The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i edit my wish : why did you quote the image if you are the first to reply ?

i cant debate with you, my english is not so good to answer good stuff :) that's explain my 42 posts :)
but since 2005 i read all oyour comments and its boring to see the same quoted image all in the way :)

sorry

Last edited:
As a bit of a manipper myself I like it when someone re-post my stuff because its some what of a rewarding complement.

mszu9t.jpg

mh61r9.jpg

Model used was Danish Actor Kim Kold.

Yes actor. He is retired from competitive bodybuilding now, former Danish National Champion, speaks English very well, and even starred in a well received Sundance Film, and if you look up the short film "Dennis" as well as the follow up full film "Teddy Bear", if interested and you will find him to be a surprisingly good actor, who has a very good ability to emote and has an incredible screen presence.

He has the looks of a Villain, and likely if the MOS series ever does have Darkseid the character would be full CG.

Personally I am a big fan of practical effects, and being that in the movie 300 Snyder was able to make a 6’2" actor look 8ft tall, then he could easily make 6’4" Kim Kold look like he is also 8ft tall.

Even if it is a mixture of effects, and some CG, Kim Kolds body and face has a striking resemblance to Darkseid and they could do a lot worse than use him as a Basis for a fleshed out Darkseid.

I seriously hope (and expect) they'll look slightly beyond physique at first if they're doing Darkseid in one of the sequels or in the JL-movie. He should be a combination of several elements and not just a big actor in make-up. That's the Smallville-way. And casting body-builders is just... ugh.

I seriously hope (and expect) they'll look slightly beyond physique at first if they're doing Darkseid in one of the sequels or in the JL-movie. He should be a combination of several elements and not just a big actor in make-up. That's the Smallville-way. And casting body-builders is just... ugh.
Meh, who cares if they can act. It's all about the looks. "Didn't you get the memo?" :o

If they can make someone like Thanos work with old fashioned prosthetic and makeup, then I don't think Darkseid should be that much harder to do as well.

If they can make someone like Thanos work with old fashioned prosthetic and makeup, then I don't think Darkseid should be that much harder to do as well.

True, but we havent really seen Thanos yet, have we? Only his face and an arm. And that guy's not playing him again. Expect a different approach next time.

I consider that post-credits scene in Avengers a fan-easter-egg thing and a test-shot. I doubt it dictates anything other than Thanos being in the sequel.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that was make-up with some CGI-tweaks.

So, in other words you are saying if someone has a bodybuilding background they should not be in any movies, even if they can act?

No, of course not. I've just yet to see a bodybuilder turn out a great actor. And whenever I see someone suggest bodybuilders it's always first and foremost because they're big, muscular and awesome looking, putting the acting aside.

I've yet to see the entire movie (even though I'm also danish), but the scenes I have seen with Kim Kold doesnt strike me as someone with a lot of presence. But I dont know at all. But again, looking at his absurd build I assumed that's what you were going for.

No, of course not. I've just yet to see a bodybuilder turn out a great actor. And whenever I see someone suggest bodybuilders it's always first and foremost because they're big, muscular and awesome looking, putting the acting aside.

I've yet to see the entire movie (even though I'm also danish), but the scenes I have seen with Kim Kold doesnt strike me as someone with a lot of presence. But I dont know at all. But again, looking at his absurd build I assumed that's what you were going for.

The whole movie is up on youtube.

The parts where he speaks english are when he is in Thailand, not that its a big deal for you if you speak his natural language.

His acting has been mentioned by a lot people. Look at the comments on his IMDB page, or just do a search for reviews of the movie.

Kim Kold the man does not behave anything like his Introvert character, that was all acting.

He has down the most critical part of acting, which is the ability to emote, with Facial expressions and Eyes.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/spout/teddy-bear-review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/teddy-bear-sundance-film-review-285456

http://www.starkinsider.com/2012/01/film-review-teddy-bear-sundance-film-festival.html

I was watching the movie, and realized its not just his inhuman physique, more Gorilla like than human, but his FACE also looks like Darkseid.

It could be the years of steroid abuse has done to him, resulting in a granite like mug.

Anyhow, the guy actually can act, at least well enough to be used in some capacity by a visual effects team. If he were used likely it would only be in some sort of visual capacity and greatly enhanced with CG. The benefit of having real muscles on a component of the visual effect is that they move in a natural way, and does not look like a rubber suit.

Have the make up/costume team go over him, add the visual effects used to make Xerxes look 9ft tall in 300, and you got a guy who really seems like Darkseid come to life.

Obviously he would need to make it past an audition, but his look (not just muscle but face) and talent he has so far shown should at least warrant him that. That is if they ever even would use a villain like Darkseid.

The funny thing is, even the people who have said that "its impossible for a bodybuilder to act" - none of them dissagree that his face had an odd resemblance to Darkseid.

Darkseid is also not quite as massive as characters like the Hulk, and Snyder DOES have a history using a bodybuilder for a body basis in the Watchmen, yes a middleweight bodybuilder was used for Dr.Manhattan's body. Just heavily enhanced with CG.

The whole movie is up on youtube.

The parts where he speaks english are when he is in Thailand, not that its a big deal for you if you speak his natural language.

His acting has been mentioned by a lot people. Look at the comments on his IMDB page, or just do a search for reviews of the movie.

Kim Kold the man does not behave anything like his Introvert character, that was all acting.

He has down the most critical part of acting, which is the ability to emote, with Facial expressions and Eyes.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/spout/teddy-bear-review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/teddy-bear-sundance-film-review-285456

http://www.starkinsider.com/2012/01/film-review-teddy-bear-sundance-film-festival.html

I was watching the movie, and realized its not just his inhuman physique, more Gorilla like than human, but his FACE also looks like Darkseid.

It could be the years of steroid abuse has done to him, resulting in a granite like mug.

Anyhow, the guy actually can act, at least well enough to be used in some capacity by a visual effects team. If he were used likely it would only be in some sort of visual capacity and greatly enhanced with CG. The benefit of having real muscles on a component of the visual effect is that they move in a natural way, and does not look like a rubber suit.

Have the make up/costume team go over him, add the visual effects used to make Xerxes look 9ft tall in 300, and you got a guy who really seems like Darkseid come to life.

Obviously he would need to make it past an audition, but his look (not just muscle but face) and talent he has so far shown should at least warrant him that. That is if they ever even would use a villain like Darkseid.

The funny thing is, even the people who have said that "its impossible for a bodybuilder to act" - none of them dissagree that his face had an odd resemblance to Darkseid.

Darkseid is also not quite as massive as characters like the Hulk, and Snyder DOES have a history using a bodybuilder for a body basis in the Watchmen, yes a middleweight bodybuilder was used for Dr.Manhattan's body. Just heavily enhanced with CG.

If Kold can really act, then that's great. And yes, he really does have the face of Darkseid.

But I actually think he's too big, as in too bulging. His arms are just too big and bumpy. If Darkseid is to wear a uniform or armor, then Kold would just look too fat and clumsy in suit.

IMO it's not a matter of finding a big enough actor. Depending on their approach to visualize him, they could go with Jackie Earle Haley for all I care. If Darkseid is to be 8-9 feet tall, then obviously they'll have to blow him up via CGI anyway, so the physique of the actor playing him is therefore irrelavent. But there are numerous ways to how they could visualize him.
I think I'd prefer a fairly and appropriately sized actor in a greatly designed suit/armor and then blown up via computer like Xerxes in 300. They could also go with a great body-actor and have him voiced by Peter Cullen. :cwink:

If Kold can really act, then that's great. And yes, he really does have the face of Darkseid.

But I actually think he's too big, as in too bulging. His arms are just too big and bumpy. If Darkseid is to wear a uniform or armor, then Kold would just look too fat and clumsy in suit.

IMO it's not a matter of finding a big enough actor. Depending on their approach to visualize him, they could go with Jackie Earle Haley for all I care. If Darkseid is to be 8-9 feet tall, then obviously they'll have to blow him up via CGI anyway, so the physique of the actor playing him is therefore irrelavent. But there are numerous ways to how they could visualize him.
I think I'd prefer a fairly and appropriately sized actor in a greatly designed suit/armor and then blown up via computer like Xerxes in 300. They could also go with a great body-actor and have him voiced by Peter Cullen. :cwink:

If they use a voice acor it HAS to Michael Ironside.

I still think Kold can be used in some of the visual effect, but obviously heavily enhanced.

As far as being too big (comical to think a human could get too big to play Darkseid), he can lose mass quickly if he needs to, he is not quite THAT big anymore, the manip picture was from his competition days. Looks more like this these days. He was like 320 with 6% bodyfat, now he is more lik 290 with about 10%.

He is also not as ripped either. From FF6:

345llib.jpg

2cih4yg.jpg

I think he looks more like Darkseid than any human ever should. Its like the Lord of Apocalypse on vacation.

Michael Ironside is definitely not a bad choice, but I personally would prefer the Allstate guy, Dennis Haysbert. Dude has an imposing voice and would be an awesome voice for Darkseid.....

dennishaysbert-1.jpg

If Mark Strong is not Lex, then he should voice Darkseid. A different voice, no doubt, but adequately cold and calculative. They can pitch him in post.

I still dont think Kold is the right one. Maybe for body-double/reference for CGI, but otherwise I'd like a different approach.

If Mark Strong is not Lex, then he should voice Darkseid. A different voice, no doubt, but adequately cold and calculative. They can pitch him in post.

I still dont think Kold is the right one. Maybe for body-double/reference for CGI, but otherwise I'd like a different approach.

I'd be more than happy to see him getting that much.

My voice actor is still Ironside, but Peter Dinklage should also get an Audition.

Obviously we are getting ahead of ourselves, first WB would need to actually pick Darkseid as a villain in the first place.

I'd be more than happy to see him getting that much.

My voice actor is still Ironside, but Peter Dinklage should also get an Audition.

Obviously we are getting ahead of ourselves, first WB would need to actually pick Darkseid as a villain in the first place.

Haha, really?

Haha, really?

He was the voice of the Villain in Iceage4.

I thought he WAS Ironside.

I was surprised to see it wasn't in the credits.

Not to mention the awesome Irony of a guy who 4'5" doing the voice of a guy who is 9ft tall.

He was the voice of the Villain in Iceage4.

I thought he WAS Ironside.

I was surprised to see it wasn't in the credits.

Gotta check that out.

But yeah, there are many great voices out there. And soundwise you can also do wonders with actors who have great but not deep voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"