that so many heroines have been saddled with is that they simply are not practical for the actresses to move in. When I try to imagine running, jumping, kicking, fighting in one of those costumes it brings up all manner of unpleasant problems. It would be damned uncomfortable, not to mention the potential for catastrophic wardrobe malfunctions. One wrong move and the director is going to have to yell "Cut!" while the actress/stuntwoman scurries off to get her costume back into PG-13 territory.

On top of all that, those things are terribly anachronistic. The typical swimsuit costume looks like a 60's relic because most of them are. Throw in high-heeled fetish boots, long gloves and capes and you have a truly comical look. Fans might appreciate the fealty to the original designs but the general audience would probably not be impressed.

I do find it weirdly ironic that the Black Widow, whose outfit is utilitarian and covers most of her skin, is routinely attacked for being over-sexualixed. Her costume is similar to the catsuit that Captain America wore in TA. The objections seem to boil down to whether a male or a female body is encased in the form-fitting design.

Like I said sometime ago, the 1990s costume would be great:

sw-bigcostume7.jpg

scarlet_witch_by_mike_deodato_jr_2.jpg

Like I said sometime ago, the 1990s costume would be great:

sw-bigcostume7.jpg

scarlet_witch_by_mike_deodato_jr_2.jpg

I could dig that! But OMG that tiny waist… Oh, comic book art! Never change!

The problem with Quicksilver is that he's always been a major league a**hole and that hasn't changed since Stan Lee created him back in 1964. Five decades of dukeebaggery has left him unlikable and unliked by the majority of comic book fans. Maybe Whedon will give him a personality remake than renders him a bit more tolerable in AOU.

On the subject of Wanda's costume, I think that something like the one she's wearing in the OP would be good. One of main the problem with the "sexy swimsuit" costumes that so many heroines have been saddled with is that they simply are not practical for the actresses to move in. When I try to imagine running, jumping, kicking, fighting in one of those costumes it brings up all manner of unpleasant problems. It would be damned uncomfortable, not to mention the potential for catastrophic wardrobe malfunctions. One wrong move and the director is going to have to yell "Cut!" while the actress/stuntwoman scurries off to get her costume back into PG-13 territory.

On top of all that, those things are terribly anachronistic. The typical swimsuit costume looks like a 60's relic because most of them are. Throw in high-heeled fetish boots, long gloves and capes and you have a truly comical look. Fans might appreciate the fealty to the original designs but the general audience would probably not be impressed.

I do find it weirdly ironic that the Black Widow, whose outfit is utilitarian and covers most of her skin, is routinely attacked for being over-sexualixed. Her costume is similar to the catsuit that Captain America wore in TA. The objections seem to boil down to whether a male or a female body is encased in the form-fitting design.

Xeno: Get out of my mind! Pretty much yes to all of this.

I'm sure Team Whedon's got a firm handle on SW's costume. Actually from the sounds of it:
Olsen's already appeared as the Scarlet Witch on set… so likely she'll show up in the end credits for CA:TWS, right?

Personally, I love a**hat Quicksilver. There's something about being an arrogant d-bag and a "hero" (see, Namor) that I'm totally into.

I don't know what that says about me :oldrazz:

I'm at the point after reading these last few pages that I hope they just have her wear a red thong and red nipple covers lol

I could dig that! But OMG that tiny waist… Oh, comic book art! Never change!

Xeno: Get out of my mind! Pretty much yes to all of this.

I'm sure Team Whedon's got a firm handle on SW's costume. Actually from the sounds of it:
Olsen's already appeared as the Scarlet Witch on set… so likely she'll show up in the end credits for CA:TWS, right?

Personally, I love a**hat Quicksilver. There's something about being an arrogant d-bag and a "hero" (see, Namor) that I'm totally into.

I don't know what that says about me :oldrazz:

I agree I hope QS retains his personality, I feel like ATJ can knock it out of the freaking park too.

They need someone like Quicksilver to mock everyone else and even pre-empt any of the potentially sillier concepts that the audience might already be thinking of in their own minds. QS gets to say things that the others might not get to say and still get away with it because he's designed to be a dukee. ATJ can have fun with that and be as caustic and snarky as possible.

I imagine that Whedon will probably write him a bit like Spike in Buffy. And Spike proved to be popular with audiences, partly because of his personality.

This team needs a little bit of deuche infused into it and Quicksilver fits the bill.

They need someone like Quicksilver to mock everyone else and even pre-empt any of the potentially sillier concepts that the audience might already be thinking of in their own minds. QS gets to say things that the others might not get to say and still get away with it because he's designed to be a dukee. ATJ can have fun with that and be as caustic and snarky as possible.

I imagine that Whedon will probably write him a bit like Spike in Buffy. And Spike proved to be popular with audiences, partly because of his personality.

This right here explains it for me: Spike = Namor/QS.

If that's the tone Whedon's going for with Pietro, then score. That's exactly what I want.

I like quicksilver. I like the waiting at the ATM analogy. I like the chance of him meeting up with the Inhumans. I like the way he is magnetised to and repulsed from his daddies ideologies, trying to rebel and dominate in the status quo at the same time

Same here.

I think that Quicksilver will rub everyone up the wrong way and he might even be hated by his team mates. But at the end of the day, he might be the one who comes through and saves everyone. He could be a bit like Matt Dillon's thoroughly racist cop in "Crash" who still ends up saving the black woman when she is in a car accident who is refusing his help, because of his bigoted attitude towards her earlier.

They need someone like Quicksilver to mock everyone else and even pre-empt any of the potentially sillier concepts that the audience might already be thinking of in their own minds. QS gets to say things that the others might not get to say

I wonder how Stark will react. that's usually his role.

I wonder how Stark will react. that's usually his role.

But he says it more in jest, whereas QS will be far more mean and cutting. I think QS could make Stark seem tame by comparison. I'd like to see a verbal -sparing match between the two.

Of course, I hope Whedon doesn't strip QS of his personality like he did with Hawkeye, who is supposed to also be snarky and outspoken (but not as much as QS).

Whedon described his initial draft, where Hawkeye was a part of the team the whole time and not a zombie, as a "dry-wit-off", lol. I'm sure some of that will be there this time

And Quicksilver was never a snarky dukeebag, just a plain old dukeebag. I'm sure Whedon will give him a bit of that snark though, and yeah Spike is probably a good comparison (although I'd also compare Loki to Spike)

But he says it more in jest, whereas QS will be far more mean and cutting. I think QS could make Stark seem tame by comparison. I'd like to see a verbal -sparing match between the two.

Of course, I hope Whedon doesn't strip QS of his personality like he did with Hawkeye, who is supposed to also be snarky and outspoken (but not as much as QS).

Clint, in the books, used to be pretty abrasive; like Sawyer from 'Lost.'

I don't know, I've seen Pietro get a bit snarky before. Peter David tends to write a snarky Pietro

He used to make snarky comments back in the day about Vision and the fact that his own sister was married to a machine. I don't remember exactly what they were (would have to dig out the comics) but he did often compare Vision to some other appliance or machinery etc. I think he mouthed off against a few others too (eg Hawkeye and Black Panther).

Disagree with this last bit. It has to do with the way the body is presented and used. It's not a coincidence that Black Widow is the one who's butt is to the audience in the promo poster, it's not a coincidence that her fighting style is best known for straddling people in mid air. The character is sexualized in ways no male character ever is, and female characters often are. This has nothing to do with what she's wearing... except she is wearing a skintight suit, as is the other female support heroine, and only two of the male characters do so. So please, let's not pick out a detail and say 'see, it's all the same' when it is most abundantly not.

Now if Scarlet Witch is not extra sexualized beyond her male counterparts, that will be incredible... but I highly doubt that will happen.

Let's be real, no one really cares that much about Quicksilver. He's okay and all, but Scarlet Witch and Vision are the exciting additions. With Quicksilver, he's SW's brother, he runs fast and he's a dukee. Not much else to say, lol
I'm super excited for both Vision & Scarlet Witch, both very unique characters in the Avengers setup. But Quicksilver also has plenty of value to me. I think his superspeed will look really exciting on screen. And I love him as a dukee. I think the team could do with someone like that. Cap & Thor are outright heroes, Hulk & Stark are 'alternative' but definitely good guys underneath & Black Widow & Hawkeye have a more ruthless side. Noone could be described as a dukee. This team needs dukee! The GA won't be ready.

I'm super excited for both Vision & Scarlet Witch, both very unique characters in the Avengers setup. But Quicksilver also has plenty of value to me. I think his superspeed will look really exciting on screen. And I love him as a dukee. I think the team could do with someone like that. Cap & Thor are outright heroes, Hulk & Stark are 'alternative' but definitely good guys underneath & Black Widow & Hawkeye have a more ruthless side. Noone could be described as a dukee. This team needs dukee! The GA won't be ready.

And yet I think they'll embrace him, because he'll say things which are funny and won't come off looking bad, because he already is.

And yet I think they'll embrace him, because he'll say things which are funny and won't come off looking bad, because he already is.
I think they'll love it in a similar way to how Tony Stark was very different to what they expected from a superhero. Marvel better not neglect this essential part of his character!

Disagree with this last bit. It has to do with the way the body is presented and used. It's not a coincidence that Black Widow is the one who's butt is to the audience in the promo poster, it's not a coincidence that her fighting style is best known for straddling people in mid air. The character is sexualized in ways no male character ever is, and female characters often are. This has nothing to do with what she's wearing... except she is wearing a skintight suit, as is the other female support heroine, and only two of the male characters do so. So please, let's not pick out a detail and say 'see, it's all the same' when it is most abundantly not.

Now if Scarlet Witch is not extra sexualized beyond her male counterparts, that will be incredible... but I highly doubt that will happen.
I agree about the stupid "butt shot" posters. However, her fighting style is not about sexualizing her. It's about showing how a smaller-sized woman (Scarjo is much smaller than her co-stars) can take down opponents who are almost always much taller/heavier than her, by using movement and momentum and all of her body weight concentrated into one motion. Plus, her fighting style is no more sexualized than any MMA fighter.

How eloquent is Aaron Taylor Johnson? I ask this because RDJ speaks very quickly and is quick witted. ATJ as Quicksilver needs to be as well. You'd think that a character like that is bound to speak and think up responses very quickly and not seem like he's fumbling over his words.

I agree about the stupid "butt shot" posters. However, her fighting style is not about sexualizing her. It's about showing how a smaller-sized woman (Scarjo is much smaller than her co-stars) can take down opponents who are almost always much taller/heavier than her, by using movement and momentum and all of her body weight concentrated into one motion. Plus, her fighting style is no more sexualized than any MMA fighter.

Yeah, she's like what, 5'5, its not believable for her to take down 300 lb bodyguards with just her strength(unless she has super soldier serum or something but thats not likely).

In fact, I'm willing to bet Batroc will have Cap between his legs at some point. Please don't take that quote out of context.

Natasha's not the only one to use this fighting style.:cwink:

tumblr_m6wpacnbJj1qfqevuo1_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back