Weakest MCU film?

How is it condescending to think one mediocre movie is comparable to another mediocre movie? Also where did you get that X-Men: Apocalypse was is "my favorite X-Men movie?"

If you want me to be condescending, here goes: your arguments are as specious as a child's.

Umm
Avengers: Age of Ultron. It is the worst offender of Marvel's interconnected need to constantly be marketing, as opposed to telling its single story. The only difference between it and X-Men: Apocalypse is that it has better CGI, and audiences like the MCU so much they can overlook how mediocre and hollow it all rings.

That isnt condescending? Read you what you post. You basically attacked the audience from that comment.

And now that Black Panther has gotten glowing reviews before the non critics saw it, what do you have to say for this post of yours that was directed to Black Panther?

But you know what it doesn't look like? A boilerplate, glossy (and empty) blockbuster designed in a committee room somewhere. :sly:

The MCU standard is a bizarre one. I've not seen a film that I haven't enjoyed, but with every passing year I've found it harder to care much one way or another. They've never outright bad, but rarely ever feel better than a Marvel movie.

Thor 2 comes to mind as the most disposable. I'd probably rather watch that over the first one though.

And that should've been it. I don't care how great Ragnarok did- I have no interest in seeing another solo Thor film. And yes, I'm putting that on Dark World. What you find odd I find to be just fine.

You shouldn't be shocked that people find your position baffling, though, since its basically "Because one movie was bad, I won't bother to see another movie that is good". Not even in a prospective "I expect this movie to be bad" sense, but in a "The movie is out, its known to be a highly loved movie" situation.

The MCU standard is a bizarre one. I've not seen a film that I haven't enjoyed, but with every passing year I've found it harder to care much one way or another. They've never outright bad, but rarely ever feel better than a Marvel movie.

Thor 2 comes to mind as the most disposable. I'd probably rather watch that over the first one though.

This so much. In many ways, the movies are incredibly similar. I don't find myself caring about these movies anymore. They're just so safe and toneally predictable and so clearly marketed for teens. As you said, they don't feel like gfeat high quality film, like say, District 9. Which is just SO much better than anything the MCU has pumped out (similar genre.) They rarely feel better than just a good safe marvel movie.

Personally, I have found myself bored with the MCU after Thor Ragnarok, which I enjoyed. I have MCU burnout, After IW, I'm probably gonna gonna move on from the franchise, in terms of my investment. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in Ant-Man and the Wasp, or Captain Marvel. The only thing left I care about is Thanos. If they don't do him justice, or make him quippy or quirky then I'll probably be indifferent to the MCU. They just don't make mature intelligent movies. Russo movies were the only one I could objectively say were "very good".

Really? I thought that, though the pacing was a bit off and an occasional joke fell flat, GOTG2 mostly added to the themes of the original in a positive way. Why did you dislike it so much?

The opening scene TOTALLY pulled me from the movie. Baby dancing Groot around while they fought the monster was such a pathetically blatant marketing ploy intended to sell toys and cuteness. But the movie opened with baby Groot dancing around to a tracking shot while they fought a monster. It totally pulled me out of the movie and I never got back into it. I actually remember saying outloud "are f******* kidding me?". It hit me like a ton of bricks right there, that I no longer was a die hard of the MCU. Idk, I've gotten older as this franchise has progressed, matured in age, personality and the way I view the world, and entertainment platforms and frankly the MCU is a bit immature for my tastes now. I still will see the movies because I love Marvel and the nostalgia of these characters..but I just don't care anymore. Guardians 2 is when I had this epiphany. The jokes were jarring and I didnt want it to match Guardians 1. I wanted it to evolve, and grow.

If I didn't pay, I would have left the theater. I felt embarassed watching it. That movie was everything I hate about entertainment and marketing, and James Gunn's trait narcissism (which people tried telling me didn't exist..it absolutely does) just screams at you in the film if you understand how narcissism works from a more clinical point of view.

I'm rambling. But yeah, I guess Guardians 2 sort of crossed a lot of personal preferences and standards for me which made me more objective about the MCU in general.

You shouldn't be shocked that people find your position baffling, though, since its basically "Because one movie was bad, I won't bother to see another movie that is good". Not even in a prospective "I expect this movie to be bad" sense, but in a "The movie is out, its known to be a highly loved movie" situation.

I 100% support his stance. He isn't shocked that people find his stance baffling. He is shocked that people aren't simply accepting his opinion and are looking for a rationalization for it. He's shocked that his opinion can't just be his, and that it has to be rationalized away. I TOTALLY support that. But that is what happens on forums where people are fans of a topic. People take it personal when it isnt.

Iron Man 3 is way worse than Iron Man 2. The whole thing is a mess from beginning to end. The worst part is when Pepper puts on an Iron Man suit.

This so much. In many ways, the movies are incredibly similar. I don't find myself caring about these movies anymore. They're just so safe and toneally predictable and so clearly marketed for teens.

Who should they be marketed towards? Be thankful it's teens and not little kids who arguably should be their true target audience.

TIH, followed by Thor.

I really enjoy IM2, and like TDW more than Thor. I hated IM3 when it came out because of the whole Mandarin debacle, but after watching it a few more times (even though I still hate the Mandarin aspect) its much better. AoU gets better rewatching, but I still think it needed to be a two parter to have an impact.

Still, I feel there is a big gap between the quality of TIH/Thor and TDW for me to consider TDW worse, though it is still near the bottom.

***** Hulk. is worst but Thor 2 the dark world is close second.

That movie was everything I hate about entertainment and marketing, and James Gunn's trait narcissism (which people tried telling me didn't exist..it absolutely does) just screams at you in the film if you understand how narcissism works from a more clinical point of view.

tenor.gif

I would have to watch them again to decide which is the worst. I know which I liked the least.

Iron Man 3 - This is probably not the worst, but it turned me off the most. It's like they thought it was funny to **** on the character (Mandarin) and the very notion of being respectful toward the source material. I get that the character isn't everyone's cup of tea. I get that filmmakers are going to change elements of the comics. This felt like they didn't even try to make the character work. They just thought it was funny to **** on it. If you don't like the character, don't use him. Don't bring him onstage just to dump on him. I really didn't like that. The element of using the character as commentary for Western villain mythologizing was interesting, but they could've used a different character for that. Additionally, we get an Iron Man with no Iron Man armor. I get that they were trying something different but that's just not what I pay to see. If I wanted to watch Lethal Weapon I would watch Lethal Weapon.

Thor 2 or Iron Man 2.

I forgot to finalize my answer, and now I saw this thread in my subscriptions.

Thor: The Dark World
The only MCU movie that has characters that are truly non-entities and nary important to keep you invested, between the Earth four, the Warriors Three, and the most dull and uninteresting villains, there is too much of one dimensional characters present in one picture.

Meek from Thor Ragnarok is a bit more memorable than all these characters, except for Kat Dennings, she's memorably annoying in TDW.

Iron Man 3 is offensive.
Thor 2 is just Hiddleston having fun in Green-Lantern-with-different-effects while everyone else phones it in because they realize it sucks.
So take your pick.

Thor: TDW is still the worst film, both story-wise and critically.

Iron Man 3 is way worse than Iron Man 2. The whole thing is a mess from beginning to end. The worst part is when Pepper puts on an Iron Man suit.

I would have to watch them again to decide which is the worst. I know which I liked the least.

Iron Man 3 - This is probably not the worst, but it turned me off the most. It's like they thought it was funny to **** on the character (Mandarin) and the very notion of being respectful toward the source material. I get that the character isn't everyone's cup of tea. I get that filmmakers are going to change elements of the comics. This felt like they didn't even try to make the character work. They just thought it was funny to **** on it. If you don't like the character, don't use him. Don't bring him onstage just to dump on him. I really didn't like that. The element of using the character as commentary for Western villain mythologizing was interesting, but they could've used a different character for that. Additionally, we get an Iron Man with no Iron Man armor. I get that they were trying something different but that's just not what I pay to see. If I wanted to watch Lethal Weapon I would watch Lethal Weapon.

Iron Man 3.

Iron-Man 3 by a cosmic mile.

Iron Man 3 is offensive.
Thor 2 is just Hiddleston having fun in Green-Lantern-with-different-effects while everyone else phones it in because they realize it sucks.
So take your pick.

Hmmmm.....let me think.....Let's throw out TDW as the worst.

Personally, it's IM 2 for me.

TDW I actually enjoyed. It's fun, and while they could have cut out the sidekicks ( not the warriors 3, which was my one gripe about Ragnarok, that they were so easily killed off), and had a better villain it was still entertaining enough.

IM 2 comes on the back of IM, a strong contender for best superhero origin film ever. The worst of IM2's sins is that it's such a disappointment...I remember waiting for it to get good and it never did.

Incredible Hulk was also reasonably entertaining and didn't have an exceptional predecessor to live up to.

As for Iron Man 3....... :barf:

Oh, definitely Iron Man 2 and 3. Thor The Dark World - um, sure.,. But considering that the first Thor was mildly entertaining, I never felt like Dark World's "failure" (in quotes cuz I know that some very "good" people will try to tell me that it actually was commercially succesful) was that big of a surprise. There was no expectations for that franchise. But Iron Man did have expectations. It had so much potential, but it all was wasted. Iron Man 2 was based on Iron Man's strongest comic arc, but couldn't even make a decent story out of it. Iron Man 3 used the be-all, end-all villain of Iron Man, but couldn't even make him an actual villain.

The Dark World for me. It was just the biggest disappointment.
It had some decent moments like Frigga's funeral, the prison cell scene with Loki... but for the most part it was so bland and the treatment given to the character of Thor was just a sad and annoying thing to witness. The hole thing was like Marvel's autopilot.

Someone here mentioned GOTG2...
It's not in the bottom of my list but it was definitely a disappointment in my book. I love the original GOTG and it's one of my favorite MCU movies but the second one was just a misfire. They took a cool, sweet and simple concept and turned everything up to 11 and it just didn't work for the most part.

The humor wasn't good, the misplacement of the jokes was a big issue, the increase in characters took time and focus out of the original team... I just felt that they took a great unique thing and bloated it.

The two Ant-Man movies. Part 1 was basically a rip off of Iron Man 1 and part 2, the less said the better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"