The Avengers "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Thor" - Part 4

Don't know about that. Take the DC character Vandal Savage for example. He's immortal and he can't be killed.

Same with Solomon Grundy. Bizzaro last attempted to kill him by flying his body into the sun during Blackest night but he'll probably be back.
SGRNDY-Cv2.jpg

disagree. He exited the cage. He was going faster than the cage was since he escaped the bottom of it. Thus landing atleast as hard he would have, have he stayed in the cage.

Thor's durability in the MCU is absolutely ridiculous. weve yet to see him show any real signs of pain

That's absolutely not true,and it makes no sense. He was struggling hard to escape the cage so that he wouldn't land on the ground at full speed.
He did it so, flying in a direction almost perpendicular to the one he was falling.
Of course that the vertical component of the speed was so huge that he still hit the ground hard.

That's absolutely not true,and it makes no sense. He was struggling hard to escape the cage so that he wouldn't land on the ground at full speed.
He did it so, flying in a direction almost perpendicular to the one he was falling.
Of course that the vertical component of the speed was so huge that he still hit the ground hard.
Yeah, the whole reason he was so desperate to escape the cage was because directly colliding with the Earth like that would have seriously f***ed him up. Flying out sideways saved him, if not from death, then from serious injury.

Wolverine survived something similar in Astonishing X Men :o

Yeah, the whole reason he was so desperate to escape the cage was because directly colliding with the Earth like that would have seriously f***ed him up. Flying out sideways saved him, if not from death, then from serious injury.

Exactly. It would seriously injury or kill him, so he used a bit of basic physics to help him. The notion that he flew in the same direction of the fall is almost insane. :woot:
He's tough, no doubt, however we shouldn't forget he needed to avoid the shots from the jet and he was injured by Loki's blade later.

Exactly. It would seriously injury or kill him, so he used a bit of basic physics to help him. The notion that he flew in the same direction of the fall is almost insane. :woot:
He's tough, no doubt, however we shouldn't forget he needed to avoid the shots from the jet and he was injured by Loki's blade later.

That scene would have been so much better if he would have just collided with the ground in the cage. They they could have done a cut way and tricked us into believing he was dead. Then when we revisit him He should have just burst through the cage unharmed. It just would have been cooler to see him walk out of a crater.

That seen would have been so much better if he would have just collided with the ground in the cage. They they could have done a cut way and tricked us into believing he was dead. Then when we revisit him He should have just burst through the cage unharmed.

The problem is: he wouldn't (and shouldn't) have escaped unharmed.

The problem is: he wouldn't (and shouldn't) have escaped unharmed.

When i say Unharmed I'm not talking about the "I'm invincible so i take 0% damage" kind of unharmed. I'm mean the DBZ kind of "Wow that seriously hurt but its just a drop in the bucket of what i can take" type of unharmed. He shows pain and external damage but he gets back up and keeps on truck-in like it was nothing.

watch the whole thing but listen to 2:20 -2:50
[YT]MQYBAGvYbbo[/YT]

Last edited:

Yeah that was stupid though, because Loki took machine gun bullets without flinching at the beginning of the movie.

Also, IM's Mark III armor was able to take jet bullets IM1 and Thor was CLEARLY shown to be even more durable than IM's Mark 6 armor in this film. I like to chalk it up to Thor either not knowing what the jet bullets would do to him or not wanting to get sucked out of the helicarrier.

Oh my God, I suggested this very same thing in the Thor forums months ago! I mean it would be too cute to see both brothers playing brothers in a Thor movie.

Except that Balder is shorter than Thor and Liam is taller than Chris. :oldrazz:

Except that Balder is shorter than Thor and Liam is taller than Chris. :oldrazz:

Not the first time a short character has been played by a tall guy though. Remember Hugh Jackman and Wolverine? Height is a rather frivolous nitpick for some awesome casting.

According to IMDb, Liam and Chris are the same height. Of course, it's IMDb...

Yeah that was stupid though, because Loki took machine gun bullets without flinching at the beginning of the movie.

Also, IM's Mark III armor was able to take jet bullets IM1 and Thor was CLEARLY shown to be even more durable than IM's Mark 6 armor in this film. I like to chalk it up to Thor either not knowing what the jet bullets would do to him or not wanting to get sucked out of the helicarrier.

I think loki should be able to take machine gun bullets but I think the energy from his staff deflected those bullets. I remember when he was being shot at there was a blue bubbling field around his body. I could be wrong. I've only seen the movie once.

I think loki should be able to take machine gun bullets but I think the energy from his staff deflected those bullets. I remember when he was being shot at there was a blue bubbling field around his body. I could be wrong. I've only seen the movie once.

The bullet reflection could also be because of the armor Loki was wearing too.

More a controlled landing than if he had still been in the cage, mind. Also lower speed, since he had started to fly. It was a crash landing, rather than a crash, IOW.

He didn't fly, he pushed himself straight out of the cage which was already angled so he merely hit the ground at an angle.

Nah it wasn't, I've seen the movie three times that was merely the sparks from the gun fire.

The bullet reflection could also be because of the armor Loki was wearing too.

Nope, Loki was wearing his "casual" Asgardian attire during that scene not his armored outfit.

According to basic physics he didn't do a thing to help him, apart from landing on soil instead of metal. He jumps out (if he flew he would have landed further away from the cage, nor would he have landed head first) sideways, which does absolutely nothing to change the force downwards. The only way he changes the speed of his fall is if he jumps up.

But, as I always say, the laws of physics shouldn't be taken into account too much when superheroes are around. For example, things like Hulk punching the leviathan would cause Hulk to fly away because he has so little mass compared to the leviathan, and the force he's producing. And even if he didn't fly away he wouldn't have been able to cause enough traction with his feet to slow it down like he did.

To be fair, jet fighter ammunition is a lot larger than a machine guns.

Personally I love the comment Loki made before Thor dropped ..... something like "The humans think us immortal. Shall we test that out?" ..... putting a doubt in just what the humans know about Asgardians and the status of their vulnerability.

Thor probably got out of the way of the Jets bullets simply because he didn't want to get hurt. Who says that just because you're bulletproof, bullets don't hurt at all? And why get shot if you don't have to?

Mjölnir;23220977 said:
According to basic physics he didn't do a thing to help him, apart from landing on soil instead of metal. He jumps out (if he flew he would have landed further away from the cage, nor would he have landed head first) sideways, which does absolutely nothing to change the force downwards. The only way he changes the speed of his fall is if he jumps up.

But, as I always say, the laws of physics shouldn't be taken into account too much when superheroes are around. For example, things like Hulk punching the leviathan would cause Hulk to fly away because he has so little mass compared to the leviathan, and the force he's producing. And even if he didn't fly away he wouldn't have been able to cause enough traction with his feet to slow it down like he did.

But in the matter of physics, wouldn't Thor have dissipated the energy from traveling at terminal velocity by exerting force in another direction and bursting from the cage? Whatever amount of energy built up would be mostly have been spent by bursting out of the cage, right? It would be like dropping a ball from a roof, then hitting it before it touched the ground. The ball would then hit the ground with only the force you applied to it because the force from the fall was exerted when you hit it.

To be fair, jet fighter ammunition is a lot larger than a machine guns.

Jet guns can be upwards of 25mm, while most assault rifles are 5.56mm or 7.62mm. The jet rounds are larger and travel much faster than small arms. Most likely, it would have stung Thor quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"