Comics The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Fans put Peter on too high a pedestal sometimes and make him like the Virgin Mary. He's the hero that can be you, for better or worse. Normal people make mistakes all the time out of desperation.

Aloha,
Dan Slott: To be fair, in Peter's defense, when Doc is walking away and leaving the mind-scape, one of the last things Peter says is, "It was only a moment. I would never." The thing that everyone forgets about Peter Parker is that Peter Parker is not a saint. When he let that burglar run by, he could have done anything to stop him and he didn't, and that burglar killed Uncle Ben. That's when he learned the lesson that with great power comes great responsibility. But that didn't magically baptize him and make him flawless

We've seen over the years, many times, that when Peter Parker really wants to do the wrong thing; he has that moment, and then he shuts it down. We've seen where he really wants to use his spider-powers to punch Flash Thompson, and he's imagining it, and he stops himself. And then Flash gets kidnapped by Doctor Doom, and Peter leans back and decides to do nothing about it. Two panels later, he's all, "Ah, fine, I'll save him!" It's that way for the history of Spider-Man.

Marvel.com: So you can add Peter's choice in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #8 to a long list of momentary lapses.

Dan Slott: Look, if you think Peter Parker is a saint, and you treat him as this guy who never makes the unethical and wrong choice, you're doing it wrong. He will make the completely self-serving wrong-headed choice. But a moment later, he'll always bring himself back. What we saw in issue #8, and what Doc Ock calls him on, is that. And it's too late, because he's played on Peter's guilt. Someone asked me a question: "Why would Peter Parker let someone guilt him?" Well, that's Peter Parker! Do you know what would make him feel guilt? A strong breeze. [Laughs] Let alone that it's Doc Ock doing it!

Spidey rules when the writer knows the personality of the character he's writing about

Exactly! That's how I read it! I'm surprise to see many readers jump on the Ock really is the SUPERIOR Spider-Man train. Really? Are they reading the same title as me? Parker had a momentary lapse of panic. And Ock knows Pete SO well (even BETTER now), that he can easily guilt Pete. And it was THAT moment, that seem to be the turning point and ended Pete: his guilt.

Agreed. It was, like I said, a really interesting scene, because it makes Peter really human. That's what I like about him, he's not a saint, but in the end, he will make the right choice. Slott really gets him imo.

Still, the scene itself was painful, thanks to the great art, and because it was difficult to see Peter in such a bad position.

Léo Ho Tep;25773211 said:
Agreed. It was, like I said, a really interesting scene, because it makes Peter really human. That's what I like about him, he's not a saint, but in the end, he will make the right choice. Slott really gets him imo.

Still, the scene itself was painful, thanks to the great art, and because it was difficult to see Peter in such a bad position.

Honestly, it was a great issue. That moment with Peter didn't bother me, because like you said - he's human.

It's not that it bothered me. I think it was meant to make the reader uneasy, and it worked. Which make it an even greater issue indeed.

I still think it could have been great if it was a two issues story, but the more I think about it, the more I enjoy it.

And, on a side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Slott this weekend.

Mr. Slott, if by chance you read this, I hope I did not come off too "geeky" or too "gushy." It's just I didn't want to take up too much of your time and I tried to blurt out what I wanted to say. I am sincere in saying you have done an outstanding job since taking over the title. Your sense of history, continuity, and character (particularly Pete) has been fantastic!

Aloha,
Here's more on Slott's take on the personality of Peter Parker.

Nrama: … where it's revealed that Peter Parker's defeat is effectively secured by the revelation that he wanted to prevent Doc Ock from performing surgery on the girl in #8, because he feared it would lead to him being discovered.

Slott: Yep. It's that one moment where he goes, "I knew the minute you did that, you'd get that helmet, and I'd be on your radar, and I'd be in trouble. And for a moment, I hesitated." In the end, he doesn't. But he has that moment. Maybe it was for a nanosecond. Maybe it was for a billionth of a nanosecond. But it was there.

There's a legion of fans that have grown up with Peter — especially the last 20 years — where they look at Peter Parker as a paragon of humanity. As a saint, who would never make the wrong choice. Would never do anything less than true heroism. Who would never have a dark thought or impulse — even for a billionth of a nanosecond. Somewhere down the line, people starting thinking of Pete as Steve Rogers with spider-powers.

Sorry, that's not Peter Parker. Peter Parker is that guy in Amazing Fantasy #15 who has all the powers of Spider-Man, and is going to selfishly use them for him and his family, and to hell with the rest of the world. He goes right into showbiz, and that burglar runs right past him, and he could have stopped him a million ways, and he couldn't be bothered. And then that guy goes on to kill Uncle Ben, and that's when it resonates. That's when he learns that with Great Power Must Come Great Responsibility. If that burglar had shot someone else's uncle, Peter would just be going along jim-dandy, two shows a night, matinees off on weekends.

But he did learn that lesson, and from that moment on, it does not mean he's perfect. It doesn't mean he's suddenly baptized, and born again as a saint. What it means is, over the years, when he has those moments — when he has that moment of human imperfection that all Marvel characters have — even for a billionth of a nanosecond — the guilt slams down. But he still has that moment.

In the '60s, you get these moments where boy, does he want to punch Flash Thompson. And he's fantasizing about it, and he's ready to do it. And there's that time where Flash dresses up as Spider-Man, and Doctor Doom kidnaps him. And Peter Parker is walking down the street, whistling about it. "This is great! Flash got kidnapped by Doctor Doom! That'll show him! Hahaha!" And then the guilt slams down. "Aw crap, I gotta go save him." But for one moment, he's a horrible human being. This is Doctor Doom we're talking about! He could atomize Flash Thompson in that moment! A moment where Peter gave into that thing that we'd all love to give into, for a moment.

And it keeps happening. This isn't some adolescent flaw. This is his nature. People can talk about "growing up" and "maturing" — but if that were the case, every old person in the world would be a paragon of humanity. There are some truths to us that go all the way to our cores.

In the '70s, Gwen Stacy's going to have a birthday party, and poor Peter Parker can't afford to get her a good present. He breaks into a jewelry store! He busts right in. He's ripping the doors off the hinges off the safe, and he's pulling out this great necklace. "I'll give Gwen this!" And for a moment, he's a thief. He's a horrible person. And then the guilt slams down. He goes, "What am I doing?" And he leaves, and he puts the stuff back. But he still busted up a guy's safe, and broke into his jewelry store. Does he leave money for that? No.

And then, after Norman and Gwen die, J. Jonah Jameson's running all these anti-Spider-Man articles, because he's so mad his pal Norman Osborn is dead. And no one knows he's the Goblin, they all think Spider-Man's a killer. Jameson's running all these pieces, and at one point Spidey, who's still reeling from losing Gwen, loses it. He just goes ape*****, and he puts on the costume, and he's racing to the Bugle, because he's going to ***** Jameson up. He's not going to web him to a chair, or web his mouth shut. Jameson is going to lose some teeth. Jameson is going to get some ribs kicked in. It is going to be nasty. The only thing that stops Spidey from doing this is Man-Wolf jumping in. And then suddenly all the correct thoughts pop into his head. "You know what? I gotta protect Jonah." But the whole reason he was on his way — was to do this man serious bodily harm. That's Peter Parker's dark side.

In the '80s, the Beyonder turns an entire building into gold. Peter Parker takes a gold notebook. "This will solve all my problems. This is great!" And then he thinks about it and changes his mind. But he holds on to that notebook for a hell of a long time. Way longer than a billionth of a nanosecond. And then the guilt pops in. This isn't the responsible thing to do, and he knows he can't keep it.

Peter Parker is allowed to be a horrible person for a moment. And then guilt kicks in. And that's what happened in issue #8. For a moment in time, he was horrible.

Nrama: And it's relevant that he was in a uniquely desperate position.

Slott: Oh, totally. Never been more desperate. He's frickin' Sam Wheat in Ghost. He can't do anything, and this is like the one tiny thing he can do to try to stop himself from being wiped out completely.

Spidey rules

Finally got around to reading #9. As somebody who kinda prefers Ock-Spidey to Peter; I found the ending neither jaw-dropping nor all that "controversial". Perhaps I'd had it hyped up too much.

There's also the "credibility" factor... most of us are all reading this as if it's written in stone that it will not last... and truthfully, in serialized fiction, nothing lasts absolutely forever... but I really believe Marvel is going to ride this boat for a LOT longer than most people think...

:yay:

That I agree with. I personally DON'T think he'll be back in time for the second ASM movie. There have been a couple times things weren't tied to the movies. I recall that despite SM3 coming out, Brock or the symbiote didn't have any major resurgence and with the Marvel movies popularity since IM1, Nick Fury (or his son) hadn't had any major push till recently.

Plus Slott and Marvel seem pretty self aware with this whole thing, so in playing with expectations, I doubt they're going to end this so soon.

I see it lasting at least 50 issues... which would be over 2 years...

As long as "Peter" has a Ph.D and keeps a well paying job before Ock is exorcised, I'll be happy.

Aloha,
Here's more on Slott's take on the personality of Peter Parker.

Nrama: … where it's revealed that Peter Parker's defeat is effectively secured by the revelation that he wanted to prevent Doc Ock from performing surgery on the girl in #8, because he feared it would lead to him being discovered.

Slott: Yep. It's that one moment where he goes, "I knew the minute you did that, you'd get that helmet, and I'd be on your radar, and I'd be in trouble. And for a moment, I hesitated." In the end, he doesn't. But he has that moment. Maybe it was for a nanosecond. Maybe it was for a billionth of a nanosecond. But it was there.

There's a legion of fans that have grown up with Peter — especially the last 20 years — where they look at Peter Parker as a paragon of humanity. As a saint, who would never make the wrong choice. Would never do anything less than true heroism. Who would never have a dark thought or impulse — even for a billionth of a nanosecond. Somewhere down the line, people starting thinking of Pete as Steve Rogers with spider-powers.

Sorry, that's not Peter Parker. Peter Parker is that guy in Amazing Fantasy #15 who has all the powers of Spider-Man, and is going to selfishly use them for him and his family, and to hell with the rest of the world. He goes right into showbiz, and that burglar runs right past him, and he could have stopped him a million ways, and he couldn't be bothered. And then that guy goes on to kill Uncle Ben, and that's when it resonates. That's when he learns that with Great Power Must Come Great Responsibility. If that burglar had shot someone else's uncle, Peter would just be going along jim-dandy, two shows a night, matinees off on weekends.

But he did learn that lesson, and from that moment on, it does not mean he's perfect. It doesn't mean he's suddenly baptized, and born again as a saint. What it means is, over the years, when he has those moments — when he has that moment of human imperfection that all Marvel characters have — even for a billionth of a nanosecond — the guilt slams down. But he still has that moment.

In the '60s, you get these moments where boy, does he want to punch Flash Thompson. And he's fantasizing about it, and he's ready to do it. And there's that time where Flash dresses up as Spider-Man, and Doctor Doom kidnaps him. And Peter Parker is walking down the street, whistling about it. "This is great! Flash got kidnapped by Doctor Doom! That'll show him! Hahaha!" And then the guilt slams down. "Aw crap, I gotta go save him." But for one moment, he's a horrible human being. This is Doctor Doom we're talking about! He could atomize Flash Thompson in that moment! A moment where Peter gave into that thing that we'd all love to give into, for a moment.

And it keeps happening. This isn't some adolescent flaw. This is his nature. People can talk about "growing up" and "maturing" — but if that were the case, every old person in the world would be a paragon of humanity. There are some truths to us that go all the way to our cores.

In the '70s, Gwen Stacy's going to have a birthday party, and poor Peter Parker can't afford to get her a good present. He breaks into a jewelry store! He busts right in. He's ripping the doors off the hinges off the safe, and he's pulling out this great necklace. "I'll give Gwen this!" And for a moment, he's a thief. He's a horrible person. And then the guilt slams down. He goes, "What am I doing?" And he leaves, and he puts the stuff back. But he still busted up a guy's safe, and broke into his jewelry store. Does he leave money for that? No.

And then, after Norman and Gwen die, J. Jonah Jameson's running all these anti-Spider-Man articles, because he's so mad his pal Norman Osborn is dead. And no one knows he's the Goblin, they all think Spider-Man's a killer. Jameson's running all these pieces, and at one point Spidey, who's still reeling from losing Gwen, loses it. He just goes ape*****, and he puts on the costume, and he's racing to the Bugle, because he's going to ***** Jameson up. He's not going to web him to a chair, or web his mouth shut. Jameson is going to lose some teeth. Jameson is going to get some ribs kicked in. It is going to be nasty. The only thing that stops Spidey from doing this is Man-Wolf jumping in. And then suddenly all the correct thoughts pop into his head. "You know what? I gotta protect Jonah." But the whole reason he was on his way — was to do this man serious bodily harm. That's Peter Parker's dark side.

In the '80s, the Beyonder turns an entire building into gold. Peter Parker takes a gold notebook. "This will solve all my problems. This is great!" And then he thinks about it and changes his mind. But he holds on to that notebook for a hell of a long time. Way longer than a billionth of a nanosecond. And then the guilt pops in. This isn't the responsible thing to do, and he knows he can't keep it.

Peter Parker is allowed to be a horrible person for a moment. And then guilt kicks in. And that's what happened in issue #8. For a moment in time, he was horrible.

Nrama: And it's relevant that he was in a uniquely desperate position.

Slott: Oh, totally. Never been more desperate. He's frickin' Sam Wheat in Ghost. He can't do anything, and this is like the one tiny thing he can do to try to stop himself from being wiped out completely.

Spidey rules

I'll just reiterate what I mentioned on my blog.

Are we expected to believe that this also means that Peter, after all his years as Spider-Man, would be the kind of person who, when his back is up against the wall, be capable of, let alone even think about, risking the life a child if it meant saving himself? The answer, according to this issue and its creators, is an unequivocal yes.

Also, in this particular instance, this wasn’t just an instance of Peter “having a moment” and then “shutting it down;” the page from issue #8 coupled with the one from issue #9 shows that Peter was actually in the process of doing the wrong thing and that it was
Doc Ock shutting him down through his sheer force of will. The intention may have tried to convey that Peter is an imperfect human being who had a moment of weakness, but it also winds up saying that, deep down, Peter is a morally weak, self-righteous hypocrite--which is exactly what Doc Ock accuses Peter of being.

Understand, I’m not advocating, nor do I expect, Peter Parker to always be exemplary or not make stupid decisions. Part of his appeal and popularity comes from the fact that he, just like the rest of us, is an imperfect human being who tries, and sometimes fails, to do the right thing. After all, as Slott points out, Peter, as a teenager, “let that burglar run by, he could have done anything to stop him and he didn't” and thought about using his powers to punch Flash Thompson, or consider doing nothing when Flash was in danger. And that’s just it--
he was a teenager, someone who didn’t know any better, who was still learning that the world didn’t revolve around him. To still characterize Peter as someone who, as an adult, is still that self-absorbed and that willing to put his own welfare ahead of others makes him someone who hasn’t learned a damn thing since his uncle got shot.

Last edited:
Nice, been waiting for your thoughts on this issue. You echoed many of my issues with this issue. (haw) I liked where this was going till those final pages with Pete giving in so easily when Ock was bullying and gloating. I expected Pete to lose, I expected it to be depressing, but I was expecting a downed, drained, beaten, but defiant Pete to stand strong.

That I agree with. I personally DON'T think he'll be back in time for the second ASM movie. There have been a couple times things weren't tied to the movies. I recall that despite SM3 coming out, Brock or the symbiote didn't have any major resurgence and with the Marvel movies popularity since IM1, Nick Fury (or his son) hadn't had any major push till recently.

Plus Slott and Marvel seem pretty self aware with this whole thing, so in playing with expectations, I doubt they're going to end this so soon.

Aloha,
I'm going to stick with Peter's return around the time of the movie.There's going to be millions of dollars in world wide advertising and merchandising with Peter Parker as Spider-Man.
Spidey rules

Aloha,
I'm going to stick with Peter's return around the time of the movie.There's going to be millions of dollars in world wide advertising and merchandising with Peter Parker as Spider-Man.
Spidey rules

And you can bet that Rhino and Electro will be involved somehow, considering they're the villains in the movie :p

I would bet good money on SpOck still wearing the suit when ASM2 hits the theatres...

...and I bet that Eddie Brock makes a fantastic quiche. It must be true! :o ...wait....what're we talkin' about?

I'd always thought of Brock as a TV dinner kind of guy... or someone who eats a lot of take-out"...

:csad:

I can't say I'm not bugged about the way Slott killed off the last piece of Peter's essence. It seemed like in one fell swoop that he not only finally killed him off in the comic, but he crapped over the essence of the character as well.

I can understand the concept of portraying Peter Parker as entirely fallible as I think that's true to the character and something most fans are aware of. I don't even have a problem with Peter trying to stop Ock from using the device to save the girl while weighing up the possibilities of what Ock could do with it and the chance of saving the girl, but the characterisation given to that moment when Ock finally kills off Peter seems to take it to another level. One where Peter Parker is fundamentally an irresponsible and selfish person. Now while he may have moments where he is irresponsible and even selfish I don't see them as quite the core of the character as Slott seems he would have people believe.

To me it just seems to go with that nagging feeling of reading issue 700 and that Slott honestly wants us to see Doc Ock as the Superior Spider-man by writing Sp-Ock as better at being Spider-man than Peter Parker could ever hope to be.

I keep telling myself to ignore the fan backlash at Slott or the trolling answers he and Wacker give in interviews or the nonsensical attempts at hyping issues Marvel has shown with Superior, but it seems like Slott really wants to trash Peter Parker at times. I mean I keep reminding myself that it's unlikely that Peter will stay gone and that by the time TASM2 comes out this will probably be old news, but it's hard not to question that given Slott and Wacker's trolling answers in some interviews and the rest of the hype surrounding issue 700 and the change to Superior.

I would bet good money on SpOck still wearing the suit when ASM2 hits the theatres...

Now come to reality my good man. Peter will be back in the suit before the movie if not immediately soon after.

I'm actually one issue behind on this and the controversy has kind of jaded me to actually reading it. So far I'm enjoying the book but not nearly as much as I was when it was just Amazing Spider-Man. Mainly because of the issues of how Slott writes Otto as Spider-Man and he sounds like Otto.

But in the Avengers book and other appearances he sounds more like Peter.

Aloha,
Here's an issue that I have and I've brought it up before. A ghost by definition is the spirit of a dead person. To use the reference "Ghost Peter", IMO is wrong. Peter Parker is not dead.He still has a living body and brain. I still go back to spirit or ectoplasmic Peter. SpOck wiped out Peter in a computer not in essence. And as I said before, in computer language delete does not mean destroyed.
As far as Peter and the little girl, Peter was not only facing a moral decision but a life and death situation as well.Here he's been doing everything in his power to get his physical body back and he's got to make a choice between the little girl and his life. Self preservation will always kick in. But ultimately self sacrifice(hesitation-guilt) wins out with Peter.It also serves as the whole that all bad guys know they can run a truck through ie,conscience-something they don't have.
Spidey rules

Last edited:
As long as "Peter" has a Ph.D and keeps a well paying job before Ock is exorcised, I'll be happy.

Aloha,
He deserves the Ph.D. Whether he keeps a good paying job or not depends.To be Spider-Man he needs a job that allows him as much flexibility as possible. That's why I mentioned once before that since Peter knows T Stark and Mr Fantastic as well as T'Challa, maybe he could do "contract work" that would allow him to do his Spidey thing as long as he got his work out within an established deadline.9 to 5 Peter-NO WAY!
Spidey rules

Aloha,
Here's an issue that I have and I've brought it up before. A ghost by definition is the spirit of a dead person. To use the reference "Ghost Peter", IMO is wrong. Peter Parker is not dead.He still has a living body and brain. I still go back to spirit or ectoplasmic Peter. SpOck wiped out Peter in a computer not in essence. And as I said before, in computer language delete does not mean destroyed.
As far as Peter and the little girl, Peter was not only facing a moral decision but a life and death situation as well.Here he's been doing everything in his power to get his physical body back and he's got to make a choice between the little girl and his life. Self preservation will always kick in. But ultimately self sacrifice(hesitation-guilt) wins out with Peter.It also serves as the whole that all bad guys know they can run a truck through ie,conscience-something they don't have.
Spidey rules

I've been using "Force Ghost Peter"...because....you know....THE WARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"