The Dark Knight Rises What didn't you like about the movie? - Part 1

so im sure there are a few things or tiny nitpicks that we possibly dont like from the film so far. The only thing im disliking so far is the possible connection between bane and the los but thats minor

Thinking about Bruce making sweet love to Tatelia, I've come to the conclusion that Bruce needed some love, instant gratification plain and simple, after the trend of down feelings and experiences. He had lost his money, Alfred was gone (he said goodbye, but called his name out the next day only to see he had gone for real) and Fox agreed that he didn't have a place in the board meeting. Logic be damned, he got down with Tate because why not? You don't have to have deep feelings with someone to commit such an act. He also had nothing to lose (the death wish angle) and was preparing himself to take on Bane, who Alfred stressed was one mean dude.
--It's a big leap from "let's knock boots" to "here are the keys to my company!"

DjB

His choices were either let Miranda control the company or Daggett... Tough choice.

--It's a big leap from "let's knock boots" to "here are the keys to my company!"

DjB

But he had been away from business for 8 years, had no idea how bad his company was doing and Fox pretty much vouched for her to take control.

i thought the whole bruce losing the company was stupid. Its Wayne Enterprises. Don't **** with that!

i thought the whole bruce losing the company was stupid. Its Wayne Enterprises. Don't **** with that!

I think it was Nolans way of grounding it in "our" world what with the economy as it is and that. Wether thats right or wrong I guess is up the individual of course, but I love how this Batman series had these links to real world problems, Economy, Terrorism, Escalation, Privacy Rights, made it such much more relevant than other comic book films of its generation.

Well to me anyway :yay:

I would've preferred that Bane have his own motives for taking down Gotham [blackout]other than "to realize Ra's Al Ghul's destiny". I thought the Talia/League of Shadows revenge stuff was not really needed (and Talia's death scene was lame),[/blackout] and I think Bane should've been even more front and center to the story than he was because when he was on screen, he was awesome.

JGL's reasoning felt a tad off; that an not-so-much time spent on the streets of Bane's Gotham needed to be there.

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Over all the movie was mediocre, I went in not liking the casting choice for either Catwoman or Bane, but wanted to give it a chance. In the end Hathaway did alright, I still didn't like Hardy as Bane. That said unfortunately there was a lot of things I did not like.

1. Talia sleeps with Bruce Wayne AFTER she has everything she needed from him including his trust, she was supposedly motivated by hate
2. Bane again is just a two bit henchman
3. Bane's back story (one of the best for a villain) is given to Talia
4. The fact that Batman is retired for 8 years
5. The fact that Batman is retired for 8 years and a kid who is about 12 (or 4 in the days of Batman) cares about if he's coming back after 8 years, Batman retired because things were generally good, he's not Santa his exploits in crime-fighting would mean little to a kid who couldn't remember him
6. In 8 years Bruce doesn't heal up and is crippled, but then can in a couple of days and is strong enough to fight Bane
7. That John Blake figured out Bruce was Batman without any conceivable legitimacy
8. Bane having anything to do with The League of Shadows
9. That Catwoman drives a prototype motorcycle way beyond the level of a pro on her first outing on it.
10. That Bruce is so easily outwitted by literally every adversary in the movie, even John, 8 years doesn't mean you loss your smarts or strategic mind.

Not to mention the plot and the Villain's plans are incredibly contrived, there's more but I'll stop there.

I did like that Bruce basically sentences John Blake to death, leaving him the Bat cave, John was trained as a street cop not years in the league of shadows, years with monks and with gangs, no financial backing for gadgets, no Bruce training him since he was 9, probably no Alfred, he should be dead within the week if he decides to put on the cowl.

Did it entertain me, sure, but it's nowhere near as good as a lot of the reviews would have people believe.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited:
1. JGL's role - totally unnecessary
2. JGL "becoming Batman" (I know why they did that, but c'mon, it doesn't make sense he has no training whatsoever)
3. The stupid computer virus idea
4. Talia turning into the main bad guy (she was pretty poorly used in the movie so there was hardly any impact)
5. Bane turning from the main baddie into a *****-whipped crybaby who then gets blown away and is never seen again
6. Batman, Gordon and Selina talking, listening and kissing while the countdown is running
7. Batman's survival (unbelievable)
8. JGL telepathic abilities (finding Gordon outside the sewers, seeing that Bruce is Batman IN HIS EYES)
9. General laziness (Bruce suddenly back in Gotham and also finding Selina! and stuff like that)

There is pretty much to attack about the movie. Yet it was very entertaining. Some stuff like Bane having a big base in the sewers, Bane punching holes into concrete... well, I see that as Nolan's nod to the often absurd things that happen in superhero books, so I don't have much problems with it - but it clearly breaks with the first two movies. There is really no reason anymore why the Joker couldn't have been "perma-white" since the pseudo-realism went through the window with that one.

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Over all the movie was mediocre, I went in not liking the casting choice for either Catwoman or Bane, but wanted to give it a chance. In the end Hathaway did alright, I still didn't like Hardy as Bane. That said unfortunately there was a lot of things I did not like.

1. [BLACKOUT]Talia sleeps with Bruce Wayne AFTER she has everything she needed from him including his trust, she was supposedly motivated by hate[/BLACKOUT]
2. Bane [BLACKOUT]again is just a two bit henchman[/BLACKOUT]
3. Bane's [BLACKOUT]back story (one of the best for a villain) is given to Talia[/BLACKOUT]
4. The fact that Batman is retired for 8 years
5. The fact that Batman is retired for 8 years and a kid who is about 12 (or 4 in the days of Batman) cares about if he's coming back after 8 years, Batman retired because things were generally good, he's not Santa his exploits in crime-fighting would mean little to a kid who couldn't remember him
6. In 8 years Bruce [BLACKOUT]doesn't heal up and is crippled, but then can in a couple of days and is strong enough to fight Bane[/BLACKOUT]
7. That John Blake [BLACKOUT]figured out Bruce was Batman without any conceivable legitimacy[/BLACKOUT]
8. Bane having anything to do with [BLACKOUT]The League of Shadows[/BLACKOUT]
9. That Catwoman drives a prototype motorcycle way beyond the level of a pro on her first outing on it.
10. That Bruce is so easily outwitted by literally every adversary in the movie, even John, 8 years doesn't mean you loss your smarts or strategic mind.

Not to mention the plot and the Villain's plans are incredibly contrived, there's more but I'll stop there.

I did like that Bruce [BLACKOUT]basically sentences John Blake to death, leaving him the Bat cave, John was trained as a street cop not years in the league of shadows, years with monks and with gangs, no financial backing for gadgets, no Bruce training him since he was 9, probably no Alfred, he should be dead within the week if he decides to put on the cowl.[/BLACKOUT]

Did it entertain me, sure, but it's nowhere near as good as a lot of the reviews would have people believe.[/FONT][/SIZE]

No, do go on please. You're on a roll.

I would've preferred that Bane have his own motives for taking down Gotham [blackout]other than "to realize Ra's Al Ghul's destiny". I thought the Talia/League of Shadows revenge stuff was not really needed (and Talia's death scene was lame),[/blackout] and I think Bane should've been even more front and center to the story than he was because when he was on screen, he was awesome.
Same feelings here. They shouldn't have made him Talia's ***** in the end.

I still love the movie, but this movie really has some nitpicks on the story.

Same feelings here. They shouldn't have made him Talia's ***** in the end.

I still love the movie, but this movie really has some nitpicks on the story.

Bane did kind of of go against Talia at the end as she asked him to keep Bat/Bruce alive but Bane try to go against her and Blow his fricking head off. well until Catwoman showed up anyway.

I wish that considering the pushed the ending for Blake rising to become batman they actually used him to maybe save batman at that point.

Well bats was gonna die even if bane wasnt gonna shoot him...a friggin nuke was gonna go off in the city!

Something I really disliked was that, after the scene when Gordon is taken to Bane's lair, he calls the "masked man" Bane, when he never heard his name. It was never mentioned, how could he know what his name is?

Another thing I disliked was that Alfred seemed to find a lot of info on Bane's story, when later in the movie the people in the pit didn't even want to talk about it. It seems higly unlikely that info about his birth and young years is easily found.

And at the end Bruce giving Blake the possibility of becoming Batman. This isn't something I really dislike, but it kinda goes against everything Bruce had to go trough to become Batman.

He's apparently known by the CIA. The best I could deduce is that either Alfred knew of him from his service days or Bruce helped him retrieve the data on Bane. Unfortunately that has no basis in the film, and is fanfiction.

Minor nitpick:

Considering the circumstances Cillian Murphy's Crane didn't exactly need to abide by the traditions of modern society. While I would've started off showing his face in Court, at least during some of that scene he could've had a garish costume and a scicle. It would've actually made sense within the context of the goings on. They really could've given Scarecrow and very comic book accurate costume for those scenes.

No, do go on please. You're on a roll.

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]and so I shall...

11.Ra's plan was to destroy Gotham because it was corrupt, Batman retired because generally it no longer is... so there is no need to "fulfill" Ra's plan to end corruption, Batman did that.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]12. If your plan is to destroy Gotham, [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]there's got to be a better (and smarter) way than setting a bomb on a FIVE MONTH TIMER!!! that is ridiculous.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]13. Only ONE man, the Batman, can supplant the villain's plans, [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]so they don't kill him they injure him... THEN they proceed with a plan that is the exact required amount of time for him to heal from his injuries and come back an kick their asses... that doesn't make sense.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]14. They send EVERY capable cop in the city underground to go after an UNKNOWN threat, EVERY COP!? ridiculous
15. The villain has [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]an ARMY of cops trapped underground, and goes about killing average Gotham citizens, yet inexplicably keeps this ARMY of cops alive for months with food and water! what other reason is there for this except to have this ARMY available to thwart your plans later?[/FONT][/SIZE] They didn't even need to kill these guys... just not help them
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]16. Bruce inexplicably trust Catwoman, [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]first she steals from him, second she disappears when he's asking her for help, third she is an accomplice to bankrupting him and ousting him from his company and after ALL that... then she sets him up TO BE KILLED! Other than her words of robin hood, Bruce has seen NOT ONE redeeming action from her, so there is no reason after 5 months to come back to the only other person he knows is complicit in his murder plot, but she's the first person he goes to... at least make her yell out "No stop you said you wouldn't kill him!" during the trap or something damn![/FONT][/SIZE] I mean seriously did he look up and see her tender eyes when he was lying on the floor back broken and cripple and think, "Oh yea, that's a good girl, she couldn't have possibly wanted this."
17. After 5 months the cops come out of the underground looking healthy, spry and clean! obviously being supplied with enough food and water for 3 squares and to wash...all the while kids have to steal apples, do you know how much effort it would take to keep so many people alive and healthy for so many months... and this isn't the government or some world health organization just some rag tag criminals... who clearly care a lot about the cops well being

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] And one of my biggest gripes, this movie spoils the ending of the Dark Knight... The ONLY reason for Batman to take the blame in TDK would be so villains would fear him more because now they think he's a killer, other than that all that was needed was NOT to let people know Harvey Dent was evil... The Joker killed so many people all they had to say was the Joker killed Harvey... or ANY other unknown person, done. Instead they pin it on Batman and he retires! so what good came out of making Batman a villain to the public at the end!?

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure there were more.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited:
Everything to do with the Orphanage, all those scenes were awful.

Everytime a Policeman was needed Blake would show up !

I know the Orphanage scenes were needed to introduce the Blake character.

I thought it was pretty hilarious when all those cops were heading into the tunnels, bumping shoulders because there wasn't hardly enough room for all of them to walk. I'm thinking, "Who the hell thinks this is a good idea?"

Or why at the end were they, again, bumping shoulders as they walked down the street and no one dared walk on the sidewalk?

Bruce inexplicably trust Catwoman, first she steals from him, second she disappears when he's asking her for help, third she is an accomplice to bankrupting him and ousting him from his company and after ALL that... then she sets him up TO BE KILLED! Other than her words of robin hood, Bruce has seen NOT ONE redeeming action from her, so there is no reason after 5 months to come back to the only other person he knows is complicit in his murder plot, but she's the first person he goes to... at least make her yell out "No stop you said you wouldn't kill him!" during the trap or something damn! I mean seriously did he look up and see her tender eyes when he was lying on the floor back broken and cripple and think, "Oh yea, that's a good girl, she couldn't have possibly wanted this."

This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"