TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no mid or post credit scene. Didn't stop my entire audience from staying till the "Peters Production" and "Warner Bros." logo came up at the end.

This might sound daft but I'm glad there's no post credits scene, that's Marvel's thing leave it with them. I'd rather the films concentrate in the characters at hand, I font mind little nods but I don't want Batman showing up saying Clark I need your help or something.

Can you imagine the relief that Brian Singer is feeling right now? Lol that dude must feel like it's Christmas right about now.

Yeah, tears of joy when Snyder's Man of Steel smash's June BO record! Singer played it SAFE. Nostalgia. Snyder went for it. Has balls. I applaud that! Controversy with critics with this new Superman. No worries, most GA love him, setting him up for great things for MOS2.

Yeah, tears of joy when Snyder's Man of Steel smash's June BO record! Singer played it SAFE. Nostalgia. Snyder went for it. Has balls. I applaud that! Controversy with critics with this new Superman. No worries, most GA love him, setting him up for great things for MOS2.

And that's the attitude we should all have :)

qUV07.gif

Nice attitude.

You will give the people of SHH! an ideal to strive toward. They will stumble, they will check Rotten Tomatoes, they will melt down. But in the end, they will join you in buying the Blu Ray.

You know, i'm starting to get less and less worried the more I read, because I think the reasons critics don't like this film may very well be the reasons I am going to love it.

I mean, one of the things I love the most about Superman and the DC universe in general, is that you have completely over the top level of threats, huge action, huge super powers etc... combined with deep mythologies, serious stories and complicated moral characters. It's not making light of the genre, being 'kiddie' with it as though that's all comics can be.

I don't want a Superman film that's more 'fun' like Avengers.

I don't want a Superman film that's more 'grounded' like TDK.

I want something that is, from the sounds of things, exactly what we've got.

Perfectly said.

Judging from some of the negative reviews, it sounds like this is a film that doesn't hold your hand and tell you what to think and feel. Maybe the characterization felt rushed to those select critics because they didn't have the keen sense to read between the lines. Maybe an image of Clark submersed in water, completely isolated from the world leaves too much to the imagination and doesn't spoon feed you enough about what's actually going on in his head. Sounds like they prefer the Iron Man 3 approach where things are told and not shown, where characters have to tell the audience how they feel because they don't want the movie to go over anyone's head. "I can't stop thinking about New York! I'm depressed! I can't sleep! Every time someone even mentions New York I plummet into an obvious and transparent nausea so that the audience can see I'm not doing well! Can't you see how stressed I am? I'm not sleeping! And Pepper! Oh how I love you Pepper! You mean the world to me! I don't know if it's worth being Iron Man if I can't have you by my side!"

I for one am excited to hear that some critics thought it was too heavy. Actually that pleases me like you wouldn't believe. I'm glad that people with visions of Christopher Reeve left the theater empty and confused. Like Hopefuldreamer said, this isn't a Marvel movie. This isn't a fun flick that aims to please all viewers of all ages and demographics. This movie is about a character that goes through a great spiritual exploration. And what boggles me even more is that one of the biggest complaints from critics both about both The Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3 is that they spent too much time with the main character not in the suit. Too much Bruce, not enough Batman. Too much Tony, not enough Iron Man. And yet from the sound of it, Man Of Steel features the biggest and greatest action set piece in the history of the genre... and somehow this is a bad thing. Personally I'm glad the film gives time both to Clark's journey of becoming Superman and also him being Superman.

Everything I've seen and heard leads me to believe this is going to be an amazing, amazing film. I'll know for sure at midnight this evening. But maybe the dialogue in the trailer was right all along. Maybe the world... wasn't ready.

You will give the people of SHH! an ideal to strive toward. They will stumble, they will check Rotten Tomatoes, they will melt down. But in the end, they will join you in buying the Blu Ray.

Fixed! You did miss the word give out :cwink:

But man that was funny :woot:

If you were trying to make a signature-worthy post, you did it, buddy.

Perfectly said.

Judging from some of the negative reviews, it sounds like this is a film that doesn't hold your hand and tell you what to think and feel. Maybe the characterization felt rushed to those select critics because they didn't have the keen sense to read between the lines. Maybe an image of Clark submersed in water, completely isolated from the world leaves too much to the imagination and doesn't spoon feed you enough about what's actually going on in his head. Sounds like they prefer the Iron Man 3 approach where things are told and not shown, where characters have to tell the audience how they feel because they don't want the movie to go over anyone's head. "I can't stop thinking about New York! I'm depressed! I can't sleep! Every time someone even mentions New York I plummet into an obvious and transparent nausea so that the audience can see I'm not doing well! Can't you see how stressed I am? I'm not sleeping! And Pepper! Oh how I love you Pepper! You mean the world to me! I don't know if it's worth being Iron Man if I can't have you by my side!"

I for one am excited to hear that some critics thought it was too heavy. Actually that pleases me like you wouldn't believe. I'm glad that people with visions of Christopher Reeve left the theater empty and confused. Like Hopefuldreamer said, this isn't a Marvel movie. This isn't a fun flick that aims to please all viewers of all ages and demographics. This movie is about a character that goes through a great spiritual exploration. And what boggles me even more is that one of the biggest complaints from critics both about both The Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3 is that they spent too much time with the main character not in the suit. Too much Bruce, not enough Batman. Too much Tony, not enough Iron Man. And yet from the sound of it, Man Of Steel features the biggest and greatest action set piece in the history of the genre... and somehow this is a bad thing. Personally I'm glad the film gives time both to Clark's journey of becoming Superman and also him being Superman.

Everything I've seen and heard leads me to believe this is going to be an amazing, amazing film. I'll know for sure at midnight this evening. But maybe the dialogue in the trailer was right all along. Maybe the world... wasn't ready.

And how refreshing is that? Tbh the way it's split opinion is quite interesting, cannot wait to see this.

This is what I'm saying. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder and his team expected this film to get some of the negative reaction it did. That's not the sign of a bad filmmaker. That's the sign of an artist.

From Jett over at Batman On Film, who has seen the film three times:

"Don't let the negative MOS reviews bother or keep you from going to see it. Quite frankly, most of the bad reviews are from mainstream "uppity" film critics who 1) Don't like Zack Snyder, 2) Have an agenda against Chris Nolan because he was their "indie darling" who had the nerve to make Batman films, and 3) they still do not respect superhero cinema and fans of the genre. Sadly, I thought 'THE DARK KNIGHT' changed all that, but it hasn't. It seems if a comic book film is "serious" and isn't popcorn fluff, then it "sucks." Wow."

Perfectly said.

Judging from some of the negative reviews, it sounds like this is a film that doesn't hold your hand and tell you what to think and feel. Maybe the characterization felt rushed to those select critics because they didn't have the keen sense to read between the lines.

:whatever:

I find it funny how, due to mixed reviews of Man of Steel, critics now are morons who can't read between the lines. :doh:

Actually, many reviewers stated how the movie relies too heavily on exposition, and the need to repeatedly spell everything out (and then again, and once again), instead of just showing things.

:whatever:

I find it funny how, due to mixed reviews of Man of Steel, critics now are morons who can't read between the lines. :doh:

Actually, many reviewers stated how the movie relies too heavily on exposition, and the need to repeatedly spell everything out (and then again, and once again), instead of just showing things.

I find it very hard to believe that a story by Goyer on a Christopher Nolan production relies on exposition.

"Don't let the negative MOS reviews bother or keep you from going to see it. Quite frankly, most of the bad reviews are from mainstream "uppity" film critics who 1) Don't like Zack Snyder, 2) Have an agenda against Chris Nolan because he was their "indie darling" who had the nerve to make Batman films, and 3) they still do not respect superhero cinema and fans of the genre. Sadly, I thought 'THE DARK KNIGHT' changed all that, but it hasn't. It seems if a comic book film is "serious" and isn't popcorn fluff, then it "sucks." Wow."

:up:

Other reviews said the storytelling was fine, even tight. So let's just watch it for ourselves before making our minds up.

I loved this tweet from Man of Steel UK

Man of Steel is “Perfection." 5/5 @msnents - #MANOFSTEEL hits cinemas tomorrow. RT if you'll be watching pic.twitter.com/1HbMNmcg3T

Is the agenda against Nolan what made the Batman movies such critical success and why no movie he's directed has failed to become certified fresh?

Is the lack of respect for superhero cinema why almost all superhero movies get certified fresh? The Batman trilogy, all of the MCU (but TIH which is still fresh), all Spider-Man and X-Men movies (apart from #3 in both cases), etc.

I'm guessing that guy doesn't really know what he's talking about when it comes to the critics. I hope he's right about the movie though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"