The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR Box Office Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be wrong to assume that DVD/Blu-Ray sales for this movie will be through the roof... ?

The appetite was there, people just became fearful because of the tragedy.

It will be no more or no less than if the tragedy never happened. By next weekend or this week things should stabilize and numbers getting back to normal for films across the board.

I wish we would stop bringing up the tragedy in this thread as well. It is not the place to be discussing that matter.

Whether you like it or not... this movie will always be associated with the tragedy.

This has nothing to do with what i like or not. I just said it's a bit distasteful continually bringing up the tragedy in this thread with regards to TDKR box office take.

I have no problem with discussing BO results for the film but we can do this without continually referring to the tragedy those who want to discuss the tragedy should do so in the appropriate thread.

I feel we should stick to things like daily totals and weekend results and that matter.

At the same time those who continually bring up the film and tragedy together are only serving to create the false sense that there was an actual connection between the film and the shooters motivation.

Even most media now have in fact stopped referring to it as the "TDKR shooting" and call it as the aurora, colorado shooting.

Last edited:
Saw an ad just moments ago on the 'Today' show.
I guess Warners decided that you can't just let a several-hundred-million dollar investment fall off a cliff.
I would also imagine that they've done some quick surveying in the past couple of days to see whether people would be upset/offended by advertisements, and decided they were o-k.

Yeah I was surprised to see an ad on FOX yesterday.

Avengers was huge with families, small children, and non-driving teenagers. All three of those demographics have been hammered by the shooting for TDKR. They would be hammered for Avengers as well if a mass shooting happened during one of its midnight shows. How many parents would be willing to let their small kids go see it after the terrifying reports of 6 year old kids getting shot at the TDKR showing?

It is also to do with the bad publicity the franchise has received

The shooting was bad enough but then the killer went on to proclaim that he is 'The Joker' and the media started claiming that his hair was dyed the same colour as Ledger's in TDK,all these things give the Parents the impression that the film promotes violence and hence they stop their children from seeing it

The film did between 17-19 million yesterday, so it's holding up pretty well.

This has nothing to do with what i like or not. I just said it's a bit distasteful continually bringing up the tragedy in this thread with regards to TDKR box office take.

I have no problem with discussing BO results for the film but we can do this without continually referring to the tragedy those who want to discuss the tragedy should do so in the appropriate thread.

I feel we should stick to things like daily totals and weekend results and that matter.

At the same time those who continually bring up the film and tragedy together are only serving to create the false sense that there was an actual connection between the film and the shooters motivation.

Even most media now have in fact stopped referring to it as the "TDKR shooting" and call it as the aurora, colorado shooting.

Even still the tragedy kinda affected the box office stats for this movie, which is why some people brought it up in this thread. And this movie will always be associated with this awful event. Some of the media has stopped calling the Batman shooting but some media outlets are still calling it that an example would be last night, HLN still was calling it that.. But you are correct, the thread to talk about the tragedy has been moved.

Personally, I don't really care if this breaks records or not, its a fantastic movie but would understand if the box office stats for this don't reach the levels fanboys want it to. It still the highest grossing 2D movie ever.

Saw an ad just moments ago on the 'Today' show.
I guess Warners decided that you can't just let a several-hundred-million dollar investment fall off a cliff.
I would also imagine that they've done some quick surveying in the past couple of days to see whether people would be upset/offended by advertisements, and decided they were o-k.

The advertising was only pulled for the weekend. Yes they have to promote this, but I imagine the ads will change to show humorous scenes and scenes with little violence/gunfire.

Not bad at all. Only a 2 million drop.

I'd like to once again bring up, the general audience is adoring this movie. The second weekend might be bigger than we think.

I agree the bleeding has stopped somewhat, and most people that see the film love it, but it's already 6M behind where TDK was at the same point, and adjusting for inflation even further than that. I still think you're looking at a -55% drop, or lower for the weekend. Having said that, the longer run time could be effecting people from seeing it during the week.

I agree the bleeding has stopped somewhat, and most people that see the film love it, but it's already 6M behind where TDK was at the same point, and adjusting for inflation even further than that. I still think you're looking at a -55% drop, or lower for the weekend. Having said that, the longer run time could be effecting people from seeing it during the week.

Unfortunate irony in the choice of words (not a criticism- have enjoyed your insightful posts).

The media started claiming that his hair was dyed the same colour as Ledger's in TDK.

The murder's hair was brown died orange in the pics I've seen. Jokers hair was blonde died green. So they cant even get that right.

Headed for a 60% drop on the weekend. The tricky thing here is twofold. First of all, I suspect some working adults are waiting to see this film on the weekend because it's too long to watch on a work night. Last night I saw it and even without end credits, the film is 3 hours including 20 minutes of trailers. However, this weekend is the start of the Olympics. Who knows how much that will impact it, but you would think some of those same working adults who don't have time for a long movie during the week would prefer to watch the Olympics when they can wait until the third or fourth weekend to see the movie.

Headed for a 60% drop on the weekend. The tricky thing here is twofold. First of all, I suspect some working adults are waiting to see this film on the weekend because it's too long to watch on a work night. Last night I saw it and even without end credits, the film is 3 hours including 20 minutes of trailers. However, this weekend is the start of the Olympics. Who knows how much that will impact it, but you would think some of those same working adults who don't have time for a long movie during the week would prefer to watch the Olympics when they can wait until the third or fourth weekend to see the movie.

Agreed. It's my recollection that the 2008 Games started three or four weeks into TDK's run. Friday night should be particularly tough with the opening ceremonies.

Would it be wrong to assume that DVD/Blu-Ray sales for this movie will be through the roof... ?

The appetite was there, people just became fearful because of the tragedy.
Indeed, I can see the home video sales being massive.

I bet home video rentals will be huge. I think there are a number of people who originally planned to see it in the theater and won't be doing that now at all after the shooting and the constant negative coverage of the movie by the media. So those folks will rent it instead.

The numbers are still good but wow, has the momentum ever been sucked out of this thing. It's too bad we'll never know what numbers it would have done. We can only say they would have been higher, but how much, we'll never know.

Dunno. I liked the movie, but i am seein far more disapointment than i expected. I donts see this besting TDK.

This movie has no chance of besting TDK it'll be a miracle if it can even cross $500 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"