Underworld: Next Generation

Dark_Lord

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
The Lycans and vampires are back

Welcome back to Underworld.

Lakeshore Entertainment is moving forward with a reboot of the vampire action franchise, hiring Cory Goodman to write the script.

Lakeshore's Tom Rosenberg and Gary Lucchesi are producing.

The first Underworld film, directed by Len Wiseman and starring Kate Beckinsale, was released in 2003. Playing the strong vampire Selena made Beckinsale into a bankable action star, and three films followed in 2006 (Underworld: Evolution), 2009 (prequel Underworld: Rise of the Lycans) and 2012 (Underworld: Awakening).

Underworld: Awakening, the 3D film that saw Beckinsale reprise her role as Selene, was the top earner in the franchise, taking in $160 million worldwide. The vampires versus werewolves franchise has grossed $458.2 million worldwide.

Goodman wrote the script for the 2011 film Priest, starring Paul Bettany. He also penned the script for the upcoming Summit film The Last Witch Hunter starring Vin Diesel, which is currently in pre-production. He's repped by WME, Aperture Entertainment and Hansen, Jacobson.

TheHollywoodReporter.com

:huh:

Wasn't Awakening planned as some kind of set up for another trilogy or something like that?

Why do these movies continue to exist...why do people watch them? They're so bland and toneless.

I liked the first one. Seems like a weird reboot

Ya know, people liek to throw around the "the reboot that no one asked for" jab a lot. Pretty much everytime. I think this is the first time that it is truly honest

Why not continue from where Awakening left off?! This series is a guilty pleasure of mine. But I don't see a reboot making it any more lucrative than what it was. Which wasn't much to begin with.

God hollywood and it's reboot obsession:cmad:

Take Kate beckinsale and her dominatrix style outfit and you loose a lot of
appeal.Rise of lycans could work without her due to exploring back story.Reboot
has none of that.

They may take name and vampire Vs werewolves concept and nothing else.

As for as I am concerned they ended franchise with this news.

Finally. This is what we've all been waiting for. :o

Whats the use of rebooting when they set up a perfectly fine future with Selenes kid taking over.

The only big way this franchise went wrong was having Vampires being outed. But if anything make it into a tv series.

Thomas.PNG

Why?

I like the idea and the first one was fine but I'm not sure rebooting this is a smart move.

What a waste. They'd be better off wrapping up the story they've got now. Go out on a high, Fast Five style. Then worry about a reboot.

Or just end it altogether. :o

Just finish Selene and Micheal story first.

Why does hollywood do this :( it's not event been that long since the last film came out, too soon for a reboot.

Plus no one can top Kate as that role :( she so damn good in this role.

I enjoyed these movies but I'd rather they continue with the existing characters.

It's weird because the last movie had the biggest box office haul out of all the movies. Foreign and domestically.

Ya know, people liek to throw around the "the reboot that no one asked for" jab a lot. Pretty much everytime. I think this is the first time that it is truly honest

That's how I feel. Most reboots I dont really think are that unnecessary, but this ones feels really odd.

I enjoyed the first 2 but after that the franchise went down hill for a reason. Rebooting this will only fail because the last one tanked and that was with beckinsale back in the lead.

Wasn't Awakening planned as some kind of set up for another trilogy or something like that?

hats what I remember, so I'm not sure why they're considering a reboot, especially since it says right there Awakening was the most profitable of the franchise

This is like the Resident Evil series where they've all been bland and not very good. Only the first in both series has anything interesting in them. So to reboot a mediocre series like this is no big deal, just kind of pointless.

This is like the Resident Evil series where they've all been bland and not very good. Only the first in both series has anything interesting in them. So to reboot a mediocre series like this is no big deal, just kind of pointless.

At least these films kept better continuity. Unlike Resident Evil where the third film turned everything into a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and then the following films decided screw that, and ignored that little bit of information.

The first one was awesome. Mindless, but entertaining. Kate Beckinsale, Bill Nighy, and Michael Sheen make the film. I wasn't as keen on the sequels, but don't necessarily have any real problems with them. They weren't as memorable to me. I might do an Underworld marathon this weekend.

I just feel like this franchise was successful to the credit of Kate's involvement and Len Wiseman's vision. Taking those out, I'm not sure what you've got. If you maintain the aesthetic, but reboot it, it's pointless without originality. To tell a new story with new characters, it might work as a Prometheus style setup, where the franchise is reborn in a parallel narrative. Then it's not so much of a reboot. God I hate that term.

Bottom line, I'm cold on this.

I kinda enjoyed the 3rd film, the other ones not so much.

Yeah, i usualy pair them together, but i would say that Underworld is better than the RE films, in least it tries to keep continuity, tries to make itself its oun franchise instead of ripping everything from more popular ones and is overall less trashy and can work better as a guilty pleasure, as it's not horrid.

That said, Resident Evil is actualy the one that needs a reboot.

This leaves the few of us who enjoyed the series with no resolution. I won't be in any rush to watch the reboot.

It's not going to be a reboot, but an expansion of the Underworld franchise. Theo James (Divergent), who was in Underworld Awakening, will star in the new movie. They're casting two new female roles for the pic, which will lens next spring.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/divergent-actor-theo-james-star-732233

James' star is rising due to the Divergent franchise, and his Underworld Awakening contract had a sequel option, hence him 'replacing' Kate Beckinsale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"