Uncharted Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

It's not news, but I admit I (and I'm sure many others) can't help but notice the blonde woman treasure hunting without any title given the epilogue of 4. I remember rumours last year that another studio was going to be continuing the series, but no idea how reliable that is. Guess we'll see.

Ideally I want Uncharted from Naughty Dog but if that's not to be then I'll still take it from a different Sony studio. There were rumours of ND working on a new fantasy IP, the thought of which is an amazing prospect. I'd much prefer that or UC and TLOU III (probably as the final one in that series) rather than continued work (time wasted? :D ) on multiplayer stuff.

Sometimes I think you need to just move on. I think you've done all you can with Uncharted unless you do a time jump and make it about Elena and Nate's daughter.

I agree, but must also say how much I miss a game like Uncharted.
A chapter based adventure game, no open world bs, where you go to many different places to uncover a mystery.

I still remember getting the ps4 for the first time and Uncharted 4 was my first game in it!

Sometimes I think you need to just move on. I think you've done all you can with Uncharted unless you do a time jump and make it about Elena and Nate's daughter.

I agree, but must also say how much I miss a game like Uncharted.
A chapter based adventure game, no open world bs, where you go to many different places to uncover a mystery.
Yeah, I just love the style of game, the settings, the gameplay, the nonstop fun. :D It has a far different appeal to RPGs or other action games I play. Although the story and characters are top tier, I don’t need anything specific on that front, I’d trust in whatever they went with. So it’s something I miss a lot and although TLOU is amazing, it doesn’t scratch that itch at all.

I don’t understand the need for this remaster when they made one not to long ago but hey besides their IPs Sony is really great at remaking their classic games
Ugh. I'm gonna guess and say it's because it's less expensive to do remakes even if they are built from the ground up and on top of that, they don't really need to come up with new ideas for IPs because remakes are just rehashes of games that already exist

They went from being considered one of the greatest developers of all time to the #1 rehasher of re-releases this generation
They're still one of the greatest developers. I wouldn't even be bothered by it if they were mainly focusing their effort on, say, The Last of Us 3 and the remakes were more of a little side project for them.

Also to be fair, I do see the appeal in a remake of the first Uncharted since it's obviously the one that's aged the worst being a nearly 17 year old game that couldn't tap into the full potential of the PS3 like 2 and especially 3 would go on to do. If the remake of the first Uncharted sells well then of course they're going to try to do the same thing for the second and third games. It's an "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" situation.

Last edited:
They're still one of the greatest developers. I wouldn't even be bothered by it if they were mainly focusing their effort on, say, The Last of Us 3 and the remakes were more of a little side project for them.

Also to be fair, I do see the appeal in a remake of the first Uncharted since it's obviously the one that's aged the worst being a nearly 17 year old game that couldn't tap into the full potential of the PS3 like 2 and especially 3 would go on to do. If the remake of the first Uncharted sells well then of course they're going to try to do the same thing for the second and third games. It's an "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" situation.
I think they tainted their reputation a little bit with the original release of tlou2 on Ps4. Not from a technical feat, but from a storytelling one. And I'm not speaking for myself personally, I didn't even play tlou2 myself because I had my own displeasures with it (the lack of a multiplayer mode, which in and of itself was announced to be canceled 3 years later anyway)

This industry has grown so used to remakes and remasters that one for Uc1 might look like it makes sense, but to me it just comes across as Sony and ND just not having very many ideas and looking for another cash grab. There isn't any request or fan demand for a Uc1 rerelease, and it already happened once last generation in 2015 when the original trilogy got remastered.

The last time I remember a remake announced which was one that the community actually really wanted was Demon's Souls. That one in particular to me did actually make sense, but a lot of other re-releases lately don't.

I remember back when a remake of tlou1 for Ps5 was just a rumor, and I'm pretty sure the rumor was founded from an internal leak of Sony emails. Something that had to do with Days gone as well, actually. And my thought then was the same as it is now, after a remake of tlou1 for Ps5 became a reality:

Was anyone really asking for a remake of tlou1? Not really, not from what I can tell. Has the game already been re-released before? Yes it has, it was remastered for Ps4 in 2014. Does it come off as a cash grab? Yes, and a successful one at that. From what I remember, it released as the full price of a brand new game this generation and also had its own controversy for lack of content.

All three questions have the exact same answers for a rumored remake of Uc1. Does there seem to be a lot of fan demand for a remake of Uc1? No. Has it already been re-released? Yes. Does it come off as a cash grab? Yes. It comes off as a trend Sony is starting for themselves because of the success that was the tlou1 remake.

Last edited:
Uncharted 1 when i played it in the PS4, was showing its age compare to Uncharted 2 and 3.

But this is another remake (like TLOUP1) I don't need and don't have the urge to pay, simply because I have already the original in the PS4.

If Sony wants to remake games, they should go after the games that aren't playable in the PS4/5 in the first place. God of War, God of War II, PS2/3 Ratchet & Clank games, etc...

Uncharted 1 when i played it in the PS4, was showing its age compare to Uncharted 2 and 3.

But this is another remake (like TLOUP1) I don't need and don't have the urge to pay, simply because I have already the original in the PS4.

If Sony wants to remake games, they should go after the games that aren't playable in the PS4/5 in the first place. God of War, God of War II, PS2/3 Ratchet & Clank games, etc...
I don't think God of War needs a remake now because the way the series has progressed has been more successful than it ever was so they probably want to focus on the sequel to Ragnarok. Ratchet & Clank already had a remake in 2016, and they decided to continue series with the last consecutive release instead of a sequel to the remake; Rift Apart was a followup to Into the Nexus.

I think they tainted their reputation a little bit with the original release of tlou2 on Ps4. Not from a technical feat, but from a storytelling one. And I'm not speaking for myself personally, I didn't even play tlou2 myself because I had my own displeasures with it (the lack of a multiplayer mode, which in and of itself was announced to be canceled 3 years later anyway)

This industry has grown so used to remakes and remasters that one for Uc1 might look like it makes sense, but to me it just comes across as Sony and ND just not having very many ideas and looking for another cash grab
. There isn't any request or fan demand for a Uc1 rerelease, and it already happened once last generation in 2015 when the original trilogy got remastered.
And is that a problem? Its not so much that Sony does have any ideas (they do). Games take longer to make now and are far more costly too. A remaster/remake of an older game is low-stakes way to make money while they work on those newer ideas. ND has not had an original release since TLOU2 in 2020. They banked alot on the Factions spinoff game which now got cancelled. These remakes are a way to recoup the costs from that. There's nothing wrong with them going for cash grab bc they need to make money. These "cash grabs" keep people employed in an industry that is suffering massive job losses on a near weekly basis. Assuming this rumor is true, the work on this upcoming remake is giving developers something to do bc they most likly would have otherwise been fired. It doesnt really affect us as a gamer if we dont want it bc we can choose to just not buy it.

And is that a problem?
For a lot of people, yes, it is a problem. It shows a lack of creativity and new ideas.
Its not so much that Sony does have any ideas (they do).
Unless you work for Sony, I don't think you can presume to make assertions on how creative their vision is right now.
Games take longer to make now and are far more costly too.
I am aware of that.
A remaster/remake of an older game is low-stakes way to make money while they work on those newer ideas. ND has not had an original release since TLOU2 in 2020. They banked alot on the Factions spinoff game which now got cancelled. These remakes are a way to recoup the costs from that. There's nothing wrong with them going for cash grab bc they need to make money. These "cash grabs" keep people employed in an industry that is suffering massive job losses on a near weekly basis.
If you want to make excuses for these developers and platform holders working on nothing but cash grabs, then go right ahead. Naughty Dog has done nothing but rereleases this generation, long before mass layoffs have been taking place in the industry. As someone who once had the Uncharted series as one of my favorites, I am saying that ND making "cash grab" after "cash grab" is a disappointment in their offerings this generation. There is a reason why ND faced criticism for setting their rereleases at full price this generation too.
Assuming this rumor is true, the work on this upcoming remake is giving developers something to do bc they most likly would have otherwise been fired. It doesnt really affect us as a gamer if we dont want it bc we can choose to just not buy it.
You don't know that. Chances are, whoever is getting laid off would unfortunately be getting laid off anyway because the industry is that cutthroat. There has been a growing sentiment about this generation and the drought of new games that have been released, let alone announced and so far it just feels like an extension or a rehash of last generation and I know a lot of people particularly were disappointed to learn that Factions was canceled, so I absolutely disagree about it not affecting us.

wee-bey-dj-scene.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"