The "World's Finest" DC RPG Sign Up/OOC Thread

Just wanna say I'm really excited we have a Man O' Bats. Great choice, Harlekin!

Character you would like to play (please include the color and font you plan on using to portray the character): Batgirl Barbara Gordon

Powers and Brief Origin (provide at least two sentences) If you copy/paste this information from another website, link back to it, or it is considered plagiarism and is not allowed. : Barbara Gordon is the adopted daughter of police commissioner James Gordon. While still in her teens, she sought to surprise her father at a masquerade ball as a female version of her father's ally Batman. At the party she wound up saving the day from Killer Moth, as Bruce Wayne was attending and unable to escape to adorn his Batman guise. After this, Barbara couldn't get enough of the thrill of being a costumed vigilante. She became a sidekick to the Batman, and has had an on-again off-again relationship with Dick Grayson, the first Robin. Three years ago, while she was enjoying a quiet night at home with her father, her world was turned upside down. She answered the door, only to be shot in the spine by the Joker who subsequently kidnapped both her and her father. Paralyzed after this incident, Barbara took to her other skills, as the best computer hacker in the world, to aid the superheroes and costumed vigilantes of the world. As Oracle she was a member of the JLA, and utilized by the hero community world wide for intel. She also formed the Birds of Prey with her best friend Dinah Lance, the Black Canary. Recently, she regained the use of her legs, and has taken the mantle of Batgirl back.

Group your character is aligned with (if applicable): Birds of Prey, Batman-Family

Write two complete sentences using proper English grammar. One to explain what you plan to do with the character you've chosen. The other to explain why you've chosen this character. (i.e. What are your goals? Will you be doing anything different with the character than is usually seen?): I plan on working her through relearning the ropes of being Batgirl, and having her deal with the fears and pain that would come from her injury and recovery. I chose her for two reasons, the first being that I am not allowed Supergirl right now :oldrazz: and the second is that Babs is another of my favorite characters.

Do you have an Instant Messenger? Which one, and what is your screen name?: Yes, MSN, and whoever needs it has it, whoever doesn't can PM me for it.

If you know how to post pictures, please provide a picture of your character you wish to be used for the Character Roster (if you do not know how, or do not have a preference, please say so and a default picture shall be picked for you):
batgirl1.jpg
babst.jpg

Please provide a small sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least one line of dialogue):

Three years ago, my life changed forever. Dad and I were having an evening at home, something rare when your dad is the police commissioner of a city as violent and insane as Gotham City. The doorbell rang, and I answered it. I don't remember anything beyond that. The next thing I remembered was waking up in the hospital, I couldn't feel my legs.

The nightmares are still there. The worst were the ones where I was back in the cowl, falling endlessly, with no way of stopping myself. Three years of horror, of heartbreak, of perseverance. Countless hours of physical therapy, surgery after surgery, and I've gotten back to this. My legs are still weak, but you have no idea what it feels like to walk again. I stand here, like I did fivish years ago, waiting to prove myself, this time I have more to prove to myself than anyone else.

Against the moonlit backdrop of the Gotham City skyline was a woman standing on a gargoyle, a line in her hand. She dived from her perch and moments later the line shot out and caught her freefall, and as she swung to the next building, Barbara Gordon finally exhaled.

"Gotham criminals beware, because Batgirl is BACK."

The "World's Finest" DC RPG Application

Character you would like to play (please include the color and font you plan on using to portray the character): Clark Kent/Superman

Brief Origin (provide at least two sentences) If you copy/paste this information from another website, link back to it, or it is considered plagiarism, it will not be allowed.:

Born on the dying planet Krypton, the infant Kal-El was placed in a rocket by his scientist father Jor-El. Jor-El desperately launched the rocket into the unknown reaches of space as Krypton began to collapse. Unsure of where his son would go, Jor-El knew that anywhere would be better than Krypton. The rocket was barely out of the planet's orbit when Krypton exploded. The rocket escaped the explosive wake of the planet and drifted through the stars for years while the baby Kal-El slept in hibernating stasis. The space ship's AI finally found a suitable planet for the baby in the third planet from the star Sol.

Earth.

The rocket crash landed on the outskirts of Smallville, Kansas where elderly couple Jonathan and Martha Kent found the baby and took him in as their own. Naming him Clark Kent, the boy grew up on their farm. The solar radiation his body absorbed over time began to manifest themselves in the form of fantastic strength. Knowing something was amiss, the Kents told him the truth about his origins and where he was from when he was in college. Stunned by the news and unsure of what to do with it and himself, Clark was dealt a heavy blow six months later when both Jonathan and Martha both died within a month of each other.

Late one night, he was inspecting the rocket when he found a red blanket that was as indestructible as he was along with a Kryptonian symbol. With a crazy idea in his head, Clark sold the farm and moved to Metropolis after graduating college and took a job at the Daily Star and worked as a reporter by day, while at night he became something else. Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap over tall buildings in a single bound, more powerful than a locomotive, he was the champion for the poor, downtrodden, and oppressed. He was their Superman.

Fast forward five years later, Superman has become Metropolis' protector and one of the few superhumans who are generally liked by the populace. A founding member of the Justice League, he works side by side with the greatest heroes the Earth as ever known.

Group your character is aligned with (if applicable):
Justice League (Founding member)

Explain what you plan to do with the character you've chosen and why you've chosen this character.

I've got a lot of ideas with Superman, and I'm enjoying both Superman and Action comics. I have a few short-term and one overarching arc with the character, as well as one "backup" story with Jimmy Olsen I want to tell.

As to why I chose him, it's Superman. I haven't played him in a good while, and I think this time i have the ideas and the tools to make a decent run with him.

Do you have an Instant Messenger? Which one, and what is your screen name?: [email protected]

If you know how to post pictures, please provide a picture of your character you wish to be used for the Character Roster (if you do not know how, or do not have a preference, please say so and a default picture shall be picked for you):

2mm7qwz.png

Please provide a small sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least one line of dialogue):

"Excuse me, Councilman," I call out to Councilman Walker as he's walking out of City Hall.

"Oh, God," he says with the roll of his eyes. "Not you again!"

"Yes, me again." I pull out my notepad and pen, clicking the end of the pen. "I told you last week, and the week before, that 'no comment' is not going to work. I want to know why you're sponsoring a bill to shut down half of Metropolis' homeless shelters I'll be out here everyday after you're done in your office, and I'll keep calling. You'll find that I'm a very patient man."

"What about your boss?"

"Mr. White is also patient and we want-"

"Sorry, I mean your boss's boss. Mr. Edge. I wonder what he'll say?"

I crinkle my nose. It's not that I don't trust Morgan Edge...okay, it is that I don't trust Morgan Edge. Lois and I investigated him more than a few times for links to organized crime. There was some flimsy stuff between him and a few companies we thought were fronts, but nothing concrete. Then he buys out the Daily Planet and all that gets thrown out the window. He went from "shady businessman" to "the spiritual architect of the New Daily Planet" so fast it would make Flash's head spin.

"So, I take it that you have no comment on the homeless shelter initiative?"

"What do you think," Walker hisses. "Believe me, Mr. Edge will hear about this."

Walker storms off and I shake my head, placing my notebook and pen back into my back pocket. The phone in my front pocket vibrates and I pull it out.

"Clark!"

"Jim, what is it?"

"How soon can you get to the Planet's offices? Something big is going down."

"What?"

"The skull guy is back. What's his name...Atomic Skull! He's down in Fleischer Square. We've got a front row seat!"

"Get off the phone, Jimmy, we need footage of this now!"

"Gotta go, now get down here now!"

The line cuts off and I stuff my phone back into my pocket and jog down the sidewalk for half a block before ducking into a side alley. I reach down and pull up my baggy t-shirt, revealing the blue armor underneath.

approvalpic2b.png

The "World's Finest" DC RPG Application

Character you would like to play (please include the color and font you plan on using to portray the character): Wonder Woman

Brief Origin (provide at least two sentences)If you copy/paste this information from another website, link back to it, or it is considered plagiarism, it will not be allowed: :

(Pieced together from what information I can glean from the New 52 and previous incarnations)

On the island of Themyscira the Amazon tribe of warrior women lived closed off from the world of Man. Their queen Hippolyta was barren, but longed for a daughter. She molded a baby from clay and prayed for the gods to bestow life upon it, to give her the daughter she could never have. When she awoke the next morning, Hippolyta found a baby girl where the clay had been: the perfect Amazon, born of woman without the touch of man.

The girl grew up to become Diana, Princess of the Amazons, and eventually won her place as their champion, Wonder Woman, to act as an envoy to the Patriarch's world, and as a protector from all manner of supernatural threats.

Group your character is aligned with (if applicable): Justice League

Explain what you plan to do with the character you've chosen and why you've chosen this character:

Wonder Woman is a very difficult character to really 'get,' and I always enjoy a challenge. While I already play Wondy in Ultimate DC, I plan on playing this one a little closer to the current incarnation, focusing on mythological horror, as I think that's a niche that Diana can fill that most other DCU characters can't.

Do you have an Instant Messenger? Which one, and what is your screen name?:

I'm on AIM, MSN, and Skype. Y'all should already know my screen names by now.

NewWW_tomhodges.jpg

Leslie stopped in her tracks, desperately panting for breath as she pressed her back against the rusted-out husk of an old pickup truck. Hundreds of other derelict cars were piled up around her, a junkyard that was almost impossible to navigate.

She didn't did how she and her friends got here. She didn't even know where here was, exactly. And she certainly didn't know what that....thing was, that now stalked her among the maze of forgotten clunkers, its cloven hooves pounding into the dirt with a dull thud-thud-thud as it approached.

She did know that it meant to kill her, just as it had killed all of the others. It would find her, and pull her limbs from their sockets with a wet POP like it did to her boyfriend Trent, and crush her throat in its teeth, and gore her through with its horns.

Leslie finally managed to catch her breath, long enough for her to cry.

The thud-thud-thud of the creature's hooves grew louder, interrupted by guttural snorts, until she saw its massive bulk rounding the corner into view. She was too tired and too afraid to run now; all she could do was pray.

However, as the monster prepared to charge, another figure landed from above in front of Leslie. A woman with long black hair, a length of shining golden rope clenched in her fist.

"You're a long way from Crete, Asterion," said Wonder Woman as she stared down the Minotaur, placing herself between the flesh-eating monster and the horrified girl. "You'll have to tell me what you're doing here, if I leave you in any condition to talk."

The beast roared and charged, and the Amazon was there to meet him with a war-cry of her own.

And Leslie watched, wide-eyed, as the warrior princess fought, alone, in a world of gods and monsters.

We still don't know how Zeus is going to end up being her father--though we will in issue 3--so when we do find out, did you plan on incorporating it? That's the odd thing about starting the RPG right now. Some characters are still in "set-up" mode.

In general, though,
approvalpic2b.png

I thought they revealed Zeus was Wondy's father at the end of issue two? I thought Strife flat out told her she was Zeus' daughter.

I thought they revealed Zeus was Wondy's father at the end of issue two? I thought Strife flat out told her she was Zeus' daughter.

Revealed, but not explained how. That is for issue 3 from what we are told.

Revealed, but not explained how. That is for issue 3 from what we are told.

You need DC to explain the birds and the bees to you, trusty? :cwink:

Nice to see the roster coming together. Let's get some villains in the mix, people!

I wanna be that corporate dude that Superman was pushing around in Action Comics #1!

Continue my legacy of Superman villainy! :argh:

Say he became Metropolis' mayor in the years since he was first shown.

All of my posts will just be me running around and hiding whenever Superman shows up, and then drumming my fingers together evilly when I think the alien's not looking. Like a more cowardly Mr. Burns.

It will be the stuff of nightmares.[/don't know or care what the character's name was]

We still don't know how Zeus is going to end up being her father--though we will in issue 3--so when we do find out, did you plan on incorporating it? That's the odd thing about starting the RPG right now. Some characters are still in "set-up" mode.

I do plan on incorporating the retcon of Diana's parentage. Just haven't quite worked out how yet.

[/don't know or care what the character's name was]

Glen Glenmorgan.[/doesn't care that you don't care]

Hey, all!

I was thinking of joining up, I've been looking for a good RPG to take part in for a while. Before I decide on a character to apply for, I had a question regarding the stats quo. The game begins, if I understand correctly, when the New 52 books begin. But will the game be at all controlled by what happens in the books?

For example, if I apply as a Flash (hypothetically), and I take him somewhere that contradicts what is going on in the books, would that be a problem? Or is the New 52 just a jumping-off point and from there it's totally our own world?

Thanks a bunch!

The latter; we're just using the initial status quo of the New 52 as the jumping-on point, and then making it up as we go along from there.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

To put my cards on the table, I had a desire to apply for Nightwing. The only thing that was stopping me was that, at this point in the new series, we don't know the exact circumstances of his transition from Robin to Nightwing, and I didn't want to delve into that in my posts, only to be contradicted by the series later on and have to retcon a bunch of stuff to fit it.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

To put my cards on the table, I had a desire to apply for Nightwing. The only thing that was stopping me was that, at this point in the new series, we don't know the exact circumstances of his transition from Robin to Nightwing, and I didn't want to delve into that in my posts, only to be contradicted by the series later on and have to retcon a bunch of stuff to fit it.

Sure, feel free to do your thing.

I just have to ask if you please use your other account. Thanks a bunch!

How come? Is that a condition to me being allowed to join?

Because, really, I'm tired of that account and just...don't want to use it anymore?

Just wondering why you'd waste a perfectly good account we all know you by.

Oh, it wasn't really a "don't want anybody to know who I am"-thing (SoC), I just genuinely wanted a new account.

Well, go ahead. Just keep in mind that Batman's continuity is pretty much intact in the relaunch so how Dick became Nightwing should pretty much be the same.

Eh, f**k it.

In any case, I'm not a big fan of how DC is trying to have their cake and eat it too, by rebooting everything except Batman & Green Lantern. My hesitation when it comes to Nightwing was both his transition from Robin to Nightwing, and his year-long tenure as Batman. We really don't know anything about that year and why Bruce was 'away', and I didn't really want to make my own thing out of it, only to have it not be what DC makes official.

While you haven't posted on your Sensei account in like 2 and a half months, no need to make a new acct dude. I'm glad that byrd's...rough lovin' got you to post on it. :cwink: :oldrazz: :awesome:

Eh, f**k it.

In any case, I'm not a big fan of how DC is trying to have their cake and eat it too, by rebooting everything except Batman & Green Lantern. My hesitation when it comes to Nightwing was both his transition from Robin to Nightwing, and his year-long tenure as Batman. We really don't know anything about that year and why Bruce was 'away', and I didn't really want to make my own thing out of it, only to have it not be what DC makes official.

If it's different, it's different. So be it. Anything that happened before the "present" during the relaunch is pretty much fair game for the RPG if DC hasn't stated exactly what happened. Think of it as an almost different universe. The almost new DC RPG.

Eh, f**k it.

Batman Inc is still intact, therefore it applies to reason that the time-travel craziness that proceeded it is also still canon. I think it's best just to not think too much about the relaunch and its logic holes. Long-running characters have always been subject to some implausible time squeezes anyway. It's not like you need to revisit past continuity in detail. All you need are the bullet-points:

- Dick Grayson started as Robin
- Once he got older, he became Nightwing
- When Bruce was out of commission, Dick became Batman for a while
- Bruce is Batman again, but Dick is hanging around Gotham as Nightwing

Glad to have you playing in the game, Sensei. If you do decide on Nightwing, it'll be cool working with you!

Thanks, Keys! I just realized we´ve never really done stuff together (ew) just you and I. I'm pretty pumped about Nightwing, actually, so I'm thinking I'll throw up an app later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"