The Winter Soldier What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

My first huge beef is the faking of Nick Fury's death. Hahaha so effin stupid, grow some balls and Marvel and kill someone off, quit with this stupid faking crap.

I didn't read any spoilers so I actually thought for a second he was actually. It seems in Marvel, If you are a "hero" you can get your head cut off it would get frozen, reattached and you would just show up on a beach.

But it's totally ok when Jim Gordon does it in The Dark Knight because OMIGOSH CHRIS NOLAN YOU GUYZ

You know what I didn't like... those electric batons that seemed to be powerful enough to melt through feet of concrete for Fury to escape his truck, but didn't get used for anything else but maybe stunning people. That's a super weapon, on par with a lightsaber. That was weird.

I also didn't like the fact that Hawkeye didn't get a mention.

I also didn't like how these helicarriers went down over a populated city and Cap was okay with that. One of those things would have most like landed in that suburb and eradicated it. Also, Cap's need to destroy them at once was a bit weird. He was strangely okay with casualties, as though he had somehow embraced the idea of acceptable losses, which would have been cool if they developed that.

Three things wrong out of ninety seven they did right? Awesome.

1. I gathered what Fury used to burn through the ground (shown supposedly on AOS first - I don't want the show anymore) wasn't what they were using on Cap in the elevator. But even if they were the same item used in the Elevator scene they were trying to capture Cap then, not kill him. Just as he was trying to knock them all out but not kill them - otherwise he probably could have disposed of them quicker.

2. Eh

3. They all went down over the Potomac, with one crashing into the Triskellion which seemed to be alone on the island. We also see them calling for an evacuation of the building.

If they hadn't been destroyed there was a potential for Hydra to retake control. They were completely manned by Hydra and it was a matter of switching chips to change the targeting system. If they hadn't all fired on each other then how would Cap and company have taken them out of commission before Hydra retook control and turned the targeting system back on.

Last edited:
You know what I didn't like... those electric batons that seemed to be powerful enough to melt through feet of concrete for Fury to escape his truck, but didn't get used for anything else but maybe stunning people. That's a super weapon, on par with a lightsaber. That was weird.
Two different items. What Fury (and Hill later) used to escape out of the SUV/Van was a different device than the stun batons used by Rumlow & his goons in the Elevator (and Hill against the one dude in the Van). AoS touched on the portable laser (plasma?) cutter in "Turn, Turn, Turn" when they used it to escape the Bus after they'd been forcibly brought to The Hub. There's the following exchange between Fitz & Garrett:
Fitz: It's called The Mouse-hole, cuts through anything really. I designed it a year ago and submitted it for testing but it never reached distribution

Garret: Top agents always hog the good stuff

I also didn't like the fact that Hawkeye didn't get a mention.

I also didn't like how these helicarriers went down over a populated city and Cap was okay with that. One of those things would have most like landed in that suburb and eradicated it. Also, Cap's need to destroy them at once was a bit weird. He was strangely okay with casualties, as though he had somehow embraced the idea of acceptable losses, which would have been cool if they developed that.

Three things wrong out of ninety seven they did right? Awesome.

the plasma torch Fury used to cut a hole and the stun batons were not the same thing....not even the same size and color or shape 0.o

They aren't missing it so much as outright ignoring it and hoping no one notices. It's an extremely aggravating double standard.

Gordon, Fox, Alfred, BRUCE, Selina and "Robin" didn't die in TDKT. I don't see why Marvel gets criticised for not killing their main characters while Nolan doesn't. I understand the criticism but it isn't exclusive to Marvel.

Before people bring up Rachel Dawes I'd like to point out Frigga died in TDW and I'd say she was as popular among the GA as Rachel was.

What CBMs need more of (apparently): more dead people, and kill all heroes.

Killing off characters can be tricky. It seems you hear some people say they want certain directors/writers/studios to "grow some balls" and kill off certain characters, but if you do something like off Cyclops in X-men, people go friggin berserk.

Killing off characters can be tricky. It seems you hear some people say they want certain directors/writers/studios to "grow some balls" and kill off certain characters, but if you do something like off Cyclops in X-men, people go friggin berserk.

Sometimes, I think its bad faith advice from hostile fans.

Sometimes, I think its code words for "fridge the love interest."

What CBMs need more of (apparently): more dead people, and kill all heroes.

49505427.jpg

But it's totally ok when Jim Gordon does it in The Dark Knight because OMIGOSH CHRIS NOLAN YOU GUYZ

I don't mind when characters fake their own deaths like Fury and Gordon did. I draw the line at actually killing a character and then bringing them back to life a la Coulson and Professor X. Sucks all the dramatic interest out of future movies if the writers can just bring the dead back to life with pseudo-science.

Just saw it for the 3rd time and damned if it doesn't still hold up beautifully. Still noticing cool little details. Widow: "those things really do sting..."

But I think I have a flaw to report. When our heroes are captured by rumlow and co after the bridge battle how does cap get his shield back afterward? Wouldn't hydra have confiscated such a valuable item?

I don't mind when characters fake their own deaths like Fury and Gordon did. I draw the line at actually killing a character and then bringing them back to life a la Coulson and Professor X. Sucks all the dramatic interest out of future movies if the writers can just bring the dead back to life with pseudo-science.

Are you cool with curing severe spinal injuries with NOTHING AT ALL? Cuz I totally am. ;)

Or how about when a character miraculously survives a thermonuclear explosion? I'm also cool with that.

I thought the movie was great.

But.... if there was one thing that bothered me personally it was Falcon. I thought Anthony Mackie was great as Sam, but once he started fighting with those wings:doh:? I couldn't help but be pulled out of the movie. I don't know why but it rubbed me the wrong way.

Just saw it for the 3rd time and damned if it doesn't still hold up beautifully. Still noticing cool little details. Widow: "those things really do sting..."

But I think I have a flaw to report. When our heroes are captured by rumlow and co after the bridge battle how does cap get his shield back afterward? Wouldn't hydra have confiscated such a valuable item?
My personal assumption is that, given how restrained they had Cap (how thick the metal was that was encasing his wrists, his legs were heavily shackled to the seat he was sitting on AND there was a large metal bar around his torso as well) that they felt him restrained enough so the shield, and Falcon's wings for that matter, were probably in the same vehicle as them and they were able to get them when they escaped the van.

That's my take on it, anyway.

1. I gathered what Fury used to burn through the ground (shown supposedly on AOS first - I don't want the show anymore) wasn't what they were using on Cap in the elevator. But even if they were the same item used in the Elevator scene they were trying to capture Cap then, not kill him. Just as he was trying to knock them all out but not kill them - otherwise he probably could have disposed of them quicker.

2. Eh

3. They all went down over the Potomac, with one crashing into the Triskellion which seemed to be alone on the island. We also see them calling for an evacuation of the building.

If they hadn't been destroyed there was a potential for Hydra to retake control. They were completely manned by Hydra and it was a matter of switching chips to change the targeting system. If they hadn't all fired on each other then how would Cap and company have taken them out of commission before Hydra retook control and turned the targeting system back on.

1. Point taken.
2. Everything on my list is kinda eh.
3. That's what I'm saying, if I shoot three flying machines over the potomac, what is the chance of them all landing in the potomac, or even near it? Why did the only one to make landfall hit the plot-relevant building? It's crazy convenient.
4. True

Two different items. What Fury (and Hill later) used to escape out of the SUV/Van was a different device than the stun batons used by Rumlow & his goons in the Elevator (and Hill against the one dude in the Van). AoS touched on the portable laser (plasma?) cutter in "Turn, Turn, Turn" when they used it to escape the Bus after they'd been forcibly brought to The Hub. There's the following exchange between Fitz & Garrett:

the plasma torch Fury used to cut a hole and the stun batons were not the same thing....not even the same size and color or shape 0.o

Really? I remember dark grey sticks with blue lightups in both cases. Regardless, if it can cut through feet of concrete and steel quickly and is super-portable... sounds like a lightsaber waiting to happen. I guess Fitz isn't the weaponizing type. -shrug-

:funny:

Good catch! I never even noticed till now.

Are you cool with curing severe spinal injuries with NOTHING AT ALL? Cuz I totally am. ;)

Nah, I wasn't cool with that.

Or how about when a character miraculously survives a thermonuclear explosion? I'm also cool with that.

He ejected and put the plane on autopilot long before the bomb exploded. :yay:

To survive the worlds smallest thermonuclear blast that can't hit something less than a quarter mile away! ;)

I just checked online, the device Fury uses to cut through his car and the road was smaller, looked different and produced a blue spark/flame on top. The stuns batons were longer and looked like, well batons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"