The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 5, Episode 5 "Self-Help" General Discussion

It always seemed odd to me that Eugene wouldn't discuss the specifics about how he was going to save the world. I had a feeling that he was lying all along about being a scientist with the knowledge to destroy the virus. At the worst I thought he was some lowly lab assistant but I did not expect him to have lied about everything. Wow!

I really feel bad for Abraham. His world just ended...again.

This season has been so freaking intense. I love it!

I don't think Abraham had been all that reasonable. It was only because Eugene shot up the truck that he wound up going with Glenn last season, and even then all he talked about was when they would split up to go to DC (and they did split up briefly). He nearly got into a fight with Rick over it two episodes ago and was willing to leave them with two people missing and Gareth's group stalking them. He was already talking about taking the bus right after they got to Gabriel's church.

I read the comics, so I knew Abraham's backstory and I knew Eugene was lying all along, but my family doesn't, and when we were having dinner last night before the show, my mom and sister both said they thought Abraham was running from something.

Like I said, I thought he was intense but fair. He compromised with Rick over and over. He stayed and helped with Gareth when he didn't have to. He seemed genuinely concerned with cutting a fair deal with Rick and Co.

I don't think his desire to get out of that church was unreasonable at all. It was a house of horrors, and there really wasn't a good reason to stay there.

One thing I had an issue with in this episode (and this is the only time I've really noticed this), is it seemed like you could get away from/avoid contact with zombies just by walking at a leisurely pace. When they fought the zombies at the truck and later in the flashback scene with Eugene, it seemed like a guy with no legs could have outrun them.

Do a better job with this, AMC. The zombies need to feel like a genuine threat.

Remember in the first two episodes of The Walking Dead when zombies could run, or rather jog at a quick pace?

Abraham never seemed reasonable to me, but rather a hot head who always seems to be on the bubble. I mean god he either had or nearly has come to blows with Rick, Glenn and Eugene, and all because he has a short fuse and an inability to handle anything that is contrary to "the mission".

This episode was the perfect culmination of that. The guy has always been on the edge so to speak and he finally cracked once he realised the one thing that was keeping him going was a sham.

tumblr_net33ul9Wi1s19ebpo1_250.gif
tumblr_net33ul9Wi1s19ebpo2_250.gif

Dawww, dat Glenn/Tara.

Remember in the first two episodes of The Walking Dead when zombies could run, or rather jog at a quick pace?

And pick up big rocks and bash them against doors, like the one at the department store in Season 1?

And pick up big rocks and bash them against doors, like the one at the department store in Season 1?

Running, picking up rocks, climbing fences...

Seems like earlier in the epidemic the walkers were more capable.

I found this episode to be the only dull one of the new season. Eugene's revelation was the only highlight for me.

I'm hoping next week picks things up a bit as we tie back into the central story. At least the Rick- led group.

Still angling to see what hell is going to break loose before the midseason break.

As a non reader it was pretty obvious to me that Eugene was making things up. I just didn't expect him to not even be a scientist at all. The man new how to sound like he knew what he was talking about. I think I have some friends like that.

Still angling to see what hell is going to break loose before the midseason break.

I'm really hoping it's not just a showdown with the hospital folk. Been there, done that. The Gareth plot line only avoided feeling repetitive because they're story (and the stuff they were doing) was interesting and really jarring. But I don't feel like I'd get that excited for another showdown-with-people-who-lost-their-humanity.

I'm really hoping it's not just a showdown with the hospital folk..

But how could it not be? We currently have Beth and Carol stuck in that hospital. And Daryl is back at the church with some person. Next episode will follow Daryl and Carol, and that leaves two episodes until the break.

Not a fan of these big breaks. :( Why can't they run a full season like other shows do?

If you dont like big breaks, wouldnt you really hate it if they extended the post-season break by 2 months? By breaking up the season at the halfway mark, you have to wait twice, but they are shorter waits.

If you dont like big breaks, wouldnt you really hate it if they extended the post-season break by 2 months? By breaking up the season at the halfway mark, you have to wait twice, but they are shorter waits.
I guess I am so used to it with everything else, it's the mid season breaks that jar me more. :p

Not a fan of these big breaks. :( Why can't they run a full season like other shows do?

Because networks usually don’t run new episodes over the holidays, so they’d rather split the season and run both halves consecutively instead of breaking it up with reruns in December.

They’ll probably do another marathon over New Years, though. :up:

I wonder which group Morgan will run into? Rick's (at the church) or Abe's group?

tumblr_net33ul9Wi1s19ebpo1_250.gif
tumblr_net33ul9Wi1s19ebpo2_250.gif

Dawww, dat Glenn/Tara.

As long as she's been on the show and I never knew what her name was until just now. Like every week I was "What's her name? I'll look it up later." *forgets* :doh:

the look on his face
505_Eugene_Explaining.png

I felt really bad for him, even though he lied to everybody. He seemed convinced that no one would bother with him if they didn't have a reason.

Eugene's reasoning for the lie was actually pretty solid apart from the deception and manipulation. From a purely survival mentality divorced of morality it makes sense.

He was like this at Paleyfest a few weeks ago too, it was so funny. He gave his whole speech about how Abraham’s mission was to get to Washington DC, and if the group didn’t want to go with them, he’d go without them if he had to.

His answer was so intense that everyone was just quiet for a few seconds, so he got up, dropped the mike, and walked out up the aisle high-fiving one. :funny:

Later, when Norman Reedus was going around taking questions during the Q&A, they found Cudlitz in the back, so he ran up and got him to ask a question. So he said, “Hi...I’m a first time caller...” and he asked Scott Gimple, “Mr. Dimple? When are you gonna bring Abraham on the show??”

So Scott Gimple deadpanned, “Well, he is on the show, and he’s played by you.” So Cudlitz just stood there like :wow:

It was HYSTERICAL. He’s really funny.

I would LOVE to see the videos for that :funny:

As long as she's been on the show and I never knew what her name was until just now. Like every week I was "What's her name? I'll look it up later." *forgets* :doh:

I felt really bad for him, even though he lied to everybody. He seemed convinced that no one would bother with him if they didn't have a reason.

i hated him, and he really deserved the hits to the face & the knockout... which means that the actor did a phenomenal job.

One thing I had an issue with in this episode (and this is the only time I've really noticed this), is it seemed like you could get away from/avoid contact with zombies just by walking at a leisurely pace. When they fought the zombies at the truck and later in the flashback scene with Eugene, it seemed like a guy with no legs could have outrun them.

Do a better job with this, AMC. The zombies need to feel like a genuine threat.

I believe in the comics Michonne explained the danger, been a while since I read this so I may be mis-remembering. Once a walker is on your tail they never stop, and most important they never tire. You can easily outdistance them but you will eventually need to stop and rest, while they never ever stop, unless you kill them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"