Weakest MCU film?

The two Ant-Man movies. Part 1 was basically a top off of Iron Man 1 and part 2, the less said the better.

I don't see how Ant-Man was a rip off of Iron Man. The only real similarity was that the hero and the villain battled it out in super suits at the end. Doctor Strange has a lot more in common with Iron Man than Ant-Man does.

Sadly, it pains me to admit, THE INCREDIBLE HULK is the weakest film in the MCU.

Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, well, the entire cast actually, do an excellent job.
Their acting is pretty much FLAWLESS.
The music soundtrack is excellent.
The fact that Lou Ferrigno is in it is awesome. (met him once, he is great)
Having that clip of Bill Bixby in there is great!
The pizza shop called "STANLEY's" is a cool tip to STAN LEE.

MARVEL removed too much of the story in their choice of deleted scenes.
And, for some reason, they didn't have any money to have THE INCREDIBLE HULK in the scene of his first HULK-OUT! That was very, very disappointing and frustrating - a huge let down.

I think that after spending the entire movie trying to rid Bruce of the HULK via pumping purple antidote into him, a huge hero moment would have been for Bruce to selflessly re-introduce the original "green" serum back into his blood stream right before he jumps out of the helicopter.

Anyways, even though THE INCREDIBLE HULK is the weakest film, I own it on BluRay & Digital and have viewed it many times, so it's not THAT horrible :)

Sorry, I'm new here and didn't notice the poll at the beginning.

I now see that THOR : THE DARK WORLD & IRON MAN 2 are also in the running for weakness.

I do get that DARK WORLD is a little on the slow side, but I watch it every time I run through the MCU because it is very good. It has many good moments, and far too many good characters to leave behind. THOR, ERIK SELVIG, DARCY, FRIGGA, even LOKI, who I can't stand, is worth it.

IRON MAN 2 is absolutely F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! I mean the first IRON MAN is pretty much perfect and could never be topped, yet somehow, they pull it off with IRON MAN 2. The film is completely awesome. IRON MAN, TONY STARK, BLACK WIDOW, NICK FURY, PEPPER, and JUSTIN HAMMER damn near steals the show - he's so good. VANKO, RHODEY, WAR MACHINE!!! JARVIS, you can't tell me you don't completely love this film. It's top-notch excellence and you all know it. No way it deserves to be in this thread :)

Easily Iron Man 2. I might prefer it over Incredible Hulk, but Iron Man 2 is a mess. No real story, the villain is weak and you can tell it was rushed.

The MCU standard is a bizarre one. I've not seen a film that I haven't enjoyed, but with every passing year I've found it harder to care much one way or another. They've never outright bad, but rarely ever feel better than a Marvel movie.

Thor 2 comes to mind as the most disposable. I'd probably rather watch that over the first one though.

Quoting myself to reflect on how times change. Since this post, Marvel have released a couple of big wins that made phase 3 look much better overall, but also released a new pick for their weakest.

Ant-man and the Wasp is easily the most disposable MCU film for me now. Barely remember it, and have zero interest in revisiting it.

For me, its down to 1 of IM2, IM3, Thor : DW or Captain Marvel.

For me it is a toss up between Captain Marvel and Iron Man 3. Not much redeemable qualities in either of those films for me.

Captain Marvel was bit boring. I didn't care for the Iron Man 3 mandarin twist and the nerdy villain that idolizes the hero before turning on him thing is a played out trope. I didn't like Rebecca Hall's Hansen getting done dirty by Perlmutter either.

Incredible Hulk was ok with me. Edward Norton and Liv Tyler had a surprising amount of chemistry and Roth was solid as abomination.

The worst:

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World

From best to worst.
But they're all good.

1 - Avengers: Endgame
2 - The Avengers
3 - Avengers: Infinity War
4 - Guardians of the Galaxy
5 - Captain America: Civil War
6 - Spider-Man: Far From Home
7 - Thor: Ragnarok
8 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier
9 - Doctor Strange
10 - Iron Man
11 - Ant-Man
12 - Black Panther
13- Spider-Man: Homecoming
14 - Avengers: Age of Ultron
15 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
16 - Captain America: The First Avenger
17 - Captain Marvel
18 - Thor
19 - Ant-Man & The Wasp
20 - The Incredible Hulk
21 - Iron Man 3
22 - Thor: The Dark World
23 - Iron Man 2

IRON MAN 2 is absolutely F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! I mean the first IRON MAN is pretty much perfect and could never be topped, yet somehow, they pull it off with IRON MAN 2. The film is completely awesome. IRON MAN, TONY STARK, BLACK WIDOW, NICK FURY, PEPPER, and JUSTIN HAMMER damn near steals the show - he's so good. VANKO, RHODEY, WAR MACHINE!!! JARVIS, you can't tell me you don't completely love this film. It's top-notch excellence and you all know it. No way it deserves to be in this thread :)
I shared that sentiment in 2010 when there were only three MCU movies and we weren't yet spoiled with a constant flow of content like with Phase 3. Iron Man 2 has its moments, like Tony vs. Rhodey, Black Widow's first big action scene, Iron Man and War Machine vs. the drone bots, and Sam Rockwell's entire performance (still waiting for Justin Hammer to return to the MCU). But overall it's just...fine. I don't think it's the worst MCU movie but it's definitely near the bottom of the list. For me it's still The Incredible Hulk. For the record, I don't think any of the MCU movies are outright bad.

Easily Ant-Man and the Wasp for me. I don’t think it’s a particularly good movie at all—I feel it really missed the mark with Janet’s story, and the other new characters like Ghost, Bill Foster / Goliath & whoever Walton Goggins was playing. I only saw it in theaters and have no desire to revisit it.

And I actually quite liked the first Ant-Man. It was a charming movie; everything in the second just seemed a demotion.

Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 for me.

I rewatched The Incredible Hulk a couple weeks ago and I noticed there were a lot of deleted scenes with Leonard which had fleshed out his character more. Cutting those scenes out just made him the third wheel in the film.

Iron Man 3 is definitely the worst for me. It’s the only MCU movie I don’t own

Depends on the day of the week but these are some of the bottom of the however many films Marvel has released:

Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange
Ant-man and the Wasp
Iron Man 2
Far From Home

Iron Man 3. Not so much because of "The Mandarin" twist, but because to me it felt rather disconnected from the MCU. The ending felt like, well that's it, Tony Stark is done with Iron Man. Even though we all knew he was coming back for Age of Ultron. The movie just felt off to me, even though I find it pretty entertaining overall.

Just for the record, there are no MCU movies that I truly dislike.

The twist in Iron Man 3 killed the entire third act for me. Not because the twist itself was bad necessarily, but because I was absolutely loving Kingsley's Mandarin and then he turned out to be a complete goofball.

And Aldrich Killian sucked.

Good to see a few have picked up Iron Man 3.

It’s the worst movie in the series for me because it does the worst job of building on the other films.

It came just after the Avengers movie when aliens had just invaded and there was alien tech lying around everywhere outside Tony Stark’s building, and the film doesn’t do anything with that.

Instead they invented a new technology that was never used again.

Ignoring Agents of SHIELD, we had to wait for the Spider-Man movie to see what happened to that alien technology in the movies.

That’s all before you get to it generally being a weak film, and the twist, whilst amusing, killed a really interesting bad guy. They could maybe have pulled off the twist if there weren’t so many other flaws.

Good to see a few have picked up Iron Man 3.

It’s the worst movie in the series for me because it does the worst job of building on the other films.

It came just after the Avengers movie when aliens had just invaded and there was alien tech lying around everywhere outside Tony Stark’s building, and the film doesn’t do anything with that.

Instead they invented a new technology that was never used again.

Ignoring Agents of SHIELD, we had to wait for the Spider-Man movie to see what happened to that alien technology in the movies.

That’s all before you get to it generally being a weak film, and the twist, whilst amusing, killed a really interesting bad guy. They could maybe have pulled off the twist if there weren’t so many other flaws.

For me, Captain Marvel hands down. I have tried to stay awoke while watching it but just can't.
Same. I’ve only see it twice. Once in the theaters. Once at home. Fell asleep both times.

For me, Captain Marvel hands down. I have tried to stay awoke while watching it but just can't.

Dude, is " tried to stay awoke" that a pun ( intentional or not) or a Freudian slip, because Captain Marvel is the wokest MCU film.

I have a confession to make:

The Incredible Hulk is better than Avengers Endgame. I'm not kidding or exaggerating, it really is a better told story, and I'm one of those who love the three hours fanfare and consider it to be one of the MCU's easiest and most fun outings to watch.

I see repeatedly that TIH gets a lot of negative criticism and is placed very low in so many lists ranking MCU movies, but having done and MCU marathon fairly recently (save for AM&TW and Thor: TDW), but here is what I saw in it:

1. The pacing is super easy to follow, nothing overstays its welcome, and nothing moves on too fast it is hard to follow.
  2. The villain has a well established relationship with his superior, and is one of the most well developed villains in CBM, he's one of the only developed villains in the MCU, cause his journey is paced properly and is done without one point contradicting another.
  3. As @chamber-music said; there is a good chemistry between Bruce and Betty.
  4. There is a certain amount of nuances that establish the Hulk as a character, and they are noticeable. The way he breaks the Jeep on campus for instance, he's violent, but the soldiers in it got out safely. The hate Hulk developed exclusively for Blonsky is set with care, maybe a bit rushed, but there is good care set for it.
  5. None of the characters is particularly wasted, not even fan service characters like Doc Samson who had an effective single scene that made his character more than just a waste of screen time (but I'm a bit torn on removing the scene of him confessing to Betty that he did call the army to get Bruce, and the break-up that follows).
  6. Jack McGee and Jim Wilson were utilized in a good way, and now that the latter's uncle is starring in his own show (Falcon & Winter Soldier) I think the time to highlight him more, maybe even include him in She-Hulk.

There are so many well established bits in it, I think it had the potential to be one of the better MCU movies, but right now it is more deserving to be somewhere in the middle instead of bottom fodder.
Showing Rick Jones and Doc Samson as allies in the intro is so easy to miss that complaining about it can be relegated to being more of a nitpick as things stand.

Iron Man 3 was made to focus on Tony's stress, so it not focusing on the cleaning process after the climax battle in the Avengers is maybe a missed opportunity, but I'll give it a pass for not making it a plot point that goes nowhere, or a background thing Tony probably didn't want to talk about.

I guess it's ok to find Captain Marvel boring, but her movie earned having its fans, and it's a fun movie that I like. The same can be said about Doctor Strange.

The worst are Ant-Man & the Wasp, and Thor: The Dark World. Suit guy who wants Pym's company is unnecessary for most of his scenes, the hunt for old Ant-Man is unnecessary, the conflict with Ghost could have been resolved more neatly or made as interesting as the stuff with Valkyrie in Ragnarok, but as things stand it's an overrated piece of feces.

As for Thor 2, I don't have much positive to say about a movie that made what's supposed to be funny moments cringe inducing, characters from the first movie are boring or facepalm material, the villain is so boring he made Apocalypse from 2016 far more interesting in comparison (and I'm one who looks rather positively at 2016's live action version portrayed by Oscar Isaac)... villains in that movie are mildly less boring than aliens in Dark Phoenix. Yes, I went there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"