Days of Future Past The Theaterical Cut or The Rogue Cut

So I finally got my copy and now have seen it. What were they thinking? How did they do this to us and not let us see that amazingness on screen. It was fantastic. The rescue sequence didn't feel like it dragged at all or brought the story down like they made it out to be. It actually gave a nice extra bit of action to break up all the past scenes that felt very heavy. Anna did well with the little she was given but I was fine with her having a small role. Just as pretty much every future character had minus a few people. But she got to be the one to save the day and she finally was able to use her power for good. It just brought the franchise full circle. FOX WASTED OPPORTUNITY!!! I can guarantee that runtime was the issue for Fox. But to me it didn't feel like an extra 20 minutes. Felt the same as the original theatrical cut.

Also Storm and the future mutants bit of extra dialogue was really needed. Taking out that extra minute of dialogue was a big mistake. I thought all the extra scenes were amazing. I even enjoyed the Raven mansion stuff even though that could've been cut. Well I know this will be the version I watch from now on. It did feel weird watching it after seeing the theatrical cut so many times. Like I was watching a different movie and especially the end usually where Bobby puts the wall of ice up. It did feel strange it that bit not seeing him die that way.

Did Colossus still die the same way? Loved that, he looked like a Toy Story toy getting ripped apart

Problem with this poll so early is that untill the hype dies down and everyone has watched the rogue cut a couple of times you can't really judge it in the same way since new scenes always seem fresh and exciting

I'll be honest I preferred the Theatrical cut, the extended cut had some nice odd additions but I had some issues with the Rogue sequence and Mystique part, I can see why they were cut originally.

So I finally got my copy and now have seen it. What were they thinking? How did they do this to us and not let us see that amazingness on screen. It was fantastic. The rescue sequence didn't feel like it dragged at all or brought the story down like they made it out to be. It actually gave a nice extra bit of action to break up all the past scenes that felt very heavy. Anna did well with the little she was given but I was fine with her having a small role. Just as pretty much every future character had minus a few people. But she got to be the one to save the day and she finally was able to use her power for good. It just brought the franchise full circle. FOX WASTED OPPORTUNITY!!! I can guarantee that runtime was the issue for Fox. But to me it didn't feel like an extra 20 minutes. Felt the same as the original theatrical cut.

Also Storm and the future mutants bit of extra dialogue was really needed. Taking out that extra minute of dialogue was a big mistake. I thought all the extra scenes were amazing. I even enjoyed the Raven mansion stuff even though that could've been cut. Well I know this will be the version I watch from now on. It did feel weird watching it after seeing the theatrical cut so many times. Like I was watching a different movie and especially the end usually where Bobby puts the wall of ice up. It did feel strange it that bit not seeing him die that way.

Agree with every single word.

I prefer the Rogue Cut all the way. Everything just felt right from start to end.
The rescuing scene was so awesome

Bryan Singer said he cut it because of pacing and i suppose what he means is the main story is in the past while the rogue sequence was like a mini story in the middle and then you are expected to get back to the past story again right after and carry on where you left off

I don't know which one to pick... I think all of the new scenes from The Rogue Cut should have been in the final except for Shadowcat saving Magneto and the dialogue between Bishop and Professor X about voting... but the new scenes from the 70s... are really extraneous.. and Mystique/Beast making out is the last thing I wanna see again and they brought up that mutant/proud line again.

Oh god, definitely the theatrical cut for me. Have people bothered watching the Rogue cut with the Ottman/Singer commentary on? It really highlights to me why a lot of the different parts are a mess. I'm actually surprised so many people are preferring the Rogue cut on the poll as taken in context, the added / alternate parts are really not that great imo, but interesting to have all the same...I just wish this wasn't a double dip exercise a year down the line. Stick it out at the time (with the theatrical, warts and all), or don't put it out at all.. :/

I prefer the theatrical cut as well. It's much better paced in my opinion. I also thought some of the added scenes really slowed the momentum of the movie down. While I missed Rogue in the theatrical cut I did feel her appearance at the end was sufficient.

All that being said I still enjoyed the RC but I do feel it's a step down from the theatrical.

Theatrical: 9/10
Rogue Cut: 8/10

After a second watch I like the Rogue Cut better than I initially did. I still think the theatrical cut flows better but I do enjoy the new Rogue footage.

I might prefer the extended cut. Although especially Wolverine's line at Maximoff house was horrible.

The longer cut adds cool, nice little character moments that actually pay off and certain events have a little bit more impact. Added dialogue snippets are welcome, as well as some little additions to action scenes (The Wolverine hotel room fight has a couple new shots).

The original cut flows better though, and I can understand not wanting to watch past-future-past-future-past-future cuts for the last 40 minutes, it does get kind of annoying when you just want to focus on one thing at a time.

The Rogue cut has some good little bits in (e.g. extended Wolverine fight when we first meet him in the 70's, and other arguable gags and stuff), but for me the bad outweighs the good, and so the cut remains worse for me than theatrical. Just having more doesn't equate to better in this case.

Bryan Singer said he cut it because of pacing and i suppose what he means is the main story is in the past while the rogue sequence was like a mini story in the middle and then you are expected to get back to the past story again right after and carry on where you left off

I don't remember him saying that second part of your post. I might have to rewatch the commentary again.

But even so, this was the whole idea of the movie. Bouncing back and forth between past and present. If he did say this I don't get the reasoning at all.

One complaint with the Rogue cut is Mystique going back to the mansion, and destroying Cerebro. It was completely pointless as Xavier et al still figured out where she was going to be. And how she destroyed Cerebro looked pretty bad (bad acting).

Glad Singer took that out of the theatrical release.

As for the rescue itself I like the basic idea of it but the execution could've been much improved. When Xavier was leading Bobby and Magneto thru the tunnels, they could've visualized it better instead of just having Xavier's voice narrate to them. Also feels like the mansion is abandoned, which might've been the plan.

Last edited:
I don't remember him saying that second part of your post. I might have to rewatch the commentary again.

But even so, this was the whole idea of the movie. Bouncing back and forth between past and present. If he did say this I don't get the reasoning at all.

One complaint with the Rogue cut is Mystique going back to the mansion, and destroying Cerebro. It was completely pointless as Xavier et al still figured out where she was going to be. And how she destroyed Cerebro looked pretty bad (bad acting).

Glad Singer took that out of the theatrical release.

As for the rescue itself I like the basic idea of it but the execution could've been much improved. When Xavier was leading Bobby and Magneto thru the tunnels, they could've visualized it better instead of just having Xavier's voice narrate to them. Also feels like the mansion is abandoned, which might've been the plan.

Like how they showed Charles' vision travel across the lawn in First Class when he was spying on Emma Frost.

Theatrical is the better movie. It's better paced and more concisely tells the same story.

There are great additions to the Rogue Cut for us fans to enjoy, and it will likely become my go-to version of the film, but none of it was needed.

I like the "In the future do I make it" scene in the Rogue Cut a billion times better. I like that Beast has more of a part in this cut, with his personal late night sub plot. I like Rogue Cut better, it'll be my go to version. Except, what was up with the WTC shot? Wtf was the point of that?

what was up with the WTC shot? Wtf was the point of that?

Along with the radio broadcast about the war, they both just established the time period just a little more. Nothing else, and none of it lasted long or was in-your-face.

I don't think movies should tip-toe around WTC towers. Or around anything else either.

Having seen the theatrical cut MULTIPLE times, and now having seen the Rogue Cut, I can honestly say I prefer the theatrical cut.

I love the new scenes added into the film, but I do think the pacing was off a tad in the Rogue Cut. I felt the Beast/Mystique scene was nice but took it off course a little. Still a well done scene. Love the Rogue rescue scene as well.

Agreed with those that said Iceman's death was more heartbreaking in the theatrical cut.

Can say that I'm still happy I bought the Rogue Cut because I can choose each any time I want and I LOVE the bonus features.

Gonna have to go with theatrical.

I LOVED Rogue's scenes, but I felt it did mess up the pacing a bit and took away from the urgency in the theatrical cut where Kitty was holding on to dear life in those almost final moments. I also thought Kitty was gonna die after Rogue absorbed her in such a badass way.

Bobby's death scene was cheap and it looked like he had more than enough time to escape if he had just ran after making that ice wall.

Same for Beast and Mystique's scene together. While I loved the scene and what it represented, it didn't make sense to me that he didn't tell anyone Raven was there. Perhaps in another setting it would have flowed better.

That being said, the Rogue was pretty awesome and I'll probably be flip flopping between them anyway.

Last edited:
Rogue Cut. It took one of the best superhero films ever made it feel more nuanced.

On second thought, as much as I love the extra scenes in the Rogue Cut, I prefer the Theatrical Cut as a whole piece of film.

I prefer the theatrical cut. The added scenes didn't do much for me.

I prefer the Rogue cut a little more. I do have 2 issues tho.

I do wish they added in the hostility the new mutants had when Storm and them showed up at the beginning. (is this footage featured anywhere?)

and
I feel that Kitty pulling Magneto into the temple rather than Blink wasn't as cool and seemed out of place and a little odd. Also right before after they show blink you hear a "HUH" like when she opens portals. But then kitty shows up. Is that an audio error? (The "HUH" being from the theatrical version if that scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"