Superman Returns We don't like how this movie is looking (merged)

VGPOP said:
I see you going 1-3 and perhaps 2-2 with those predictions.

X3 yes

Cars NO

SR NO

POTC2 YES.

What your predictions are?

guys dont forget, you cant put all your bets on opening day/ weekend to see if a film can be considered a hit, even if a movie will do well in the first few days the novelty could wear off by the time the next blockbuster movie make its debut. with this much competition a movie to do well has got to have more than a fantastic opening debut, its got to have legs.

I love how all those "experts" predict The DaVinci Code will be the biggest hit, when the early reviews are looking absolutely horrible. You can't tell me that won't make a LOT of people think twice about going to see it. I have a feeling it'll end up being the biggest disappointment of the year.

One intersting thing is that people expected from DVC positive reviews, but it have become disappointment.

And people dont think SR will get even $250m. I think they are wrong again.

I hope SR will get good WOM and enough positive reviews.

But I would like to know how big are chances for SR to get high numbers.

The Incredible Hulk said:
when you start making wagers on movie openings, you've REALLY got a gambling problem

LOL. Lucky me, I don't gamble. I've seen the light my friend. Superman is the biggest and most popular icon ever. Oh did I forget to mention that the \S/ is the most popular symbol ever? :rolleyes:

spideymusprime said:
LOL. Lucky me, I don't gamble. I've seen the light my friend. Superman is the biggest and most popular icon ever. Oh did I forget to mention that the \S/ is the most popular symbol ever? :rolleyes:

And what if SR is disappointment in box office? What will you do?

I think when it's all said and done, people will be extremely shocked when SR comes to theaters June 30.

In the meantime, people can say whatever they want about this movie.

I've had some posters that said that SR will gross $65 million over the first FIVE DAYS. (considering that Hulk grossed $62 million in its first THREE days). Some says that SR will gross $150 million at the Box office. Others say Snakes on the plane will outgross SR.

You have to completely dismiss predictions like that.

VGPOP said:
I think when it's all said and done, people will be extremely shocked when SR comes to theaters June 30.

I've had some posters that said that SR will gross $65 million over the first FIVE DAYS. (considering that Hulk grossed $62 million in its first THREE days).

But what are yor predictions for opening weekends of X3, Cars, SR and POTC2?

And how big are chances of SR making HIGH numbers?

Cinemaman said:

And what if SR is an astronomical super movie at the box office? Something beyond the wildest and most optimistic predictions? What would you do?

You know why I like this one better? Because NO ONE is expecting it. While a lot of people said it will dissapoint and a large majority thinks it will do BB numbers.

Consensus have been really bad at predicting movies lately......

Cinemaman said:

Superman Returns a disappoinment? There is no way that this movie will be a disappointment. You being a Supes fan of all people should know that there is nothing on this earth that can match the popularity of Superman. Superman is above all and the \S/ is the most popular symbol in the world. This movie will not dissappoint for many reasons which I've listed above. And once marketing kicks in next month....whoaaaaa boy, even the Marvel fans will believe a man can fly. Oh did I fail to mention, that the saying 'Up, Up and away' is the most popular saying in the world. Another reason why Superman Returns will do 450-500 mil.

Cinemaman said:
WHAT?:eek: I didn't predict Poseeidon to make even more than $140m.

What with you?

And I also think X3 is going to get bad WOM.

So there will be no good movie coming in May. Sadly :(

And I didn't get your prediction for SR, can you explain me? :)

I thought you loved the director and thought Troy and Perfect Storm were great ect ect...

I didn't think you ever predicted a number but you thought it would do well.... or at least that was what I remembered you saying all that back when you felt it was the first movie that was going to carry the Superman full trailer a ways back.

A ways back you said it was impossible for X3 to get anywhere near 90 to 100 Million in the first 3 days..... are you back tracking on that and going with Bad WOM now?

My prediciton is this in the end Superman will beat out PotC for the number 1 movie of July, I am not sure where that lands Superman in terms of total Bo office.... I have always felt Superman and X3 are going to be very close in terms of final box office numbers. However it should be noted for a start... Memorial day is traditional the bigger weekend when compared tot he 4rth of July

spideymusprime said:

i thought it was the cross?

VGPOP said:

I've had some posters that said that SR will gross $65 million over the first FIVE DAYS. (considering that Hulk grossed $62 million in its first THREE days). Some says that SR will gross $150 million at the Box office. Others say Snakes on the plane will outgross SR.

Superman Returns will no doubt have a HUGE opening. I mean let's face it. Who is not going to watch Superman Returns on the 4th of July weekend? Are there even any other wide release movies playing that weekend??? And once marketing kicks in June watch out.

spideymusprime said:
Superman Returns a disappoinment? There is no way that this movie will be a disappointment. You being a Supes fan of all people should know that there is nothing on this earth that can match the popularity of Superman. Superman is above all and the \S/ is the most popular symbol in the world. This movie will not dissappoint for many reasons which I've listed above. And once marketing kicks in next month....whoaaaaa boy, even the Marvel fans will believe a man can fly. Oh did I fail to mention, that the saying 'Up, Up and away' is the most popular saying in the world. Another reason why Superman Returns will do 450-500 mil.

Sorry bud maybe world wide, but I hate to be a realist here, but Superman is not Star Wars, the following is not as big, its just a fact. 280-300 US dollars, worldwide probably the 450-500 range, but if that movie gross 400+ here in the US I would be surprised, with POTC and other summer blockbusters coming out weeks after this movie will fall to 4th,5th or 8th place probably by 5 weeks after its release.

Weadazoid said:
I thought you loved the director and thought Troy and Perfect Storm were great ect ect...

I didn't think you ever predicted a number but you thought it would do well.... or at least that was what I remembered you saying all that back when you felt it was the first movie that was going to carry the Superman full trailer a ways back.

A ways back you said it was impossible for X3 to get anywhere near 90 to 100 Million in the first 3 days..... are you back tracking on that and going with Bad WOM now?

My prediciton is this in the end Superman will beat out PotC for the number 1 movie of July, I am not sure where that lands Superman in terms of total Bo office.... I have always felt Superman and X3 are going to be very close in terms of final box office numbers. However it should be noted for a start... Memorial day is traditional the bigger weekend when compared tot he 4rth of July

From the beginning of Posseidon idea, I knew that it is going to get low numbers. I said it in Mis. Films forum. I said it will get $133m domesticly and $39m opening weekend.

And I have feeling that X3 will get bad WOM. It is my point of view :)

Maybe SR will beat POTC2, it would be amazing!

spideymusprime said:

:rolleyes:

Steelsheen said:
i thought it was the cross?

You know you're right. It is. But I'm talking about fictional iconic characters. There is no other fictional character in the world that comes close to the popularity of Superman. Thank you supes fans for helping me see the light. Superman will do 450-500. I mean is 'crappy and cheesy' Spider-Man can do 400, why couldn't Superman do more than that? Come on, think about it.

musclesforsupes said:
Sorry bud maybe world wide, but I hate to be a realist here, but Superman is not Star Wars, the following is not as big, its just a fact. 280-300 US dollars, worldwide probably the 450-500 range, but if that movie gross 400+ here in the US I would be surprised, with POTC and other summer blockbusters coming out weeks after this movie will fall to 4th,5th or 8th place probably by 5 weeks after its release.

Cant see it making more than $400m in overseas. People from overseas prefer more POTC2 than SR. I'd say $350-380m will be possible for SR.

$280m are good numbers for SR, but I think it can make even more.

I think SR's success depends on the reviews, honestly. Don't forget the Spidey films got almost universally great reviews.

People say that the general public doesn't pay attention to that, but usually the news gets out to them one way or the other. I mean, even if you never read one review of Catwoman, it was impossible to avoid all the bad buzz flying around about it. And if the buzz is good, people somehow hear about that too, and want to see what all the fuss is about.

spideymusprime said:

Jesus - Bigger icon than Superman
Darth Vader - Bigger icon than Superman
Mickey Mouse - Bigger icon than Superman
Homer Simpson - Arguably a bigger icon than Superman

As for the :supes: being the most popular symbol ever...what about the cross?

VGPOP said:
And what if SR is an astronomical super movie at the box office? Something beyond the wildest and most optimistic predictions? What would you do?

You know why I like this one better? Because NO ONE is expecting it. While a lot of people said it will dissapoint and a large majority thinks it will do BB numbers.

Consensus have been really bad at predicting movies lately......

Very intersting. It will be able to amaze people.

People though KK will beat out Narnia, but they were wrong.

I would say SR will be sureprise for them like DVC has become disappointment again for them.

davejames said:
I think SR's success depends on the reviews, honestly. Don't forget the Spidey films got almost universally great reviews.

People say that the general public doesn't pay attention to that, but usually the news gets out to them one way or the other. I mean, even if you never read one review of Catwoman, it was impossible to avoid all the bad buzz flying around about it. And if the buzz is good, people somehow hear about that too, and want to see what all the fuss is about.

I think WOM is more important, and I think that will sink Superman. Teenagers don't want to pay 8 bucks to see Superman fight a floating island when they can pay it to see Jack Sparrow fight Davey Jones

davejames said:

Agreed. And good WOM will really help SR to get high numbers in box office.

A lot of people would be surprise in here when POTC2 doesn't open as high as everyone is expecting (extremely high optimistic unrealistic numbers) and doesn't outgross original. Sequels following a super blockbusters don't outgross originals (at least PART II's only).

Pirates 1 grossed $305 million!. It barely passed it. Now this one is going to pass it with ease? A SEQUEL?

Give me a break.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"