The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Discussion in 'Approval & General RPG Discussion' started by Batman, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Carnage27

Carnage27 No one's puppet

See my post above.

2. Byrd Man

Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

Make me! :cmad:

3. Byrd Man

I like these ideas. Make it democratic instead of MB approving. Who elected him?! Nobody! Divine Right my ass! Revolt on the monarchy! :cmad:

4. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Basically, if someone joins then drops, don't let them join the game that season again (or at least for a month or whatever). This one's hard to enforce because there are even veteran players who get excited, pick someone up, then run out of steam after a couple of posts. But I say, veteran players should no better than to go into a character without a story ready to go, or at least a bunch of posts in mind to play around with. Again, hard one to enforce. It's almost like vets need a different rule than newbs, which I'd rather avoid. Simpler is almost always better.

As for the D&D, I'll use the Star Trek game as an example.

5. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

I approve this message.

6. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

I'd have no problem running a ranking vote if no one else wants to, can figure out how to.

7. Andy C.

Andy C. Repent, Harlequin!

That's a question I'm wondering myself. Both the original version of Ultimate DC and All-Star Marvel were seriously plagued with this problem: people coming up with a cool alternate version of a character, writing a handful of posts, then dropping out. Then when new players want to come in and pick up said character, they see they've already been used and decide not to (and especially big problem in ASM since there are no retcons)

Basically, the GM in D&D and similar table-top games is the one who sets up the story arc, plans out all the encounters and battles, and plays the part of the monsters and NPCs that the players encounter. Think of him as the "computer" in a video game.

While this approach could work to great effect in a short, small-scale game like Hype Horrors, I don't necessarily think it would work particularly well in a large-scale ongoing game like WoH or Heroes vs. Villains (another game in dire need of revival). I can see the hands-on GM working when doing big events (say, Galactus invades), but otherwise it would severely handicap the amount of universe exploration that the players can do.

8. Catman_prb

Catman_prb Sad Clown

Would anyone be against me referencing the Basement on sites like tvtropes.org? It might generate a little more traffic, plus there's the sheer vanity of it...

9. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

:awesome:

10. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

That's pretty much behind what I was hoping to move the Trek game towards.

Also, because of the nature of the Trek universe, various ships could have their own missions where the Captain (or whoever came up with the idea) DM'd their ship's own little arc. But that's something that would work well in a Trek game, not necessarily a large comic game like WoH.

11. Byrd Man

Go for it. I'm looking up RPG ad sites myself.

12. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Because I'm bored, I'll try and explain how a ranking vote works (btw, it's also the method I wish elections used, but the general public is too dumb to do it right).

Let's say that 4 games are proposed: A, B, C, and D
    And ten players are interested in playing (not necessarily in all four games)

So when everyone votes, they don't just pick one. They rank them by which they want to play in most. So someone could rank them B, D, A, C and someone else C, B, D, A

So, everyone votes, ranking the games from 1st to 4th. The results of 1st place votes look like this

A: 4
    B: 2
    C: 3
    D: 1

It's true that A got the biggest number of 1st rankings, but most people would rather play in something else. Since D is the clear loser, that vote is moved to the person's 2nd choice. Let's say their second choice is C, it now looks like

B: 2
    C: 4

Ok. Now B is the loser. So we move those votes to their next picked game. Let's say they're both for C, it now looks like

C: 6

So C should be the game that gets played because, overall, A was ranked lowest among all the players.

13. Carnage27

14. trustyside-kick

trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

Posting to subscribe.

15. Byrd Man

That seems pretty fair to me. Not everybody's number one gets chosen, but nothing can be completely fair.

16. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Yeah, I figure it's better 6 out of 10 people get to play in their 1st or 2nd choice, and 4 not in their 1st, rather than the other way around. Hopefully it means more invested players.

17. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

I think wieg's solution for the short-term games is the best way to go. Through voting, we can keep things orderly and tight while still leaving it in the hands of the players involved - which is a philosophy that needs to be maintained throughout every decision made in here. We lose the community aspect of everything and we're finished.

18. Carnage27

So, are we going to like, ratify an RPG Constitution?

basically, when are we going to put any changes we decide upon into effect?

19. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Also, another idea that I had kicked around involved restructuring the boards themselves. Rather than divide each RPG up by company, I thought about maybe dividing them by type. For instance, here's my stab at how I would order it...

Approval & General RPG Discussion
    Mainstream Continuity Games (World of Heroes, Heroes Vs. Villains)
    Alternate Continuity Games (One Universe, Ultimate DC, All-Star Marvel)
    Misc Continuity Games (Star Wars, Create-A-Hero, Dream Team League?)
    Single Season Games (Speaks for itself)
    Archives

I wouldn't mind DTL still having it's own forums, just didn't know what everyone thought of it.

I think I want to move the Tournament threads out of the RPG boards. They don't really fit, IMO.

20. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

You can probably just write the DTL off as dead. :( If it ever restarts, we can create new stuff for it.

21. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

When we decide upon a number of changes, they'll likely be put into effect immediately.

But at the moment, it's too early to make any of them stick. We need to find a proper balance first, and the World of Heroes/One Universe seasons need to end for the final ones to begin, should that decision go through. The only change that I can see going through while still keeping the other games as they are is the idea of short-term games.

22. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Oh, don't get me excited. I love doing **** like that. :awesome:

23. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Then it can be moved to a Misc. board. I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind sharing the space. :p

24. Eddie Brock

Eddie Brock Golden Domer

I'm all for mandatory RPG wiki updates, and here's how I'd do it:

Want to have first "dibs," so to speak, on your character at the start of the next Season? You have to update the wiki on the previous Season. If you are unable or unwilling to do so, then anyone can apply for that character.

25. Rain Dog

Rain Dog Failure

I think that would confuse newbies.