What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOS was a good and very entertaining movie. Lots of action for sure. As most said it did have some flaws. The relationship with him and Lois reminded me of Thor and Jane. They shouldn't have gotten that close that fast in this movie. A building friendship yes, but leave the kissing for the sequel. Due to his fathers insistance on Clark keeping his secret, he kinda grew up as a loner so to get involved so quick with Lois felt really out of character.

Superman allowing so much destruction in the city didnt make sense. Zod wanted to kill Superman. All superman had to do was fly to a non civilized area and fight Zod there cause Zod would have followed him anywhere to fight.

Lois found out Superman's secret identity fairly quick. I'm pretty sure the FBI would have found it alot quicker...

How could Superman know the satellite was specifically looking for his hiding base/fortess of solitude/spaceship?

Why the bad place would Zod want to terraform Earth to make it more like Krypton when they can be like Kal-El and be godlike?!?!?!??!!??!WTF

For a 2h20min movie it seemed like it was over so fast. Anyways I liked the movie for what it was but hope the sequel will be better.

- They should've had the flashbacks in chronological order

- Clark's earth dad's death should have been more emotional by having him on the ground crying while having his dad on the ground as well telling him to stay back instead of him standing up and then disappearing in the tornado

- They should have had more dialogue between Clark and his parents

- They should have brought in a different way to introduce the suit instead of just having it appear out of nowhere

- Faora should have lived because she was so damn fine with that b*tch face she puts on

- They should have had a post-credits scene with the next villain (Lex Luthor?) even if it's just 5 seconds, something to reward the fans with.

Other than that, I loved the movie. Action scenes were PERFECT length and were the best action scenes I've ever seen in a superhero movie.

I think the intent of the flashbacks was a way to show the audience that Clark/Kal-El did learn lessons from his adopted parents. Because Krypton was an advance race, his biological father, Jor-El was fortunate enough to upload his consciousness on to a key. Jor-El was able to mentor his son as an adult in that manner. Obviously, we humans are not that advanced, but the writer leveraged past experiences to illustrate that Superman did learn lessons about controlling his powers and holding back when he was young. I guess you could say that he used both flash-backs and flash-drives to remember his fathers.

Why the bad place would Zod want to terraform Earth to make it more like Krypton when they can be like Kal-El and be godlike?!?!?!??!!??!WTF
Because Zod isn't Kal-EL. He's Superman's equal of the same kind, but different intentions. Did you miss the first half of the movie? Zod not only executed the council, he turned against Jor-EL's wish's to "look to the stars" and go about it in the right manner.

Zod is a Kryptonian General and the leader of their military forces with bad intentions to rule a dictatorship HIS way. He has no heart, no tenderness. He's a brooding military General with a chip on his shoulder.

"I will honor the man you once were, not the man you have become."
"My son is twice the man you ever were, Zod. Can't you see it? You're a ghost too. The Krypton you loved is no more.." so Zod had absolutley NO intentions to be "God-like" for planet Earth. That doesn't benefit him to the slightest. His sole purpose was to be a leader and force for Planet Krypton, no else.

The difference between Supes and Zod?

"Krypton had its chance!"

Zod's destiny and pure existence was to rule and honor that of Krypton, not share existing worlds or be God-like.

Last edited:
I just didn't understand why pa kent died I mean he stops Clark from saving him so that other people wouldn't know a out his abilities but his abilities were already revealed when he saved those kids in the bus

The pacing/editing could have been done better

Also I didn't like how fast Lois finds out who Clark is it would have been cooler if they could have done it at the end of the film like batman begins also didn't like how she fell in love with him thor style

The lack of humor also bothered me the film is way too serious

And the climax of the film had too much going on especially with Clark fighting the terraformer ship with the doc ock tentacle thing

These are my major gripes with the movie I still enjoyed the movie though

Because Zod isn't Kal-EL. He's Superman's equal of the same kind, but different intentions. Did you miss the first half of the movie? Zod not only executed the council, he turned against Jor-EL's wish's to "look to the stars" and go about it in the right manner.

Zod is a Kryptonian General and the leader of their military forces with bad intentions to rule a dictatorship HIS way. He has no heart, no tenderness. He's a brooding military General with a chip on his shoulder.

"I will honor the man you once were, not the man you have become."
"My son is twice the man you ever were, Zod. Can't you see it? You're a ghost too. The Krypton you loved is no more.." so Zod had absolutley NO intentions to be "God-like" for planet Earth. That doesn't benefit him to the slightest. His sole purpose was to be a leader and force for Planet Krypton, no else.

The difference between Supes and Zod?

"Krypton had its chance!"

Zod's destiny and pure existence was to rule and honor that of Krypton, not share existing worlds or be God-like.

So Zod would kill Superman and all the humans if he wanted too so why terraform? The point is for the race to survive, not create another Krypton.

Very good movie

But WTH is up with the cameraman during the scenes when Zod came in at the council and when Pa Kent was talking to Clark in pick up that is so amateurish when camera was shaking...it just took a lot out of those scenes.

The last fighting was OVER THE TOP!! Not even the animated Superman fight was not so over the top...c'mon Snyder!!! Less is more sometimes.

Nolan's story got this right but Snyder's treatment made this movie just so so

Last edited:
So Zod would kill Superman and all the humans if he wanted too so why terraform? The point is for the race to survive, not create another Krypton.

Superman to Ma:

"I can resurrect my people.."
"Well isn't that a good thing"
"I have a feeling Zod is not up to co-exist"

True, Zod wanted his race to survive, but he wanted them to survive on a New Krypton, the purpose of his existence. Krypton is his SOLE destiny. That's the entire point of the Zod character. Jor-EL said it in their last encounter. "Can't you see it? Krypton as you know it is no more."

He refused to let go of Krypton. In the General's eyes, if they were going to exist, it was by Krypton-rule.

I honestly don’t see how the origin of the suit is an issue. It’s his Kryptonian heritage. It's a symbol of hope. Which Jor-El flat out tells him when the suit is revealed.

How much more could they have explained it, in an already exposition-heavy sequence?

Our first time spent with Clark. Again, the entire sequence on the boat is so, so rushed and could have been used to show us who Clark is at the beginning of the story, rather than an excuse for a setpiece.

It was. Did you notice he was working for the Coast Guard, and what happened there?

Lois called up to Black Zero by Zod for no reason (or a flimsy one, they had Clark already).

I don't see how calling one of the humans with the most knowledge of Kal-El and his actions on Earth onto the ship is "flimsy".

2. His father's death was weak. Apparently people cried at this? I didn't think the scene was realistic enough.

I don't know if it was tearworthy...and it wasn't perfectly executed, but weak? Hardly. That's a powerful moment, character and storywise, in terms of how it impacted Clark Kent's life.

3. Got suit before Zod arrived, learned to fly, never used it again until Zod showed up weeks/months later.

Didn't Zod show up relatively soon? As Zod stated later in the film, Superman activated a distress beacon when he boarded the scout ship/fortress and that's what drew the Kryptonians to Earth in the first place.

5. Zod never had a badass moment where he had Clark on the ropes and injured.

Pretty sure he did, actually. To a point. As much as Superman can be on the ropes.

6. Wish Clark/young Clark had more development into why he was saving people now and why he donned the suit to become a symbol of Hope.

What do you mean?

7. Lois has a montage where she looks for him. How long does it take to find him? No idea there is no hint given. Could've been a year for all we know.

Why does it matter? Why is this even relevant?

8. Priest scene. Could've talked to Lois or his Mom instead.

True. That felt a bit out of place, though the imagery and the ties to faith/God were nice.

9. Drop ships with Kryps always available to pickup Zod and Faora, but never available to help them fight?

They used them to fight a couple of times in Smallville. Remember when Superman got blasted?

10. Lois follows Clark into the FoS after somehow seeing him accidentally with her camera? Also she traversed a cliff that no one but an expert climber with gear or Superman could traverse.

There was a whole camp there. They even had a rigging of some kind up there. I'm sure there was some way to get up there.

11. Zod dies and Lois appears out of nowhere. Impossible for her to follow two supermen who are fighting in midair and in space

Depends on where they ended up. Seems like they ended up back in Metropolis, so its clearly not impossible.

1. Jor El's death. Being killed by Zod didn't really add anything to the story but it sacrificed the strong visual of him and Lara standing together when Krypton perishes.

I kind of agree, but Zod killing Jor-El DID ad to Zod's arc and the story (especially later in the film when they "debate", and to Superman's as well.

And Lara standing alone as Krypton died was pretty powerful in itself, and symbolic. A change, yes, but a solid one with several impacts throughout the film.

2. Pa Kent's death. It's mainly a problem with the edit. It cuts to Clark too many times which makes him look like an idiot for staying rooted. I wish he'd been busy getting other people away and upon turning to see Pa only having a split second to react.

It's supposed to show him desperately wanting to save his father, but obeying his father's final request for him to continue to remain hidden. And it did.

Jonathan said, earlier in the film, “This is bigger than us, and our family”.

And it is. And was.

And Pa may have been wrong to decide that, but the point was that he made that decision, and characterwise, it helps to justify/explain Clark Kent more or less hiding all those years afterward.

Why did the Kryptonians need a ship to put criminals in the Phantom Zone? The only reason was so Zod & Co. were put in a ship was so they would have a ship
when they got out. Lazy writing IMO.

Because The Phantom Zone was inside a gateway...and that gateway was in space.

2) Explain why the one scout ship that went to Earth would have the Suit 20,000 years in preparation? Who was piloting it and what was the relationship to Kal?

The movie did explain this. They were his ancestors, and in Krypton's past, Krypton looked outward and attempted to expand across the galaxy. Does it really matter who was piloting the ship?

3) The creation of "Clark Kent" was completely skipped over. Since Lois is so heavily involved with Kal's life now, let her have a hand in helping him shape the civilian persona.

But the reason for his existence wasn't. I would imagine we'll see more about him developing Daily Planet Clark Kent in the sequel.

4) The Fortress ship was destroyed way too soon. No, rather it never should've happened.

He can always build a new fortress. He's Superman.

7) Give Perry more character than "generic editor"

Umm...they very much did.

I don’t see how Superman saying he grew up in Kansas gives anything away.
It’s not like there are only a dozen people in Kansas.

And people already KNOW he was sighted in the Midwest for years anyway.

The scene where Clark is being bullied and then "comforted" by Jonathan Kent pretty much could have been cut out..given what they already showed.

That scene was more about Pete Ross understanding Clark’s secret and doing what he could to help and support Clark emotionally than anything else.

2. Superman saves people but he doesn't comfort them. Although Superman may know what's best in each circumstance, the fact he doesn't say anything to person he saves (such as leaving Lois because police are coming without really saying anything..if my memory is correct, and then the way he tries to calm Lois during the surgery) shows a bit of arrogance. It can take a few seconds to say, "everything will be all right...just smile Lois..this is what I do to endure pain...or keep hope alive" ...not "I can do what lot of men can't....and hold on, this is gonna hurt" with a bravado smirk.

He doesn't usually have time to comfort people. He did ask that soldier if he was all right before taking off again, and he tries to help calm Lois down. He's portrayed as a very compassionate character. Fairly sure your memory is not correct regarding Superman smirking before he blasts Lois with heat vision.

Why hasn't the military, CIA, or anyone at the Daily Planet figured out Clark Kent is the alien? It seems like everybody in Smallville knows who he is. Why didn't Zod use this more to his advantage? I don't like how so many people know his identity that shoud be kept under tight wraps.

Because the military, CIA etc doesn’t know there’s actually an alien, or at least the degree of its significance until Zod arrives.

I'm not sure where the idea that everyone in Smallville knows Clark is an alien is coming from.

I think the movie shows the Kents, Lana, Lois and Pete being aware of Clark’s abilities. Its possible others in Smallville know, but it certainly cannot be assumed based on what the film shows.

Superman allowing so much destruction in the city didnt make sense. Zod wanted to kill Superman. All superman had to do was fly to a non civilized area and fight Zod there cause Zod would have followed him anywhere to fight.

I don't think Superman "allowed" anything. They were in an intense battle. He tried flying away. Remember when they were in space?

Lois found out Superman's secret identity fairly quick. I'm pretty sure the FBI would have found it alot quicker...

The FBI didn’t happen to be working on the story she was. It's a question of convenience, but that's a perfectly reasonable explanation for her to have knowledge that others don't.

My only complaints are this:

The hand-to-hand combat action was far too fast and difficult to visually follow - which isn't surprising, it's Snyder's norm. I wish they'd slow it down just a little bit; keep it up above normal speed, but maybe give us a wider camera angle or a little slower to help ease it's ability to be followed.

And the two or three times the film cut hard away - like from baby Clark's ship zooming over Kansas to the fishing boat at sea, for prime example.

I really hope those two or three hard cuts where for time and we get an extended DVD version without such.

I honestly don’t see how the origin of the suit is an issue. It’s his Kryptonian heritage. It's a symbol of hope. Which Jor-El flat out tells him when the suit is revealed.

How much more could they have explained it, in an already exposition-heavy sequence?

It was. Did you notice he was working for the Coast Guard, and what happened there?

I don't see how calling one of the humans with the most knowledge of Kal-El and his actions on Earth onto the ship is "flimsy".

I don't know if it was tearworthy...and it wasn't perfectly executed, but weak? Hardly. That's a powerful moment, character and storywise, in terms of how it impacted Clark Kent's life.

Didn't Zod show up relatively soon? As Zod stated later in the film, Superman activated a distress beacon when he boarded the scout ship/fortress and that's what drew the Kryptonians to Earth in the first place.

Pretty sure he did, actually. To a point. As much as Superman can be on the ropes.

What do you mean?

True. That felt a bit out of place, though the imagery and the ties to faith/God were nice.

They used them to fight a couple of times in Smallville. Remember when Superman got blasted?

There was a whole camp there. They even had a rigging of some kind up there. I'm sure there was some way to get up there.

Depends on where they ended up. Seems like they ended up back in Metropolis, so its clearly not impossible.

I kind of agree, but Zod killing Jor-El DID ad to Zod's arc and the story (especially later in the film when they "debate", and to Superman's as well.

And Lara standing alone as Krypton died was pretty powerful in itself, and symbolic. A change, yes, but a solid one with several impacts throughout the film.

It's supposed to show him desperately wanting to save his father, but obeying his father's final request for him to continue to remain hidden. And it did.

And it is. And was.

And Pa may have been wrong to decide that, but the point was that he made that decision, and characterwise, it helps to justify/explain Clark Kent more or less hiding all those years afterward.

The movie did explain this. They were his ancestors, and in Krypton's past, Krypton looked outward and attempted to expand across the galaxy. Does it really matter who was piloting the ship?

But the reason for his existence wasn't. I would imagine we'll see more about him developing Daily Planet Clark Kent in the sequel.

That scene was more about Pete Ross understanding Clark’s secret and doing what he could to help and support Clark emotionally than anything else.

He doesn't usually have time to comfort people. He did ask that soldier if he was all right before taking off again, and he tries to help calm Lois down. He's portrayed as a very compassionate character. Fairly sure your memory is not correct regarding Superman smirking before he blasts Lois with heat vision.

Because the military, CIA etc doesn’t know there’s actually an alien, or at least the degree of its significance until Zod arrives.

I'm not sure where the idea that everyone in Smallville knows Clark is an alien is coming from.

I think the movie shows the Kents, Lana, Lois and Pete being aware of Clark’s abilities. Its possible others in Smallville know, but it certainly cannot be assumed based on what the film shows.

I don't think Superman "allowed" anything. They were in an intense battle. He tried flying away. Remember when they were in space?

The FBI didn’t happen to be working on the story she was. It's a question of convenience, but that's a perfectly reasonable explanation for her to have knowledge that others don't.

This deserves a standing :applaud

I'll agree with the pacing being fast, though the film still worked very well.

If these are the types of nitpicks we're going to get (basically people not paying attention?), MAN OF STEEL is in pretty good shape as a film and an adaption.

If I had done the film, I'd have left the Krypton scenes alone but I'd have had the middle part run in order, they'd have found him as a boy etc and I would have fleshed out certain scenes i.e. the whole bus thing etc, I really hope they do an extended Blu ray.

What do you mean?

And it is. And was.

I just wanted to point out that this film was written in 6 distinct acts (or four acts surrounded by a prolog and an epilog). The first act (which is more of an epilog) is the battle for Krypton and the birth of Kal-El. The second act is about the legendary superman with scenes of his heroics occurring around the world. Lois Lane is introduced in search of this legendary figure. The third act is about Clark finding the space ship, discovering who he is and learning to use his powers. The fourth act is the invasion of the Kryptonians and the battle for Earth, the fifth act is the climactic death battle between Superman and Zod. The final act or epilog is a new beginning for Clark as he takes on an alias and a new job at the Daily Planet as a reporter. I felt the story was well written in that it followed the normal Superman story line while inserting more details into some events we never really got to know about on film (in previous films there was not much covered about Kryptonian culture for example).

Batman Begins handled flashbacks really well, but MoS handled them to the point where people are saying "get rid of them" or "have a linear timeline" wow..

- The Metropolis Mayhem. The collateral damage was immense and they didn't show Superman warning citizens or trying to keep them away. That was truly needed. Even in films like Avengers and Batman Begins in which the heroes contributed to the carnage, there's a moment that gives you some measure of relief for the citizens, like when Alfred tells Bruce after the Tumbler chase in which several police cars were damaged, that "It was a miracle no one was killed". Or in Avengers when Cap helped shuffle people out of the way. Small moment, big impact.

As much as I get what you are saying and even agree(would have been so easy too). You didn't exactly see Ironman or Thor or anyone else doing this...on a whole yes the cap part served that purpose to a extent, but just cause superman has all their powers doesn't necessarily mean he needs to have all their roles.

If you take the battle for new york and literally just make a film out of Ironmans part, I have a feeling no one would say two words about lack of "this" issue. Most people would probably just assume Stark is doing what he can and has pressing matters to attend.

There is a certain level of us expecting alot from superman.
Poor cavil lol.

- Several Goyer-isms. If y'all know Goyer, you probably know what I'm talking about. David Goyer bought a lot of the issues he brought with Batman Begins. The repeating of lines, "A good death is its own reward" which was the new "You better learn to mind your surroundings". Or the constant use of saying the theme. "Hope" or "change the world", which was the new "Fear".

Those are only problems if you want them to be imo. I for one thought the "death is it's own reward" was well played. It showed her smug ash a thing or two.

my only complaint is his
age. why the **** would you make him 33? i can buy a 27 year old clark killing zod and that affecting the kind of hero he'd become. an older clark should know better.

Batman Begins handled flashbacks really well, but MoS handled them to the point where people are saying "get rid of them" or "have a linear timeline" wow..

Begins was Nolan coming out of his indie and celebrated momento era. Begins was also first to really do it and precluded the status quo of hard to please fan's this side of 2012..

Not to discredit the gripes, but this is an element of what's going on I think.
Personally I would have put that Jon Kent flash back after the big india explosion and maybe had us address martha's thoughts on it. Perhaps she has some blame in her...

no shaky-camera or the zoom-in camera effect.
everything else i would leave as is

I would change so much that the post would be too long for anyone to read.

In short though...I would take Lois out of most of the action, using her as a journalist investigating the case. This would force the removal of a few keys scenes (like her capture, escape from Zod's ship)...which means that Clark would have to learn how to stop Zod's plans on his own (with Jor-el) and would give more focus to the military cast (rather than them mostly being people for Lois to bounce off of).

That is just the start of it though...I'd give Lana more of a role, alter the big fight at the end etc.

As much as I get what you are saying and even agree(would have been so easy too). You didn't exactly see Ironman or Thor or anyone else doing this...on a whole yes the cap part served that purpose to a extent, but just cause superman has all their powers doesn't necessarily mean he needs to have all their roles.

If you take the battle for new york and literally just make a film out of Ironmans part, I have a feeling no one would say two words about lack of "this" issue. Most people would probably just assume Stark is doing what he can and has pressing matters to attend.

While true Marvin, it's just something Superman would've done. I can assume that he's doing what he can, but just seeing that would've helped.

Those are only problems if you want them to be imo. I for one thought the "death is it's own reward" was well played. It showed her smug ash a thing or two.

It was well done. It's just that I saw it coming and was like, "Oh, not this again." :funny:

The other stuff though was just annoying.

ЯɘvlveR;26117631 said:
my only complaint is his
age. why the **** would you make him 33? i can buy a 27 year old clark killing zod and that affecting the kind of hero he'd become. an older clark should know better.

What different would that have made? He's still inexperienced in using his powers and had never been in that situation before until that point.

My only complaints are this:

The hand-to-hand combat action was far too fast and difficult to visually follow - which isn't surprising, it's Snyder's norm. I wish they'd slow it down just a little bit; keep it up above normal speed, but maybe give us a wider camera angle or a little slower to help ease it's ability to be followed.

um, snyder's hand to hand has never been hard to see or choppy or any of that. It's always been clear and it was here imo.

If anything the man has been criticized for too much slow(and clear) motion in his action.

funny how that works.

I tried to get through this post without mentioned TDK trilogy, but I can't. See that for bad hard to see acition. Watchmen and 300 have the opposite. I think if he shot shot the final battle like a 300 ramp up and down, things would have gone better with the audience.

Hi guys. I follow the forums here regularly but never posted. This is my first. Just saw MoS and i really liked it. I thought it was a good Superman movie, perhaps not the best CBM. I'm only a casual fan of Supes (more of a Spidey guy), so my knowledge of Supes is limited but nonetheless, here are the things that bugged me:-

1. Very un-superman like traits. Superman does not seem to care for the lives and safety of humans as he fought Zod & company. Couldn't he draw the fight somewhere else where there will be minimum collateral? Especially in the final fight when it was just him and Zod. Couldn't he at least have negotiated with Zod for truce or have him terraform some other planet? SM2 was a perfect example when you see Supes utterly distraught with the destruction of Metropolis and chooses to flee to distract the fight away from the city.

2. The death of Pa Kent. I just didn't buy the whole "you are not my father" line by Clark when earlier, you see a younger Clark saying "can i still pretend you are my father?". Clearly to Clark, Jonathan is his father. Very out of character. Also, the whole thing just reminds me of the Peter Parker with Uncle Ben scene, also right before Ben's death. Works in Spidey, not here tho'.

3. How is it that the suit was in a ship that crashed into Earth nearly 20000 years ago? What made it so special that they brought it along with them in their expeditions?

4. Zod's interest in Earth is purely due to the presence of Kal-El and he needs the Codex. But couldn't Zod terraform some other planet? Or why didn't Supes at least negotiate that option with Zod in order to save Earth? (ties back to the first point of un-superman like traits).

5. The action scenes were too fast and made it hard to follow. But, having said that, it was grand and did justice to how Supes should fight.

5a. I just wish that there was some sort of damage/bruise/injury to both Supes and Zod. You know, a torn cape/suit. messed up hair or something. The fight brought down skyscrapers and yet Supes looked as pristine as ever.

6. When Supes is on Zod's ship, he bleeds and becomes weak because he is not used to the Kryptonian atmosphere in the ship. So how is it possible for him to survive space?

7. Too much of Jor-El's consciousness for my liking and the whole sequence with Lois and Jor-El guiding her to the escape pod....meh. Also, did Jor-El knows for sure that Supes will save Lois as she crashes down to Earth? If not, isn't he sending her to her death along with the information on how to defeat Zod?

8. This is a nitpick - why don't they put the yellow \S/ symbol on the cape anymore? i really like that. i mean, the cape is CGI most of the time anyway. o well.

Well, after all that, i still enjoyed MoS immensely, especially the moments with Pa, Ma and Clark. Wish there were more of those. A solid 7.5-8/10.

cheers.

ЯɘvlveR;26117631 said:
my only complaint is his

[BLACKOUT]Jesus Christ reference[/BLACKOUT] right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"