TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 7

I'm probably going to seem like an idiot here, but can you or anyone explain to me what pacing means, in regards to movies? I've never really had a clear understanding of what it meant.

Lol! I'd like to better understand what this means too. On second thought I should see the movie first and see if I can figure this out for myself

It's funny, most everybody said this would wipe SR from the map and make people forget about the Donner films. It doesn't. It has a place among them for sure, but it's not that home run people thought.

If anything I'd say it's a solid double with the runner caught in the middle of a run down between 2nd and 3rd base. This batter shows potential tho.

Ha. I forgot about that. That was very pointless.

Indeed. They could have very well just talked in the real world. lol

- Jow

At the end of the film, Superman does something to General Zod, and then
Superman starts crying and is comforted by Lois.
I could not believe a Superman film was ending this way. The whole final act is action packed, but so, so dour.

For anyone whose seen it, is there anything
spider-ish
in the third act?

You pretty much summed it up perfectly.

IMO, if anything, this movie made me realize why STM is so revered. And its not out of a sense of nostalgia.

It's amazing that STM is still not going anywhere, after all these years.

Snyder just isn't a great director.. We all knew it when he got the job and had hope but he can't tell a story.. He just knows visuals..

I think he does a solid job with MOS, but you're right, he's not great. It's evident in the pacing, the way the film was cut and balances is odd. The emotional and physical story arc's don't intersect or intertwine, they flat out create two different films instead.

If anything I'd say it's a solid double with the runner caught in the middle of a run down between 2nd and 3rd base. This batter shows potential tho.

I can be on board with that.

Indeed. They could have very well just talked in the real world. lol

- Jow

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of that scene is. It's odd...

I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's amazing that STM is still not going anywhere, after all these years.

I'm surprised folks expected it to go anywhere. While there are things about it I don't favor, it's still the father of all superhero films and set a lot of elements that each film has used. I know friends who don't like it because of the camp, but they respect its place.

I'm surprised folks expected it to go anywhere. While there are things about it I don't favor, it's still the father of all superhero films and set a lot of elements that each film has used. I know friends who don't like it because of the camp, but they respect its place.

Absolutely, and it's still is responsible for what Man Of Steel is.

[BLACKOUT]The thing he fights for is sort of like a spiderpus [/BLACKOUT]

I guess. I'm not really sure what I'd call that thing. I just wish Superman had spent more time saving people than fighting that thing.

Actually, and I meant to rip on this in my review, but there sort of is.

I never felt like SR was on the map. It did nothing for me. I had hoped that it would be something to build on but it failed. I saw no bright spots in SR and still don't. Singer was living in the Donner age and acts like Donners movie is scripture. It was a critic favorite because they too cant get beyond 1978. MOS is what Superman should be. Does it have flaws? Yes but what movie doesnt. I applaud Snyder for giving the fans what we wanted. I look forward to MOS 2

Its a classic.

Superman TM
Godfather 1 and 2
Scarface (hated by critics at first but now is very popular)

It's a great film, though very dated. But if you remade it with modern tech, it would still feel dated. That film would bomb if released today. We only love it because we grew up with it.

I know guys in their 20s that think it is horrible and they like comics. Of course I don't think the Kirk Alyn serials are lame either, but they are even campier than STM and have very little tech behind them. Younger generations look at STM the same way.

I can be on board with that.

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of that scene is. It's odd...

It's just Zod pitching his plan to Superman with an accompanying acid trip visual presentation. lol

- Jow

^ S:TM is a classic, pure and simple. If MOS doesn't top it, it's because it would be hard to top the sense of wonder and optimistic excitement. If it does top it, it took about 35 years to do so, and that would be by the fanbase and audiences, not the critics and journalists in general.

STM boasted great visuals for it's time but was very much a vehicle that allowed Chris Reeve to shine. Donner made sure Chris shined. MOS seems to have let the mayhem and chaos outshine it's Superman..

Absolutely, and it's still is responsible for what Man Of Steel is.

That's another thing that bugged me. All these fans wanting a change while supporting a movie that basically had its DNA encoded with STM and SII.

I don't think the general public is as attached to the Reeve films as fans take for granted.

If anything they're attached to Reeve himself and the Williams theme.

And especially among the younger folks, that's more due to pop culture absorption than actually watching the movies. For actual Superman exposure it's more about Smallville and cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"