The Winter Soldier What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

I enjoyed this film but man I had a lot of problems with it as well. My first huge beef is the faking of Nick Fury's death. Hahaha so effin stupid, grow some balls and Marvel and kill someone off, quit with this stupid faking crap.

I didn't read any spoilers so I actually thought for a second he was actually. It seems in Marvel, If you are a "hero" you can get your head cut off it would get frozen, reattached and you would just show up on a beach.

5,086 Helicopters were lost by the US Army alone in Vietnam. This doesn't include The losses by other branches of the military or other types of aircraft. Did that stop the military from continuing to build and use them?

The Falcon flight gear proved highly effective against the Super Helicarriers, that were supposed to be many times more dangerous than anything the enemy has to offer. So no matter what direction you take it in, the film didn't give a convincing explanation.

That Samuel Wilson is (seemingly) the sole surviving candidate from the Falcon project and that the project is shelved suggest the Falcon flight gear is pretty much a fledgling design, a prototype as opposed to a helicopter and other developed, multigen military tech. The material and human resource cost probably outweigh any feasibility of mass production.

Last edited:
So, you think that even though private citizens have their own armories, the director of SHIELD wouldn't have access to weaponry and protective devices outside of SHIELD's HQ... This while the film shows that he has a hiding place. You think that was his only one?

And no, Fury wouldn't have been wearing the armor prior to the attack. But he would have gotten hold of something to protect himself. It doesn't have to be armor- but made some type of effort to protect his life, if only for reasons of national security. No one- not Cap or the Black Widow were more equipped than Fury to get to the root of what was happening. And yes- I know it's Cap's movie, and he ultimately has to handle the situation, and be at a disadvantage. So that's not my argument. My argument is that I'd like to have seen the scenario unfold without spotting redflags at every turn.

I never said that he didn't have other private stashes, and he very well could have. However, he was obviously being tracked down by a small army and he had quite a lot of injuries including multiple broken bones. His choices seem pretty obvious: Stumble to a hidden bunker and leave everyone in the dark or let Captain America know that something is wrong with Shield before he is tracked down and killed. Had he risked not making it to Cap, and not made it to him, we'd be looking at a lot more than the destruction of Shield.

And this isn't comic book Nick Fury. He doesn't have a hundred hidden bases all over the world to fall back on with LMDs and high tech gadgetry. The hidden base he went to at the end of the movie, on his own fruition with no one tracking him, had very little. You'd think if he had one with better equipment, he'd probably have taken himself there to prep for whatever comes in Europe.

5,086 Helicopters were lost by the US Army alone in Vietnam. This doesn't include The losses by other branches of the military or other types of aircraft. Did that stop the military from continuing to build and use them?

The Falcon flight gear proved highly effective against the Super Helicarriers, that were supposed to be many times more dangerous than anything the enemy has to offer. So no matter what direction you take it in, the film didn't give a convincing explanation.

As others have pointed out, the Falcon program seemed rather small (not even BW knew about it), which means that there wouldn't have been many to begin with. Many test and small programs are cut for various reasons in real life. Sam's conversation with Cap and BW let us know that there's only one Falcon suit left under heavy guard at an Army post, which makes it pretty clear that they weren't making any more of them or (probably) using them any more. It's not a gigantic military aircraft used by thousands to wage war. It was a single person unit meant to infiltrate into dangerous missions, and the lack of knowledge by anyone else about it indicates that there weren't many people to use them or that knew about them in the first place. Apples and oranges.

Last edited:
The main thing I did not like was the "created by" credit for Joe & Jack - the type face was noticeably smaller than all the other credits around it - WTF?

Also, later in the end crawl during the "special thanks" section where guys like Stan Lee and Gene Colan were listed, Kirby should have been listed here as well, since Zola is solely his creation and he figured so heavily into the story.

It's more a "nitpick" than anything,but I find it hard to believe Cap would check out Wargames before Star Wars/Rocky etc.:oldrazz:

About the flaws of the action scenes:
1. The action scene on the lemurian star and on the helicarriers have some poorly staged fights: enemies don't fight back, it seems they're there just to get beat up; some moves are telegraphed; they have some ****** editing because we see some snippits of things that were apparently left out.
2. The final battle between bucky and cap should'va been more epic. It kinda felt like the battle between red skull and cap at the end of TFA. It needed more time, more dialogue, more struggle. It fell flat.
About the writing and directin':
1. the structure of the final act is way off. Too many jumps. It kinda took us out of the strugglings moments. we get war/battle and then dialogue between pierce, widow and fury. It has to more clear to the audience what the mood is in that part of the film.
2. Some characters are irrelevant, such as garry shandling's and sitwell. They don't add anything to the story. What sitwell said to cap and widow could have been easily been said by zola. As a matter of fact, it would'va had more impact. Those characters only wasted precious time that could'va gone to cap's out of time ( i remind that this is the second we get the man of out time scene gettin' cut from a film, the first one was in avengers) bit and fighthin' scenes.

Basically just one thing.
Considering it's a film called CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, there was a definitive lack of Winter Soldier in the film.
Bucky has an awesome backstory and Sebastian Stan is just fantastic. They could have delved so deep into why actually happened to him, but instead they give us, in total, about three seconds of only mildly useful flashbacks! What the hell?!

It was clear that the main antagonist was HYDRA, and I have no problem with HYDRA. It's simply that in every Marvel film, the problem always seems to threaten the entire world or universe and it's the hero's job to fix it.

They need to make a more personable film. Just Cap, and Bucky. Sure you can have Peggy and Widow and Sharon and Falcon and Fury, but make the story about what it's called!

The advert for it was so misleading. It showed practically all the Winter Soldier scenes and in fact, very very little of HYDRA.

It being a Captain America film sure, I expected maybe some mention of HYDRA, BUT WHEN THE DAMN FILM IS CALLED THE WINTER SOLDIER, THE WINTER SOLDIER IS WHAT I EXPECT TO GET!

It mislead me and though it was a good film I couldn't help but feel a bit downhearted afterwards. Damn.

My biggest issue with The Winter Soldier was....it ended. :p

I thought the movie was overall wonderful, but I have a couple of nitpicks. Well, one is more of a question, actually:

- The European scientists at the end were a little too pulpy for my tastes. They would've fit in better in CA1 but felt rather out of place here.

- I didn't understand how BW managed to avoid being burned by the badge Pierce pinned to her chest.

I LOVED the peggy scene, very emotional and the CGI makeup was great, but I wish there was more scenes with her just because that scene was so good. In interviews etc we know that Steve visits her often, but I think they could have made that more clear in the film because the first time I watched it I thought to myself if this is the first time he is visiting her or has he multiple times and they could have made that more clear with maybe Steve saying to the doctor "how has she been this week?" or something like that.

Also at the end of the film, I was wondering what happened to Peggy, did she die? will she be in Cap 3? I think they could have made that more clear especially with Sharon. Maybe a scene of Sharon visiting her or Peggy's funeral in Cap 3? It's interesting where they go with the whole Peggy & Sharon subplot.

She shorted it out by zapping herself with her wrist thingy

It was actually one of those shock disks like she used to temporarily disable the Winter Soldier's cybernetic arm.

It was actually one of those shock disks like she used to temporarily disable the Winter Soldier's cybernetic arm.

I assumed those were an alternate function of the same device.

I just thought of one other thing I didn't like: the device that BW used to imitate the councilwoman's face. I couldn't figure out how the device worked and since we've never seen anything like it in a Marvel movie before (I don't think) it felt rather deus ex machina-ish. I know it's silly to complain about realism in a superhero movie but there you go.

She shorted it out by zapping herself with her wrist thingy

Oh, okay I guess I missed that.

Why didn't pierce use the badge on The world security counsel when black widow attacked the hydra agents instead of after she uploaded all of shield's secrets to the internet?

Why didn't pierce use the badge on The world security counsel when black widow attacked the hydra agents instead of after she uploaded all of shield's secrets to the internet?

His phone was on the table you could see. He picked it up later when BW was focused on the computer

I didn't pick that up till watching a second time. the little on screen details

"The Winter Soldier" is thought to refer to both Steve and Bucky. That is, unlike the "sunshine soldier" Thomas Paine referred to in 1776's 'The Crisis' - people who will only be strong when it's easy - Steve is willing to fight even when it's difficult.

We'll be seeing LOTS more of Bucky and his story in Cap 3.

"The Winter Soldier" is thought to refer to both Steve and Bucky. That is, unlike the "sunshine soldier" Thomas Paine referred to in 1776's 'The Crisis' - people who will only be strong when it's easy - Steve is willing to fight even when it's difficult.

We'll be seeing LOTS more of Bucky and his story in Cap 3.

Soooooooooo...is that a criticism? :huh:

CA he a good man, but kept waiting for the snow to come and put on a coat. He sure loves the older ladies.

I do agree that Falcon's wings/suit deserved some kind of (brief) explanation. I hope we get some more info in a future one shot or in cap 3 or even an MCU-tied cb. Or a deleted scene if one exists.

Oh, and why didnt sam and frodo use the giant eagles to fly to Mt. Doom from the very beginning? What up with that?

Also how do we know Fury didn't have a gun? he was driving around in an armored vehicle.....fired a grenade launcher and freaking machine gun out of it after just breaking his arm and suffering a car accident.... sled the scene to the home of someone who thought he could trust and then a rifle powerful enough to pierce a concrete wall hit him multiple times and he lived. how do we know any armor he had didn't slow the kinetic energy and cavitation ability of the rounds?

My assumption was/is that Fury is always wearing at least light anti-ballistic protection. Perfectly plausible that whatever he was wearing afforded at least some protection and minimized the damage just enough to keep him alive.

You know what I didn't like... those electric batons that seemed to be powerful enough to melt through feet of concrete for Fury to escape his truck, but didn't get used for anything else but maybe stunning people. That's a super weapon, on par with a lightsaber. That was weird.

I also didn't like the fact that Hawkeye didn't get a mention.

I also didn't like how these helicarriers went down over a populated city and Cap was okay with that. One of those things would have most like landed in that suburb and eradicated it. Also, Cap's need to destroy them at once was a bit weird. He was strangely okay with casualties, as though he had somehow embraced the idea of acceptable losses, which would have been cool if they developed that.

Three things wrong out of ninety seven they did right? Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"