The Writers and Hiddleston talk Thor!

Yeah, read it a while ago. Sounds good.. sounds good

Long wait though..

Is there any Thor storylines you are inspired by?

AM-So many things. Certainly, Walt Simonson's take on the character greatly informs what we brought to the script although I wouldn't say we went to a specific story from his tenure on the book. We saw part of our job as taking all the many approaches to the character over the years (including the myths) and distilling them down into a form that worked for a two-hour movie. There's a tremendous amount of ground to cover, so inspiration has to come from everywhere.

As a writer what would you like to bring to the characters in the Thor Saga?

AM-Grit. Not in the sense that you'd want to see a generic "dark" take on Thor, but in the sense that you want to feel Thor's rage when he rages. You want to see him fight like bad place, and take as much he dishes out -- maybe more. You want to have a visceral reaction to the guy, and what happens to him. You don't want his adventures to be clean and antiseptic. You want to see the dirt, and grime and blood. You want to feel every bone crunching moment of every fight. And when he unleashes the storm, you want to feel like you're seeing the power of a GOD at work.
The best example I can give you is the end of Ultimates 2. When Thor shows up and kicks ash, he shows up and kicks ash. He isn't screwing around. There's a certain brutal, cork-eyed realism to Thor in that moment (and through that book in general) that I really resonate to and want to expand on.

http://www.cinefools.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=900

It's going to be worth the wait :).

For anyone who missed Marvels description of the film and how it's split between Earth and Asgard, here you go

This epic adventure spans the Marvel Universe; from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Last edited:
I love how she said they want to make you feel like your watching A God... thats what i was most afraid of.. i want it to really feel like **** this is the God of Thunder!

Ashley Miller is a he ;)

Have just read the actual article, I'm wondering....the Walt Simonson run and Beta Ray Bill saga aside...are they doing any homages or referring to the days when Kirby was drawing and plotting it? That's something I'm interested in. Seems only fitting. He made the character originally - costume, Asgard, warriors three, basic foundations...etc...what it is.

Have to admit I'm not really familiar with either of these incarnations but it seems that these movies turn out most successfully when they return more to their roots.

Have just read the actual article, I'm wondering....the Walt Simonson run and Beta Ray Bill saga aside...are they doing any homages or referring to the days when Kirby was drawing and plotting it? That's something I'm interested in. Seems only fitting. He made the character originally - costume, Asgard, warriors three, basic foundations...etc...what it is.

Have to admit I'm not really familiar with either of these incarnations but it seems that these movies turn out most successfully when they return more to their roots.

Although Simonson did a heck of a job, Kirby's Thor is by far the best imo. It was also easily the most successful.

I love the interview from the writers, and I think they have nailed the essence of Thor. I have confidence that they will deliver a movie that is worth of the superhero Thor.

Sorry but this doesn't make me optimistic yet.

I re-call similar interpretations from Ang Lee and Zack Penn when writing the Hulk. Instead of Shakespeare they made comparisons to greek myth.

Actors and writers like to talk big to show fans their taking the source material seriously but thats not enough to make a successful franchise. It is a good start however. :yay:

So the fact that Kenneth B. is directing doesnt make you optimistic at all??

No, he's a noob when it comes to big budget superhero movies and his filmography isn't exactly filled with memorable classics. He's a strange choice to take on a film project of this size.

No, he's a noob when it comes to big budget superhero movies and his filmography isn't exactly filled with memorable classics. He's a strange choice to take on a film project of this size.

:dry:

:facepalm

Just because a movie is based on classic literature doesn't mean it's automatically a classic film.

Your saying Hamlet and Henry V arent classic films??? :huh:

I said memorable classics.

I don't know many people who remember those films fondly. They're obscure classics to some extent which doesn't mean much when adapting comic books for the masses.

I don't know many people who remember those films fondly. They're obscure classics to some extent which doesn't mean much when adapting comic books for the masses.
Henry V isn't obscure. I haven't seen it, but I've heard of it being a good film. It's in the public consciousness, to an extent.

I couldn't see Most of the films in the past 3 years do to money and work, Tho I do trust friends when they say Henry V was great.
I Trust what Marvel's doing.

:facepalm

Although Simonson did a heck of a job, Kirby's Thor is by far the best imo. It was also easily the most successful.

Okay,....then why is there really no mention of that era or influence? I feel once again I'm going to be disappointed with an incarnation of a character I don't recognize as my own -and will leave the theater thinking "Man, what could have been!"

There IS Agent. Protosevich had an interview awhile back and he said he was a TALES OF ASGARD fan. The first draft reads like a ToA story with some added myth.

It's one of the reasons I've been pushing everyone to read the Reprints coming out.

Okay Vartha,...now I feel better again about this project. I've been more enthused about this one movie more than any other I can remember in recent memory.

HEH Believe me Agent, the first draft was simply amazing. It pays BIG tribute to most of Volume one stories. The script is like ToA and Ages of Asgard wrapped together. For that matter the Man of War was alot like part of the Movie script. Since Fraction borrowed from actual myth for the Ages books you have to figure he MAY have borrowed from the Frist draft as well.
I just wish I knew What they added and or changed with the rewrites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"