The "World's Finest" DC RPG Sign Up/OOC Thread

Look, I'm going to put it in the most blatant terms imaginable - F*** DC. F*** 'em. They're not going to give us many of the details anytime soon because they have their writers doing their own stuff, so there's no reason to owe anything to them beyond the initial 1-2 issue established continuity. Past events? Fill in the blanks yourself. DC hasn't been clear about it, they're leaving us with no choice. Say this happened, this happened, this happened, ect, ect. without so much as a flying **** as to what the actual continuity is in DC's mind. Because chances are from what I've seen, they don't even know that right now. Absolutely no thought was put into that stuff when the comics' relaunch was given the go-ahead, they were just concerned with getting new readers and telling new stories under an incredibly restrictive timeline.

This is our payback. :argh:

This is basically what I'm going with. Buddy's basically never really been a huge hero. If their timeline is different, **** them.

Look, I'm going to put it in the most blatant terms imaginable - F*** DC. F*** 'em. They're not going to give us many of the details anytime soon because they have their writers doing their own stuff, so there's no reason to owe anything to them beyond the initial 1-2 issue established continuity. Past events? Fill in the blanks yourself. DC hasn't been clear about it, they're leaving us with no choice. Say this happened, this happened, this happened, ect, ect. without so much as a flying **** as to what the actual continuity is in DC's mind. Because chances are from what I've seen, they don't even know that right now. Absolutely no thought was put into that stuff when the comics' relaunch was given the go-ahead, they were just concerned with getting new readers and telling new stories under an incredibly restrictive timeline.

This is our payback. :argh:
My only issue, and I've arrived at your same conclusion, is that if I was going to take that approach with an app... I'd do it for UDC and not our DCU RPG. Every time I try to work on my Raven app, I wind up thinking that I'd prefer to just wipe the slate clean than try cherry picking what should be kept and what should be put aside.

Yeah. Still not a fan of this new 52 ********.

Well, if you can't adapt what's in the dcnu, then create a new origin.

And if you don't want to create a new origin, then don't play the character.

Unfortunately, those are about the only two choices left to us.

Well, there is a third. Reuse the old continuity.

Well, if you can't adapt what's in the dcnu, then create a new origin.

And if you don't want to create a new origin, then don't play the character.

Unfortunately, those are about the only two choices left to us.

Well, there is a third. Reuse the old continuity.

I'm up for all three of those options if the character you want to play hasn't been introduced into the comics yet.

The RPG is BASED on the DCnU. It's a jumping off point, nothing more.

I agree with that in practice, but not with 'make up your own new origin'. Try and balance DCnU with the old.

For example, Raven's probably a part of the DCnU. The Titans still existed, just not as the Titans. I figure you muck about with the timeline on that, but it would be odd to have Raven show up now and warn everyone of the threat of Trigon.

Yeah, honestly, I think that we should try and steer clear of the whole idea of characters being "reintroduced" in the first place. This is supposed to be an established DC Universe, so we should treat it as such and just have most, if not all of the characters aware of eachothers' existence. Only in the rare exception, like say a brand new character is introduced in the comics after the RPG begins that someone likes and wants to apply for, would it be alright to amend this and perfectly understandable within the context of the game.

And yeah, I get that for some characters, it'd be a little tricky with the continuity already established for the jumping off point. Supergirl, Superboy, Jaimie Reyes, and all of the current generation of Teen Titans are in the midst of their origin stories in the new continuity. (Though the latter is a point of contention, but I digress) And to that, I say fine, whatever you want to do. Leave the status of those characters open to the players that will eventually pick them up. But let's keep it to those few characters and leave the rest largely established and known. It'd be a huge mistake to have characters like Superman and Steel, Batman and Azrael, or Flash and any of the Rogues acting as strangers to one another.

Would anyone be too particularly upset if I have the proper Harley Quinn show up and murder that....thing from Suicide Squad that DC is trying to pass off as Harley?

Don't speak of it.

DON'T SPEAK OF IT! :cmad:

Wait, then this is a The New 52 RPG?
I tought this was another normal DC universe rpg where players could shoose if they're character are already public knowledge or not like the All-Star Marvel and Ultimate DC rpgs

Nope. Just like the last game was based off the post-Infinite Crisis continuity, the RPG is based on the post-Flashpoint DCnU.

I think people are being a bit neurotic in over-thinking this. I'd say simply don't ask yourself "What if?" Unless something specifically contradicts that character's existence, play whoever in the DCU you want to, retaining their pre-New 52 powers and personality. Later, if anything emerges in the comics to suggest their history has been altered, we can handle that when we come to it. As it stands, it's not like you are being drafted to write their detailed autobiography, you're having them fight giant robots and punch bad guys. Exactly how many years they were once part of the Teen Titans or whatever doesn't need to be dwelled upon for that.

Wait, then this is a The New 52 RPG?
I tought this was another normal DC universe rpg where players could shoose if they're character are already public knowledge or not like the All-Star Marvel and Ultimate DC rpgs

The first post of this thread explains what you are confused about:
2zy8sx4.jpg

Theirs is a world of heroes. An era of champions. They work all over the globe, from the Man of Steel in Metropolis to the Chinese guardians the Great Ten. Their reach extends even into the deep reaches of space, where the emerald warriors of the Green Lantern Corps. fight. But the heroes are not only ones to call this era home. Forces of evil conspire to tear this world's uneasy peace asunder. Peace, like most things worth fighting for, will not come easy.

Will the champions of Earth and beyond win the day, or will the agents of chaos make it all come crashing down?

The choice is yours to decide. Hero or villain? It's up to you. The fate of the this world rest in your hands. A new era has dawned, and it's future is yours to decide. Right here, right now in the World's Finest DC RPG!

This RPG is based off of the DC new 52 relaunch.

See the bottom part?

In his defense, it's super tiny. Tried to make in the style of WoH's first post.

But yeah, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD! :cmad:

No harm in enlarging it to regular size and possibly making it bold.

Never! Fine print for everyone! If you'll notice, all the apps have fine print tiny and in white that says "by posting this app, you officially become legal property of Byrd."

*double checks Starfire application*

hmmmmmmm-1.gif

App will be up in the next day or so...no villains yet...gotta change that! Possibly the Joker...or maybe....not sure still thinking the Joker though.

Seriously tossing my hat into the ring for Captain Marvel. Just gotta get a sample and an application written up, but given what this week has in store for me, it might be a few days.

I was considering Captain Marvel, but I wanna see what they end up doing in the back-up feature that comes out with Justice League #3 entitled "The Curse of Shazam" which is Johns and this other artist revamping the Captain Marvel mythos. I am very curious what they will do so that's why I haven't dabbled in an app for him. He's one of my possible 3 choices at the moment.

Oh, they're actually bringing him into the new 52? Hmm...

Yea should be in 2 weeks from tomorrow that JL #3 comes out if I'm correct. Or is it next week from tomorrow? I get mixed up after the release of the #1s.

The "World's Finest" DC RPG Application

Character you would like to play (please include the color and font you plan on using to portray the character): Lex Luthor

Brief Origin (provide at least two sentences)If you copy/paste this information from another website, link back to it, or it is considered plagiarism, it will not be allowed: :

Lex Luthor has been called a ruthless business man, a humanitarian, one of the most gifted minds on the planet, and a souless monster who only cares about himsef.

It's all true. But anyone who claims to really know Lex Luthor, doesn't really know Lex Luthor.

Lex didn't have a happy childhood. His mother was the only one to really love him, but after her death at an early age, Lex grew up under his father's harsh hand. A moderately successful businessman, Lional Luthor only wanted the best for his son. And to make him strong. Strong enough to take the world and own it. He made sure Lex had the best tutors, learned about the finest things in life, and never wanted for anything growing up.

But all Lex really wanted was his father's love and approval.

And friends. Even just one friend.

When Lional's company went under during a recession, he had no choice but to locate to Suicide Slums in Metropolis, where the last of his holdings to survive the takeover, a small factory, still ran.

Lex lost everything because of the move. The money, the tutors, the art, and the access to scientific equipment, his favorite hobby, were all gone. And Lex also lost his father to the bottle, which turned Lional from strict and harsh, to abusive.

Lex spent a year suffering through small town life until the tragic death of his father. Lex was able to take the insurance money, turn his father's factory around, and begin to create the empire that would make Metropolis his.

And he will do whatever it takes to protect what is his...

Group your character is aligned with (if applicable): Republican

Explain what you plan to do with the character you've chosen and why you've chosen this character:

I want to be a villain. A real villainy villain. Time to branch out from the hero biz I spent years RPing and be the bad boy for a change. Chicks dig bad boys. Especially rich, bad boys.

And this game needs a villain.

Do you have an Instant Messenger? Which one, and what is your screen name?: MSN. Take a guess. And you better have a damn good reason to use it! :cmad:

If you know how to post pictures, please provide a picture of your character you wish to be used for the Character Roster (if you do not know how, or do not have a preference, please say so and a default picture shall be picked for you):
2nvccqp.jpg

Please provide a small sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least one line of dialogue):

SWISH

I watch the small white ball travel through the air. For a few moments it seems to just hover. But then gravity takes hold and it quickly drops onto the green below, rolling to just within a few feet of the cup.

I smile. I might just break 70 today.

I walk to the cart where Mercy is scrolling on her tablet. I sit behind the wheel and drive towards the green. As cliche as it is, golf is one of the few things that totally relaxes me. Meditation and zen combined with a bit of exercise and fresh air.

But business doesn't wait for anyone. Not even me. Not yet, anyway.

"Well?"

"The mayor apologizes, but he will need to postpone lunch until tomorrow."

I shrug. "That's fine. I suppose he isn't interested in my contributions for his campaign after all. Make a dinner appointment for tomorrow night with his party rival, whatshisname."

"That would be-"

"If I cared what his name was, I would have remembered it." I pull up to the green and grab the putter from my bag.

"The budget expendature list from LexCorp Comms is in. It's 2% above projected. But, they say they can have the LexNet sattilites launched three weeks ahead of schedule."

I crouch down to read the green. "Tell them to finish five weeks early and no one gets fired to make up that 2%."

Mercy makes a note as I line up my shot.

"Lois Lane called again."

I stop my swing before I flub the putt. "I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or flattered. Or maybe I should finally buy that paper she works for and have her fired."

I look up at the clouds and take a calming breath. "Fine. Set something up for next week. At least that will give me a few days peace from her." I line up my shot again. "Anything else?"

"Not at the moment, Lex."

I take my swing and the ball follows the curve of the green, dropping right into the cup with that satisfying sound. I smile.

"Defintely breaking 70."

Last edited:
I'll only approve you if you create Otis! :cmad:

Also...

The "World's Finest" DC RPG Application

Character you would like to play (please include the color and font you plan on using to portray the character): Dick Grayson / Nightwing

Brief Origin (provide at least two sentences): Orphaned when his parents were murdered by mobsters, young acrobat Dick Grayson was taken in by billionaire Bruce Wayne.

Before long, Bruce revealed to the youngster that he was, in fact, the mysterious Batman of Gotham City. Eager to help fight crime, Dick became the first Robin, Boy wonder.

After years of fighting by Batman's side, Dick had a falling out with his mentor. Venturing to Bludhaven, he forged his own identity; Nightwing.

Since then, Dick has mended his relationship with his adoptive father and the two now fight side by side as equals, keeping Gotham safe. Dick recently took up the mantle of the Batman for a year, during Bruce's disappearance, but has since slipped back into his old Nightwing garb.

Group your character is aligned with (if applicable): Batman Inc, the Bat-family.

Explain what you plan to do with the character you've chosen and why you've chosen this character: Nightwing is my favorite superhero of all time, yet I've never played him. Now is as good a chance as any, and I guess my plan is to have some fun. Hopefully, I'll write some good stories and, along with Keys and Supergirl (and, without a doubt, more to come), keep the Bat-family going strong in the game.

If you know how to post pictures, please provide a picture of your character you wish to be used for the Character Roster (if you do not know how, or do not have a preference, please say so and a default picture shall be picked for you):

2013858-nightwing_cover_by_colossus484_d4acxkg.jpg

Please provide a small sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least one line of dialogue):

Being Batman for a whole year taught me some things. See, all the way back when I was Robin up until a couple of years ago, I was impatient. Whenever Bruce and I were skulking in the shadows, stalking criminals from afar, I'd be chomping at the bit to hurl myself into the fray.

Bruce could wait for hours if he needed to, just watching. Me? Not so much.

"Show yourself, coward!"

Then I had to be Batman. And in doing so, I developed a real appreciation for the art of...well, scaring the crap out of people.

I've taken down all but two of the thugs guarding the weapons shipment. Bruce got the intel off some pusher he snagged a couple of days back. We don't know where it's coming from but we know something big is going down.

"FIGHT ME LIKE A MAN!" one of them screams at the shadows. He's swearing like crazy, they both are. They're shaking so bad they can hardly hold their guns.

Now comes the part I really like.

I land with a thud behind the bigger of the two. His head snaps back, his gun a second later. "It's the Bat!" he shouts.

"Close, but no cigar." I quip, as my knee connects with his stomach. I spin, my elbow slamming into his face.

"Nightwing!" the other yells out as he unleashes a hail of bullets. I somersault out of harm's way fine, but he came awful close to shooting his friend full of holes. How's that for honor among thieves?

"We have a winner!"

The crook tries to spot me but before he can, an escrima stick comes flying out of the shadow. It breaks his hand in two places, his gun making a dull thud on the ground. The man falls to his knees and lets out a howl.

"Now, let's you and I talk about this shipment of yours.."

To make it official, 24 hours have past and you're APPROVED!

Excellent. Finally that "Approve Sensei's Application"-movement down on Wall Street can end!

Out of curiosity, having the DCnU be the jumping off point, does that mean the convoluted mess that the Green Lantern continuity has become will be in effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"