Who Is Composing?

Discussion in 'Captain America: The First Avenger' started by VenomVsSpidey, Sep 26, 2010.

1. The Watcher Otherwordly Witness

Man, I'm repeating the tracks from This Is My Choice through to Captain America March and it's getting better every time.

And for the strangest reason, the very very start of Captain America March reminds me of the Disney Fantasmic Light Show.

2. galmorzu Demonlord of Evil

Same here. Those last few tracks are fantastic.

3. MahvelBaby! Registered

Does Captain America's march play in the movie? And if so...is it freaking epic? :p

4. DesertBat86 Registered

Anyone else getting major goosebumps from the Captain America march???

Sounds incredible!!!!!

5. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Definite goosebumps

6. galmorzu Demonlord of Evil

Please, just get it out of my head! Make the music stop! *sobs* :funny:

7. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I absolutely loved the Captain America's theme and The Star Spangled Man

Captain America's Theme

Star Spangled Man

8. Hurm... Registered

The main Captain America theme was in my head the whole time after I left the theater. Great score and very memorable.

9. SuperSoldier985 That's Funny

I really really liked the score in this..

I know some people wanted more to his theme, something more memorable, but I feel that's something that the movies will have to grow into by themselves.

I've been humming it since I saw it on Thursday..

10. hitmanyr2k Resident Lurker

I listen to a lot of movie scores/soundtracks so I can usually pick up on certain cues composers constantly use. This score was pretty good and for the mostpart unrecognizable but then that one piece of music hit me and I knew instantly it was Alan Silvestri doing the music. I can't remember which part during the movie it was (had to be an action scene) but there was a part of the score that screamed "Predator" to me...so much that it jarred me out of the movie for a few seconds to contemplate who did that score lol.

11. SuperSoldier985 That's Funny

Oh god, I love it!!

Some people said the theme wasn't memorable, but "themes" are something that grow over time. I think it's clear that if this movie was made in the 1970's and it had music like this, it would be highly regarded still to this day. It'll grow on more people.

12. CelticPredator Registered

Silvestri is my all time favorite...he didnt disappoint..

13. herolee10 No More Miracles

After listening to "This is My Choice" again, I think it's definitely one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

The part that I enjoyed most about that piece starts at the 2:18 mark and goes on till the the 2:50 mark.

Note: The part that starts at the 2:30 mark till the 2:37 one is the strongest part of it for me.=)

14. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

After seeing them both in context of the films I think I'd just ever so slight an edge to Doyle's Thor score over Silvestri's Cap one. But both are damn good. However, I am firmly convinced that Menkin's "Star Spangled Man" song should at the very least get an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song and unless something comes out of the blue in the next 5 months then it should absolutely win it.

15. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Loved this bit from the end credits:

[YT]Wp8mvZX9uas[/YT]

16. hitmanyr2k Resident Lurker

It took some hunting but I found the music I was looking for. Listen to 0:53 - 1:00. That one musical cue was all I needed to hear to know it was Silvestri composing :yay:
    [YT]sUJz--OiSVU[/YT]

Which sounded very similar to 0:40 of this.
    [YT]eJ5JrfqWRsU[/YT]

17. Elevator Man Registered

Finally got around to listening to this. Had it sitting in my room for almost a month. I thought the score was good. Though I thought it was nothing really special in the film. Just GIJOE leftovers. Only the leftovers was actually better than Silvestri's own GIJOE score. It takes a while for the score to kick into highgear. But once it does it's a lot fun. Though I have to admit that some cues probably work better with the actual film. B/c if you haven't seen the movie it might be confusing to know what's going on. Luckily I saw the movie the weekend it came out. The score really grabbed my attention during the tracks "Vitarays" and "Captain America We Did It". I was really engaged during the tracks "Troop Liberation" -"Captain America" (Basically tracks 14 -25). Which is the rest of Silvestri's score opn the album. The action music though bombastic at times have a lot energy and are well written. Though it's in the same vein as his GIJOE score. I prefer his action writing from this than GIJOE.

Some quibbles. I don't think Silvestri's Cap. theme was used at it's advantage. It's just played mostly "heroic" and "triumphant". That's about it. Silvestri really didn't play with the theme like Elfman did with his Spider-man theme for his Spider-man scores, for example. Red Skull really didn't have a strong villain theme or a villain theme at all for that matter. Steve and Peggy didn't have a love theme. The cd could loose a few track mainly in the beginning. It would make a better listening experience. It's no big deal. The album missed the "Captain America March" that played during end credits, but that's WDR's fault. It also missed the track where Cap. is in the present day at Times square. I remember that track being pretty "powerful" and really captured Cap's reactions and feelings in that moment. Shame it wasn't on the album. Also I was hoping this would stack up to Horner's Rocketeer score, but didn't, imo. It also doesn't come close to Williams ROTLA score. (I know what does?) But Johnston (during pre-production and filming) said Raider's was an influence throughout the production of Cap. But the film and score really didn' live up to that at all.

Despite all of that. I still think Cap is a fun score. And better than most of his action scores in the past few years. Probably as good as his Beowulf score. But the score is just Silvestri good not Silvestri great, imo.

18. Elevator Man Registered

Found this. Took place at the Vienna Film Festival. Hollywood in Vienna 2011, ORF Radio-Symphony . Where Silvestri was the Max Steiner awardee. This also took place in September I believe. Where he also indicated that he was scoring "The Avengers".

[YT]srnxYb-hbK8[/YT]

19. Elevator Man Registered

I was just listening to this. And after I finished. I happened to see (as I type this) the Veterans Day Ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery playing on TV (as I type this) in the living room. I forgot today's Veterans day. Good timing.