Arrow What should be the next Arrow?

The X-Files styled premise mentioned for Martain Manhunter sounds perfect. This and Wally West as the Flash,my Outsiders idea and a Batman series are what interests me most. Lots of potentially great choices here though.

how about Constantine it could hit wb's Supernatural audience
constantine.jpg

John-Constantine-vertigo-comics-9421974-600-908.jpg

Last edited:
So yeah this thread has been down a while but I wanted to show you guys something.

Back in post one I had a link to a blog where I talked about who I wanted the next Arrow to be (*cough* SHAZAM! *cough), anywho I sent the blog to tveverafter.com and not only did they love it but they posted it on the site. In fact it's on the main page right now.

Here's the link if you want to read: http://www.tveverafter.com/shazam-feature/

Just thought that was cool, carry on.

It would be cool if they did have several shows, which crossed over regularly like the comics. A wider TV DC universe.

Batman :o

But seriously it could work. I wrote a two-part pilot for a Batman show called 'Gotham' and from the responses I got from screenwriter friends I'd say it was pretty good.

I had like, nine seasons planned out and all, lol.

I did think "Birds of Prey" had a lot of potential!

Glad people are still posing ideas for this.

I'm still for SHAZAM personally but given the success of Arrow it would be interesting to see what DC might do next, Flash might not be a bad idea.

MMCBM: Batman won't happen in live action, the cartoons are the only thing they'll allow. I too wrote an idea called "Gotham" but as a more mature cartoon version in the vein of Batman: TAS. Like to see what you think. Also I'd like to hear why you called your script "Gotham" i have my reason which you can read in my blog, I'd love to hear your reasons.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/guardianike33/2012/07/17/gotham-the-next-true-batman-series/

Keep your ideas coming!

Here's some theories building off of some previous suggestions:

As an immediate spin-off of Arrow with roughly similar creative vision and budget: Suicide Squad. A twisted variation of the A-Team with one very big difference: all members are guilty of the crimes they are accused of, and their varying sentences are being carried out as commandos against extraordinary criminals (other super-criminals who may be shanghaied into the Squad later) and foreign terrorist networks (Kobra cult, Society of Shadows). Main members go by their comicbook identities as code names, recurring characters are also identified by codenames in briefing and debriefing. Deadshot, Cheshire, Boomerang, Plastique, and others are paired with Rick Flagg Jr. and Sergeant Rock as the basic team. Deathstroke is a freelancer often employed by the team. Crosses over with Arrow occasionally. Since it involves more obscure characters, lawyer problems should be nil. Superpowers could be introduced later, especially so wrongfully convicted Nathaniel Adam can become Captain Atom. Lots of potential in Deadshot's as bad boy archetype for CW Tweens, Atom and Plastique could also have immense UST.

As an ideal companion series and expansive action hero show: Gotham Knights. Basically, a Batman show with a large lack of Batman and a heavier focus on his supporting family, especially with Nightwing as the main protagonist, while Tim Drake is Robin at first with Barbara Gordon as either Oracle or Batgirl, with Spoiler and Black Bat being growing characters introduced in the first season. Antagonist are mostly limited to more obscure (Firebug, Scarface, mobsters, etc.) or more stable villains (Penguin) who could have a justified continued presence. Bigger and more iconic villains saved for special occasions (Joker limited to one episode during sweeps week, Ra's as Halloween special) and fewer villains made season long antagonists (Harvey Dent is initially cured and tries to help heroes before a villain pushes Two-Face back to the fore, Jason Todd is Big Bad of second season as Red Hood). As seasons progress, Nightwing could potentially become Batman, Tim Red Robin, etc. Biggest problem is both quality of production and lawyer permission to use characters: Batman, who would be a veteran campaigner and distant father figure, would have to actually appear occasionally.

You have a shot with Suicide Squad but Gotham Knights has no shot. Live-action is too lucrative as a movie franchise that they won't risk doing something like that.

Here's some theories building off of some previous suggestions:

As an immediate spin-off of Arrow with roughly similar creative vision and budget: Suicide Squad. A twisted variation of the A-Team with one very big difference: all members are guilty of the crimes they are accused of, and their varying sentences are being carried out as commandos against extraordinary criminals (other super-criminals who may be shanghaied into the Squad later) and foreign terrorist networks (Kobra cult, Society of Shadows). Main members go by their comicbook identities as code names, recurring characters are also identified by codenames in briefing and debriefing. Deadshot, Cheshire, Boomerang, Plastique, and others are paired with Rick Flagg Jr. and Sergeant Rock as the basic team. Deathstroke is a freelancer often employed by the team. Crosses over with Arrow occasionally. Since it involves more obscure characters, lawyer problems should be nil. Superpowers could be introduced later, especially so wrongfully convicted Nathaniel Adam can become Captain Atom. Lots of potential in Deadshot's as bad boy archetype for CW Tweens, Atom and Plastique could also have immense UST.

As an ideal companion series and expansive action hero show: Gotham Knights. Basically, a Batman show with a large lack of Batman and a heavier focus on his supporting family, especially with Nightwing as the main protagonist, while Tim Drake is Robin at first with Barbara Gordon as either Oracle or Batgirl, with Spoiler and Black Bat being growing characters introduced in the first season. Antagonist are mostly limited to more obscure (Firebug, Scarface, mobsters, etc.) or more stable villains (Penguin) who could have a justified continued presence. Bigger and more iconic villains saved for special occasions (Joker limited to one episode during sweeps week, Ra's as Halloween special) and fewer villains made season long antagonists (Harvey Dent is initially cured and tries to help heroes before a villain pushes Two-Face back to the fore, Jason Todd is Big Bad of second season as Red Hood). As seasons progress, Nightwing could potentially become Batman, Tim Red Robin, etc. Biggest problem is both quality of production and lawyer permission to use characters: Batman, who would be a veteran campaigner and distant father figure, would have to actually appear occasionally.

I don't think the Suicide Squad idea would work if only because a number of said characters would fit and would likely be co-opted into Arrow. Indeed, Deadshot and Deathstroke are already major characters in said show and it would be strange and confusing to have the same character show up on different unrelated shows at the same time, portrayed by different people and actually be separate entities.

On a separate note, now that Injustice is out, with Aquaman being a complete baller in that game, I wonder if people could take the guy seriously enough for an Aquaman show to work. Throw in some royal court intrigue, and I think there might be something there.

Last edited:
Let me counter that, I think it would work. Certain shows do have spinoffs with characters that return to the original show. Now true it might be weird if characters like Deadshot and Deathstroke were played by different people, but what if they weren't?

And why should the show be a different entity? A.R.G.U.S has been introduced, Waller can't be far behind. Why not expand the universe on the dark side and have some fun?

Aquaman I am totally for.

Let me counter that, I think it would work. Certain shows do have spinoffs with characters that return to the original show. Now true it might be weird if characters like Deadshot and Deathstroke were played by different people, but what if they weren't?

And why should the show be a different entity? A.R.G.U.S has been introduced, Waller can't be far behind. Why not expand the universe on the dark side and have some fun?

Aquaman I am totally for.

The thing is that godisawesome's concept is very much inconsistent and incompatible with Arrow's setting. Aside from Deadshot deviating a lot from his established characterisation on Arrow and the presence of Deathstroke (whose existence is tied very much with Oliver's origin, with the Island, and with Arrow as a whole), he included characters like Captain Atom and Plastique - who have superpowers, while Arrow's setting doesn't.

I wasn't referring to that guys idea I was referring to the principal of having the Suicide Squad as a show. I think that idea would work. I remember the fantastic JLU episode "Task Force X" which was basically the Suicide Squad comprised of Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, Plastique (who didn't have powers) along with Colonel Flagg and the Clock King.

If they had a show with these characters (among others obviously) they wouldn't have to worry about conflicting with Arrow's world of no superpowers and it would be a completely different show than Arrow. That's all I'm saying.

When I called the Gotham Knights an ideal production, I meant ideal from my point of view, not from a realistic one. Heaven and earth would have to move before something like that saw the light of day as a TV show.

But mr. peasant, I think I honestly forgot to clarify some things that should show that the objection raised against the version I put forth aren't that bad. I completely forgot Plastique had any superpowers in the comics; I figured she'd be the team's explosive expert like on Justice League. Atom and other superpowers I figured would only be introduced if they were already brought into Arrow as a testing ground for the idea. I don't need Captain Atom, but with ideas like Amazon or an Aquaman show being tossed out again, I figured I could propose a superpowers route they could explore. And the characterization of the characters would be dependent on Arrow's version, so yeah, it would be Arrow's Deadshot instead of a more familiar Floyd Lawyon. But I figure you could use the show's premise to make the characterizations lean more towards the more faithful translations like Deadshot's last appearance.

Picture the team getting ready for a briefing. Flagg introduces a new recruit as the Shadow Thief, the task force's procurement and stealth expert. Flagg informs Thief he can't know anyone else's name in case he get's captured or goes rogue, and introduces everybody by their comic names. He then informs Thief they'll take him by their supply station later, where he can pick out some gear from the surplus and prototypes they've received second hand from better funded programs. Coincidently, Thief will pick a suit that's pitch black, while Deadshot still wears his red monocle and red vest, and Boomerang will have an Aussie bandana around his neck and a sloppy hat that looks like the one in the comics, etc. the briefing itself will specify target names as either assumed ones like Kobra, or assigned ones for secrecy, like Queen Bee of Bialya or the Bad Samaritan.

Thus you get characters with strong excuses to be called by their comic names and dress like their comic book versions.

Nightwing is getting a web-series but for an actual tv series it would be near impossible. I would still like to see it but I don't think it'll happen.

Somewhere there's a lawyer who's convinced bigger name characters like the Batfamily have too much potential for movies and mucho moolah at the box office to "risk" on a TV appearance that might "confuse" the audience or "dilute" the brand name of the characters, even though the character may have little chance of actually getting a focused picture at this time.

It's odd how the rule seems to be much more strictly applied with Batman properties than with, say, Superman. Superman's media appearances tend to overlap more than others, while Batman's legendary supporting cast became the victims of he Bat-Embargo on JLU. Apparently, Supes and co. Are easily differentiated but other DC characters aren't.

Okay, so it can't be Arrow. Honestly, Suicide Squad could be a season of Arrow, it's so much in the same vein that it overlaps a direction that Arrow could/should go. Same with Question, who, as stated, works better as a supporting character, and can be fully explored, arguably, in 10-20 episodes, as opposed to... 100.

It can't be Gotham Knights, cuz the Bat-embargo. WB is very protective about it's cash cow. If Superman makes a billion dollars, the Superman-embargo will be just as strong. This goes for all the heroes who potentially have films: WW, Flash, Green Lantern, even Aquaman.

The answer is, like Arrow: Leaguers (implies lots of stories and supporting cast) who will pretty much never get their own movie (implies no embargo or limits whatsoever).

So, that leaves:
Firestorm - great suggestion, his power to change matter invites too high a budget
maybe Aquaman - great suggestion, his otherworldly/undersea adventures push the budget
Martian Manhunter - actually could be great if you tone down his powers and use of them to Smallville levels. I'd be very interested in that.

But for me, the perfect one, that Leaguer who'll never get a movie, and his powers fit in a TV budget:

Cyborg
We've already seen shows like this, in Million Dollar Man, Jake 2.0, and in a way Chuck and Kyle XY are made of the same superhuman stuff. You have this guy who's now plugged into the internet all the time, who has this swiss army knife built into him, and a bunch of people hunting him for his unique tech. Pull together a hacker/big brother conspiracy group, and attach it to some of the more affordable Justice League/Teen Titans villains. Basically, give him the storyline from the recent Young Justice cartoon. Speaking of, a lot of Teen Titansy stuff can be worked in here as guest spots, and of course, a lot of cool visuals and ideas as we have this human computer balance that all of us are kinda going through anyway.

Bruce Wayne's travels.

Season 1: Gotham University - Bruce's first year of College, his relationship with Harvey Dent, knowing basic martial arts, finding out about the corruption in the city and his company, finding out that his parent's killer was never found, and becoming obsessed with the criminal underworld.

Season 2: GCPD/Law School/FBI - Bruce's journey as he tries to fix the city through the system. Tries different things, settles on the FBI which ends up disappointing him.

Season 3: France - Bruce's training with Duccard

Season 4: Asia - Bruce's ninja training in the east.

Etc etc.

Dr. Cosmic: I do agree with you on most of your points. I think a lot of people want the Suicide Squad in Arrow and with Deadshot already there and A.R.G.U.S mentioned I think it might be a possibility.

As sad as it sounds Question should only be a supporting character, which is actually what I have him as in my SHAZAM! idea. He appears every once in a while to help out Billy or to ask for help.

Cyborg is an intriguing idea depending on how they do him. The costume would be the only problem in my eyes because it has to be on him all the time. The rest I think is fine.

I do like the idea of having Teen Titans mixed in tot he show. In my SHAZAM! idea I have Raven as a recurring character and one of my episode ideas is that she meets Starfire and introduces her to Billy and hilarity ensues.

Nightwing,
basically use the same type of villains as arrow to make the Bat-embargo less of a threat
Deathstroke as the bigbad

^I love NW too, but Arrow is already using all of the Arrow-type villains. :/

BlackMagicWolf, thanks man. I personally wouldn't have Cyborg's armor as an exoskeleton. It would have to be more like a terminator type thing, though with metal bits sticking out in places that are often covered with clothing so that he can have all that angsty stuff going on. Perhaps the exoskeleton we know of in the pilot that he sheds by the end of it...

And yeah, the teen titans is pretty rich, great room to pull cool stuff from, and Batson, being a kid, actually works with that pretty well. I like it.

Starman. They already had groundwork for it years ago. Just follow up, tweak it for a more up-to-date audience and go nuts. At its core it will be a Legacy story about the Knights (Ted, David and Jack), how David dies and how Jack takes up the Cosmic Rod.

Costuming and casting should be simple enough.

I have changed my mind.
If a Batman reboot is a little way off, I think a tv show would be a great choice.

With the constraints of live action tv, it offers alot of chances to do more detective stuff
Could really flesh out the GCPD and have Bullock & Montoya.
You can also have alot of development for supporting characters like Alfred, Gordon, Barbara, Dick.
later seasons could add Huntress and Batwoman
Being on the CW, relationships would definitely be a focus point. Selina & Talia romance would be perfect for the channel's audience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"