Justice League What Sense Does it Make to Reboot Batman?

Nolan's Batman exists in a world where superpowered beings don't exist therefore Nolan's Batman only had the power to fight non-superpowered beings (hence the much smaller Bane, difficulty fighting dogs etc). Suddenly dropping the same Batman into a world where he'll be fighting aliens, monsters or other mythological characters would just be a jump too far for even the GA to accept. And no, being able to jump and land from impossible heights with the assistance of a cape glider just wouldn't cut it when taking on the same beings as the rest of the Justice League.

Also a study conducted by Ladbrokes (asking moviegoers about various comic book movies) found that out of 1000 people, only 25% said they'd want Christian Bale to return as Batman whereas the other 75% said they'd want a new actor to don the cowl. So yeah, that's waaaaaaay less than what a lot of people make out the GA want. I know 1000 people isn't a lot when considering how many people watch these films, but it's definitely more than anything else I've seen stating otherwise.

Yes we do. Bale is not returning. Lets give up on the delusion. It's obviously not happening.

No we don't. He just said that they never approached him. He only concluded that they won't pick him because they haven't talked to him. They haven't approached anybody yet as far as we know, so it doesn't mean he is out. The only thing that is truly out is Christopher Nolan's version of Batman.

Reboot Batman for this shared universe. Arkham style. Then in 20 years from this point, get Nolan/Bale back for Batman Beyond where Bale/Bruce is older and a young Terry McGinnis takes up the mantle.

That's what I would try out if I was WB.

No we don't. He just said that they never approached him. He only concluded that they won't pick him because they haven't talked to him. They haven't approached anybody yet as far as we know, so it doesn't mean he is out. The only thing that is truly out is Christopher Nolan's version of Batman.

What would be the point of using Nolan's Batman(Which is Bale) in something not related to that series?

Or do you mean they will still use that Batman, just not with Nolan?

I'm so glad we have another thread on whether or not Batman should be rebooted. We need a few more of these.

What would be the point of using Nolan's Batman(Which is Bale) in something not related to that series?

Or do you mean they will still use that Batman, just not with Nolan?

Yes, the latter thing you said. Dance with the Batman that brung ya (to paraphrase a Darrel Royal quote). Bale makes money for that franchise and I don't think it is sensible to make a change unless he fails in a performance.

Reboot Batman for this shared universe. Arkham style. Then in 20 years from this point, get Nolan/Bale back for Batman Beyond where Bale/Bruce is older and a young Terry McGinnis takes up the mantle.

I agree that we should reboot with a Batman similar to the Arkham series (with a strong Year One influence). I don't think we should ever go back to Nolan/Bale for a Batman series after that though. If a Beyond series ever happens, just use the Batman from the existing shared universe. I'm tired of changing continuities. I just want one character universe that we can stick with.

I would ****ing **** at the sight of Batman Beyond on the big screen.

I've always thought that nowadays Keaton or even Kevin Conroy should play old Bruce. Love Eastwood but I rather have a previous Batman.

Still Bale as the older Bruce? Love it.

DO THIS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

We can do that now with Michael Keaton as Older Bruce. :o

I might be in the minority here, but I'm not all that invested in Bale Batman.

It's much simpler to set up get a new Batman and universe than to try to coax Bale to return, and to try to tap dance around all the stuff that happened in the last movie.

TDKT doesn't need the WB/DC shared universe b.s anyway. If one Aquaman movie or Green Lantern or Flash movie is a big pile of ****, then it makes the trilogy look weaker. Any fluffy popcorn Justice League and it tarnishes the trilogy. Not saying that JLA wont be awesome, it could be, but it could be nothing more than great popcorn fun. Which is fine, but that kind of tone doesn't mesh with Nolan's movies. I don't see a problem with these Man Of Steel movies because it seems like the quality balance of emotion, serious characters and spectacle are there...maybe Wonder Woman and others will have that as well but can we honestly say that Flash or Aquaman is a guaranteed equivalent?? With that in mind, I understand why Nolan would be iffy. They put so much time and passion in each movie for Batman that each spin-off needs to be on par and I know Chris doesn't have faith in every single DC character like the fans do. I sure don't. I have faith in quite a lot but there's just as many that could end up being a corny piece of ****.

Let WB reboot Batman to fit like a glove with MOS and the rest.

Bale is not coming back. If they continue within the same universe; then it will follow the setup at the end of Dark Knight Rises with Robin taking over. The cake can be had and eaten too.

The reasons to reboot Batman in my opinion are to do a more realistic take on the character without all of the sci fi stuff from the Dark Knight films, and to be able to reboot the Joker as Batman's central villain for multiple films.

The Batman of the Dark Knight, with his batwing and exoskeleton technology, is the best fit for the Justice League.

In all honesty, what kind of sense does it make to NOT reboot Batman? I'm confused at the purpose of this thread.

In all honesty, what kind of sense does it make to NOT reboot Batman? I'm confused at the purpose of this thread.

You're not the only one.

But I guess people would prefer for an aging actor to return to a character who had his arc fulfilled (thus negating that three-movie arc) rather than taking a chance with a new guy.

You're not the only one.

But I guess people would prefer for an aging actor to return to a character who had his arc fulfilled (thus negating that three-movie arc) rather than taking a chance with a new guy.

aging actor? Bale is 39, and younger then Hugh Jackman, downey, and Mark Ruffalo and the same age as Amy Adams. He is also only 9 years older the Henry Cavil and Andrew Garfield. He is also younger then Michael Keaton was in Batman89.

aging actor? Bale is 39, and younger then Hugh Jackman, downey, and Mark Ruffalo and the same age as Amy Adams. He is also only 9 years older the Henry Cavil and Andrew Garfield. He is also younger then Michael Keaton was in Batman89.

Yes, but does one start out at 39 when they might be required to star in 3 more solo films and 3 Justice League movies at least? The answer is no.

All I can say is that the "Die Hard" franchise has been running longer than the Batman film franchise (if you exclude the films made before "Batman '89")... with the same actor in the lead role (so much for the argument of a new guy for the long run). I think it's more of a risk than it is a benefit to introduce a new Batman to a audience that is still familiar with a guy like Christian Bale who has been everyone's batman for the past 8 years. If the new guy doesn't fair well with audiences then you will have to reboot again, and that's time and money. In my opinion, it is stupid to not even approach Bale with an offer to star in the role for future films (even if it's for one or two pictures) knowing that the guy has made over $2.4 billion for you in the past. The minute a film like that fails people will be asking about that.

The Die Hard analogy doesn't work. Die Hard never closed off multiple doors. Batman has an entire expanded universe in the comics and Nolan greatly limited most of the potentials with that universe by ending TDKR in the way he did. If Bale's Batman comes back, he will be used solely for JL films and maybe will have a few appearances in John Blake/Batman films but won't be the main character. On the other hand, if they ever do more Batman movies in that continuity, John Blake will be Batman and most of the stories and interesting elements from the comics will not be possible to happen due to having an entire different character as Batman, having gotten rid of a lot of great villains (Bane, Joker, Ra's al Ghul, etc.), and the list goes on. No matter what you do with the Nolan continuity, you cannot continue doing Batman films without greatly limiting them in potential. The last thing WB will do is limit the story potential of their biggest superhero franchise.

The only way to bring Bale's Batman back to be the protagonist in future Batman films is to do an entire film whose only purpose will be to undo everything in TDKR. WB is not going to invest millions of dollars to make a movie that will only undo another movie. Not only they got better things to do with that time but they also don't want to ruin their relationship with Nolan. How do you think Nolan will react if WB told him that they literally plan to make a movie whose only purpose for its existence is to undo the last movie? Not too well. Heck, even a lot of casual moviegoers will probably be able to realize that such movie only exists for the purpose of undoing the last one.

I think the GA won't have a problem accepting a new Batman if he is written well + acted well. It's not like having a new version of Batman with a new actor playing him within a short time is anything new. Things have been this way since the early 1990's. Most people are already used to the idea by now. Everyone had to at some point in their lives adapt to the idea of a new Batman so soon regardless of the generation they are part of. For this reason, I would say Batman is the closest superhero to reaching Bond status in that regard. Plus, Christian Bale is not attached to Batman in the same way RDJ is attached to Iron Man or how Hugh Jackman is attached to Wolverine, or not even in the same way how Christopher Reeves is attached to Superman.

On top of that, I doubt people will mind if Batman is not only acted well but is written just like the prep time Batgod in the comics. That Batman will be a win with the audience IMO. The average moviegoer is not going to sit in theatres and say "What? They replaced Christian Bale with a Batman with awesome martial arts skills who is a detective genius and just took down a bunch of aliens by himself and made the alien leader his *****? This sucks!"

You're also doing the mistake of asking "What if" questions. There is no room for those questions. WB threw the chance of asking that question out the window from the second they decided to do a shared universe. A DC universe on the big screen is a big risk but like Marvel's universe was but the bigger the risks are, the higher the potential is.

If you waste time asking "What if the new Batman fails?", that is exactly what will happen because you will not be fully focused on creating a new Batman due to stress. The question WB should be asking themselves is "How can we reboot Batman successfully?" All successful comic book movies - Iron Man, The Avengers, The Dark Knight, etc. - they succeeded because the people behind them asked themselves "How can we..." questions as opposed to "What if...." questions. Many films with the "What if we fail mentality" end up failing. Superman Returns and Green Lantern were fails because of that exact mentality.

The Batman of the Dark Knight, with his batwing and exoskeleton technology, is the best fit for the Justice League.

I disagree. The genius Batman of the comics (AKA the "Batgod" for lack of better term) is the best fit for the Justice League. Batman's intelligence has always been the thing that made Batman able to stand next to Superman.

plain and simple, why TDK Trilogy Batman cant and wont appear in the Justice League, because his story is "DONE", its over, there is no moving forward with it.

As for rebooting Batman, a full out reboot is not needed but a simple rehash of the story to help introduce a new actor and the character into a larger world should be done.

You're not the only one.

Gordon-Levitt is 32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"