TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the biggest let-down of this movie, storywise, was the lack of wonder and awe when first introducing Superman. It's like he just showed up in the suit and started flying. He shouldn't have been struggling with flying for the first time like that...kills the moment. It should have just been that powerful launch...struggling should have come much earlier if at all. And it didn't feel like he had made a momentous, pivotal decision to become Superman. That moment really needed to been more powerful and uplifting.

I would say, trailer #3 ruined Supes debut money shot. I think his first appearance as Superman should have been hidden. Instead, it was something we've already seen (walking out of Fortress.) Just an initial thought right now.

EDIT: I didn't see Kal-Marts post above haha. I share that same initial thought.

I think the biggest let-down of this movie, storywise, was the lack of wonder and awe when first introducing Superman. It's like he just showed up in the suit and started flying. He shouldn't have been struggling with flying for the first time like that...kills the moment. It should have just been that powerful launch...struggling should have come much earlier if at all. And it didn't feel like he had made a momentous, pivotal decision to become Superman. That moment really needed to been more powerful and uplifting.
I loved the struggle.

Also, don't feel like that was the moment he decided to become Superman. That came later, with the "You can save her. You can save all of them."

The suit reveal was awkward, and before that, Kal finally meeting the image of his father. Both happened without any dramatic treatment.

you get a glimpse of the suit, cut back to Jor-El and Kal talking, then the suit.

The suit reveal was awkward, and before that, Kal finally meeting the image of his father. Both happened without any dramatic treatment.

you get a glimpse of the suit, cut back to Jor-El and Kal talking, then the suit.

Suit reveal was weak. No one mentioned it when it popped out. Say something!

I mean, I already know what the symbol on Jor-El's chest is. But the director acted like that was more important. Notice how the camera pans a bit down when Jor-El opens up his robe.

I've already seen Jor-El's chest. I've already seen the SUPERMAN attire, for goodness sake.

Yeah...felt more like just a bullet point along the way than a real discovery or enlightenment. They dropped the ball big time on that.

[BLACKOUT]Lois almost dies during that[/BLACKOUT]. Thought it was pretty dramatic.

The suit reveal was a take it over leave it moment. I can understand that. Love his walk out though, with his muscles and cape. Perfect silhouette.

I know the symbol is iconic, but so is actually choosing to put on the suit. It's incredibly symbolic.

I would've had the scene end with the suit reveal. Don't even switch to flying yet (unless a major fight happens immediately afterward).

Do an upward shot, like the viewer is on all fours, and then have the light in the chamber slowly glow to life, then cut away to elsewhere.

EDIT: You can have it rotate, and of course it needs to have an intense, urgent, awe-inspiring musical climax to go along, which Zimmer more than provided.

Last edited:
[BLACKOUT]Lois almost dies during that[/BLACKOUT]. Thought it was pretty dramatic.

The suit reveal was a take it over leave it moment. I can understand that. Love his walk out though, with his muscles and cape. Perfect silhouette.

I liked the way the cape hung and the color of the sky, but that's not the point. It should have been the iconic and pivotal emotional/character point of the movie...the introduction of a new Superman. But it was flat, regardless for the elements...that's really common shortcoming with this film as a whole. It's like having all the right ingredients and nice dining ware, but the presentation and flavor leave a lot to be desired.

I would've had the scene end with the suit reveal. Don't even switch to flying yet (unless a major fight happens immediately afterward).

Do an upward shot, like the viewer is on all fours, and then have the light in the chamber slowly glow to life, then cut away to elsewhere.

Or start from behind him at his feet and follow him out, eventually dollying around front to reveal him majestically...all the while building up that music. Then maybe ending with that booming takeoff.

Or start from behind him at his feet and follow him out, eventually dollying around front to reveal him majestically...all the while building up that music. Then maybe ending with that booming takeoff.

:up: :up:

Saw it, loved it. Rottentomatoes can suck it.

So...Metropolis...

It got ****ing wrecked and surely millions of citizens perished.

So...Metropolis...

Yeah, and some are definitely going to blame a certain individual that was followed here.

So...Metropolis...

It was kinda jarring how during the final battle between Zod and Superman there seemed to be two versions of Metropolis, one that was a basically smoking ruin not unlike Hiroshima, and another one that seemed completely intact and cut off from the chaos that was currently going on.

I liked the way the cape hung and the color of the sky, but that's not the point. It should have been the iconic and pivotal emotional/character point of the movie...the introduction of a new Superman. But it was flat, regardless for the elements...that's really common shortcoming with this film as a whole. It's like having all the right ingredients and nice dining ware, but the presentation and flavor leave a lot to be desired.
But that is the thing, it isn't the Superman reveal. He isn't Superman until that moment when he flies from the Black Zero to save Lois, confront Zod and save humanity. That is the moment of choice, that is when Superman is born.

It was kinda jarring how during the final battle between Zod and Superman there seemed to be two versions of Metropolis, one that was a basically smoking ruin not unlike Hiroshima, and another one that seemed completely intact and cut off from the chaos that was currently going on.
Metropolis is big, big city like Gotham. Superman stopped the [BLACKOUT]World Engine [/BLACKOUT]in time to save a lot of the city, if not the vast majority of it.

But that is the thing, it isn't the Superman reveal. He isn't Superman until that moment when he flies from the Black Zero to save Lois, confront Zo and save humanity. That is the moment of choice, that is when Superman is born.

I disagree with that, but it could be taken that way.

If there is one.

Yeah. I know people don't like this movie, but the elements are there for a superior sequel (in my opinion.) I reeeeeeally hope we don't get "Superman Returns"-ed again.

If this movie really fails, I'm gonna have to finally resign myself to the fact that the only DC movies I will see for the rest of my life will be Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman, and Batman.

You know, at least it's not almost universally panned like GL was...even though I thought it was mediocre, there do seem to be people here who genuinely loved it. I though there were good ides but bad execution. But I'm glad for those especially who felt like they kept the faith waiting for so long and really did like it. I'm going to leave it that for now because I need to sleep. So like it, hate it, and everywhere in between...Superman is at least back up on the big screen.

I disagree with that, but it could be taken that way.
When he walks out of the scout ship, he doesn't even know what he is going to do. Heck, first thing he does is go and see his mother. Still not even sure if he should reveal himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"