Days of Future Past The Sentinels - Part 1

The future mutants were an upgrade that we never seen before! Once yoee hem in acto i's bvious how no huma had a chance.
:huh::huh::huh:

So how did they explain the fact that they had Sentinels in the 70's, NONE in the original Trilogy, and upgraded ones in the future?

I loved the Sentinels. Both incarnations.

And don't even get me started on their size. I remember some Hypesters saying that the Sentinels would probably be able to alter their size and shape. Turned out to be a huge hell no. Sigh...damn it, Singer. You made such a great movie but those future Sentinels...they were disastrous.

The Future Sentinels were around 12ft considering it's size against Colossus. It wasn't their size that made them powerful, it was their durability, abilities and numbers.

I thought the Sentinels were pretty awesome, mainly because of how effective they were as killing machines. Fairly surprised how brutal some of those scenes were.

The Future Sentinels were around 12ft considering it's size against Colossus. It wasn't their size that made them powerful, it was their durability, abilities and numbers.

12ft seems short for a Sentinel.

And don't even get me started on their size. I remember some Hypesters saying that the Sentinels would probably be able to alter their size and shape. Turned out to be a huge hell no. Sigh...damn it, Singer. You made such a great movie but those future Sentinels...they were disastrous.

I'm glad I read spoilers that there is only one fight against the Sentinels in the past. The one in the trailer with Wolverine.

When I see the movie tonight, if I didn't know about that, I would have been a tad pissed. I get that the main Sentinel action is in the future scenes but it would have been nice to have a small squad of them having to be taken out in the past. Missed opportunity.

Yup. I was left waiting on the "big one" to come and take them out.

Im disappointed with the sentinels, the future sentinels more so, but they work within the story well enough that i can accept it.

I just wanted the X-men to have some actual success against the "ground units" and then the ultimate Mark X sentinel to come in and destroy them.

I wanted to see sentinels just towering over the Mutant prisoners at the beginning of the movie too, just standing there ominously 2 stories tall.

Sentinels were terrific! I was surprised how much the future ones were shown/used. There powers were also terrific, really makes you understand why the future needs to be changed. Pretty awesome!

I do wish the past ones were utilized more, and I was kind of letdown that they were just manipulated by Magneto. Really wanted to see them against him.

Also, I hope this isn't the last we see of them! It be cool to see them in "Apocalypse".

So how did they explain the fact that they had Sentinels in the 70's, NONE in the original Trilogy, and upgraded ones in the future?
:csad:

And was there a MasterMold in the movie?
x-men_L43.jpg

Saw this on IMDB.

The way the sentinel program is in the movies cleverly has them ingrained in the past but manages to also explain why they weren't in the original trilogy.

Original timeline: Trask proposes the Sentinel program and congress denies it. Mystique discovers his research and kills him, but in the process creates a mistrust and fear of mutants. Anti-mutant sentiment spreads over the years until decades later, his work with the Sentinels is finally made a reality as Prof. X and Magneto recruit Wolverine in the airport. Ten years later, the Sentinels have wiped out the world and Wolverine is sent back in time to change history.

New timeline: Trask proposes the Sentinel program and congress denies it. Mystique discovers his research and attempts to kill him, but this time he survives as a result of Wolverine's intervention. He now lives to approach Nixon and receives funding for the Sentinel program, which launches immediately (instead of decades later following the events of The Wolverine). Magneto tampers with the Sentinels, which now pose a threat to humans. The world sees a mutant save the President and increases pro-mutant sympathy, the Sentinel program is seen as dangerous and is permanently scrapped, and Trask is discredited and arrested. A more mutant friendly world is created without any threat from the Sentinels.

I really liked the basic look of the Future Sentinels, but I didn't like how they moved: they should have been more machine-like. Also the way they fought wasn't really all that interesting or original IMO. They just absorbed powers and blasted them back at people.
That's probably (at least in part) because an Empire article suggested it:
"We started with this idea that they were almost made up of magnetic plates slapped over one another, imagining that the plates could contract or grow over each other, so the Sentinel can be skinny to get through a small space or the plates can open up to become a bigger shape. So they have become virtually unstoppable."
That was per a production designer.

I really liked the basic look of the Future Sentinels, but I didn't like how they moved: they should have been more machine-like. Also the way they fought wasn't really all that interesting or original IMO. They just absorbed powers and blasted them back at people. That's probably (at least in part) because an Empire article suggested it:
"We started with this idea that they were almost made up of magnetic plates slapped over one another, imagining that the plates could contract or grow over each other, so the Sentinel can be skinny to get through a small space or the plates can open up to become a bigger shape. So they have become virtually unstoppable."

F**king production designers. :doh:
The original Sentinels in 1965 were only about 10 feet. They've varied in size throughout the years.

Having grown up in the 90's, I'm used to the bigger Sentinels.

TBF he was probably telling the truth. They probably did come up with all of these cool ideas. They just were never taken advantage of when it came to filming the actual movie.

Having grown up in the 90's, I'm used to the bigger Sentinels.

likewise, but I'm just stating they've also varied in size even in current times other than the classic 90's look.

I really liked the basic look of the Future Sentinels, but I didn't like how they moved: they should have been more machine-like. Also the way they fought wasn't really all that interesting or original IMO. They just absorbed powers and blasted them back at people. That's probably (at least in part) because an Empire article suggested it:

They don't absorb powers. It was said several times throughout the film that they were built so that they could adapt to any opponent they fought.

If Iceman freezes them they will heat up to melt the ice. When they get hit by Sunspot's flames they turn to diamond to resist heat. Turn to metal to penetrate Colossus' armor etc...

They don't absorb powers. It was said several times throughout the film that they were built so that they could adapt to any opponent they fought.

If Iceman freezes them they will heat up to melt the ice. When they get hit by Sunspot's flames they turn to diamond to resist heat. Turn to metal to penetrate Colossus' armor etc...
You're right, I don't know why I said absorb there. :doh:

Huh, I really enjoyed the future Sentinels. The scene where [blackout]we think they are wiped out but then we see a few are climbing up the wall made them look like something from a nightmare.[/blackout] Seriously, their design was fantastic.

Wasn't feeling the future Sentinels. Preferred the 70s Sentinels.

Sentinels were terrific! I was surprised how much the future ones were shown/used. There powers were also terrific, really makes you understand why the future needs to be changed. Pretty awesome!

I do wish the past ones were utilized more, and I was kind of letdown that they were just manipulated by Magneto. Really wanted to see them against him.

Also, I hope this isn't the last we see of them! It be cool to see them in "Apocalypse".

Agreed with everything you said but I don't think we'll see the Sentinels again. They are too powerful and the conclusion of the film doesn't allow for it. It might be possible to see the 70s version again. Maybe some of the older models are hanging out in a warehouse somewhere and are dusted off to send against Apocalypse or something but I don't think we'll see the Mark X again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"