Guardians of the Galaxy To Infinity and Beyond: The Thanos Thread - Part 1

No, the reason Tivan has the Aether is because, quite rightly, having both on Asgard is insane

The Tesseract and the Aether were both on Asgard, and the planet suffered no detrimental effects (other than the usual battles for ownership of said artifacts). The Aether and the Orb were both on Knowhere, and nothing bad happened, other than Carina spazzing out and kamikazeing herself.

The comment about "having two Infinity Stones in the same place is a bad idea" is just subterfuge --- a lie, invented by Loki, as an excuse to throw off suspicion on the part of Sif and Volstagg.

Aasgard Loki is the one who said it was not wise to have them close.... the collector has his own agenda

The order to give the Aether to Tivan *had* to come from "Odin." Who is, in fact, Loki, as we well know. Ergo: see above. Loki was lying.

And who here honestly believes that Loki --- Loki, by god --- would willingly throw away that kind of power, out of some sense of "doing the right thing"? Loki would keep both of the Stones, and gleefully abuse the hell out of them.

So the TDW scene *only* makes sense once you realize that Loki is *bargaining* with Tivan. The Aether, in exchange for keeping The Tesseract. And *that,* my friends, *only* makes sense if Loki knows Tivan is an agent of Thanos. "Let's call a truce, Thanos, and I'll let you have the Aether instead of the Tesseract. Deal?"

Ronan and Tivan.

It was Tivan who hired the Broker who then hired the Ravagers and Quill.

Meanwhile Thanos hired Ronan who then had Korath go after the orb and end up fighting with Quill over it.

It makes no sense for Thanos to be behind both of these groups.

lolwut

*The Broker* hired Quill to find a lost Orb that was worth 20,000 credits. *The Collector* offered 4 billion to Gamora for the same Orb. The Broker was *not* working for Tivan. The Broker was just a small-time fence, and Yondu's pirate crew (including Quill) were his regular customers.

If groups like the Nova Corps or Asgard found out someone was trying to gather the Stones they would stop him.

He is not all powerful yet so he needs to be discreet.

Nova Corps and Asgard *do* know Thanos is gathering Stones, after the events of The Avengers and GOTG. If Thanos was trying to be discreet, he failed spectacularly.

Broseph is right. Why bother gathering the stones when he can just get his servants/lackeys to do it for him.

Maybe because those servants/lackeys fail their mission at every turn, and betray Thanos at every turn....? Could be a pretty good argument against delegating authority.

The more likely reason that Thanos doesn't get his hands dirty himself is because he physically *can't.* There's probably some sort of cosmo-magic mumbo-jumbo that prevents him from physically touching the Stones. Ergo: he needs a handy-dandy Gauntlet for protection from their assembled power.

The more likely reason that Thanos doesn't get his hands dirty himself is because he physically *can't.* There's probably some sort of cosmo-magic mumbo-jumbo that prevents him from physically touching the Stones. Ergo: he needs a handy-dandy Gauntlet for protection from their assembled power.

A Gauntlet that, like the Stones, he has to get his hands on first since it's currently on Asgard.

The Guardians probably know. Gamora almost certainly told them. Now whether they share this info with the Nova Corps is unclear at this point. And Thor asking Loki who he was working with doesn't preclude him from knowing who Thanos is. It could have been a case of Thor actually meaning "who are you working with, please tell me that you weren't crazy enough to ally with HIM of all people." Thor already knew who the Chitauri were when he joined the Avengers. Personally, I don't think that Thor knows who Thanos is, but it's quite possible that Odin does, however it's not completely impossible that Thor does know. We don't have enough information about it one way or the other yet.

I think Thor knows. And it wouldn't surprise me if it's revealed that Odin and Thanos have crossed paths before.

I don't think the Collector is working with Thanos at all.

Why would he buy the orb from Gamora, who was betraying Thanos, if he was working for him? I honestly believe he is a neutral party in all matters and is only trying to collect these various rare artifacts. Not for power, but for the pure thrill of the collecting.

Loki probably gave him the Aether as to not house two stones and draw attention to his secret over throw of the Throne. I doubt Loki is still trying to work with Thanos and complete his own scemes at the same time.

Thanos is essentially sitting back, biding his time, and letting all the idiots around the cosmos do his jobs for him. He already certainly knows where two of the stones are (asgard and xandar) and is probably aware of the collector as well in some capacity after all the chaos that went on there.

It will be fun to see how he gathers the stones, why he decides to do it, how the Avengers find out, if he targets earth specifically, where will he show up again. All that stuff

I imagine the next guardians film will be dealing directly with Thanos, by then we can hopefully have all or at least 5 of the stones introduced. Have him trecking across the galaxy going from Xandar to Asgard to Knowwhere, and wherever else the stones may lie, with the guardians behind him following his destruction. Maybe theyll stop by and chat up Thor meet Nova and whatever other cool stuff is lieing out there.

A Gauntlet that, like the Stones, he has to get his hands on first since it's currently on Asgard.

That remains to be seen. Yes, it was famously seen in a deleted scene in Thor, but that's also been famously said to be retconned post-Avengers. I'd like to know whether or not the Gauntlet in the Vault *is* considered canon these days, but for now, we can't assume that. Especially when that would mean that the Gauntlet came *before* the Stones were assembled, which would be reverse engineering.

You should watch the movie again because you obviously weren't paying attention.

It was stated on at least 3 separate occasions that the Broker is getting the Orb for someone else. That is after all why hes called..... A BROKER.

And when Yondu asked him who the buyer was it immediately cut to The Collector.

This was made very clear.

He probably made a separate deal with Gamora just in case the other one failed.

Yondu was asking The Broker who GAMORA'S buyer was, not The Broker's. After the Kyln breakout, word probably spread pretty quickly among the criminal underworld (including Yondu and The Broker) that the Guardians had absconded with a treasure worth 4 billion credits.

And what sense would it make for Tivan to offer 20,000 credits to Quill for the Orb, then turn right around and up the price to 4 bill for Gamora...? Those were two separate offers, from The Broker (who had no idea The Orb was actually a Stone) and The Collector (who was well aware that The Orb was actually a Stone).

Nobody knew anything after the events of The Avengers. The scene with Thanos was only shown to us the audience not to anyone on Asgard.

Thor even asked Loki who was behind the plan and he didn't answer.

He didn't answer Thor; but he sure as hell would've had to answer to Odin when he went to trial. Who damn well would want to know who Loki was working with, and, as others have pointed out, may well have history with Thanos.

The Nova Corps know who Thanos is and they know he is working with Ronan but they may or may not know what his plan is. This wasn't explicit and future writers can go either way with it.

The Corps know Thanos was after the Power Stone, because Quill told them explicitly. And they even got a full-scale demo of its power on their literal front doorstep.

The Tesseract and the Aether were both on Asgard, and the planet suffered no detrimental effects (other than the usual battles for ownership of said artifacts). The Aether and the Orb were both on Knowhere, and nothing bad happened, other than Carina spazzing out and kamikazeing herself.

The comment about "having two Infinity Stones in the same place is a bad idea" is just subterfuge --- a lie, invented by Loki, as an excuse to throw off suspicion on the part of Sif and Volstagg.

The order to give the Aether to Tivan *had* to come from "Odin." Who is, in fact, Loki, as we well know. Ergo: see above. Loki was lying.

And who here honestly believes that Loki --- Loki, by god --- would willingly throw away that kind of power, out of some sense of "doing the right thing"? Loki would keep both of the Stones, and gleefully abuse the hell out of them.

So the TDW scene *only* makes sense once you realize that Loki is *bargaining* with Tivan. The Aether, in exchange for keeping The Tesseract. And *that,* my friends, *only* makes sense if Loki knows Tivan is an agent of Thanos. "Let's call a truce, Thanos, and I'll let you have the Aether instead of the Tesseract. Deal?"

lolwut

*The Broker* hired Quill to find a lost Orb that was worth 20,000 credits. *The Collector* offered 4 billion to Gamora for the same Orb. The Broker was *not* working for Tivan. The Broker was just a small-time fence, and Yondu's pirate crew (including Quill) were his regular customers.

Nova Corps and Asgard *do* know Thanos is gathering Stones, after the events of The Avengers and GOTG. If Thanos was trying to be discreet, he failed spectacularly.

Maybe because those servants/lackeys fail their mission at every turn, and betray Thanos at every turn....? Could be a pretty good argument against delegating authority.

The reason having two stones close isn't because it would cause some kind of disaster it's because if someone is trying to collect them...making it easier to collect or letting someone wield two stones even is a bad idea... it's kinda obvious sam... like Thanos not being collector obvious

The broker was buying the orb on the cheap so he could sell it to the collector at a much higher price sam

@cherokeesam: How was the Guantlet being in Odin's vault invalidated post-The Avengers?

@cherokeesam: How was the Guantlet being in Odin's vault invalidated post-The Avengers?

Because the gauntlet from the Thor scene had stones in them yet...and the stones aren't assembled yet. That was more just an easter egg or a nod than actual continuity

^ No, it didn't.

Kevin Feige has already confirmed that the Guantlet is on Asgard, so, again, I ask how its presence was invalidated post-The Avengers.

Because the gauntlet from the Thor scene had stones in them yet...and the stones aren't assembled yet. That was more just an easter egg or a nod than actual continuity

As I've said many times before. I assume the gauntlet in the vault on Asgard has placeholders for the stones. We've seen what the actual stones look like now thanks to guardians. The stones stay within the artifacts. Like the orb, tesseract and Aether. The real stone and power is in those artifacts. So the "stones" you see on the gauntlet aren't the infinity stones. I think those are just the placeholders for the stones themselves.

Once you collect all the stones you then use them to put their power into those placeholders on the glove to activate the gauntlet. And viola, it makes sense if you think about it. That way it's not just an Easter egg or a nod, it part of the story and an explanation that I think works and makes sense.

lots to clear up it seems. first the gauntlet was shown in the actual movie thor. it was when the frost giants are running from the destroyer armor that is obliterating them.

as far as that gauntlet being real, i think it is. here are 2 reasons.
1. thanos seen in the avengers post credit clearly shows a bare hand.
2. thanos in the guardians of the galaxy is not wearing gauntlets.
if you know the infinity gauntlet story and most here do then you know thanos put the gems on his own gauntlet or glove he was wearing at the time. it just as easily could have been the infinity helm or boot, but no he put the gems on his own gauntlet.

the gotg thanos we see clearly has no gauntlet on thanos. so where are his gloves? what will he put the stones on? it seems he will wear no gloves except the 1 gauntlet when he acquires it, from asgard. and yes the stones in that gauntlet are fake, or maybe 1 is real now. either way they are as some said, just place-holders.

now this is where it gets a bit tricky. the gauntlet is supposed to be left-handed. and as a lefty it sucks that it now appears to be a right handed one. so you might think it is a fake, but the comic con replica and the one in thor 1 are both right handed. also when we see thanos' s bare hand in avengers it is his right hand. referencing the new right handed gauntlet we saw in thor. also since this is a different universe from the comics, the gauntlet can be right handed, even though i will miss the left-handed one.

so now thanos will wield a right handed gauntlet and nothing on his other hand. i guess this will give more attention to the gauntlet. since now when anyone wields the infinity gauntlet they only have the one gauntlet.

the real question we should be asking is this. if the gauntlet in asgard is real then whose was it? did thanos try to gather the gems before? thanos has a new look from the comics, and the gauntlet is clearly different as well. the gauntlet in the movie seems to match thanos and his new armor style. so again where and when did asgard acquire that gauntlet?

i can't wait to find out.

^ Just because they smash-cut to The Collector doesn't mean he was the person the Xandarian Broker was specifically referring to.

Also, note that the Broker himself used the PLURAL of the word 'buyer' in the scene with Yondu (who used the singular form of the word).

Last edited:
Yes it does. That's the language of cinema. When a character asks a question like that and it immediately cuts to someone else that is the movie's way of answering the question.

Not when the question could just be answered through dialogue.

It wouldn't make much sense to ask that question and then never answer it for the audience.

Actually, it would.

Because the Xandarian Broker used the plural of the word, he could have been talking about any number of interested parties even though Yondu clearly thought he was talking about a specific person.

^ The Broker is being vague, while Yondu is not, but the Broker never actually confirms that there's one specific person to whom he would've sold the Orb had Quill actually managed to fulfill their original agreement.

You've taken a vague inference and interpreted it as being specific when, based on the contents of the scene itself, there is no indication that it's meant to have that level of specificity applied to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"