The Official TIH Box Office Discussion Thread

^ Are you being sarcastic or something? How is that bad? Especially considering it doesn't include HD sales....

^ Are you being sarcastic or something? How is that bad? Especially considering it doesn't include HD sales....

It's not "bad", but like the box office, it's nothing special either. TIH's DVD sales are basically in line with it's box office, and it's in the lower half of the top 20 for the year. Other movies are selling HD versions too and there's nothing to suggest that TIH's HD sales are some kind of outlier.

Basically, there's been no apparent spike in popularity of the movie as people "discover" it on DVD. Nothing to really suggest that a sequel would do much better.

Marvel dropped the ball on the Hulk franchise... that's all there is too it. You guys can blame Ang Lee all you want... they just did not make a high quality comic book film on par with what we have seen with some other Marvel features. When you make an hour and a half action fest with little to no substance you can't expect any lasting impressions. Like I always say... it is what it is...

Marvel dropped the ball on the Hulk franchise... that's all there is too it. You guys can blame Ang Lee all you want... they just did not make a high quality comic book film on par with what we have seen with some other Marvel features. When you make an hour and a half action fest with little to no substance you can't expect any lasting impressions. Like I always say... it is what it is...

These are the things I used to say when you would hound me for being "negative" and a troll. Glad to see you finally came around. :up:

ChewySpider said:

And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. Not only has TIH officially been curb-stomped by The Dark Knight, which was expected, but it's also been crushed by Iron Man bigtime. IM sold 7.2 million copies in it's first week out. Although that's including Blu Ray and DVD sales, it doesn't matter because IM still sold more DVDs in its first week than TIH has since its release (and up to Dec. 14th). Remember...TIH came out in late October.

I don't only want to use TDK and IM for comparison, because plenty of other non-superhero films have been more popular than TIH, but the fact of the matter is that TIH was mediocre and so was its performance. It's a forgettable superhero films, like Daredevil. Made some bank, but no one will look back on it as a classic in years to come. It'll wind up on the HBO channels soon and will play a few times a week like the Fantastic Four sequel does.

It's a shame, because Hulk fans deserve more.

but the fact of the matter is that TIH was mediocre and so was its performance. It's a forgettable superhero films, like Daredevil. Made some bank, but no one will look back on it as a classic in years to come. It'll wind up on the HBO channels soon and will play a few times a week like the Fantastic Four sequel does

I disagree on it being mediocre. I can't argue that it won't end up on HBO soon, but comparing TIH it to Daredevil is a little shortsighted in my opinion.

Last edited:
And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. Not only has TIH officially been curb-stomped by The Dark Knight, which was expected, but it's also been crushed by Iron Man bigtime. IM sold 7.2 million copies in it's first week out. Although that's including Blu Ray and DVD sales, it doesn't matter because IM still sold more DVDs in its first week than TIH has since its release (and up to Dec. 14th). Remember...TIH came out in late October.
Because beating Iron Man and TDK, the year's biggest two blockbusters, is the only measure of success?

Look, it's not doing superbly, but it's doing decently and "ouch" is a ridiculous overreaction. It will have outsold both Superman Returns and FF2 by the end of this week, and it probably has another .5 million copies in it afterwards.

These are the things I used to say when you would hound me for being "negative" and a troll. Glad to see you finally came around. :up:

That's beside the point... you do this with every box office thread... you could care less about the film itself... and that's fine. But that's the impression I get with you... I remember your Iron Man projections... I know you had it at 160-180 million and no higher than that... that's a fact (of course you are gonna give some bull **** about making higher predictions closer to the release but do yourself a favor and save the post). And I noticed how you conveniently disappeared from that thread after OW. You need to eat some crow as well. I have always said the same thing about TIH... I never downplayed the low output at the box office. I said the same thing you did about TIH... it was a fun action movie... nothing more... nothing less.

Last edited:
That's beside the point... you do this with every box office thread... you could care less about the film itself... and that's fine. But that's the impression I get with you... I remember your Iron Man projections... I know you had it at 160-180 million and no higher than that... that's a fact (of course you are gonna give some bull **** about making higher predictions closer to the release but do yourself a favor and save the post). And I noticed how you conveniently disappeared from that thread after OW. You need to eat some crow as well. I have always said the same thing about TIH... I never downplayed the low output at the box office. I said the same thing you did about TIH... it was a fun action movie... nothing more... nothing less.

I underestimated Iron Man, did so did a ton of people around here and around the country. You can't get on me because I didn't expect it to hit $300 million. Hell, I had TDK opening weekend at $80 million to start with. guess you can say I disappeared, but I moved on to threads to discuss the IM film itself and over to a different forum to anticpate the release of a little film that came out in July.

And sure I care about the films. However, in box office threads (like this one), it's common to discuss box office predictions/performance/marketing rather than the film itself. So yeah, I was off with Iron Man but right on the money with TIH. :up:

I underestimated Iron Man, did so did a ton of people around here and around the country. You can't get on me because I didn't expect it to hit $300 million. Hell, I had TDK opening weekend at $80 million to start with. guess you can say I disappeared, but I moved on to threads to discuss the IM film itself and over to a different forum to anticpate the release of a little film that came out in July.

And sure I care about the films. However, in box office threads (like this one), it's common to discuss box office predictions/performance/marketing rather than the film itself. So yeah, I was off with Iron Man but right on the money with TIH. :up:

So you care about Punisher... yet you decide to only appear in one of the threads after the film flops... I am just asking you to stop pouncing on every sub-par statistic that shows up... you are free to do it... but it gets old after awhile.

As far as Iron Man... you were talking nothing but box office pre-release. Same with TIH with some CGI stuff thrown in there as well. That doesn't show me you care about the films. Not that anyone is forcing you to care.

OK so they've sold under $4 million DVD's before the final holiday sales.

:wow: I think if they do a sequel, they should try a different approach, like grey Hulk instead of savage Hulk. Something becuase Hulk deserves better and its more to it than just marketing. They just haven't found his niche yet.

Wow, the negativity surrounding TiH will never cease to amaze me. All of those who saw the movie has told me how much they enjoyed it (even an improvement). But on these forums, everyone sits around philosophizing about what if? Could it have done better? Sure, for many reasons. I think Marvel screwed up the marketing, timing (for finishing the cgi, although most of it was superb) and the final edit. But I also think they laid solid ground for future stories. Will Hulk get a sequel? Who knows at this point. I do think it is unfair to compare this film with the success of others this summer. Marvel did just about everything right with Iron Man, although I enjoyed TiH better. TDK had hype building up for it since the release of BB. All in all, the Hulk has done fine.

it is what it is and that is a very good movie just has good as iron man , and tdk, second your wrong about ang lee hulk, it was 2 things when it came out, ,when i talked to people about the hulk most people said 2 things their making a second one?, and the first one sucked,and i still hear about the dvd the first one sucked, of course i tell them the truth

it is what it is and that is a very good movie just has good as iron man , and tdk, second your wrong about ang lee hulk, it was 2 things when it came out, ,when i talked to people about the hulk most people said 2 things their making a second one?, and the first one sucked,and i still hear about the dvd the first one sucked, of course i tell them the truth

:whatever:

Er, WHAT are you talking about? The first movies DVD sales were superb.

I don't only want to use TDK and IM for comparison, because plenty of other non-superhero films have been more popular than TIH, but the fact of the matter is that TIH was mediocre and so was its performance. It's a forgettable superhero films, like Daredevil. Made some bank, but no one will look back on it as a classic in years to come. It'll wind up on the HBO channels soon and will play a few times a week like the Fantastic Four sequel does.

It's a shame, because Hulk fans deserve more.

Bull*****, TIH IS a whole hell of a lot better than crap movies like Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns and other garbage that gets made.

It's top 5 as far as comic movies go.

I don't buy all this "marketing destroyed TIH" stuff, tons of movies have had great marketing and never went on to make millions. Titanic had no huge marketing campaign to speak of and neither do most films of other genres that make huge amounts of money. Some commercials a couple months before the release, good critical reviews and a good trailer is the only marketing you really need, so let's cut that and get to the real meat of the problem.

And the problem is two-fold. First, most people in the general audience who make up a much larger portion of the Box Office than we do, are only familiar with the TV show. It's been said over and over again, but it bears repeating. The problems with Ang's film are well documented but that doesn't have any real bearing on TIH, it's not like the casual moviegoer was burning torches and posters, holding demonstrations, all angry that they dared make another movie. They could care less, if it was critically received as one of the year's best, they would've packed the seats regardless. The fact is, they aren't all that excited about The Hulk as a character like people were back in the late 70's, and a good reason for that extends to my second point.....

I'll use this quote of myself from another thread concerning the same issue:

The 1st terminator made only about 40 mil. T2 had one of the biggest jumps for a sequel in movie history. Now, the diehard fans wanted to see T2 because of the story from the first one. The other 95% of the audience just wanted to see the liquid Terminator because it looked cool. Now if Hulk had such a bad effect on TIH's box office, conversely, shouldn't T2 have made T3 a whole lot more money than it did? No, because it was years later and the same people who showed a passing interest in watching cool f/x weren't all that concerned anymore, all that was left were the diehard fans, it happens all the time.

T2, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Matrix, these were movies that became spectacle in large part due to the significant jump forward they made in visual effects. Even to a lesser extent movies like Crouching Tiger..., where people I know personally watched it not even knowing what the hell it was about, but upon hearing of the cool visuals, decided to take a look. The Hulk has to do this in order for it to ever peak the interest of the casual moviegoer again. If the Hulk were groundbreaking in this latest movie, it would've been much more successful, without question. There's no such thing as a real Hulk per se, but you sure as hell can make him alot more plausible & believable with a lot more consistency...

badly marketed because marvel knew it wasnt goiung to be anywhere near as big as im. good marketinf for a film like hulk is imperative to attract its demographic. transformers was a poor film but its hype built it up for like a year prior to it being screened. hulk just sort of arrived for most people. i know many who arent even aware that there was another made. it was poorly edited and also not a very accurate rendition of hulk as a character anyway. the story was so simple an 11 year old probably wrote it. all the hype that came yut for the movie, eg 26 minute end fight, also turned out to be false. hulk would nbe better off as one of those animated cartoons where his limitless fury and strength can be demonstrated and shown far cheaper. in film s he should just cameo and save the day or whatever when an immense amount of strength is needed and then sit in the sub plots.

Bull*****, TIH IS a whole hell of a lot better than crap movies like Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns and other garbage that gets made.

It's top 5 as far as comic movies go.

TIH is no were near top 5, and I am a big Hulk fan, I also found Superman Returns to be a much better movie than TIH.

I don't buy all this "marketing destroyed TIH" stuff, tons of movies have had great marketing and never went on to make millions. Titanic had no huge marketing campaign to speak of and neither do most films of other genres that make huge amounts of money. Some commercials a couple months before the release, good critical reviews and a good trailer is the only marketing you really need, so let's cut that and get to the real meat of the problem.

And the problem is two-fold. First, most people in the general audience who make up a much larger portion of the Box Office than we do, are only familiar with the TV show. It's been said over and over again, but it bears repeating. The problems with Ang's film are well documented but that doesn't have any real bearing on TIH, it's not like the casual moviegoer was burning torches and posters, holding demonstrations, all angry that they dared make another movie. They could care less, if it was critically received as one of the year's best, they would've packed the seats regardless. The fact is, they aren't all that excited about The Hulk as a character like people were back in the late 70's, and a good reason for that extends to my second point.....

I'll use this quote of myself from another thread concerning the same issue:

T2, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Matrix, these were movies that became spectacle in large part due to the significant jump forward they made in visual effects. Even to a lesser extent movies like Crouching Tiger..., where people I know personally watched it not even knowing what the hell it was about, but upon hearing of the cool visuals, decided to take a look. The Hulk has to do this in order for it to ever peak the interest of the casual moviegoer again. If the Hulk were groundbreaking in this latest movie, it would've been much more successful, without question. There's no such thing as a real Hulk per se, but you sure as hell can make him alot more plausible & believable with a lot more consistency...

I think the marketing did effect TIH, as it simply came to late in the day when the likes of TDK and IM were advertising almost a year before. But people saying that Ang's movie effected TIH's performance are talking out of their arse IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"