• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What do you want if there's a Fantastic Four reboot?

- A main story that connects to both the origin of the FF and of Doom (or whatever villain they'd chose) while at the same time being more complex and larger in scale than it was in Tim Story's first FF movie. The origins should tie into the story (so as to not feel like unconnected "bonus" scenes), but not be a very large part of it.

- A closer adaptation of Doom's character and history.

- An older looking actor for Reed Richards.

- CGI the Thing (while the suit is OK I just feel like the Thing should be larger to the point where a suit just wouldn't be practical).

Simple idea: Doom sabotaged Reed's experiment because he believed Reed caused the accident that gave him a scar, unwittingly creating the Four.

I can't believe how much smarter than a Hollywood filmmaker I just sounded... :wow:

^ I suggested just that in another FF reboot thread (Marvel Films forum). Well, not exactly I guess... I suggested Doom sabotaged Reed's experiment, but with the revenge angle just being a bonus.

I just want one thing...a new cast, director and screenwriter!!! Okay, so thats actually three things, but...

Director: James Cameron
Writer: Joss Whedon

Alexis Denisof as Reed Richards/ Mr. Fantastic
wesley.jpg

Rachael Taylor as Sue Storm/ Invisible Woman
5.jpg

or if you feel like going older...

Naomi Watts as Sue Storm/ Invisible Woman
r123065_398034.jpg

Matt Barr as Johnny Storm/ Human Torch
normal_matt.jpg

Aaron Douglas as Ben Grimm/ The Thing
0000008328_20060920152402.jpg

Clive Owen as Victor Von Doom/ Dr. Doom
70leks8n.jpg

or

Daniel Craig as Victor Von Doom/ Dr. Doom
daniel_craig_4.jpg

^ I suggested just that in another FF reboot thread (Marvel Films forum). Well, not exactly I guess... I suggested Doom sabotaged Reed's experiment, but with the revenge angle just being a bonus.

Practically everything Doom does with the Four is an act of vengeance.

Rachael Taylor as Sue Storm/ Invisible Woman
5.jpg

or if you feel like going older...

Naomi Watts as Sue Storm/ Invisible Woman
r123065_398034.jpg

Taylor seemed to green for Sue from what I saw of her in TF. She'd need to tone down her accent, as well.

I'd be fine with Watts. She was my first choice.

Other actresses I thought had potential are Poppy Montgomery, Charlize Theron, Natasha Henstridge and Tricia Helfer.

Matt Barr as Johnny Storm/ Human Torch
normal_matt.jpg

Haven't seen him in anything. What's he done?

Your cast is stellar aside from this. :D

No freaking reboot! Either let it die, or get a new script with a new director.

Haven't seen him in anything. What's he done?

Your cast is stellar aside from this. :D

He had a role on One Tree Hill, which he did great on. He played a stalker posing as a girls brother. He was also on one of the American Pie's. Aside from that, not much. But you dont need too much acting experience to play Johnny Storm. I can definately see Barr as the hot-headed Johnny Storm.

I wish Neil Patrick Harris was born a decade later. He'd be PERFECT for Johnny.

Now, it's easy for me to say this in retrospect, and after watching Batman Begins, but I would not have the Four battle Doom until part 2. In the first film, they could have their origin and fight Mole Man. Like Begins, they could tease Dr. Doom at the end and cause a million fanboys to wet their pants.

Anyway, by saving Doom for the sequel, it would allow him to have a FF movie all to himself, instead of musceling for screentime against the FF's origin story and leading to a minor skirmish at the end. In the first film, show the FF becoming a great superhero team, great with teamwork and creative tactics. Then in part 2, Doom comes along and wipes them out in a minute.

By biggest problem with the movies was Doom. I could handle Jessica Alba mangling Sue and Thing being too short, but everytime Doom was on screen I wanted to kill somebody. Julian McMahon is a fine actor, but he's got nowhere near the level of menace or gravitas. And he's got a voice like a gameshow host.

Doom needs an Anton Chigurh/Darth Vader level of menace. The kind of bad guy that you don't even want to be in the same room with him. And everytime he opens his mouth, you know he could destroy you without even thinking about it.
nocountryforoldmen.jpg
darthvader.jpg

The character of Vader was inspired by Doom anyway, so what better place to start?

Really like LSM's cast, especially Clive Owen as Doom. Doom should definitely be played by a handsome actor with a cool voice, and Clive Owen has more of both than most actors have of either.

You guys continue to confuse the hell out of me. The Thing is "too short" compared to what? He was the height established by the first 10 or 20 [or more] years of the comic. Maybe he's huge in the Ultimate FF, but I do not want a movie based on that!

And why, why, WHY would you want to waste valuable screen time on rehashing the same basic origin that has already been told? Is the new Hulk redoing the origin? NO! Banner is the Hulk from the word go, and that's what any reboot of the FF should be.

I agree that Fox botched it, and based on what I have seen from IRON MAN, I would LOVE for Marvel to get the FF back, but I do not want to see them redoing what has already been done. Ignore the Fox movies if you like, but do not plow the same ground twice when there is so much fertile material to tap into!

You guys continue to confuse the hell out of me. The Thing is "too short" compared to what? He was the height established by the first 10 or 20 [or more] years of the comic. Maybe he's huge in the Ultimate FF, but I do not want a movie based on that!

And why, why, WHY would you want to waste valuable screen time on rehashing the same basic origin that has already been told? Is the new Hulk redoing the origin? NO! Banner is the Hulk from the word go, and that's what any reboot of the FF should be.

I agree that Fox botched it, and based on what I have seen from IRON MAN, I would LOVE for Marvel to get the FF back, but I do not want to see them redoing what has already been done. Ignore the Fox movies if you like, but do not plow the same ground twice when there is so much fertile material to tap into!

All good points.

Personally, I still haven't fully accepted the failure of the FF franchise, and am still operating on the "If-I-could-go-back-in-time-and-fix-things" mentality, rather than the "let's-drop-everything-and-start-over." Same with Spidey 3, but that's another discussion. In a few years, I'll be able to put this all behind me and look to the future. Maybe when Jessica Alba isn't so famous anymore.:hehe:

Because Fox's origin is altered enough that it doesn't fit with the comic FF so the audience will need to learn what the real origin was and, most importantly, to make sure everyone knows the new FF isn't tied in any way to Fox's attempts.

They don't need to show all of it in the film, they could show snippits in the prologue/opening credit sequence, have characters discuss it briefly in scenes during the movie and show small parts in flashbacks.

We have yet to see if Incredible Hulk is a good sequel to know if it did a good job ignoring the first movie. Ang Lee's Hulk is also a much better jumping off point then what the Fox's FF has given the franchise.

They can't use Doom unless the origin is dealt with. If they show use a Doom who is closer to his comic counterpart the audience won't know that he's not genetically altered freak but a normal human who built his own armor and is a genius scientist who makes his own stuff.

I'm of the opinion the Fantastic Four's origin is not one of the more engaging ones Marvel has to offer, and would rather have a film with the Four as superheroes, with the rebooting coming from the entire depiction of Doom. Lest we forget, Peyton Reed's take on the characters wasn't going to have an origin story.

I'm of the opinion the Fantastic Four's origin is not one of the more engaging ones Marvel has to offer, and would rather have a film with the Four as superheroes, with the rebooting coming from the entire depiction of Doom. Lest we forget, Peyton Reed's take on the characters wasn't going to have an origin story.

What was his movie going to be like? I totally forgot he was attached many moons ago.

I thought Evans and Chiklis were both perfect for their roles.

IF Marvel did an FF reboot, I would not want to see Doom in it for at least a movie or two. And just like Warner's is ignoring the Burton Joker with it's new one, Marvel could do the same when they got around to Doom. And again, I am happy to have the characters address their origin as needed, but I do not want to loose valuable screen time to retelling the same basic story.

I can live with that.

Who do you guys think would make a good MAD THINKER? I am torn between Kelsey Grammer and Tom Hanks...?

Aaron Douglas as Ben Grimm/ The Thing
0000008328_20060920152402.jpg

A little ironic seeing as Tyrol recently had his head shaven on the BSG episode too. He'd make an interesting Ben Grimm. I'd sure vouch for him.

And yes Thing needs to be CGI. I'm sure Chiklis could have used MoCap while filming the previous films too. He would have still felt in character I'm sure.

He also wanted to set his FF film in the early 1960's, which I've always felt could be terrific and really set the FF apart from other hero franchises. Their proper origin would work in that context as well.

IF Marvel did an FF reboot, I would not want to see Doom in it for at least a movie or two. And just like Warner's is ignoring the Burton Joker with it's new one, Marvel could do the same when they got around to Doom. And again, I am happy to have the characters address their origin as needed, but I do not want to loose valuable screen time to retelling the same basic story.

Whether or not they re-do the origin, I agree that saving the all-Doom FF movie for later would be a good idea.

If they do a re-boot, somebody needs to hang signs all over the production areas . . . in large, bold lettering:

Dr. Doom Does NOT Make Puns

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"