The Walking Dead Season 5, Episode 8 "Coda" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead' started by Sawyer, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Leenie

Leenie Registered

Yeah, no. Looks like both of them are taking it hard.

And if the next half of the season DOES focus all on Maggie with this whole thing, then why even have the scenes with Daryl and Beth from last season? It would be even sloppier writing if that happened.

"You're going to miss me so much when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon." Clearly, the writers will give Daryl a lot of focus. And if they don't, then ... Why even have these scenes at all? Feels like the show can't keep track of its characters if that's the case.

Also, to the user asking about what "Man Pain" is: It's when writers kill off a female character just to make a male character more angsty. Right now, looks like the writers don't even know what to do with Daryl, so ... Let's give him another thing to get all angsty about, because that's all that can be done with his character, apparently?

2. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

:dry:

What makes you think Daryl is the only one affected by this? Besides a sheer act of ignoring the obvious?

3. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Registered

I’m still taking it all in, but I’ll discuss randomly what I thought about the mid season finale, which I felt was pretty good overall.

Rick uttering the same words (“Can’t go back Bob.”) to officer Bob as Gareth did to season 4 Bob (during the season 5 premiere) before killing him was a creepy parallel, which again showed how far Rick has gone since season 1.

Tyreese revealing to Sasha about letting Martin live didn’t seem that big of a deal as it should’ve been, but other than that it was a nice moment between siblings. Sasha is converting to the world that they live in , while Ty refuses to let it consume his humanity.

When Carol started waking up (after Dawn and Beth’s conversation) I was waiting for her to punch Dawn in the face, but sadly it didn’t happen. At least Carol made it out alive. I was worried she wouldn’t.

It was hard for me to watch the moment where Gabriel finds what’s left of Bob’s amputated and charred broiled leg. Very grotesque and sickening even for this show.

It was good to see Abe off “time out” and is moving forward. And I doubt he’s done with Eugene . I can’t wait to see what Rick and the rest, who don’t know about the lie have to say. I hope one of ‘em say “I figured it was BS” or something along those lines.

Even though I couldn’t stand Dawn I thought the fight scene between her and the other officer was executed and choreographed skillfully. It really seemed like two officers duking it out and not actors. It proved that Dawn could fight and handle herself (at least against the living anyway) and not just beat up on defenseless people that she considers weak.

I thought the dutch camera angles during the climax (at the hospital) was a nice touch and very effective.

Now for the big enchilada…. the death of Beth. I did not see that coming. I thought she was going to make it out of the hospital alive and through the rest of the season. That was a brutal death for such a sweet and innocent young girl. I know I’ve talked a lot of smack about Beth before “Slabtown” aired, but I got to admit that her character grew on me. I found her to be a much more interesting than she ever was. Before she was always the human jukebox or Judith’s sitter/surrogate mother. She also proved that she could handle herself when push come to shove. Her death had more impact than it probably should‘ve on me. B/c I’ve been thinking about it all Sunday night and all day Monday. It’s been a while since I felt that way when a character died on TWD since Dale. Both deaths were unexpected and too soon, imo. So I guess that means I’ll miss Beth. They killed her off just when I was starting to like her.

It’s so tragic b/c she only got to reunite with most of the group, who she hasn’t seen since the prison was demolished by the Gov last season., for a few seconds. Plus Abe, Tara, and Rosita never got to meet her.

Daryl pulling out his gun to avenge Beth by shooting Dawn in the head was as satisfying ( but more heartbreaking with the look on Daryl’s face) as Rick keeping his word by slashing Gareth repeatedly with his machete. I really felt for Daryl in that moment almost as much as when he saw Merle had turned towards the end of season 3.

Now I’m normally a supporter of Maggie, but I didn’t buy her being excited that the group found Beth. She didn’t mention her once after they escaped Terminus and defeated the Hunters. She didn’t seem too concerned about Beth when she and Glenn agreed to go to WA with Abe, Eugene, etc. Even though Maggie knew Beth was alive b/c Daryl told her back at Terminus. Remember this is the same woman that was willing to travel the ends of the Earth to find her husband dead or alive, while putting her, Sasha, and Bob’s lives at risk in the process. But won’t or doesn’t seem to want to go those lengths for her little sister. This can’t be the same Maggie, who was concerned about Beth’s well being after she contemplated and attempted suicide during the middle of season 2. There were plenty of moments this half of the season where she could’ve mentioned Beth. To let the audience know that she still cares and thinks about her. And for that reason I wasn’t completely sold on Maggie breaking down like that over Beth. It didn’t feel earned, imo. Also when Michonne mentioned to Maggie that they found Beth. I was waiting for Tara to say something sarcastic like “I didn’t know you had a sister. As much as you’ve talked about her” I hope the next half of the season delves into this. By having Maggie feeling guilty over Beth for not going out searching for her in the way she did with Glenn. As well as not showing the same amount of concern as she did Glenn. B/c honestly it pains me to say it but I’m not digging how they’ve handle the character this season so far or even the 2nd half of last season for that matter. They need to do more with her instead of just kissing Glenn and being in the background.

I’ve been getting an Eli (from “The Book of Eli”) vibe with Morgan during both after credits of this season. So I take it he’ll be crossing paths with Rick by the season finale. Wonder if we’ll get a Morgan centered ep. showing how he got to this point in the show?

4. Leenie

Leenie Registered

Why focus a big part of last season on Daryl and Beth, then? Those scenes are going to lead to nothing, then? The show isn't going to show more of Daryl during the group's mourning and treat like whatever-the-heck-kinda-relationship they were building up between the two of them as if it never happened? Inconsistent writing if that's the case.

Not saying the rest of the group won't be affected, but based on previous episodes, the show has led us to believe that Daryl is going to be taking this really hard. That's because he saw a side to Beth that nobody in the group did. Why did all of those scenes happen last season if everybody else in the group is going to mourn in the exact same way? That wouldn't make sense.

By the way, I would like to say that I do not "ship" Daryl and Beth, because, quite simply, that pairing grosses me out. I saw their relationship as very sibling-like; that Daryl was taking on the big brother role like Merle did (and was learning how to be more compassionate than his brother, obviously). I just don't understand why the show establishes this relationship just to leave it ignored once Beth kicks the bucket?

Also, more "man pain" stuff: Beth's kidnapping is, in a way, Daryl's fault. I won't be shocked if we see him all mopey, blaming himself. That's boring to me. We've seen this stuff before over and over again with Daryl.

5. Kane52630

Kane52630 TURBO MAN USER

6. Heretic

Heretic Registered

This was my least favorite episode of the season...and given that it was the midseason finale (so it should be a huge episode), it is one of my least favorite episodes of the entire series.

1. I knew Beth was dead as soon as Michonne smiled and told Maggie that Bethw as still alive.
    2. When is this group going to stop trusting the people who try to kill them? It's simple...when someone has proven to be a threat to innocent life during the zombie apocalypse...KILL THEM. Had they killed their 3 prisoners and then taken out the other two with a sniper rifle who were driving around, then there'd be almost no one at the hospital to fight. They could sneak in and kill the few who were left, or even figure out a way to draw out another cop or two. Back Dawn into a corner and execute her for crimes against humanity. This would show a HUGE shift in the way the group operates. Instead, yet another person has to die because the group refuses to do what needs to be done.
    3. This hospital was basically a prison. The cops were routinely beating and raping the prisoners. Dawn was repeatedly presented as the one who was keeping a lid on the tyranny...she allowed some raping and beating to go on because she needed to keep the peace. Well...now she's gone...so the evil cops can rape and beat whenever they want. Yet, when Rick offered to free the prisoners NO ONE took him up on his offer. EVERYONE (except Noah, who had already left) chose to stay with the people who raped and beat them rather than go with Rick. So, how bad could this prison really be??
    4. Just a personal preference...but I really wanted Beth to live. I like the idea of making this show mostly non-comics characters (or characters who should be dead already, like Carol) and killing off characters that are still alive in the comics.

7. slimshady247

slimshady247 Honorary Ape

Tired of what crap?

8. Leenie

Leenie Registered

I agree, especially the part of the post I bolded. I didn't feel that Maggie's reactions to her sister in this episode were earned. The writers did not earn those moments at all.

Hopefully Maggie will feel tremendous guilt? She deserves the guilt, IMO. I hope she feels awful and miserable.

By the way, I used to really adore Maggie. She just annoys and bores me now.

9. the_ultimate_evil

the_ultimate_evil CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

just seen it, bloody hell. they really didnt need to kill her off.

it does seem like throwing away a decent character that was really starting to come into her own. im not sure on the whole Daryl/Maggie argument i'll see where it goes

10. the_ultimate_evil

doubt that it happens all the time, the uk got majorly ****ed over with Herschel spoilers, in e-mails and fb all from the official site

11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Registered

She wasn't really a decent character, and this show has become overstuffed as it is. If anything, they could stand to kill off another three or four characters.

12. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

A very disappointing episode for a mid season finale. When I think of season 4's epic showdown at the prison with The Governor and his troops, this one didn't even measure up to half of that. Nor did Beth's sudden demise have nearly the amount of impact that Hershel's did.

I am still trying to wrap my head around what was the point of the hospital storyline. Looking back on it I don't see it. It's like it was a plot device to get Rick and Co. to Atlanta.

The whole thing with Gabriel sneaking out of the church came to nothing. Just a plot device for some walker killing action. It's all so disappointing. The first three episodes of this season were INCREDIBLE. I hope the show goes back to that level of quality in the second half of the season.

For the love of god no more of this splitting the group up and giving one or two of them their own episodes, because they are usually slow plot filler episodes that kill the momentum of the show.

13. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Registered

Just saw the episode.

Looks like the writers remembered that Maggie was Beth's sister!

14. Leenie

Leenie Registered

:up: :up: :up:

I agree with everything in this post.

The first 3 episodes of this season were among some of my favorite episodes of the entire series. It's so sad that the quality went down that fast afterwards. Hopefully the second half of the season can rebound from what I consider to be a complete waste of time with the hospital.

15. Brother Jack

Brother Jack The Penitent Man

I think the branching plotting has done wonders for character development across this season and the back half of the last. I don't really understand the hostility toward it when, especially in this season, the story has been moving at a constant rate. I don't think it is the structure that was the problem with the hospital storyline, though it did exacerbate the issues. It was more about the mechanics of that group never being adequately explored and Dawn never quite gelling as a character.

16. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I was one of the ones who suffered for it unfortunately. I went on Facebook last night to basically find out Beth died because I like the actress on there. Missed me off. Thankfully, I still enjoyed the episode immensely and still shocked and very sad at the end. Hope this doesn't happen again though with something like this.

17. XtremelyBaneful

what daryl/maggie argument?

i didn't like this epsisode. it sucked. no good writing in my opinion.

18. yogamble

yogamble Registered

I really enjoyed the " There's no going back Bob " nod from the mid season finally Rick Grimes contrasted to the season opener from Garreth the Terminite/Hunter.

"There's no going back Bob"

19. Jesse

Jesse Old Curmudgeon

Rick running down Sergeant Lamson with the cop car was great. Gabriel is such an ass for leading all those walkers back to the church. Michonne swinging around her katana with baby Judith strapped to her back. The zombie falling into the machete head first made me laugh. Fire Engine to the rescue great parking job Abe. Pretty satisfying seeing that cop get pushed down the elevator shaft. Wasn't expecting Beth to stab Dawn but if any character had to go I'm glad it wasn't Carol. Great Morgan scene at the end. Looking forward to him reuniting with the group.

20. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

Pretty lame, killing Beth was a waste after all that set-up, the hospital angle was overall pretty boring...

The whole crew needs to hit the road. I wish they hadn't blown the Washington angle, a season of road tripping northwards would have shaken things up nicely.

Rick "I told him to stop" Grimes was the best part about this one. And admittedly it was a pretty good part :D

Also the "man pain" guy is an idiot.

That is all.

21. Leenie

Leenie Registered

Hurm. Is it because of the terminology/phrase I used? Because I think I've explained myself pretty well in regards to Daryl's character growth (or lack thereof in my opinion).

The point I've made is that the writers don't know what to do with Daryl (probably because he isn't a character from the comics), so it really seems to me that the only character development they add to Daryl is to find new ways/reasons to make him cry. We've seen it with Sophia, we've seen it with Merle, we've seen it with Hershel, and we've only just begun to see it with Beth. This is all stuff we've seen before, and it's b-o-r-i-n-g to me. I used to love Daryl, but I am so bored with him now. And the frustrating thing is that he doesn't need to be boring at all. The writers have made him that way.

In my eyes, the writers had Beth's character development cut short to "add" to Daryl's character "development." You can argue they killed Beth for Maggie as well (which doesn't make sense if that's the case, because we didn't see Maggie really care about her sister for an entire season, but I digress; I feel like a broken record on this one).

Also, this guy is a girl. And this girl is pretty darn tired of female characters being killed off too soon, raped, or beaten up just for the sake of making a male protagonist more tragic. Hence, "Man Pain." Not saying that no female characters should be killed off ever, but too many times has it happened too soon or unnecessarily. This is one of those times, and I think the writers were driven by Daryl while writing this episode. That's what my gut is telling me.

22. the_ultimate_evil

the whole who should be the center of the story with beths death and the whole man pain thing people are claiming

23. XtremelyBaneful

it hurt daryl more since he was with beth after the prison attack. plus he may still feel guilty because the whole reason she wound up in the hospital was because he opened the door to those zombies in that funeral home.

24. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

No you aren't an idiot :csad:, I was referring to the guy Sawyer mentioned after skimming the thread and about whom I assumed something else. Everything you said sounds pretty reasonable. Especially after all that set-up where they paired Beth and Darryl off in the first place.

#199 Whiskey Tango, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  25. Leenie

Leenie Registered

No worries, thank you for the response. :)