The Wolverine The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread: - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
BPdNsGsCIAAolqo.jpg:large

Anyone know where this is from?

Oh my godddd

THAT must be from the post credit scene. We know it's not from when he goes to Japan, reason being that we've seen that scene in mutliple trailers before, in Canada there is snow on the ground, and he is still in crazy homeless person mode. We even see him on the plane in crazy homeless person mode. In here, it's bright sunny, not a single snow pile or wet puddle in sight.

IMO it's Japan, he cut his hair in plane, didn't want to look like homeless there.

IMO it's Japan, he cut his hair in plane, didn't want to look like homeless there.

Doubtfull because he's not wearing the same thing as when he goes to meet Yoshida for the first time, and why would he be facing a plane when he's getting off it.

In May, when they filmed after credit scene he had longer hair. That's The Wolverine haircut.

The reviews have been saying this movie is more based on character than anything else. The action scenes have gotten decent reviews from what I could tell. Some are even saying that the action does get too heavy at some point which gives the first hour or so of the Wolverine a big contrast to the last few minutes of the movie. Also people shouldn't expect too much building crashing or too much blockbuster feeling to the movie since it's very grounded.

It doesn't have to be large scale and building crashing or too much blockbuster feeling to make a well choreographed fight scene, which is what i expect from wolverine. save that for sentinel in DOFP. I prefer one-on-one grounded fights and origins is one of the worst fight scenes I have every seen. and so far no director has honed in on the fighting style of wolverine, they came close in X2 and I don't think they will achieve it in The Wolverine.

Only one of those quotes was solely about the bullet train sequence, most of them were praising the action/fight choreography in general. I don't think the action is something that needs to be worried about. Personally I'm glad Mangold has focused on character and plot, it's what makes a film good after all.

of course a focused character and plot is vital to a good movie, but we have done/tried/beaten a dead horse with the 4 x-men movies with wolverine. They have made wolverine into a convoluted mess by X3 and origins and he has got only character development so far thanks to Jackman's respect and enthusiasm for playing the character.
But Plot is just a small part of Wolverine, action should always come first in a movie like this and so far no director has got in the right mindset for it. I am not hating on the plot, but it has been done and someone should focus on the fighter that is Wolverine.

Last edited:
of course a focused character and plot is vital to a good movie, but we have done/tried/beaten a dead horse with the 4 x-men movies with wolverine. They have made wolverine into a convoluted mess by X3 and origins and he has got only character development so far thanks to Jackman's respect and enthusiasm for playing the character.
But Plot is just a small part of Wolverine, action should always come first in a movie like this and so far no director has got in the right mindset for it. I am not hating on the plot, but it has been done and someone should focus on the fighter that is Wolverine.

Uh, no thanks. Character is what makes action matter at all, that's the core.

Action should NEVER come first. Action without character, plotting, or things to care about is pointless and annoying (the Transformers films). DOFP will have the insane action, this is a character study on a broken man finding a purpose for his life (and it will have cool actions scenes as well).

Uh, no thanks. Character is what makes action matter at all, that's the core.

guess what? core of wolverine is action
Action can work wonders to develop wolverine's character.
I am not saying action is better than character/plot or vice versa, but for Wolverine's case, action can speak louder than words.
what does a wolverine who rips his foes to shreds compare to one that plays fencing with his adamantium claws?
just my opinion of course.

Action should NEVER come first. Action without character, plotting, or things to care about is pointless and annoying (the Transformers films). DOFP will have the insane action, this is a character study on a broken man finding a purpose for his life (and it will have cool actions scenes as well).

you guys seems to misunderstand me, of course character, plotting is the scaffold that holds action. personally i feel Wolverine will be left unfinished if the action does not meet a certain level.

Last edited:
If you think the core of Wolverine is action, then we have very different views on the character (it's like saying the core of Batman is action).

If you think the core of Wolverine is action, then we have very different views on the character (it's like saying the core of Batman is action).

I think wolverine is more of a feral beast questioning his purpose as a killing machine, rather than lovesick isolated recluse. I don't mind knowing what you think of what wolverine embodies.

I think wolverine is more of a feral beast questioning his purpose as a killing machine, rather than lovesick isolated recluse. I don't mind knowing what you think of what wolverine embodies.

There's plenty of action in the movie, so don't worry about that.

The story is, however, based on the idea of him struggling with his immortality (meaning he loses everyone he loves) rather than on struggling with his inner beast (which was the poorly-explored theme of Origins).

I found the action intense and visceral, there's no problems on that front.

X-Maniac I have a question. Are Yukio and Mariko portrayed well and are they an important part of the film (I find that the X-Women are often more interesting than the men)? I don't want specifics, just your general impressions.

There's plenty of action in the movie, so don't worry about that.

The story is, however, based on the idea of him struggling with his immortality (meaning he loses everyone he loves) rather than on struggling with his inner beast (which was the poorly-explored theme of Origins).

I found the action intense and visceral, there's no problems on that front.

I have yet to watch the movie so I cannot made any judgements, so I am gonna take you word for it. obviously i am not expecting the best wolverine movie evar, but a good wolverine cbm movie is more than enough.

X-Maniac I have a question. Are Yukio and Mariko portrayed well and are they an important part of the film (I find that the X-Women are often more interesting than the men)? I don't want specifics, just your general impressions.

Yes, they work well. Yukio is not exactly the same as the comics because
she is also a mutant who gets occasional/unreliable precognitive flashes of people's deaths
, but as characters they work really well on screen (whereas Viper is overcooked and gets a bit campy and veers towards Poison Ivy).

Overall, Yukio comes across better than Mariko because Yukio is more of a constant presence as Wolverine's sidekick.

Last edited:
I have yet to watch the movie so I cannot made any judgements, so I am gonna take you word for it. obviously i am not expecting the best wolverine movie evar, but a good wolverine cbm movie is more than enough.

It's a bit short of the 'best ever' because of a few things that could have been adjusted - and which many reviews have also pointed out.

It does stray into Hollywood action/comic blockbuster formula at times, although no skyscrapers fall down (unlike every other action movie from Hollywood this year).

The fight scenes and action are very intense and you do see Wolverine very vulnerable as well as very badass. I liked feeling that Wolverine was under real and terrible threat in that way. I really wasn't sure how they would end the movie - you feel that anything could happen, even the worst possible scenario.

Overall, despite my criticisms and as I said on Twitter, it rocks!

Thanks X-Maniac, sounds good. I'm fine with them making changes as long as the character still works well.

Wow, if you think that what Woverine embodies is a feral beast questioning himself and that's it...i wonder how much you actually know about Logan.

He is that, of course, but a lovesick isolated recluse also fit the bills. A recurring theme in Logan's life is tragedy...not just because of his feral nature, but also because of loved ones he's lost in his long life.That fact also defined him as a character.

If you noticed, the more memorable Wolverine stories actually has that element.For example, Frank Miller's origin central theme is Logan trying to prove that he's worth mariko's love,The early X-men stories with Wolverine in it, there's this ongoing love triangle between Logan, Scott and Jean.When Mariko died in the comic, part of Logan also died with her. At the end of Origin mini series, after accidently killing Rose-which he was also in love with at the time- he did become a recluse.

There's also how he interacts with hcaracters such as Jubilee,X-23 and children in general.To say that what he is is a killing machine with a conscience is just...wrong.For guy who is considered to be the deadliest human to ever walk on two legs and draw breath, the guy got heart the size of Canada ...

To me personally, that's Logan's real mutant power..heh...not his feral instincts or his healing factor, it's how picks himself up after each tragedy, a tragedy that would destroy any other guy, and just keeps going.

That's also why i became a fan of the character...and that's why i'm glad that this movie is taking this route.

But then you end with the same problem that MoS and IM3 had, lots of action but not with any characters you care about to their fate in the fight when it happens.

I disagree that MOS was all about action (love that movie), but that's another matter for another time. Wolverine is a man who's life has been marked by tragedy, violence, and death. He struggles between the animalistic side of himself, and the honorable Samurai side. He struggles to be a better and more ethical man while still being willing to get his hands dirty for what he considers to be the greater good. He's extremely intelligent while having bouts of madness and murderous rage. Logan is actually one of the most complex characters in comics (when he's written correctly).

But then you end with the same problem that MoS and IM3 had, lots of action but not with any characters you care about to their fate in the fight when it happens.

where did those 2 movies come from?, I was only talking about Wolverine's character, which is very different from IM and Superman. Those are different scenarios. imo IM3 and MoS had great character developments, with the latter being a tad bit over the top.

Wow, if you think that what Woverine embodies is a feral beast questioning himself and that's it...i wonder how much you actually know about Logan.

He is that, of course, but a lovesick isolated recluse also fit the bills. A recurring theme in Logan's life is tragedy...not just because of his feral nature, but also because of loved ones he's lost in his long life.That fact also defined him as a character.

If you noticed, the more memorable Wolverine stories actually has that element.For example, Frank Miller's origin central theme is Logan trying to prove that he's worth mariko's love,The early X-men stories with Wolverine in it, there's this ongoing love triangle between Logan, Scott and Jean.When Mariko died in the comic, part of Logan also died with her. At the end of Origin mini series, after accidently killing Rose-which he was also in love with at the time- he did become a recluse.

There's also how he interacts with hcaracters such as Jubilee,X-23 and children in general.To say that what he is is a killing machine with a conscience is just...wrong.For guy who is considered to be the deadliest human to ever walk on two legs and draw breath, the guy got heart the size of Canada ...

To me personally, that's Logan's real mutant power..heh...not his feral instincts or his healing factor, it's how picks himself up after each tragedy, a tragedy that would destroy any other guy, and just keeps going.

That's also why i became a fan of the character...and that's why i'm glad that this movie is taking this route.

you seem to misinterpret my point. I was only touching his surface and the overall demeanor he shows. I completely agree with the points you mentioned. He is the most hardcore/complex character in the marvel universe and should be treated as such. Look how Origins turned out, they made him into a melodramatic cesspool. He is not the person one would have a heart-to-heart conversation. He slices first and talks later.

I may have exaggerated the lovesick recluse persona, mainly because i had origins in mind and I was purely talking from an action prespective. yes it is a huge part of him, I am just saying that his warrior side is not being shown enough, which is also a big part of his character.
like you said having the heart of the size of canada, I really want to see how Wolverine in the weapon X program transforms into the person in X1-2. unfortunately origins ruined it for me.

Again I am not complaining the movie's characterization of the emotional side of Wolverine or the route it takes, in fact this is the path I would recommend directors choose. I am not worried about Wolverine's story side in the movies but rather his warrior side. all I am saying is for a guy with adamantium skeleton with claws, healing factor, and a Beserker rage, he is not depicted properly in terms of action in the movies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"