Far From Home The Official Spider-Man: Far From Home User Review Thread

I don't think Mysterio could've been done with a more serious subtle performance like Vulture.

The man wears a giant fishbowl on his head. He produces big elaborate spectacles for the world to see. There's nothing subtle about him. He's an over the top narcissist. He wants to be seen and heard.

Vulture on the other hand was a stealthy dude that tried as hard as possible to just be an everyman despite being a criminal by night.

I don't think Mysterio could've been done witg a more serious subtle performance like Vulture.

The man wears a giant fishbowl on his head. He produces big elaborate spectacles for the world to see. There's nothing subtle about him. He's an over the top narcissist. He wants to be seen and heard.

Vulture on the other hand was a stealthy dude that tried as hard as possible to just be an everyman despite being a criminal by night.

Exactly. They're entirely different characters. Mysterio is an attention ****e and drama queen. In the midst of destroying London, he's fretting over getting his cape vacuumed in case he meets the Queen. Vulture doesn't even want attention. He wants to fly under the radar and go unnoticed.

Ned was a better friend in this movie than in Homecoming.
How so? I wouldn't say he went above and beyond anything we saw in any previous appearances? He was more walled off from the super hero stuff until like the third act because they had him in that Betty Brant fling. What gives him a deficit in HC exactly? That he was tempting Peter to use Spidey to be popular? I chalk that up to characterization and growth. That was all about the responsibility angle of HC. He counseled Peter to take Stark's warnings more seriously in ZHC so it's not like he was just telling Peter to be rash or something there. In FFH he doesn't give Peter any really great advice and in fact at the start is all about making Peter do what he wants on their vacation despite knowing how much Peter is putting into his plan to romance MJ, then blows that off once Betty becomes interested in him. He wasn't a bad friend in FFH but what did he do qualitatively that made his actions that much better here than in HC exactly?

I'd say Ned was just a bit... nicer to Peter? It seemed he was genuinely worried about him. In Homecoming it started to seem like he was just his friend because he was Spiderman.

I don't think Mysterio could've been done with a more serious subtle performance like Vulture.

I think you're right. He didn't have to have the simmering menace of Keaton... But he was far from a flamboyant scenery chewer either. I didn't register much of anything from him. If anything he was TOO subtle for the majority of the time. Make him big and outrageous. Fine. Make him darkly humorous. Fine. Make him as seriously threatening as a heart attack. Fine. But make him SOMETHING. And... I didn't feel anything from the performance.
I liked the angle that he actually wasn't unhinged in that he didn't want to kill Peter and was actively trying to avoid that. I took that at face value. He was looking to control the EDITH satellite, system and drones for his own ends but he wasn't out to totally destroy Peter despite resenting Stark handing so much over to a kid. They could have done SO much with a real investment in that but like everything else with Beck the film tells me something but it doesn't really register or make me feel it in any way. I mean there could have been like a great slow burn of desperation that was a counter to how easily Vulture slid down a path of murder and destruction despite having some moral center. Here it might have been great to see Beck trying hard to not slip into killing (After all... illusions aren't deadly. ) and keep trying to justify himself that he's not really hurting anyone until he reaches a breaking point. But after the "reveal" all we get is he's a narcissist *****e that talks a couple of times about not wanting to kill Peter but again... It doesn't really resonate. It's in the script but the presentation and performance of it are just kinda dead.

I'd say Ned was just a bit... nicer to Peter? It seemed he was genuinely worried about him. In Homecoming it started to seem like he was just his friend because he was Spiderman.
They were already buddies before he knew though. They were building Lego Death Stars together etc.

See for me I don't think that moment made me register anything specific about Beck or his personality outside of what the exposition laid out. I found him neither manic or over the top. And I didn't read anything subtle either.

I mean... That moment where he talks about Stark calling him unstable after he felt looked over for creating BARF, and Stark naming it so fell flat as a pancake to me. It didn't work as a look under the hood to his depths of madness or something and it spelled out things we were already having spelled out.

I think we saw different scenes then. The indulgence in “give me praise please” the fact that he went so off the deep end over something so simple, and the pure showmanship of it.

Perfect Mysterio. One of my favorite scenes honestly.

A fun Spidey film with a decent take on a new villain but it did have a few more issues than the other Spidey film and other MCU films in general, the pacing was a bit choppy in the first half of the film and there was just a few too many "funny" characters that really weren't needed and too much humor didnt really land for me. One comedy teacher would have been fine but not sure we really needed two.

The action was decent enough and I liked the way Mysterio would get in Spidey's head with his "illusions" but the effects at times were a little sub-par and looked a little like video game cut-scene rather than a full budget MCU movie, it didnt feel tangible and thus pulled me out the film a bit.

Most of the characters were great though and they have some good chemistry from Peter to MJ all the way to Happy and May, just felt like there was a few side characters they could have lost to help with some problems.

7/10

Gotta be fair and start with the positives. Gyllenhaal is great as Mysterio. The reveal scene didn't quite work for me because I thought it meant he will just be a joke. Gladly that wasn't the case, those mindbender parts are the highlights of the entire film. FXs are good, acting is mostly solid, mid-credit scene was killer.

Unfortunately, the rest is just kinda dumb and lazy. Most of the humor was not landing. That bus scene was so bad that I lost faith in the movie for a while. Nothing with the teachers worked for me, they were too goofy. I also don't buy that Tony and Peter had this deep father-son connection that they are implying

Marvel is relying too much on being funny. And when the humor isn't even that good, the whole thing just leaves me cold. A Spider-man movie deserves better than this, seriously.

6/10

I really enjoyed it. Tom Holland is my favourite Spider-man /Peter Parker and I liked most of the comedy elements. I've been waiting a long time to see Mysterio on the big screen and I loved all his scenes. The action set pieces were awesome. My only issue, like many others, is that I'm not keen on the Tony Stark jnr aspect of this series. I prefer my Peter as a high schooler who takes photos for The Daily Bugle, but it's just a matter of accepting that this is simply a different interpretation. At the end of the day I enjoyed it.

Mysterio was incredible, and Peter was fun. I know a lot of people don't like the emphasis on Tony Stark's legacy. I don't mind that, per se, but it does bother me how much is just given to Peter Parker. I mean, he has access to Stark tech and SHIELD protection, which is more help than most iterations of Peter ever get.
Yet, it feels like if it were total strangers in danger and not his friends, he would just walk away to the tune of "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head."

That said, they had a lot of guts to do some really comicbook-y stuff with Mysterio and Spider-Man, and I enjoyed that.

8/10

Best spidey movie ever! The MCU is such a well oiled machine now it’s insane! 10/10!

Eh. I didn't like the movie. The jokes didn't land. Didnt like Mysterio especially his motivations. I couldn't care about this version of MJ and Aunt May. Also too much Iron Man imo. The end credits was unnecessarily extra.

I'd probably rate this 8.8/10. First hour dragged largely because so much of the things happening were either shown in the trailers or were telegraphed so predictably because of the trailers. Jokes didn't land either because most of them were shown in the trailers already. Second hour was much better. Really liked Mysterio's hallucination/illusion sequences, right out of the comics. I'm leaning or Marvel needing to go more the Endgame route with it's trailers. Don't show anything out from the second hour and is possible, shoot multiple versions of jokes like the Deadpool movies. Different lines in the trailer than the movie.

The post-credits scenes really changed the picture for future movies. :woo:

Do you guys think

Mysterio will live on via his cronies? Or do you think Quentin Beck pulled the wool over Spidey one last time? I really hope he lived.

I think they've left enough room open for either. Mysterio can return as a different person simply via his cronies, at least some of whom clearly escaped. Sure, they won't have the full EDITH network access or the giant army of drones, but they didn't start with that either. Spend some down time building enough drones and a new plan, and bam. Granted, it'd need to be a good plan, since now Mysterio is more-or-less exposed as an illusion.

Having Quentin live would be trickier, but. . . Peter only directly confirmed it himself via asking EDITH. The same EDITH that Team Mysterio had inside access to for quite a chunk of time. Its not completely inconceivable that he could have faked being shot, or how badly injured his wounds were, with enough remaining EDITH access to make her lie about his life status. The tricky bit would be explaining why Fury and his minimalist team didn't find the body and/or realize it was a substituted body.

The neat thing is, because both of these options are at least plausible, a future appearance could fake *either way* when the truth is the opposite.

Nah. It was pretty clear that they were good friends prior to Ned finding out. I think the difference you’re seeing in the two movies is that Ned has gotten used to Peter being Spider-Man. In Homecoming, he was definitely wrestling with it/hadn’t figured out what it really means. From his perspective, they’re both losers and outcasts at school, but now one of them is literally the coolest person in school. He was looking at the news through a kid’s eyes: how can we use this to our advantage and become cool? “You’re a SUPERHERO now! Let’s embrace it!” By the time Far From Home occurs, Ned has matured and realizes being a superhero is serious business.

Solid film. Nothing spectacular though.

Next movie needs to move Spider-man front and centre of the MCU. Make the stakes higher, make it all a bit less lightweight and throwaway. I found it very hard to care at all about anything that happened.

Cameo was very cute, but also deeply, deeply stupid.

8/10
'
Agreed that it could be less of a straightforward comedy like the last two, although I thought it worked better in this one because of the "Vacation" setting. But I wouldn't want Spider-Man to be front and center of the MCU. Frankly, FFH would've been a lot better if Nick Fury wasn't in it. Feige/Marvel know he works best as "low to the ground," and that includes villains who aren't actual global threats. It feels like they just shoehorn the Iron Man stuff and now Fury to make it "connected," but I would rather them cut down on that and just focus more on Peter in his solo movies.

Yeah Flash is the only one I could see less of. I get that’s his whole schtick but it’s not really funny or amusing.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Flash Thompson is really getting old with the psycho bullying Peter, and he is a nerd himself so it totally doesn't land at all.

He comes off totally pathetic. Peter is smarter, better looking, seems better liked than Flash is despite throwaway lines about how nobody notices Peter, and Peter looks like he’d have zero problem kicking Flash’s ass without superpowers, so Flash has absolutely nothing over Peter besides I guess being rich. He’s like this annoying irrelevant nuisance.

I do like this character. His bullying manner is a masquerade, there is a layer and not so subtle hints to it. Now there is what happens in the mid credit there could be some impact on him i can see the movies pave the path to it if they choose to play that out in the future.

There isn’t much I don’t like the movie, it’s perfectly fine and entertaining. It brought back the memories in some places in Europe (don’t recall
Prague
being like that though maybe it was awhile ago
and there are way way more gondolas and vaporetto s these days in Venice. A stunt like this will have quite some flipped, crashed people killed.
. pretty well done anyway.

Noticed that the Australian government in NSW was credited at the end, any idea what’s that about? Don’t remember it was shoot in Australia.

Ugh, you've made me realize I am kind of curious to Flash's reaction to Peter being outed as Spider-Man, and now I resent you making me the tiniest bit interested in Flash (jk).

Definitely not my favorite Spider-Man film. I agree with a few other users, the jokes did not land, it dragged quite a bit throughout, and I'm sorry, but I think the teachers got more screen time than deserved. I'm not that invested in his school mates either. And this version of Flash just isn't right to me. Also, why is Peter walking around in public without his mask, but has the suit on ? I think that happened twice in the movie.

That said the Mysterio scenes were awesome, I do like the Pete & MJ relationship in this, and the special effects were good for the most part.

You people are hilarious.

The jokes were good, and the film was great.
My only complaint is that it plays out like a generic popcorn flick until we get the reveal in the bar. And that first illusion encounter played right out of some excellent 60s Mysterio stories.
I loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"