Superman Returns We don't like how this movie is looking (merged)

It doesn't look like SUPERMAN RETURNS will do SPIDER-MAN kind of business at the box office, but possibly on par with BATMAN BEGINS. I hope it does well.[/quote]

Why wouldn't it do Spider-Man kind business? I thought Superman was the most popular hero in the world. It should do at least 500 mil. domestic and 1 billion worldwide.

not to mention, when Spider-Man was made...there were only 2 previous comic book movies that hit big (X-Men and Blade). comic book movies were still fairly new....now, comic book movies are being made like it's going out of style...

I will tell you guys this. If you say Superman Returns will do 30,40, or only 50 million dollars on opening weekend then you are kidding yourself, this movie will do 80 + easy, and will be considered an opening weekend success and no doubt number 1. HOWEVER, the main thing that will break or make this movie is its weeks after, how much will it hold up, will it drop 50 or 60 points the following weeks, or will it have legs at the box office. The opening weekend is a success NO DOUBT, however its the weeks after which will make or break this film.
__________________ Again this is what is gonna make or break this film.

dude so what? the phantom menace grossed 431 domestically and it was the 4th starwars film. cosidering how popular the superman is worldwide according to the supes fanboys and the what a 20 year time gap since we've last seen a superman movie, there's no doubt returns should hit 500 mil. dom. see, superman is way bigger than spider-man. and nobody gives a crap about spider-man. the world loves superman. period. so it will kills spider-man at the box-office. the 'S' symbol is the most popular symbol in the world. everybody knows it. clearly the superman is the most popular icon ever. darth vader and mickey mouse can't a hold candle to supes.

If it is a good movie it will make a lot of money, if it isn't as good as we all want it'll get enough money to grant a sequel because many people will watch it just because it's superman.

Weadazoid said:
Many critics from cannes are saying DVC is surprisingly..... BOREING!

this goes to further my argurment that May will be owned by X3

Pretty much everything I predicited has come ture... MI3 not being huge but OK in terms of numbers Posiedon bombing which Cineman disagreed with me upon if my memory serves me correctly.

So now we are at the Over the Hedge Da Vinchi weekend..

Way I see it the two combine for pretty big numbers with niether really taking over compleatly

Da Vinchi high 50 or low 60 for the 3 day with the Hedge right there a clse second... Or as I have always said it may shock people and take number 1... So far Ice age had the Biggest opeing... the Hedge looks better

And then as I have always said X3 brings the older people that saw Da Vinchi and the younger kids that saw the hedge back togeather on Memorialday spiking X3 numbers over 90 Million for the 3 day and over 100 Million for the 4 day.... why? Because it will be the Big action movie of the summer...or for early Summer at any rate.

PotC and Superman now stand as the Narnia and King Kong of the Summer

Many predicted Kong would eat Narnia alive.... it never hapened why? Not sure universal appeal maybe... which some still say points to PotC but.... wasn't the combination of Kong and Jackson supposed to just take everyone over?

I still predict as I did a ways back that PotC and Superman go back and forth on the nuber 1 spot in the first 3 to 4 weeks.... and this is actualy good for Superman in my predictions and less dominance for PotC

WHAT?:eek: I didn't predict Poseeidon to make even more than $140m.

What with you?

And I also think X3 is going to get bad WOM.

So there will be no good movie coming in May. Sadly :(

And I didn't get your prediction for SR, can you explain me? :)

musclesforsupes said:
I will tell you guys this. If you say Superman Returns will do 30,40, or only 50 million dollars on opening weekend then you are kidding yourself, this movie will do 80 + easy, and will be considered an opening weekend success and no doubt number 1. HOWEVER, the main thing that will break or make this movie is its weeks after, how much will it hold up, will it drop 50 or 60 points the following weeks, or will it have legs at the box office. The opening weekend is a success NO DOUBT, however its the weeks after which will make or break this film.

If SR makes huge opening weekend ($75-85m), it will get high numbers in total!

I think POTC2 will make really HIGH numbers and get #1 in TOP5.

But SR will get good WOM and $280-320m domesticly, $2 in TOP5.

Even if POTC2 makes $100m opening weekend, SR will continue earning money, big money.

Online gambling websites have posted lines for the summer movies.

X Men 3 is the favorite to have the biggest three-day opening weekend at $100 million. OVER or UNDER

Superman Returns is at $90.5 million. OVER or UNDER

Pirates 2 is at $85 million. OVER or UNDER.

Reasons why Superman will do 500 million Domestically:

1. Most popular hero in the world according to supe fanboys

2. Super-Man is way bigger than Spider-Man.

3. \S/ it the most popular symbol in the world.

4. Superman is the most popular icon in the world according to the supe fans.

5. The world loves Superman.

Other factors:

6. The Superman name

7. 20 year wait

8. Opening on the 4th of July holiday weekend with no competition

9. Perfect movie for the general audience. It's got it all - Action, Romance, Comedy. Good for all age groups.

10. Good cast

11. Good director

Things that could hinder Superman Returns final gross.

Only one thing and that's POTC2. I think a lot of people are over-estimating this movie. Don't get me wrong it will do good business. I'm thinking 265-295. Considering how BIG Superman is according to the fanboys, the movie should hold up well making it hit the 500 mil. mark. Hey even when Spider-Man went up against STAR WARS, it still managed to do 400 mil. Amazing. With that being said. Superman is BIGGER than Spider-Man according to the fanboys and we all know that STAR WARS is way bigger than POTC2. So do the math. Superman will do 500 million dom. and 1 billion WW.

Pirates 2 will not outgross original. People saying otherwise should stop smoking whatever they're having.

spideymusprime said:

Other factors:

6. The Superman name

7. 20 year wait

9. Perfect movie for the general audience. It's got it all - Action, Romance, Comedy. Good for all age groups.

10. Good cast

11. Good director

Only one thing and that's POTC2. I think a lot of people are over-estimating this movie. Don't get me wrong it will do good business. I'm thinking 265-295. Considering how BIG Superman is according to the fanboys, the movie should hold up well making it hit the 500 mil. mark. Hey even when Spider-Man went up against STAR WARS, it still managed to do 400 mil. Amazing. With that being said. Superman is BIGGER than Spider-Man according to the fanboys and we all know that STAR WARS is way bigger than POTC2. So do the math. Superman will do 500 million dom. and 1 billion WW.

Hmm... No, the highest numbers which we can expect from this movie are $330m.

spideymusprime said:

So do the math. Superman will do 500 million dom. and 1 billion WW.

Well, this website agrees with you....

Superman Returns
The Most Anticipated Film of the Summer!

Opening Weekend:
$120,000,000

Domestic Box Office:
$500,000,000

http://www.worstpreviews.com/review.php?id=1

spideymusprime said:

Other factors:

6. The Superman name

7. 20 year wait

10. Good cast

11. Good director

really? than why do all make fun of him that he looks gay?

VGPOP said:
Online gambling websites have posted lines for the summer movies.

X Men 3 is the favorite to have the biggest three-day opening weekend at $100 million. OVER or UNDER

Superman Returns is at $90.5 million. OVER or UNDER

Pirates 2 is at $85 million. OVER or UNDER.

Ridiculous numbers! X3 just cant get so huge weekend, $77m as my forecast.

SR will be released on June 30th, $85m will be enough.

POTC2 is going to get the whole $100m! What they are talking about?

Cinemaman said:
Hmm... No, the highest numbers which we can expect from this movie are $330m.

You see. My original prediction was 295 mil. But the supes fanboys made me understand how big Superman is. They made me realize that Spider-Man, the X-men and even Batman were nothing compared to the popularity of Superman. They made me realize that Superman is bigger than life. So I needed to revise my prediction. And after taking into account what the Supes fanboy thought, I came to the conclusion that Superman Returns will gross 500 million Dom. There's no doubt about it. Just look at the reasons I've listed. It will do huge business. Ok, tell you what. Worst case scenario. POTC2 does hurt Returns a bit. In that case Returns will do 450 minimum!!!

So my prediction is 450-500 (After the Supes Fanboy influence)

290-300 (Before Supes fanboy influence)

Some people here need to put down the bottle of glue. You should be happy if this movie does Batman Begins type numbers domestically....

As for what Supes fanboys say, thats irrelevant. Across all the Superhero websites, if you total up the number of overall users you'd probably find about 25-30K people, at say $8 a ticket, thats only $240,000 even if everyone sees it twice that's still not a half million dollars. You need the general public to buy into this film or it's sunk, thats why comic fans are always catered to general audiences.

Cinemaman said:
Ridiculous numbers! X3 just cant get so huge weekend, $77m as my forecast.

SR will be released on June 30th, $85m will be enough.

POTC2 is going to get the whole $100m! What they are talking about?

Well, go to those online gambling websites and wager some cash. Your opinion is not the most accurate in terms of predictions (not saying that you are right or wrong). People have different predictions, but these are analized by people from Hollywood.

dark_b said:
really? than why do all make fun of him that he looks gay?

I don't know. But what I do know is this. Superman is biggest icon ever. I have to thank the Supes fans for making me understand. Spider-Man, Darth Vader are nothing compared to Superman. Superman is bigger than than anything.

Here is the report....

Prop bets add some intrigue to film opening

ST. JOHN'S, Antigua, May 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Moviegoers
anxious to see Professor Robert Langdon use his symbology skills onscreen
should be lined up on Friday for the first showings of The Da Vinci Code,
director Ron Howard's translation of the mega-selling book to the silver
screen.
With the ever-popular Tom Hanks playing Langdon, and a strong
supporting cast that includes Ian McKellen, Alfred Molina, Jean Reno, and
Audrey Tautou, hype for the movie has been building for months. But how
much business will Da Vinci actually do on opening weekend, and will it be
the blockbuster of the summer?
At http://www.betbet.com, you can get odds on whether Da Vinci will outperform
the other big summer movies at the box office on its opening weekend. Can't
see any film being more popular than Howard & Hanks' controversial
adaptation? Then at +300 you can bet Da Vinci will have the best
opening-weekend results.
Hold on though -- because Da Vinci isn't listed as the favorite at
BetBet. That honor goes to the third film in the X-Men franchise, which is
set to be released on Friday, May 26. X-Men: The Last Stand is pegged as
the -125 favorite to open with the top three-day box office numbers of the
summer.
Here is the complete list of odds for this prop at BetBet:
Top Grossing Movie of Summer (Three-Day Opening Weekend):
X-Men: The Last Stand (X3) -125
The Da Vinci Code +300
Superman Returns +300
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 +400
Any Other Movie +1000
So a $100 dollar bet on The Da Vinci Code pays you $300 if Howard's
film beats out the superheroes and pirates and comes up with the summer's
top opening.
With so much buzz surrounding the Da Vinci props at BetBet you can also
wager on the film in a few extra categories. The Da Vinci Code is listed at
EVEN odds to become the first summer movie to reach $200 million at the box
office, but oddsmakers don't like its chances of grabbing an Oscar nod (No
sits at -900). Hanks' Oscar chances for the movie? Not looking great either
(No sits at -600).

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-16-2006/0004363319&EDATE=

BELIEVE ME, online gambling websites would not put these lines "for the fun of it". You are saying that POTC2 will have the biggest opening weekend, and right now is not even favorite to do that.

It's in 4th place with a +400 line.

VGPOP said:
Well, go to those online gambling websites and wager some cash. Your opinion is not the most accurate in terms of predictions (not saying that you are right or wrong). People have different predictions, but these are analized by people from Hollywood.

My predictions for opening weekends:

X3 - $73m

Cars - $76m

SR - $85m

POTC2 - $103m

spideymusprime said:
You see. My original prediction was 295 mil. But the supes fanboys made me understand how big Superman is. They made me realize that Spider-Man, the X-men and even Batman were nothing compared to the popularity of Superman. They made me realize that Superman is bigger than life. So I needed to revise my prediction. And after taking into account what the Supes fanboy thought, I came to the conclusion that Superman Returns will gross 500 million Dom. There's no doubt about it. Just look at the reasons I've listed. It will do huge business. Ok, tell you what. Worst case scenario. POTC2 does hurt Returns a bit. In that case Returns will do 450 minimum!!!

So my prediction is 450-500 (After the Supes Fanboy influence)

290-300 (Before Supes fanboy influence)

You are more crazy than I am.

I though SR will make $335-355m.

But now I have realized that it is going to get $280-320m. In good it will make $318m, in bad $283m.

Cinemaman said:
My predictions for opening weekends:

X3 - $73m

Cars - $76m

SR - $85m

POTC2 - $103m

I see you going 1-3 and perhaps 2-2 with those predictions.

X3 yes (under $100 million)

Cars NO (No line, but no way it's going to gross $76 million)

SR NO (SR will end up with more than $100 million)

POTC2 MAYBE (I see POTC2 in $80-$90 million)

The Incredible Hulk said:
Some people here need to put down the bottle of glue. You should be happy if this movie does Batman Begins type numbers domestically....

As for what Supes fanboys say, thats irrelevant. Across all the Superhero websites, if you total up the number of overall users you'd probably find about 25-30K people, at say $8 a ticket, thats only $240,000 even if everyone sees it twice that's still not a half million dollars. You need the general public to buy into this film or it's sunk, thats why comic fans are always catered to general audiences.

Dude, I totally agree with you. But you haven't been on the Supes boards enough have you? I don't blame you man. See, I've seen the light. According to these fanboys, Superman is bigger than everything. It's bigger than the Star Wars franchise and it's way, way bigger than Spider-Man. Most of them believed that Spider-Man 1 and 2 sucked. They said it was cheesy and and nobody gave in this world gave a crap about Spider-Man. They showed me how popular Superman is. So I did the math. If Spider-Man sucked so much and it's not as popular as Superman but still managed to do 400 mil...then how much would Superman do??? So in conclusion, I've seen the light. Superman will do 450-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"