The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Discussion in 'Approval & General RPG Discussion' started by Batman, Nov 29, 2010.

1. wiegeabo Omniposcient

Indeed!

You young kids, always wanting everything right now! :argh:

Learn to enjoy the wait. To paraphrase the great Charles Emerson Winchester III, anticipation should be savored as much as the experience itself.

2. Eddie Brock Golden Domer

I know that I sometimes let my excitement get the best of me, but for the most part I find the current Season breaks to be a joke. Four days? Why even bother ending the Season?

1. I don't have a preference, but I just assumed they'd run simultaneously for simplicity's sake.

2. Depending on when we start and end the Season, the midway point could be right around September, so to address your next point:

3. I think it could work, but I don't think it should be anything exceptionally long. A week, maybe two, would do it.

4. I figured that they would start with the New Year and continue on into the spring/early summer, ending right before the big RPGs get rolling.

3. Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

I like the few weeks between seasons. It seems like a good break and a way to try out the other games. I mean, the characters and storylines will still be waiting for you when you get back.

4. wiegeabo Omniposcient

Exactly.

Got a month off from WoH? Try a Murder Mystery!

5. NiteMare Shape Livin' like a Sheen

My only concern is that some of the games, particularly the games with user created continuity such as Star Wars and CAH depend greatly on the momentum from one season carrying over into the next. In games like that it would be very easy for them to lose that momentum which is so important.

6. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I have to say I'm against the idea of regimented season lengths. A season should go on for as long as there's a story to tell, or at least for as long as there's interest in a season. I don't think it should be about arbitrarily setting it out in advance that the story will go on for x amount of months.

7. Andy C. Repent, Harlequin!

I'm with Soze on that. A season should only end when it's obvious that everyone's reached a stopping point.

8. Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

I see the merits of both, really. On one hand, no time limit gives things a chance to progress naturally and for some good story-telling.

But having a finite ending date is kinda like what Soze brought up with knowing that the next coming season is your last. You gotta up your game, write your ass off and do some pretty incredible things.

9. wiegeabo Omniposcient

We've been doing it without a time limit this whole time. And more often then not, what I've seen is all but a few players taking their sweet time, and seasons sprawling out in length and getting very decompressed. And once a GM says I'd like to wrap up the season, everyone starts saying "I need a couple more weeks!" "I need more time!" And then they rush to finish it all up.

I think it's time to try something new. If it doesn't work, we can always go back. And it's not like it has to be a hard fast date. If things are really exciting or the situation otherwise calls for it, it could always be extended a week or two. Or it might be wrapped up early (yeah, like that'll ever happen :p)

10. Carnage27 No one's puppet

I see merits on both sides as well. But personally, I think having a rigid season promotes constant posting. The current setup tends to allow people to lollygag, and promotes posting lulls.

Now, that being said, I do think the season could be extended, but for not very long, and only if there are good reasons from dedicated players.

11. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

I'm still reading this thread fyi so don't shoot me if later on in discussion you guys went into more detail about these that I saved from wieg's quoted post but the items I kept are ones I approve of (adjustments/comments I make are in bold):

And I'm off for pretty much the evening so won't be here to actively see responses and what not.

12. wiegeabo Omniposcient

Definitely agree with the consecutive seasons. If no one wants to pick up a character, might as well let the last player have them.

Except, there is something to be said about making them play someone else. But, if they're not interested in anyone else...

13. wiegeabo Omniposcient

I can't say anything about CaH because I've only been around for season 2. And Star Wars is still in season 1.

But, the way I figure it, if the Star Wars movies can find places to stop and then pick up much later, so can the games (It'll work really well for the SW game ;))

And there doesn't have to be a big gap, in game time, between seasons. But I've found that, for me, having a long break is a good chance to recharge because I burn out. And I'd be curious to see if a prolonged break would help other players, even if they don't realize it.

14. Batman Dramatic Example

While I do agree that, from a storytelling standpoint, it'd be a bit restricting... there's the flipside of that, where entire seasons lull and drag themselves towards the end over the entire span of a year just for the sake of the story. Something's obviously not right about that, because people barely post in between the beginning and the end of that year's span. Confining it a bit would trim the fat, so to speak, from the story that needs to be told as opposed to the little extra bits that ultimately amount to a player either posting to keep a character or uninspired writing.

15. Rain Dog Failure

As wieg said, I think this would actually benefit the Star Wars RPG. And I personally thing the lack of a break between Seasons 2 and 3 of CAH is so slow right now.

16. Saved SynTheMerc

Syn's 2 cents:

I count myself included in what I'm about to say, hence what I say is in the third person - not first.

1) There's like, nine active RPG posters who are involved in rpgs at this time. Out of these nine, five to seven are in more than one game. That's less than nine people spread across 6-7 RPGs. Most of these nine people tend to play the same characters, therefore, they all tend to interact with one another with the same characters. Despite everyone's talent, it tends to get old.

2) In every RPG, it tends to be the same people running the 'major arcs' that incorporate the whole RPG and essentially classify that season of a specific RPG. Because of this, the major threat that opposes everyone in the RPG also tends to only be beaten by the major heroes (because that's the way it is in the comics, generally), so the people playing the big league characters become pivitol, while everyone else just sits idle until the arc's climax ends.

3) It's not the availability of the character's that drives interest in an RPG - it's the availability of the posters who control the big characters in an RPG. Or, not even the big characters - just the characters who are pivitol in a specific season of an RPG. The more available the posters playing the core characters are, the more interest in the RPG there will be.

4) The major arcs driving a season tend to be centric around a certain class or group of characters. It may start out as expansive, and open to any character, but it always ends with a specific group of characters as important to the arc at hand.

5) A lot of the recent major arcs tend to be action and disaster - big monumental threats solved by brute force and perserverence. Not everyone has a character who has super strength, speed, invulnerability, etc. What happened to threats that occur on a psychologic level - threatening the characters' status or roles, as oppossed to their physical stature? It always seems that at the end of these arcs, the only ramnifications are characters die (who will be revived next season anyway), or easily restored alterations to the status quo. It feels like the arcs serve no purpose to the rpg as a whole - the arc just becomes a way for characters to have interaction on a major scale together, which is fine, but after multiple seasons in multiple rpgs? It gets old.

5) Not every major arc needs to follow what's happening in the comics right now. We just read it - I don't want to re-enact it with slight varients in the RPGs. (This is not just referring to DC RPG - it's been happening since I've been here).

These are just some things that come to my mind off hand. There's probably more, but I think that's enough from me right now anyway. This is not meant to offend anyone, nor is it directed at any poster specifically. I'm guilty of these just as much as anyone else, but it doesn't mean it doesn't affect the RPGs. Hopefully this helps.

#141 Saved, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  17. Batman Dramatic Example

...more than nine people have posted in this thread alone.

:p

18. wiegeabo Omniposcient

Oh, are we're in season 3 of CAH? My bad.

19. Saved SynTheMerc

What I meant to say was 9 rpgers who are reliable who post in RPGs, and don't drop out on a dime only to later return or what have you.

Clearly, I am not one of the 9 rpgers I refer to, by my own definition.

20. wiegeabo Omniposcient

We need a 52. A major arc where the B and C characters are the only ones that can save the universe.

I remember my first couple of seasons in WoH where the comics were following us. :(

21. Rain Dog Failure

Wow...typo's galore in my last sentence. What I meant to say was:

"And I personally think the lack of a break between Seasons 2 and 3 of CAH is the reason why it's so slow right now."

22. Saved SynTheMerc

Also, I think Major Arcs work best when everyone's character can contribute to the end - not just contribute to the arc, I mean contribute to its resolution. If we're all waiting around for specific people to do specific things, the majority of the RPG become spectators and then interest plummets.

23. wiegeabo Omniposcient

Next time the world's coming to an end, I'm gonna pick up Booster Gold just to screw everyone's plans up. :hehe:

24. Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

"Hey guys, I'll go back and time and stop it all from starting. Lolz!"

25. NiteMare Shape Livin' like a Sheen

That's actually a very good point, and is exactly something that I'm hoping to correct in CAH with the big arc this season. Keep everyone involved and make everyone's contributions mean something to the final resolution.