Underworld Awakening

Awakening has amassed 108M worldwide, becoming the most popular Underworld movie overseas and the second highest grossing overall (Evolution still reigns but Awakening should overtake it next week). It is also on track to overtake the gross of Evolution domestically however, Awakening had a higher budget to make up and higher ticket costs.

The budget for this movie was too high, twice that of RotL. Greater chance of a sequel with these box office numbers.

Awakening has amassed 108M worldwide, becoming the most popular Underworld movie overseas and the second highest grossing overall (Evolution still reigns but Awakening should overtake it next week). It is also on track to overtake the gross of Evolution domestically however, Awakening had a higher budget to make up and higher ticket costs.

excellent news! its going to overtake Evolution! Then hopfully after the blu ray realse who knows talks of one more film ??

random review post, but kinda liked this review could see his a fan of the films - http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/underworld-awakening-2012

Intresting It Is the most popular film In series overseas.Right now It Is second most popular film In series domesticly.Hopefully It can overtake Evolution.

Chances are good for a fifth film.

If they make a sequel the studio is going to want to get Kate back. Im hoping they already have the story plotted out so it can be very good.

I read that Kate would be open to doing one or two more but that's it. I want to see her doing other roles...and man, I can't stop thinking about the kind of role she'll be playing in Total Recall as a bad woman, which is very different from her other roles she has done. *winks* It hurts that Wiseman hasn't released a trailer for it yet but soon, I hope.

I finally saw this the other night and enjoyed it. I was worried about the daughter aspect but thought they did a good job pulling it off. Also they need to make a sequel , it can't end like that , and bring Speedman back.

I am looking forward to seeing her In Total recall.Seeing her as a Villainess Is going to be something.They beefed up the role she played.She Is playing Sharon Stone's role In original but here she Is also the right hand of main villain like Michael Ironside was In Original.

The Underworld franchise Is laregly dependend on Kate.With Rise of the Lycans they were able to get away without her since they had a story fans of franchise were Intrested In but they had a dropoff In Box office without Kate.Awakening proves Kate as Selene In black leather outfit brings people to theatres.With the series rising budgets per film I think next film could be last Inless the next one does even better than Awakening.Now there Is always possable In future film they have selene pass the torch on to Eve but Inless Eve Is given some kind of selene like outfit I don't think It can be as strong as it Is with kate.

I'd rather they find a way to end the series than pass the torch to someone else.

Also interesting is the Superbowl effect. Male audiences desert the theatres to watch the game apparantly and this is seen as something of a two day weekend. We can spot how male skewed these movies seem to be this year

So Chronicle,Scored $8.6M on Friday, $10.1M on Saturday and only $3.2M on Sunday. 67.9% decline

The Woman in Black scored $8.3M, $9.6M and $2.9M 69.4% decline

Whereas the female counter Big Miracle saw a smaller decline, $2.2M, $3.9M, $1.6M. 60.2% decline.

The Grey, Man on a Ledge and Red Tails all saw 70-something% declines due to the Superbowl effect.

Now, look at Underworld Awakening: $1.7, $2.7, $1.1. 60.8% decline. See how in line it is with the FEMALE counter programming to the superbowl? Cinemascore counted a 45% female attendance on opening weekend.

Which asks the question. Why market the film as Kate in leather and 3D? Women clearly enjoy seeing Kate as a powerful figure and are putting their money where their mouth is. (It would have been higher if it had ended in the good old Underworld tradition of a shirtless Scott Speedman! :cmad:)

Last edited:
I'm hoping that posters for the next one have the whole family lined up looking awesome.

On that note, I wonder what Eve will do to update her wardrobe from those lab jammies.

Which asks the question. Why market the film as Kate in leather and 3D? Women clearly enjoy seeing Kate as a powerful figure and are putting their money where their mouth is. (It would have been higher if it had ended in the good old Underworld tradition of a shirtless Scott Speedman! :cmad:)
Lesbians, bisexuals, why not?

I can't believe this film was 75 minutes long minus 2 minutes for the flashback sequences, thus bringing it in at 73 minutes. Unbelievable. My biggest complaint about the Underworld films has always been the lack of story and character development. Now it seems the producers aren't even pretending to make a complete film anymore. They're happy to annex out what little story is already in these films and just show us the parts that only contain action. This film should have been about the development between Selene and her daughter. Instead all we got were some explosions and guns going off in it's place.

With that said, I actually really enjoyed the effects and many of the practical and cgi combo effects, stunts, and action sequences. If nothing else those parts of the film looked great. Kate and her daughter looked perfect in just about all their action scenes. What I did not enjoy was the awful lycan cgi werewolves. They were so bad, they actually ruined a film that could have stood somewhat on just it's makeup and action sequences. Why not just make the super lycan look like the CEO? Bigger doesn't alway mean better.

Is it really 75 minutes? IMDb lists it as 88 minutes. Either way, the Underworld movies have gotten progressively shorter. Even the Fast/Furious movies are all around the same length (expect for #5, which is by far the longest)

Yes, the credits are included in the runtime and they are long. Eventually we're going to be seeing one hour movies at the theaters.

I enjoyed it, good fun, however Speemans absence was obvious and it's probably why the film ran SO short. Still, 2 more of these would be perfect imo.

Considering they (the producers/studio/company? Just they in general) haven't lost money with any of these movies, Awakening made over 100 Million according to Wikipedia (cough cough) and its the highest profiting movie of 2012 so far (cough wikipedia COUGH), I'm sure we'll see a fifth. Underworld: Retaliation. Underworld: Genesis. Underworld: Eve of Destruction. Underworld: The End of the Vampire-Movie Genre Part I.

If this had cost $35 million yea we would be seeing another one, but at $70 million? It shouldn't be that high.

i think its a toss up for sequel yes its the highest grossing in the franchise but it has the highest budget too! it will top out at 65mill domestic on a 70mill budget so is that worthy of another one when it didnt make back the budget domestically like the others did?

Underworld: Awakening Blu-ray
Posted March 12, 2012 08:23 AM by Josh Katz

This May, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will bring Underworld: Awakening to Blu-ray. This fourth installment in the action-horror franchise stars Kate Beckinsale (Contraband) as Selene, a vampire negotiating her way through the brutal war between the Vampire and Lycan species.

From Sony's official synopsis:

"Selene...escapes imprisonment to find herself in a world where humans have discovered the existence of both Vampire and Lycan clans and are conducting an all-out war to eradicate both immortal species."

Sony is offering the feature in two Blu-ray versions - a Blu-ray/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack and a Blu-ray 3D/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack. Both sets present Underworld: Awakening in its 2.39:1 original aspect ratio with 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks alongside the following bonus supplements:

• Cracking the Underworld picture-in-picture experience
  • Filmmakers' commentary
  • Five behind-the-scenes featurettes: - Selene Rises
    - Casting the Future of Underworld
    - Resuming the Action
    - Building a Better Lycan
    - Awakening a Franchise, Building a Brutal New World
  • Blooper Reel
  • "Heavy Prey" music video by Lacey Sturm feat. Geno Lenardo
In addition, a series box set will also street on the same day as the individual Underworld: Awakening discs; this Blu-ray/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack will bundle together all four Underworld entries.

Underworld: Awakening is expected to street on May 8th.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8291

It was extremely short. I couldn't believe the run time when I saw it in theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"