Supergirl Tyler Hoechlin IS Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this beauty on Twitter.

ClHT11zWQAAoJid.jpg

I've only seen him in Teen Wolf and never got a single Superman vibe. That character was stoic and serious, so there was never an opportunity to show charisma and charm lol.

Hopefully he is a good actor and we don't get a psycho looking Superman lol.

For the Teen Wolf fans here, anyone want Tyler Posey as Conner Kent/Superboy?

I've only seen him in Teen Wolf and never got a single Superman vibe. That character was stoic and serious, so there was never an opportunity to show charisma and charm lol.

Hopefully he is a good actor and we don't get a psycho looking Superman lol.

The Derek character reminds me of Amell's Oliver Queen whenever he crosses over to "Flash." All business without a hint of fun.

I honestly don't know what to think. Unlike others this show has let me down from the start and the cast is a big part of it.

The show failed for me because of its abuse of dumb clichés, artificial emotions from actors, juvenile dialogue (fully grown adults calling people mean and bad while being deadly serious is unforgivable), and some irritating characters (Cat Grant).

I knew it was not going to be Welling, Berlanti always casts different actors for these roles. On Tyler, I have seen him on Teen Wolf, but I think he's wrong for Superman, he doesn't have the charisma the character needs. He has more of a bad boy face, not a coincidence his character on Teen Wolf was the brooding, antihero type, he fits more for Zod when you think of it. It reminds me of when Joe Manganiello was being rumored for Superman in MOS, he would've been wrong too, you don't cast a guy that looks more like Zod than Supes, but that's how crazy Hollywood people are sometimes.

Matt Bomer would've been a better choice IMO, he's 38, closer to the age of Superman on the show, is a better actor and has the perfect heroe face, with that touch of innocence like Reeve and Cavill.

For the Teen Wolf fans here, anyone want Tyler Posey as Conner Kent/Superboy?

Nope... The funny thing is, they have Superboy (kind of), Dylan Sprayberry played teen Clark on MOS, but he's too short, he's only 5'5".

Character ages for Supergirl:
Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers: 24
Alexandra "Alex" Danvers: 26
James Olsen: 32 or 33
Kal-El/Clark Kent: 35 or 36

Hoechlin IS admittedly a much younger actor than I expected them to go after, but Rappaport Casting and these writers/producers haven't let me down yet, so I'm not going to 'pooh-pooh' this casting too much.

Alex Danvers is supposed to be 26?

I never really realized she was that young because Chyler Leigh is 34 years old and looks her age.

Arguably, a traditional/nostalgic interpretation of Superman (square, boy scout, Dudley Do-Right, etc.) might be offered as contrast to the dark/“controversial” cinematic version. But as philosophically appealing as this might be, it’s not too demanding at the dramatic level. I.e., an actor who can manage a heroically stalwart line reading (“Stand back citizens!”) and a friendly smile probably rates a screen test. :word: Moreover, there may have been some consideration towards not outshining Benoist in terms of thespian skills and/or fame. Thus, a relative unknown like Hoechlin fills the bill. :cwink:

I'm not really worried about age. It's much easier to age someone on screen than to de-age them. Plus, Clark doesn't age as quickly as humans.

In tellings like Batman Beyond and Kingdom Come he's basically just got grey temples while another generation of heroes is out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's mid thirties and is still barely showing his age.

Whether he can look imposing enough to be Superman. That's yet to be seen.

I've never seen him act before. The most important thing is for him to have some charisma and screen presence. That's all I ask.

They should have a pic of him and Kara for SDCC.

I wodner if they're announcing now so they can create a buzz at ComicCon - pictures/panel appearances/clips

Also if the opening 2 parter works I guess The CW will want to get Superman into the other shows and with the eventual Justice League?

This could lead to Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern etc

Last edited:
Character ages for Supergirl:
Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers: 24
Alexandra "Alex" Danvers: 26
James Olsen: 32 or 33
Kal-El/Clark Kent: 35 or 36

Hoechlin IS admittedly a much younger actor than I expected them to go after, but Rappaport Casting and these writers/producers haven't let me down yet, so I'm not going to 'pooh-pooh' this casting too much.

thats the start of season 1. Add a year to each of them

Alex Danvers is supposed to be 26?

I never really realized she was that young because Chyler Leigh is 34 years old and looks her age.

She's 2 years older than Kara. We see that in all the flashbacks of them as teens

I'm not really worried about age. It's much easier to age someone on screen than to de-age them. Plus, Clark doesn't age as quickly as humans.

In tellings like Batman Beyond and Kingdom Come he's basically just got grey temples while another generation of heroes is out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's mid thirties and is still barely showing his age.

Whether he can look imposing enough to be Superman. That's yet to be seen.
than what makes him different than Kara? They are the same species with related DNA. She came onto Earth looking like a 13 year old girl and looks like the 24 year old she was intended to be after aging in this universe in 11 years. She ages in real time but he doesnt? That doesnt make sense.

I think the only reason they cast young was to think of longevity, in case this series does go long, like say Smallville. They probably dont want someone in their 40s if this show does become successful and is around for a while

Last edited:
Clark and Kara both being Kryptonian doesn't really mean all that much as far as aging goes, because it doesn't in real life either.

Regarding adding one year to the characters' ages as of the Pilot, there's no indication that Supergirl Season 1 took place place over the course of a year, but even if it did, it's still not that simple due to not having set birthdates for the characters in question.

Regarding Chyler, I really don't think she looks her age at all, but the character is definitely 26 in-universe, and they intentionally went looking for people between the ages of 26-32 to fill the role way back when (which is why we saw Meghan Ory [then 32] submit an audition tape), ending up with Chyler (who was just outside that age range at the time she was cast).

Last edited:
Clark and Kara both being Kryptonian doesn't really mean all that much as far as aging goes, because it doesn't in real life either.

Regarding adding one year to the characters' ages as of the Pilot, there's no indication that Supergirl Season 1 took place place over the course of a year, but even if it did, it's still not that simple due to not having set birthdates for the characters in question.
true but if a year had passed between the pilot and season 2, then everyone will have aged a year regardless of when their birthdate is

In^ Only if their birthdays fall within the range of time the show's first season covered.

For example, if the show's in-universe timeline took us from October 2015-April 2016 (since most of these shows operate in real-TIME) and Kara's birthday is in August (by human reckoning), she wouldn't have aged during its events.

In^ Only if their birthdays fall within the range of time the show's first season covered.

For example, if the show's in-universe timeline took us from October 2015-April 2016 (since most of these shows operate in real-TIME) and Kara's birthday is in August (by human reckoning), she wouldn't have aged during its events.
Huh? A year is a year regardless. If Kara was said to be 24 bc of an August 2015 birthdate, she'd be 25 in season 2 again assuming the real time logic bc of an off screen Aug 2016 birthdate

^ Unless Season 2 starts immediately where Season 1 leaves off... in which case, going ny my example, Kara would still be 24'

^ Unless Season 2 starts immediately where Season 1 leaves off... in which case, going ny my example, Kara would still be 24'

You are the one that mentioned real time to make your example but just went back on that to make sense of your point. Okay...

I guess they won't be needing a muscle suit.:woot:

:up:

Colleen Atwood designed the first costumes for Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl. It wouldn't surprise me if CW hire her again to design Superman's latest costume.

Every male hero has a separate top and bottom suit on the CW. I wonder if they'll do the same for Supes. This will be the first REAL suit we'll see on tv since Lois and Clark back in the 90s. Without the budget, I'm very eager to see their design.

I don't think the Superman suit needs a massive budget. I don't really want it to be overdesigned like the MOS suit. I'd be quite happy with something similar to what Christopher Reeve wore. That's not difficult to make on a TV budget. I don't want a Superman Returns-style suit which has washed out red. And there's something a little off about Dean Cain's suit, although it wasn't bad.

@Havok: The shows TEND to operate in real-time, BUT there's nothing mandating that they HAVE TO... thus there is a possibility that we get Season 2 picking up immediately after Season 1. There's no contradiction here, merely an acknowledgment that said possibility exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"