TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to quell my own fears...is this shot confirmed to be in the film?

i0TvBktkmEKIK.gif

It is.

Minus combo breaker :(

7.75/10.

They'll do better when they don't have such a chip on their shoulders.

Comparisons, so you get a fell for what I like:

Superman 78: 8.5/10
Superman II Donner Cut: 9/10

Superman Returns: 6/10

Batman Begins: 7.5/10
The Dark Knight: 7.75/10
The Dark Knight Rises: 5.5/10

That's good enough for me. Since I haven't seen the first 2 Superman movies, and am going into this hoping that it launches the DC universe.

So many spoilers, so hard not to click.

@William, welcome to the hype. Hope you remain even after the events of this movie dies down.

7.75/10.

They'll do better when they don't have such a chip on their shoulders.

Comparisons, so you get a fell for what I like:

Superman 78: 8.5/10
Superman II Donner Cut: 9/10

Superman Returns: 6/10

Batman Begins: 7.5/10
The Dark Knight: 7.75/10
The Dark Knight Rises: 5.5/10

If those scores dont tell you something nothint will. I knew you were a huge donner movie fan william and i was right. Its just nostalgia, you will love mos more later

Very cool of you William. :up:

About how long into the film do we finally see Clark in the suit?

Does it feel like it takes an eternity to get there?

Last one from me: is Lex mentioned beyond the Lexcorp building cameo?

40 minutes (?) It doesn't wait too long.

LexCorp is also on a bunch of tankers

If those scores dont tell you something nothint will. I knew you were a huge donner movie fan william and i was right. Its just nostalgia, you will love mos more later

It isn't just nostalgia. They were very well made as films and popcorn adventures featuring top shelf acting and surprising depth in the scripts. There scenes in both that make me tear up and only Casablanca can do that otherwise. They are fantastic movies, which is why I think they get slammed by protective fans to make sure that this new movie gets it's own identity.

why such a lower score though, William?
can you share that without giving away spoilers?

Thanks for all the info William.

Two questions.. How does Faora die? And who do they set up as the villain for the next movie?(if they do so)

William, is there good chemistry between amy and henry. is there still classic superman/clark and lois banter?
who suggests he join the planet and adopt a 'mild mannered' persona?

cheers

maybe it was asked/answered, maybe not. Is there a actual
Lex cameo?

William,

Does Krypton feel like a believable lived-in world or a greenscreen sterile set (ala Star Wars Prequels)?

It isn't just nostalgia. They were very well made as films and popcorn adventures featuring top shelf acting and surprising depth in the scripts. There scenes in both that make me tear up and only Casablanca can do that otherwise. They are fantastic movies, which is why I think they get slammed by protective fans to make sure that this new movie gets it's own identity.

I agree they were great films for their times but if you made Superman like that in this time with the charm of the 70s and 80s it would be not that well received. the whole scripting nature and more reliance on the physical aspects plus the different screenwriting style has completely changed the way movies are presented. Superman has a very limit window of how to present Origins they couldnt have moved the goal posts so much farther could they?

why such a lower score though, William?
can you share that without giving away spoilers?

Guys, 7.75/10 is a high score. It's what I would score movies like KEY LARGO or THE FIVE DEADLY VENOMS or SHANE. It's not an all time classic, but it has multiple things to recommend it and is a well made product of it's system.

The Donner Superman movies are truly special films that reward careful re watching and hit the emotions at multiple levels. They touch me.

Any more and it threatens to derail this thread.

A 7 borders on great so I don't see why people are trying to get bent out of shape for.

Guys, 7.75/10 is a high score. It's what I would score movies like KEY LARGO or THE FIVE DEADLY VENOMS or SHANE. It's not an all time classic, but it has multiple things to recommend it and is a well made product of it's system.

The Donner Superman movies are truly special films that reward careful re watching and hit the emotions at multiple levels. They touch me.

you are right though the true expansion of characters and how different they can be from donners universe can be really potrayed once the origin is done, so MoS2

I agree they were great films for their times but if you made Superman like that in this time with the charm of the 70s and 80s it would be not that well received. the whole scripting nature and more reliance on the physical aspects plus the different screenwriting style has completely changed the way movies are presented. Superman has a very limit window of how to present Origins they couldnt have moved the goal posts so much farther could they?
Yeah, I totally disagree with this. I'm on William's side. Great movies are great movies, period. The screenwriting style in the Donner film isn't any different than today. In fact, modern comicbook films are directly inspired by the 78 film. If the movie were released today with the same script, actors, and shots, but with updated effects, it would still be huge hit. Maybe certain members of the ADD generation wouldn't be able to sit through it, but it was positively dominate critically.

Thanks for all the info William.

Two questions.. How does Faora die? And who do they set up as the villain for the next movie?(if they do so)

In the singularity at the end. It becomes a wonderful moment of poetic justice. She is the most evil villain I've seen in a comic book. She just enjoys killing for its own sake man.

They set up NO ONE. Unless you count all the times LexCorp's logo is around

GUYS! It's his opinion! And he's probably the only guy who's seen the film!

If he gets more out of the classic films than you guys do, maybe it means that he's developed an appreciation for the nuances of the older movies.

A 7 borders on great so I don't see why people are trying to get bent out of shape for.

im not bent out of shape or anything, and i still think STM was a very good movie... im just curious as to why you gave ST a higher score over MOS... are there certain aspects of the movie that you found undesirable, or is it based on a more perspective of sentimentality?

Hey, William. You're so lucky to have seen the movie already, and you're so nice to tell people about it. Would you mind answering a few questions of mine?

1. Lana: How would you describe Lana Lang in the movie? Is she anything like her comic book or TV counterpart? What happens between her and Clark and where does she go after their teen years?
  2. Lara: Jor-El gets a lot of attention in the promotional material for the movie, but Lara not so much. Does she have a moment where we get to see her as a strong individual outside of her maternal role?
  3. Martha: This kind of relates to my question about Lara. Do Clark's mothers (Lara and Martha) get shortchanged in this movie in favor of the fathers? What would you say is the most significant moment or contribution these mothers make to their son and to the film as a whole?
  4. Lois: I read your review and you say that Lois had very little to do. I'm curious what made you feel that way, because I've read some others saying something similar, and as a fan of strong female characters what you said worries me a lot. What do you think would have made Lois Lane's role better in terms of her role as an individual and as part of the Superman/Lois romance? Does she ever call Clark "Smallville" like she does in other mediums? Do we learn anything about her background (army brat?)
  5. Clark: How can Clark just get a reporter job at The Daily Planet at the end? Does he study journalism in college or is there any foundation laid in the film to explain his interest and ability in the journalism field?
  6. Other: Sorry if this has been asked, but is Wonder Woman referenced in any way in the movie?

Thank you!

William, is there good chemistry between amy and henry. is there still classic superman/clark and lois banter?
who suggests he join the planet and adopt a 'mild mannered' persona?

cheers

There is great chemistry but no time for them to take together that isn't filled with impending doom. No classic banter. It was deeply missed. It's his idea, but it's implied that Lois greased the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"