Guardians of the Galaxy The Rate and Review Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

WOW!!! It's amazing how u focused specifically on the exact same things I reacted to as well, all your points except #3. Sure it was a little cliche I will give you that, but not sure what u mean by "fake"- that seems like an odd comment. The reason I don't feel the same w/you on that point (like I do with you on the other points you made,) is that I see the non-earthlings as not as emotionally in-depth and comfortable expressing their selves. That's why Rocket is so apparent and transparent with his emotions. He acts one way but it's clear to see that he feels another--- same goes for Gamora, Nebula, and Yondu. It's almost like they're 12 year olds emotionally. The one emotion the group as a whole seems comfortable expressing is comradery. So keeping in mind what I said, when I see those scenes that would normally come off as corny, with this bunch they are more innocent so it actually comes across to me as heartfelt and sincere and works beautifully getting the audience to buy in to the scenes authenticity--- well at least for me any way.

But bravo to you on those other points cuz i promise you I felt the exact same way!!
I wrote that before reading James Gunn's message on facebook. Considering all the things he recently shared makes me really stand by my original comment and it makes those scenes so much more heartfelt and touching (James Gunn mentioned being closed off to receiving love, being suicidal, and touched on his on personal quest to find his place in the world). It's pretty obvious he's using the characters to tell a little bit of his own story in them.

Just saw the movie again still view it as very good but would rate it a 9.25 just dropped a quarter, thats like one third :cwink:

Noticed something about Mantis early on. She is very fidgety with her hands especially when Ego is around. That tells you have nervous she feels around him. Other than that I felt like I caught and heard everything in my first viewing.

Gave it a 9, might go up to a 10 after another watch. Simply incredibly well-done. The plot is feather-light, but in an ensemble piece like this, that's fine. You don't really care about the village in The Magnificent Seven, either, it's just there to give the characters something to do. And those characters! Kirk Russell in particular deserves some kind of Oscar for this, something like Best Taking Of An Insane Premise And Selling It So Well It Actually Carries Emotional Weight, or something like that.

I could go on forever, there's so many little, delightful bits, great moments and awesome action. Excellent, excellent film.

question about one of the end credits scenes:
was that guy using the same kind of magic as Dr Strange?
I was thinking the same think. I believe he may have used some sort of magic.

Yeah, the way Mantis acted around Ego was [BLACKOUT]such a dead giveaway that he was not to be trusted[/BLACKOUT].

question about one of the end credits scenes:
was that guy using the same kind of magic as Dr Strange?
Which guy?

Just saw the movie again, and probably would call this a 7.5/10 because it's reaching and not quite hitting sometimes. As in the humour, I think this one is trying a bit too hard to be a comedy sometimes, more so than the first one and not always hitting, and there's more of it which makes it a bit awkward after a while because you want it to always be great and it isn't quite.

Also the movie feels a hair too long and I suppose that also it's trying to be emotional and serious (e.g. the airlock stuff) whilst also being cutesy with Baby Groot and comic relief overload (e.g. Drax) so I'm not sure it knows exactly what it wants to be.

If we're going emotional and serious we could tone down on the Drax stuff just a little, or trim down some of the jokes before they lose their steam. It's kind like this big messy but impressive visual melting pot of different tones. All out of the crazy mind of James Gunn. So I supposed Marvel should be applauded for trying something so crazy, even if it doesn't all work.
I can see what you mean with the Drax comedy stuff. Most of the time he was used to tell the audience when to laugh. I think Batista played his part well, but I expect him to have more in IWs/Avengers 2019. Drax wants to kill Thanos and he will get his chance so I expect serious Drax.

Oh, you mean [BLACKOUT]the snake guy[/BLACKOUT]? Yeah, [BLACKOUT]it looked like he was using magic to me, too[/BLACKOUT].

Gave it a 9 the other day, wish I could change my vote to 10 now.

9/10

Put me in the camp that places this as BETTER than the first.

While not perfect, it was exactly what I wanted from the next installment of this franchise. More character depth and a deeper exploration of the relationships crudely established in the first film. The theme of family was front and center and handled with complexity as well as their signature fun. Bottom line, this movie is pure fun from start to finish with the resolution packing a far more emotional punch than I was expecting. Visually, the movie is amazing. The humor wasn't too much because it fit each character. Overall, the story and depth are far better here than Volume One .

I've seen it 3 times so far and it just gets better for me each time. Love the emotional resonance of this film. Definitely not as tight as the first film, but I like it even more. Big, bombastic, crazy and wonderful. Bravo James Gunn. 9/10.

I plan on seeing this a couple of more times this week. Only fair since I saw the first film 5 times in the theater...

I give it a six. I like the movie. I enjoyed it. It was funny, a little touching, and its so much fun to spend time with the characters.

I think tbe story was kind of weak. Not horrible like Amazing Spider-Man 2, but just weak. I realized part way through that I really had no invested interest in the story. I never thought "its so important that they complete this mission or finish this or that" the story didn't jump out as horrible. It was just uninteresting.

They could have went a little deeper with
Gamora's conflict and eventual reunification with her sister. Could have made us feel something. Could have used flash backs to their childhood. Could have showed her sister struggling to maintain her hate.

I really feel babygroot was severely underused. I would have preferred they come with a way to have a groot driven story.

Still overall loads of fun. I really enjoyed it.
I will miss Zondu.

Last edited:
I'd give it 8.5-9.

Great twist on villain, laughs, some sadness, heroism (well, there better be, this is, after all, a SH movie) and unexpected reveals. I think this, Ragnarok, AND BP are lead ups to IW.....maybe SMH???

I give it a six. I like the movie. I enjoyed it. It was funny, a little touching, and its so much fun to spend time with the characters.

I think tbe story was kind of weak. Not horrible like Amazing Spider-Man 2, but just weak. I realized part way through that I really had no invested interest in the story. I never thought "its so important that they complete this mission or finish this or that" the story didn't jump out as horrible. It was just uninteresting.

They could have went a little deeper with Gamora.......(edit) Could have made us feel something.

I really feel babygroot was severely underused. I would have preferred they come with a way to have a groot driven story.

Still overall loads of fun. I really enjoyed it. I will miss Zondu.

Spoiler Tags....regarding Gamora.....

Last edited:
I'd give it 8.5-9.

Great twist on villain, laughs, some sadness, heroism (well, there better be, this is, after all, a SH movie) and unexpected reveals. I think this, Ragnarok, AND BP are lead ups to IW.....maybe SMH???
Ragnarok should be some sort of lead in.

I expect BP to be as well but may also clue us in on what Cap has been up to.

Give me emotion!
Give me pain!
Give me laughter!
Give me spectacle!

Thank you James Gunn!

I have not seen this movie a second time as of yet, but I will say this:

I'm liking the movie more and more as I think about it. I'll need to see it again to confirm those feelings of course, but I think it's a good sign that I'm thinking more positively about it several days after seeing it.

Right now I'm at about an 8.5, though that may very well go up (voted a 9)

+Acting: Bautista, Cooper, Rooker, and Gillan were all spectacular, and everyone else was merely "great" lol
+Cameos: All well done, ranging from "huh, didnt see that coming" to "that was perfect!!"
+Action/SFX: not a damn thing to complain about

-Jokes: while most were good, some were a tad cringe-inducing
-Soundtrack: Nowhere near as good as the first... The songs this time were more somber, which was fitting, but lacked the fun of the first

All in all, I loved it

^ I think I love Awesome Mix Vol. 2 just as much as the first one. I have been listening to it constantly since seeing the movie. There's no sign of me wanting to stop, either. I have a feeling that will be the case for the whole Summer.

I may be a bit biased though because Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" is one of my top 10 favorite albums, George Harrison is my favorite Beatle, and "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" has always been one of my favorite songs. This soundtrack really catered to my tastes, I'd say. Haha.

I finally saw it today and I'm pretty blown away right now. I absolutely loved it! The first Guardians has been my favourite MCU movie since I saw it (biggest competition comes from TWS) but right now I think I like this a little more because that final act was just perfection. It was funny, thrilling, action packed and pulled a mean emotional gut punch. What an ending!

I'm giving it a 9 out of 10, I can't wait to see it again, I think I'll appreciate it even more a second time.

^ I think I love Awesome Mix Vol. 2 just as much as the first one. I have been listening to it constantly since seeing the movie. There's no sign of me wanting to stop, either. I have a feeling that will be the case for the whole Summer.

I may be a bit biased though because Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" is one of my top 10 favorite albums, George Harrison is my favorite Beatle, and "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" has always been one of my favorite songs. This soundtrack really catered to my tastes, I'd say. Haha.

Same here, I've been listening to Awesome Mix Vol. 2 on repeat pretty much non-stop for hours. :woot: It's right up my alley music-wise, what a seriously great soundtrack.

I'd give it an eight and I liked it more than the first one!

I thought it was a bit messy but I'd like to see it again so it did a lot right.

Very funny, still has great appeal and the characters have definitely grown in development. Can't wait for Infinity War & Vol.3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"