White Privilege

I say no, often, it's a privilege to be non white.
This has come up a couple of times, yet somehow no examples were given.

Give the following a ponder.
The pressure to avoid it is great, for in facing it I must give up the myth of meritocracy.
If these things are true, this is not such a free country; one's life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own.
My skin color was an asset for any move I was educated to want to make.

There is some validity to this idea. It boils down having less preconceptions thrust on you because of your race. It's logical that people in the majority have greater experience interacting with one another so it's harder to form and sustain prejudices, even subtle ones.

Minorities often struggle to be seen as individuals with unique ideas and traits rather than part of some collective, racial mindset. That manifests itself in a plethora of ways.

By no means am I suggesting that white skin means a free ride. Everyone deals with some stereotype whether it's gender, national/regional origin, size, age etc..but race is one that is negated, on the whole, for caucasians.

I would say there is such a thing as white privilege, but I think it extends to every race. When I was in my sophomore year of high school, there was literally less than 20 white kids at that school. Some of the teachers would always side with the black kids for no other reason than that they were black, other teachers would side with white kids for the same lack of reasoning. The funniest thing was that none of them tried to hide it. But none of us really cared because it all balanced out in the end. I've seen cops of various races do the same thing and potential employers and even random people on the street. It's all so ridiculous.

I agree with alot of what X-Chick said.
In alot of areas (most to be honest), white privilege is a very real thing.
Though, it is a reality in the general (entire north american) sense, the degree of privilege for a given race is, in my opinion, directly proportional to the make up of that area. For instance, when living in suburban Detroit I noticed a lot of things that could be considered "white privilege". Though with all the time I spent in Detroit proper I could see the same things going on (for the most part), for the black community.

I will openly admit that white privilege exists (to a much larger extent than privilege for any other minority) in the general consensus. The thought of it sickens me but for different reasons than most. The idea of "race" in general is something that really bothers me. Being a "true equalist" (as i call it), puts me in that position (to be bothered) quite alot. But that is a topic for another discussion I guess.

I agree with alot of what X-Chick said.
In alot of areas (most to be honest), white privilege is a very real thing.
Though, it is a reality in the general (entire north american) sense, the degree of privilege for a given race is, in my opinion, directly proportional to the make up of that area. For instance, when living in suburban Detroit I noticed a lot of things that could be considered "white privilege". Though with all the time I spent in Detroit proper I could see the same things going on (for the most part), for the black community.

I will openly admit that white privilege exists (to a much larger extent than privilege for any other minority) in the general consensus. The thought of it sickens me but for different reasons than most. The idea of "race" in general is something that really bothers me. Being a "true equalist" (as i call it), puts me in that position (to be bothered) quite alot. But that is a topic for another discussion I guess.

Me too. I hate to be identified as such because the concept is antiquated and flawed.

Me too. I hate to be identified as such because the concept is antiquated and flawed.

It has absolutely no biological validity, unfortunately it has some very real social consequences.

Also I see what X-Chic and thedeadite mean by it being a contextual thing, but because the U.S. and Canada are White settler colony, all the major institutional frameworks of society are permeated with White Privilege, and that's when upward mobility starts getting pretty damn hard.

Black folk that have been living in Detroit their whole lives might more or less be trapped there, because even if they had the means they might have a much harder time moving to a suburban area, or even wanting to put up with the stigma that would be attached to them thereafter.

It has absolutely no biological validity, unfortunately it has some very real social consequences.

Also I see what X-Chic and thedeadite mean by it being a contextual thing, but because the U.S. and Canada are White settler colony, all the major institutional frameworks of society are permeated with White Privilege, and that's when upward mobility starts getting pretty damn hard.

Black folk that have been living in Detroit their whole lives might more or less be trapped there, because even if they had the means they might have a much harder time moving to a suburban area, or even wanting to put up with the stigma that would be attached to them thereafter.

No doubt. It's not a scientific reality. However, it's a very real socio-political reality.

No doubt. It's not a scientific reality. However, it's a very real socio-political reality.

Exactly, I sometimes feel that I expect too much from society. A "perfect world" scenerio you could say. This won't stop me from sticking to my beliefs, just puts me in the position to be aggravated by a lot of things that I really can't do anything about.

http://whiteprivilege.com

Daily effects of white privilege as noted by Peggy McIntosh.

http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac/emc598ge/Unpacking.html

Please support your responses.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

Black people have a section of the paper like that. It's called the police breifs :o .

I kid. Seriously, this lady sounds like a racist. But, she's a "good" racist that uses her racism to reflect the evil of racism. That list is bull**** and each point could be said about blacks as well.

Is there racism in America? Yes. Do white people go through life getting everything handed to them because they are not black? No.

The white right? It's common sence,anyone who is of European origin in America can do anything they choose. Asians can,but it mostly goes to whites. Sad..but it's the unwritten law of the land.

I hope you where just joking, because that is utter bull****.

But how minimal is that compared to not having to worry that your skin colour will affect you getting a home , an important loan, or even a job.

A lot of the racism perpetuated by white people these days is a more subtle, hypocritic form then the old hate racism of before.
A form of it is called "polite" racism, which would be something like a black man going to look for an apartment, the landlord saying the spot has just been taken, even though it hasn't.
It's racism even though it isn't as blatant as "blacks need not apply".

See, black too have some privilege. Anytime something doesn't go their way, they have the privilege of blaming their skin color.

Yes, we do represent our entire race when one of us does something wrong. No one ever says, "those stupid ass white people" when one of them does something stupid. Well, when they kill themselves during bungee jumps...I do. :o

That raises an interesting point...I hear a LOT of generalizations about white people and I certainly hear things like "those stupid ass white people" all the time, but you don't hear it in as public of a way as you would with minorities.

I agree. I see and hear white generlizations all the time. And I hear it publically as well. I was called white boy plenty of times in high school. It wouldn't fly the other way around.

Everything is given to whites. This is why some get "bored" and do these crazy things,they even act like blacks. Or degrade themselfs.

Again, I hope that was sarcasim. I've never been giving anything because I'm white.

I can think of a few reasons.
-White people are sort of afraid to be interpreted as racist.

Meh. I'm not a racist, but I'm not going to cry if something thinks I am.

-They feel the idea is preposterous and don't even want to contemplate it.

My views are based on experience, and not because I was taught something based on ignorance. I'm old enough that I don't have to contemplate anything.

-They might have to face up to the fact that some of their accomplishments were aided by the fact they were white, they didn't totally earn it.

That's bull****.

-Feel White Privilege is just an excuse for "others" shortcomings.

It is.

-Think that affirmative action makes the validity of White Privilege moot.

So, getting something based on your skin color is good as long as your not white?

-Lack the commitment of even reading the points.

I've read them. Most aren't worth commenting on.

-People in general find the subject to be an uncomfortable one, so they rather stick to humour.
... etcetera

I stick to humor because I find the subject a joke :yay:

This thread won't die because it is irrelevant, but because people choose to ignore its importance.

Racism is important, but the idea of white privilege is absurd. Just another way to demonize white people.

I understand it does, but some people who have voted obviously deny their privilege, so if you could, as a brown person, clarify how you continuously face White Privilege, maybe it would enlighten some.

I can understand if it's too personal.

So, if you don't believe that you have some sort of special privilege because of your skin color, you are in denial? That sounds pretty racist.

It's no more antiquated than being identified as short/tall, fat/skinny. You are what you are, and you should never be ashamed of it.

Speaking of that, why is being proud to be white seen as having racist undertones, yet black pride is seen as being empowering.

And if you guys are so offended/against the idea of race, do you feel we should get rid of black history month, kwanzaa, MKL day?

spanish people aren't complaining like this .

Kinda a broad point isn't it. I don't know about this white race thing, it's weird for me cause where I'm from it's more about religion than race (Ireland) and how you get along with a group is much more dependant on that. I.E. a black catholic would be fine in a green neighborhood where a white protestant would not.

I've never really considered "white" to be a race to begin with, same with "black". Go to a great deal of africa right now, and see just how little race similarities matter when there are other differences to kill over.

Simply put, people like to be inclusive to a group. They'll always find a way to ostracize people not fitting in, skin color is just an easy way to accomplish it since you don't even have to ask a question to determine where someone fits in. If everyone had the exact same skin color there wouldn't be the slightest bit less prejudice in the world. All that would change would be what people were prejudiced about.

Maybe white privaledge does exist, I'm sure some places are very demonstrative in showing it. I'm sure the same could be said about other races in other parts of the US or world though. But for it to "benefit" you, you'd have to basically only associate with very small minded people that share your view. So in order to take advantage you have to only associate with others that were like you and completely ignore anything coming from any other groups. That in itself, has some massive negatives for most people, so I think in the end you make your life what you want it to be. Make it about race and eliminate the majority of the accomplishments, innovations and history of the rest of the earth. So you lose that, but gain security and acceptance benefits. Sounds like anything else in life. You get to make choices, then live with them.

Let's focus on our differences and racial stereotypes in a negative manner to drive us further apart as human beings! WHOOOOO!!!!! :up:

jag

There is some validity to this idea. It boils down having less preconceptions thrust on you because of your race. It's logical that people in the majority have greater experience interacting with one another so it's harder to form and sustain prejudices, even subtle ones.

Minorities often struggle to be seen as individuals with unique ideas and traits rather than part of some collective, racial mindset. That manifests itself in a plethora of ways.

By no means am I suggesting that white skin means a free ride. Everyone deals with some stereotype whether it's gender, national/regional origin, size, age etc..but race is one that is negated, on the whole, for caucasians.

Well in the past people of certain races formed collectives to back each other up and use strength in numbers as they are a racial minority in society. This worked well in when vast members of society was against that racial group creating an us against them mentality.

Although now I think this mindset is outdated, dangerous and alienating in todays times. Its more likely to stop progress.

Thats why I hate it when people try to use a spokes person for an entire race of people who are individuals with their own dreams, ideas and aspirations. People need to think for themselves and not be afraid to go against the rest of the pack.

Well in the past people of certain races formed collectives to back each other up and use strength in numbers as they are a racial minority in society. This worked well in when vast members of society was against that racial group creating an us against them mentality.

Although now I think this mindset is outdated, dangerous and alienating in todays times. Its more likely to stop progress.

Thats why I hate it when people try to use a spokes person for an entire race of people who are individuals with their own dreams, ideas and aspirations. People need to think for themselves and not be afraid to go against the rest of the pack.

Going against the pack is good, in theory. But in the real world we all know some point we stood out from everyone and had dire consequences, sadly. Depends on how strong you are.

I started this job, working 16 hours a week.
My boss was a gay, Black man.
His boss was a Black lady.

Gay, Black guy is gone, I took over.
Black lady is still my boss.

She makes 50 times what I make.
The gay, Black man made more than I make now, even though I have the same amount of experience AND, it's empirical fact that I do a better job than he did.

She and I do the hiring.
We both interview, I offer my thoughts, but she has the final say.
If we have a White applicant, and a Black applicant, she will A.L.W.A.Y.S. hire the Black one, even if the White one has a ton of experience, and the Black one has none.

ALWAYS

Since I'm "security", I have to deal with homeless people all of the time.
Here, there are way more homeless White people than Black people.
Both my Mom and my Dad worked...HARD, but we were still poor.
I grew up around poor White people.
Top Ramen city, man.

Please, tell me where I'm supposed to report to pick up all of these White privileges, please.
Thx. :up:

white privileges only get you this!

NeverGonnaGiveYouUp03.jpg

Its pretty bad if you think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"