The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread:

Discussion in 'The Wolverine' started by Thread Manager, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Yep, me too. The visuals in the The Wolverine trailer are quite underwhelming and weak for the most part. Not that I expected something on the level seen in the Only God Forgives trailer, but at least something similar to it. It would be such a great fit for Wolverine and especially this story.

2. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

But then again, Nicolas Winding Refn is nearly prodigious with his shot compositions.(and use of music). Not every director can replicate his talent, which is why he is probably the brightest young talent currently working.

3. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

kinda wish WB would let him do WW like he wants

4. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

I think Wolverine looks colourful enough, lets remember a lot of the scenes in the trailer were in daylight in pretty exotic locations which I think we will see more of in the actual movie.

Mangold has some very cinematic shots in his movies so far, hell just watch 3:10 to Yuma.

5. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

The same was said about Mr. Hood. If you don't have a powerful producer, Fox has a way of making you make their movie for them. We'll see what happens.
    I'm not the biggest fan of drive(and it's hipper love), but if they literally called that new God Forgives trailer "The wolverine" I'm sure people would be talking.

6. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

^Hood had to deal with Rothman though, were as Mangold doesnt, lets face it Fox has been much better at handling their movies the last few years, and they have brought out some decent ones as well.

Plus Mangold has done a lot more movies than Hood as well.

7. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Rothman always gets the blame. But he was the boss of FOX, Hood was working for him and if you're a great director/screenwriter, you can still deliver a great product whatever suggestions your boss gave to you.

8. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I don't know myself how much Rothman was involved, but I just don't agree with that sentiment. Executive meddling can easily sink a potentially good movie.

9. psylockolussus

That is still not an excuse to deliver a script full of cliche lines and a film filled with poor visual effects and cinematography. Do you still have to blame Rothman for those things?

10. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

And who do you think hired the script writers and signed off on the script? Gavin Hood?

11. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

You seem to think that if Rothman did any meddling on Origins then it can just easily be made into something great. I disagree. But that doesn't mean I'm absolving Hood of any blame. I'm just saying that we should recognise that executive meddling can have an adverse effect on a movie (and yes, even those aspects you mention can potentially suffer in turn).

That doesn't mean I think Origins would automatically be amazing if Rothman stepped back and just let Hood do his thing (if indeed Rothman actually meddled).

12. psylockolussus

If there is someone to blame, it should be the entire crew and the people who had a say in making the film. I just think Rothman gets too much blame, he was also around when X1, X2 and FC came out. But no one is acknowledging his input (if he had any) in those films.

13. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Perhaps he does. We can't say for sure, because for all that is said few can say for sure how much of a hand in the film he had. Though I do also see some people point out that Rothman was around for the other x-men movies. Ideally people should be able to recognise both the good and bad of what Rothman may share the responsibility for.

14. runningman3000

runningman3000 Well-Known Member

Gavin Hood's inexperience did show, but I'll wait until I have seen his "Enders Game". I loved Tsotsi, but its a different animal when you take control of a "Big Budget" movie.

However, the Tom Rothman drama was not exaggerated. The cinematographer, Don McAlpine, pretty much confirmed that Rothman and friends were on Gavin's behind!
    http://if.com.au/2013/02/12/article...ine-was-a-political-minefield/KVMBPNMRTC.html

Don McAlpin
    e:
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  15. psylockolussus

I also didn't like Gavin Hood's last film before Origins, Rendition. But I am looking forward to Ender's Game.

16. Joe Stubbs

Joe Stubbs Well-Known Member

Wolverine with wolverines.

[​IMG]

17. Double B

Double B Well-Known Member

18. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

If I remember correctly, that photo was taken at the Detroit Zoo while he was filming "Real Steel" in 2010.

19. Ziggyman

Ziggyman Scar Jo = Ziggywoman

He is lookin a tad tiny there

20. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

Because it was taken in the summer of 2010 when there wasn't a Wolverine movie coming up where he had to train and bulk up.

21. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Off camera in that shot is a zoo keeper telling Hugh that all those Wolverine's are essentially communicating with one another that "they're the best they are at what they do". :o

22. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Interesting. I remember the rumour of Rothman ordering a set to be re-painted because it was too dark, so I'm pretty sure there was a lot of conflict during the production of Origins.

I'd like to see what Hood would have done without the studio meddling.

I get the feeling there is a similar thing going on with The Wolverine. Of course, there is no Rothman at Fox now, but the trailer for The Wolverine was so out of sync with the tone Mangold described that it seems to me that the studio is trying to steer it in another direction. I was rather hoping for a superhero samurai movie where Jackman was totally embodying the character.

I also wonder if the reason Aronofsky left was because he couldn't make the Wolverine movie he wanted.

23. psylockolussus

Aronofsky's reason for not directing The wolverine is the same with Vaughn not directing X3. He didn't want to be out of the country for a year.

24. Superhero 101

New Behind the Scenes images look really cool especially the funeral ones

25. psylockolussus

Are those pictures of Brian Tee only?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.