The Wolverine The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree. That's not a plot hole. That's just a turn of phrase. You're being too literal X-Maniac. lol

Also, who says the guy wants to prevent his death? Did you consider that perhaps he's accepted his fate and is content and wants to gift Wolverine with the prospect of the same peace?

This is a surprise, not much on the new side but I wanted to get a look at more of the Japanese actors.. mostly Hiroyuki Sanada. I really think the more we get (limited but satisfying) it will really turn this into a summer blockbuster. Overall good trailer.
More Sanada is always a good thing.

Four photos attached, two look new.

‘The Wolverine’: Hugh Jackman sensitive, shirtless in ‘X-Men’ role
April 25, 2013

With films such as “Cop Land,” “3:10 to Yuma” and “Walk the Line,” director James Mangold has delivered gritty portraits of flawed heroes struggling to overcome their baser natures.

He’s at it again with his next film, only this time the good guy isn’t a police officer, an old West lawman or Johnny Cash — he’s an immortal mutant with adamantium claws and a bad attitude.

Opening July 26, “The Wolverine” features Hugh Jackman returning to his famed “X-Men” role in a more contemplative fashion. In it, Logan travels to Japan to bid farewell to a dying acquaintance only to find himself protecting the life of an heiress, even as he struggles to come to terms with the tragic events of his past.

“What’s very much at play is this sense of a guy who’s figuring himself out and who’s wrestling with his own sense of violence and his own anger and his own loss and at the same time thrown into the kaleidoscopic world of Japanese culture,” Mangold said.

Mangold joined the project after the 2011 departure of the film’s original director, Darren Aronofsky. He said he was intrigued by the license afforded by the story line, adapted from the famed early ’80s “X-Men” graphic novel miniseries by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.

With “The Wolverine” functioning neither as an origin story nor a tale of a hero defeating a super-villain out to destroy the world, the director could break away from the creatively limiting dictates of standard comic book movie convention.

“You don’t show how Dirty Harry became Dirty Harry, he just is,” Mangold said. “I can just start and find Logan where he is. I don’t have to explain who he is, where he is, how he got his claws, what adamantium is. I’m just kind of dispensing with all that, and letting you either know it or pick it up along the way. That’s a huge sea change.”

So too is the largely Asian supporting cast and the Japanese locations the Sydney, Australia-based production visited. Mangold said the cast and crew spent about five weeks shooting in Tokyo, Onishima and Tomonoura, among other more pastoral locales.

Of course, it’s still Logan at the center of the story, with an impossibly brawny (and often shirtless) Jackman called upon to channel his inner mutant tough guy for the sixth time — if you count all of his appearances in every “X-Men” film and his starring turn in 2009′s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.”

Mangold insists, though, that movie fans will find something new and different this time around.

“This is more about the fate of Logan hanging in the balance,” he said. “I’m just looking to make what I’d really like to see, which is a strong character study about a really interesting tormented hero and bringing what I’ve learned making other kinds of noir-ish films or even westerns, certainly, into this.”

– Gina McIntyre
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movi...jackman-sensitive-shirtless-in-x-men-role/#/3

Is it just me or does it look like he's got a slight stab wound in the first photo?

Its amazing.. I see every day news about man of steel, Star Trek, some x-men news, pacific rim, two trailers and character poster for Red 2 and all those trailers at the cinema. When i go to see a movie there are always the same trailers (specially man steel and star trek) and never saw The Wolverine trailer, even with super hero movies. not even a poster or reference. Need to maintain the hype Fox!

Yeah I saw Iron Man 3 yesterday and there was no trailer for The Wolverine! UGH! And I saw the trailer of Thor 2 and that trailer only went online like 5 days ago! I even saw trailers for three films from FOX but no The Wolverine!

I'm telling you marketing is one of the weakest things about FOX!

Yap! I tell you, they dont know how to sell a movie. This is becoming First Class all over again. They started very late.And when they started, they were almost showing the entire movie. I remember that even when the movie arrived here in Portugal, very few people knew there was an x-men movie lol.. They don't know how to create hype. The next x-men is working better ( hope they don't exaggerate though). An x-men movie can achieve The avengers potencial and numbers. They just dont know how to do it!

I was amazed that it didn't appear in front of Iron Man. If you want your comic book movie to get maximum exposure, stick it in front of another massive comic book movie. Not rocket science. What an incredible missed opportunity.

Just in case anyone is tempted to steal it from a bus stop, the Sumi Ink style poster is free with the latest Empire Magazine (the June issue).

I got one at a convention today. :yay:

ctwposter_zps6e6a0953.jpg

I was amazed that it didn't appear in front of Iron Man. If you want your comic book movie to get maximum exposure, stick it in front of another massive comic book movie. Not rocket science. What an incredible missed opportunity.

I keep going to movies at the IMAX, and I haven't seen the trailer there since it's not getting an IMAX release (and I'd much prefer an IMAX release over a 3D release).

Iron Man 3 opens in theaters in the US next week, hopefully there will be a trailer attached to those screenings. It would seem incredibly stupid not to have it.

My theater does have the giant poster up. :up:

Just noticed in the trailer that they're giving Wolvie a wife-beater... again. :csad:

Yap! I tell you, they dont know how to sell a movie. This is becoming First Class all over again. They started very late.And when they started, they were almost showing the entire movie. I remember that even when the movie arrived here in Portugal, very few people knew there was an x-men movie lol.. They don't know how to create hype. The next x-men is working better ( hope they don't exaggerate though). An x-men movie can achieve The avengers potencial and numbers. They just dont know how to do it!

This is one of the things that I hate about FOX. I always wonder why the marketing of Paramount/Disney are so much better. FOX can come up with a good movie, but their marketing can easily ruin the box-office performance of their movies. People are right to say that if X-Men went to another studio, X-Men would probably perform at the box-office like a Harry Potter movie.

That looks really cool. Well done, danoyse.

Thanks. The guy at the booth I got it from actually took a second look at it and said, "Wow." I don't think he'd seen it before.

I got a complete set of X1 trading cards today too. :up:

So why would Marvel kill of Wolverine in the comics to coincide with his new movie??
isn't that, like, the opposite of what you should do to capitalize on a big summer movie?

Is that what they're doing? Didn't the exact same thing happen with Bruce Wayne when the Dark Knight was released?

yup
and what's the bet one of the "Wolvie-family" gets a sudden and temporary promotion
I'd hope for X-23 to be the new "Wolverine", but with my luck it'll be f****n Daken

Isn't Daken dead now? I haven't been following the comics that much recently. I'm guessing Wolverine Max will keep going with Logan in it even if he's dead in the main continuity.

yup
and what's the bet one of the "Wolvie-family" gets a sudden and temporary promotion
I'd hope for X-23 to be the new "Wolverine", but with my luck it'll be f****n Daken

Yeah, they havn't exactly treated X-23 well in the past years. Too bad.

Wolverine plays such a pivotal role in the Jean Grey school it would be interesting how his death would switch things up. Kitty seems the most likely to take over imo. She seems to put everyone in their place lately.

Maybe his loss of healing in the films will transition to DofP.
Isn't Daken dead now? I haven't been following the comics that much recently. I'm guessing Wolverine Max will keep going with Logan in it even if he's dead in the main continuity.

He looks to be resurrected later in Uncanny Avengers.

I am going to go out on a limb and say, they ain't killing Wolverine, they are not that stupid, lol. in DOFP they show his skeleton in a rejuventation tank, so even in that he isn't really dead(comic version)

That's funny. In the 90's cartoon series Bishop returns from averting a dystopian future to return to another one where Forge is standing by a tank with Wolverine's skeleton in it.

I don't think they'll kill Wolverine either. Even if they did it wouldn't be for very long (like Batman's death). I expect it's more likely that they're just resetting his powers so he's not immortal. He'll still likely have a healing factor, but he won't be an overpowered unkillable machine that he usually is nowadays. At least that's my hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"