The Wolverine The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread: - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be re-watching them all again this weekend too!

I have already rewatched both first Class and Origins.Once the fox panel ends tonight I will start rewatching the trilogy.And then friday comes the WOlverine.

1. X-2: X-Men United (The most complete, emotionally satisfying film)

2. X-Men: First Class (Just below X-2 because of the underdeveloped "First Class" of mutants, though Fassbender and McAvoy almost completely redeem it)

3. X-Men (Great start for the series, but without the heights of the films above)

4. X-Men 3: The Last Stand (Good action scenes, but character motivations are all over the place)

5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (I like it more than most, but it rarely registers above a live action cartoon with poor writing)

1. X-2: X-Men United (The most complete, emotionally satisfying film)

2. X-Men: First Class (Just below X-2 because of the underdeveloped "First Class" of mutants, though Fassbender and McAvoy almost completely redeem it)

3. X-Men (Great start for the series, but without the heights of the films above)

4. X-Men 3: The Last Stand (Good action scenes, but character motivations are all over the place)

5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (I like it more than most, but it rarely registers above a live action cartoon with poor writing)

Is that the way you would watch them you think?

I have a similar ranking, I'd swap around x3 and wolverine. I don't like much about x3(the only things I like are the music, and wolverines jump from the x-jet. That's it.) There are many more scenes I like in origins, so that's my reason for swapping the two terrible movies.

I've often debated my love for x1 though. I can't say it's the best, it certainly is the 3rd best film technically, but MIGHT just be my favorite. Nostalgia has a certain part to do with it ;)

Is that the way you would watch them you think?

I have a similar ranking, I'd swap around x3 and wolverine. I don't like much about x3(the only things I like are the music, and wolverines jump from the x-jet. That's it.) There are many more scenes I like in origins, so that's my reason for swapping the two terrible movies.

I've often debated my love for x1 though. I can't say it's the best, it certainly is the 3rd best film technically, but MIGHT just be my favorite. Nostalgia has a certain part to do with it ;)

I think Origins is a inferior film to X3, but X3 got whapped harder because it had the hype factor going against it. X2 was a really solid movie, and the hype for X3 was huge, so people were extremely harsh on it. Not only that, but it mishandled two fan favorite storylines (the cure and the Phoenix saga).

Don't get me wrong, it's still not a very good movie, but Origins was even worse, in terms of bad writing and corny moments. But everyone was going into Origins with caution, and after the leaked version came out, expectations were very low. I think that has colored people's reactions to the two films.

Havin watched X3 and Origins again recently, for me X3 is way better than Origins. Yeah neither are particularly good but X3 at least has some decent "moments". Origins is just a mess and cringe worthy.

Havin watched X3 and Origins again recently, for me X3 is way better than Origins. Yeah neither are particularly good but X3 at least has some decent "moments". Origins is just a mess and cringe worthy.

The biggest frustration for me with Origins is that it actually had a very good cast. Liev did a great job with a piss poor script as Sabretooth. I would have loved to see him with decent material to work with.

I think Origins is a inferior film to X3, but X3 got whapped harder because it had the hype factor going against it. X2 was a really solid movie, and the hype for X3 was huge, so people were extremely harsh on it. Not only that, but it mishandled two fan favorite storylines (the cure and the Phoenix saga).

Don't get me wrong, it's still not a very good movie, but Origins was even worse, in terms of bad writing and corny moments. But everyone was going into Origins with caution, and after the leaked version came out, expectations were very low. I think that has colored people's reactions to the two films.

All that is indeed true, and I totally agree. But I enjoy origins more. Even though what you said is correct, it goes with the overall enjoyment of the film too. The years have passed, im passed being colored a certain way by previous films or expectations etc. i can look at them fairly. It does not help x3 that it screwed up so many things.

The real reasons I hate x3 are more than just those mentioned. The arrogant director. I can respect certain directors and that helps, but not Ratner. The line directly taken from a YouTube meme that immediately disrespects the character and material. The bowling pin sound effects. The cgi that was way worse then x1 and 2. So many different things. As I said before the only things I actually ENJOY about x3 is the music, and wolverines jump from the x-jet lol.

Origins was bad. It was, but it's just more enjoyable to me. Jackman is the main star and he still plays wolverine the best he could. I did not have a real problem with how Deadpool(weapon 11) was handled because its not THAT different from the comics. There are more scenes I can enjoy in origins than in x3 In terms of its technical work. The final fight with Weapon 11 is great. I had immense hype for origins before release. I thought X3 was just a misstep. I had full trust in Gavin and Jackman. Just as much hype as I had before x3. So the colored expectations didn't effect me. I also loved the music to origins, so on this basis compared to x3, there are more aspects I like about origins than the 2 I like about x3. So origins is the shorter of two s***stacks.

The biggest frustration for me with Origins is that it actually had a very good cast. Liev did a great job with a piss poor script as Sabretooth. I would have loved to see him with decent material to work with.

Schieber, much like Grammar, is a great casting squandered in an inferior film. Sabertooth is the only thing remotely enjoyable about XOW, but nowhere near good enough to save it. I wouldn't mind seeing him back for something in the future. There's more to do with that character.

Neither the last stand or origins Is particular good film.I would have been fine If Bryan SInger with DOFP would have removes them from cannon.But If you asked me which one of 2 Is more enjoyable to watch I woud say Origins.Just because as followup to X2 last stand fails miserable.Origins Is a much lower expections for me.

Well as long as we're ranking....

First Class > X2 > X1 > Wolverine > X3

Neither the last stand or origins Is particular good film.I would have been fine If Bryan SInger with DOFP would have removes them from cannon.But If you asked me which one of 2 Is more enjoyable to watch I woud say Origins.Just because as followup to X2 last stand fails miserable.Origins Is a much lower expections for me.

I think therein lies the reason why people are so much harsher on X3. When you watch the films back to back, there's no question that Origins is the inferior film. Heck, it's got CGI in it that's just indefensible. There's no reason that Wolverine's claws should look worse then X1.

But really no one was expecting Origins to be good by the time it was released. Everyone thought X3 would be epic, bolstered both by how good X2 was, and an incredibly epic trailer. X3's trailer, much like SM3, made it look like it was going to be mind-blowingly amazing. Which only added to the fan backlash.

But, back to the topic at hand, I'm still cautiously optimistic for The Wolverine. I'm not really sure what to make of the reviews it's getting yet. This year has been the first time I really didn't agree with the critics. I enjoyed the MOS film quite a bit. It had it's obvious flaws, but I thought they were harder on it then they needed to be. I'm not sure if they're doing the same with TW or not yet.

Really, the entire time I haven't been able to make heads or tails of this film. The marketing and clips I've seen have both looked amazing, and then have things that make me nervous (Robo-samurai). Not only that, this is based off my all time favorite storyline of the comics, so I have high expectations. I'm already nervous that they've moved Shingin to the background and made him less of a badass then he was in the original story. And part of me is worried that they're losing sight of what the original theme of the original four issue mini was: Wolverine's struggle between the beast and being an honorable warrior.

I haven't agreed with the overall critics' consensus either this year. I didn't like Iron Man 3 (and it wasn't really to do with Mandarin changes), I hated Pacific Rim, and I really liked Man of Steel!

What you call 'robo-samurai - which may or may not be exactly correct - works within the context of the movie. At least, I thought so.

But the key theme is more to do with immortality than with being an honorable warrior, because Wolverine is summoned to Japan by a dying man, not for any other reasons. In the comic, he went there for other reasons, so it had a whole different starting point.

I haven't agreed with the overall critics' consensus either this year. I didn't like Iron Man 3 (and it wasn't really to do with Mandarin changes), I hated Pacific Rim, and I really liked Man of Steel!

What you call 'robo-samurai - which may or may not be exactly correct - works within the context of the movie. At least, I thought so.

But the key theme is more to do with immortality than with being an honorable warrior, because Wolverine is summoned to Japan by a dying man, not for any other reasons. In the comic, he went there for other reasons, so it had a whole different starting point.

Yep. I know it's an adaptation of the source material, not a direct translation. Still, the whole theme of the original mini was Wolverine's struggle between the beast and the man. Shingin defeats him and calls him an animal. Wolverine is in love with Mariko, and she represents the honor, duty, and civilized part of humanity he yearns to join, Yukio, another lover, represents the wild, unchecked, do whatever you want nature of his animal side.

It was a great story to underline Wolverine's biggest theme, which has always been "animal vs man." And unfortunately, it's the one thing none of the movies have portrayed well. Which is sad, given that it's the biggest theme of Wolverine as a fictional character.

One thing I would like to know, which is a spoiler, is the Shingin fight or the robo fight the climactic battle in the film?

Fantastic :up: I disliked iron man 3 aswell and loved MoS!

Why do you need to know that exact information?

Because it gives me a clue on how they're treating Shingin's character in the film. I've been worried for a while that he get's pushed to the side in favor of the other villains.

Iron Man 3 was just okay for me. I found some parts to be funny including the reveal of mandarin. But yeah tons of critics loved Iron Man 3. I definitely enjoyed Man of Steel more, I watched it two times. Critics were split for Man of Steel. Mixed reviews at best.

I enjoyed both Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel. But my favorite movie of the summer so far was Star Trek Into Darkness. I saw that one 3 times.

I enjoyed both Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel. But my favorite movie of the summer so far was Star Trek Into Darkness. I saw that one 3 times.

Definitely my favorite so far too. I love Cumberbatch. I thought he was amazing when I first started watching Sherlock two years ago, and I'm glad he's starting to grow in hype. Did you see his comic con video?

Definitely my favorite so far too. I love Cumberbatch. I thought he was amazing when I first started watching Sherlock two years ago, and I'm glad he's starting to grow in hype. Did you see his comic con video?

I just put Sherlock on my Netflix queue, haven't started watching it yet. He was amazing in Star Trek! Where can I find his Comic-Con video?

I just put Sherlock on my Netflix queue, haven't started watching it yet. He was amazing in Star Trek! Where can I find his Comic-Con video?

Start watching it NOW. Right now, drop what you're doing and go watch it. For serious.

I love that series. I'm a big Holmes fan, and it's by far my favorite adaptation of him.

This is his comic con video. It's Sherlock related, and does reference the ending of S2, so you may want to wait on it, but it's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9t0nJtwtRGw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"