The Dark Knight The Oscar Push!

Agreed. Ledger's performance was great. The nomination was a guarantee but I can't help but think that had he lived someone else would have walked away with the Best Supporting Actor Oscar last night. For the exact reasons you mentioned. The race became about sentimentality rather than performance. But the mere whiff of comments like this will send fanboys into a rabid frenzy. So brace yourself for the "Michael Cainez said blab blah blah before he died", "The Joker performance deserved the winz", "What are you talking aboutz" comments.

He wouldn't even have been nominated if he hadn't died. Nolan's snub in the Director category is proof of that IMHO. Brolin would have won. The sad thing to me is that it took Ledger's death for them to take his performance seriously. That is pretty effed up in my opinion, considering they handed out a Supporting Actor award to a guy last year who played a similarly unhinged nutjob. But it wasn't in a summer action movie so they took it seriously.

I hated last night's show. Only good things were some of the presenters (with Steve Martin being funny for the first time, in a long time), Jackman, and Heath's win. Other than that, it was just a kiss-ash to the Oscar darling overacheivers. I mean, the best reviewed movies of the year: The Wrestler, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight went home with little to nothing. I think that's just ********.

And don't even get me started with Efron's stupid little face popping up. Probably the only time he'll ever get to be up there.

He wouldn't even have been nominated if he hadn't died. Nolan's snub in the Director category is proof of that IMHO. Brolin would have won. The sad thing to me is that it took Ledger's death for them to take his performance seriously. That is pretty effed up in my opinion, considering they handed out a Supporting Actor award to a guy last year who played a similarly unhinged nutjob. But it wasn't in a summer action movie so they took it seriously.

True but I think that goes beyond the Academy. Its part of the human condition to idealize the dead and shower them with praise. People will say "Oh he/she was a saint" or "He/she was the nicest person and didn't hurt anybody" when they're dead yet you don't hear them saying such things when they're alive.

True but I think that goes beyond the Academy. Its part of the human condition to idealize the dead and shower them with praise. People will say "Oh he/she was a saint" or "He/she was the nicest person and didn't hurt anybody" when they're dead yet you don't hear them saying such things when they're alive.

This is true. And Ledger hated the awards scene with a passion. He said he was really happy when he lost for Brokeback because he couldn't stand all the BS campaigning that goes into it. It's never about the best work. It's always some kind of sympathy vote in some form or fashion, whether it be Ledger's death, the "we feel sorry for the people in the slums of Mumbai" angle that they were playing this year, the "she hasn't won after many years so let's give it to her" angle for Kate Winslet, and on and on. It's very hollow when you think about it.

This is true. And Ledger hated the awards scene with a passion. He said he was really happy when he lost for Brokeback because he couldn't stand all the BS campaigning that goes into it. It's never about the best work. It's always some kind of sympathy vote in some form or fashion, whether it be Ledger's death, the "we feel sorry for the people in the slums of Mumbai" angle that they were playing this year, the "she hasn't won after many years so let's give it to her" angle for Kate Winslet, and on and on. It's very hollow when you think about it.

I have no sympathy over Heath Ledger's death for one simple reason, the guy was happy doing what he did. When you look at all the photos of him he's doing what he loved whether that be acting, spending time with his daughter, goofing around, etc. He enjoyed his time here and lived every moment to the fullest. Its hard to feel sympathy for someone like that. I mean what exactly are you sorry about?

I do feel sorry for people who are miserable b/c they are pursuing education just to please their parents, in jobs they hate to please their spouses, in relationships they despise b/c they fear solitude, etc. These are the people I have sympathy for.

Given that Heath lived every moment to the fullest and his resentment for awards he's probably shaking his head and laughing right now over all the fuss that was made over his passing.

I have no sympathy over Heath Ledger's death for one simple reason, the guy was happy doing what he did. When you look at all the photos of him he's doing what he loved whether that be acting, spending time with his daughter, goofing around, etc. He enjoyed his time here and lived every moment to the fullest. Its hard to feel sympathy for someone like that. I mean what exactly are you sorry about?

I do feel sorry for people who are miserable b/c they are pursuing education just to please their parents, in jobs they hate to please their spouses, in relationships they despise b/c they fear solitude, etc. These are the people I have sympathy for.

Given that Heath lived every moment to the fullest and his resentment for awards he's probably shaking his head and laughing right now over all the fuss that was made over his passing.

Yeah, I think Ledger (wherever he is) is laughing about this whole thing. Now, I do feel sorry for his daughter.

In tribute, here is heath with Joker hair and his Matilda.

heath-ledger-matilda.jpg

ha ha, gotta say, thats not a flattering picture. it looks like he's dealing with a crushing hangover while begrudgingly attempting the bare minimum necessary to pass as a father.

I feel sorry for the fact he never got to see TDK in its entirety. He would have loved it, I'm sure. I also feel sorry that he will never get to see his daughter grow up.

But he didn't have a bad life, not in the least. What's sad is what he left behind when he passed.

A lot of people say The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for Best Picture because its a comic book and The Academy is above that, but you must remember Heath was the best thing about the movie and his death contributed to TDK's incredible record breaking box office success.

I think The Academy looked at it that way and settled it all with Heath amd I'm glad and thankful he won even though he wasn't there to receive it. Whether Heath would've been nominated for his performance as The Joker and won had he still been alive will always be up for debate though.

2 awards is definetly not to be sniffed at, even if one is fairly trivial.

TDK did not get a raw deal. If there was one film the Academy shafted it was The Wrestler :dry:

The big deal in my view is that Heath won an Oscar for his work playing a comic-book character. That alone is a huge breakthrough on the standards of acceptance into the Academy. If nothing else, actors will be more willing to try and play a comic role they are offered. Comics are being taken more seriously. "it's the new mythology", they say. And those considering parts know it could both hugely profitable a film, boost their career, but also make them cult icons in the hearts of millions forever. Just look at the Heath following now. It is legion. In summary, it was a win for comics.

wally pfister should have won the cinematography award.. only for the stunning work with the imax cameras ...

chasing through an indian city and film a quiz...
even i can do that ... ;)

Hugh Jackman gave a shout-out to TDK in his opening musical act here (at 3:41 mark):

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPgAQ_SW_Wk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPgAQ_SW_Wk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

I'm the opposite: i really enjoyed the show. In fact, i can say this was the only Oscar show that i've watched from start to finish without changing the channel. I havent seen all of the movies, but i found it quite entertaining :woot:

I really hope they bring Hugh back, i thought he did a great job!

I agree. Hugh made a huge difference and I was looking forward to his screentime on the show. Oscar host is important because the show itself is a drag, unless there's a film that you want to see winning awards.

I hated last night's show. Only good things were some of the presenters (with Steve Martin being funny for the first time, in a long time), Jackman, and Heath's win. Other than that, it was just a kiss-ash to the Oscar darling overacheivers. I mean, the best reviewed movies of the year: The Wrestler, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight went home with little to nothing. I think that's just ********.

And don't even get me started with Efron's stupid little face popping up. Probably the only time he'll ever get to be up there.

That's why we have People's Choice Awards. Nobody expects the people to have watched all the films nominated for the Oscars.

Ah guys we've come so long since 2006 and 07...i remember Michael Caine's interview in the summer of 2007 where he claimed that Heath was mesmerising,that he invented a crazy psycho who would terify people...and he said it was worthy of an Oscar nomination.

And i remember all the subsequential talk how an actor in a comic book movie stands no chance of receiving a nomination let alone a win and the argument of the other side that if Depp can get a nomination for Pirates why woudnt Heath be able to?

Then of course the tragedy happened and both positions were even more strenghtened...on one hand people were claiming that even James Dean didnt reeceive a posthumous award,on the other,the acclaim that was going on around the industry of his performance was felt to be to big to be ignored.

And now here we are,a year after his death,one of the most acclaimed and awarded supporting roles in history...an iconic performance that will be cherished and watched forever.

Even though some people may feel the movie was robed of several other awards...this is a great day for movie fans,comic book fans and especially Batman fans.

Heath Ledger,you will never be forgotten...
this needs to upped again cause well, QFT. oh yeah, you forgot to replace you 's's with 'z's:hehe: just sayin'

But if you don't know the circumstances in which James Dean died (even younger and more tragically than Heath), I reeeaaally can't help you. :oldrazz:

That shot of Heath w/Matilda reminds me of Dean...

heathledgermatilda343co0.jpg
jamesdeancar.jpg

Even *if* the Academy did award Heath because he died, the fact remains is that the Academy has taken a huge step, and whether they like it or not they cannot go backwards without shooting themselves in the foot. Not only was this the first instance of a superhero film getting an Oscar nomination for acting, but it was also the first one. And while I'm sure some will bring up the whole "his death was the main factor" arguement, it still remains that the majority of Academy members acknowledged a superhero movie for acting with both a nomination and a win.

So say more talented actors take roles in superhero films & pull off amazing performances as well, and everyone starts ringing the Oscar bell for acting in a superhero film again. Even if the Academy still has their biases against these movies, there is no way they can ignore a performance if it is truly good & deserving, as I'm sure many people will use the "well, what made Heath Ledger's Joker an exception and not this actor?"

What can the Academy say to that? Either the Academy risks looking bad in favor of holding up their tradition, or they can modify it, and I doubt they'll go for the former on this one.

The thing is, even if they only considered voting for him because he died (a sad commentary on the bias of the Academy), they would NOT have voted for him if he did NOT turn in a hell of a performance. It's not like it was a poor performance. The truth is it was a great performance and definitely worthy of awards. The problem is we know the Academy probably wouldn't have given it any credit if he hadn't died.

i almost wanted to punch one of my best friends in the face because he kept trash talking tdk everytime it was announced in a category for a nomination. I don't care if there are people that didn't like the movie as much as I did...or all of us here on the forum, its not a crime to openly hate the film but people like my friend are in the minority...and you can't deny its 8 nominations...thats just bullcrap when someone starts b***** about a movie just cuz its in their face so much...tdk deserved every nomination...i just wanted my fellow hypsters to know...that i restrained myself...and its not worth losing friends over...but he was that F%&*#ing close.

congrats to heath...we all knew it from the day we saw the movie...that he was going all the way to the oscars with that performance. I think i'm ready to leave the tdk forums for a while now...its been great in here over the entire awards season...we'll get our due with the next movie hopefully....maybe academy voters were confused and thought this was gonna be some part of a trilogy...and the reason they ignored this one is because its the middle movie and they've got some stupid idea in their heads that they'll only properly recognize a movie when its wrapping up a trilogy...like Lord of The Rings...what a joke...they knew King was just as good as Fellowship and Towers but waited because they didn't think it was ready until all was said and done. my opinion of course but again...you've got to wonder how clueless they all are.

That's why we have the People's Choice Awards for public opinion, for Christ's sake. The Oscars are decided by the people are in the industry, not just watching it. It's the professionals voting on the most professional work - not the most popular. If you think the people in the Oscars are blind, try achieving their work experience in films, then you can talk down on them.

BTW: Jon Voight supposedly voted for his daughter, Angelina, but agreed that Kate Winslet deserved to win. I'd vote for Winslet because I think she' the cat's meow. Angelina's just a media darling.

That's why we have the People's Choice Awards for public opinion, for Christ's sake. The Oscars are decided by the people are in the industry, not just watching it. It's the professionals voting on the most professional work - not the most popular. If you think the people in the Oscars are blind, try achieving their work experience in films, then you can talk down on them.

BTW: Jon Voight supposedly voted for his daughter, Angelina, but agreed that Kate Winslet deserved to win. I'd vote for Winslet because I think she' the cat's meow. Angelina's just a media darling.
Not really. The guilds are really decided by the people "in the industry." (And sometimes you can question their judgment too, LOL.) The Academy are industry people who can be active or has-beens. It's a life-long membership.

And many of them don't even bother to see all the movies before voting. How professional is that?

The Oscars are considered high school prom by people I know who work in the industry. It's fun, but it isn't the serious award that the public makes it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"