Why Can't DC Get it right? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losers, Jon Hex, that's just this year. What is so hard about making a great Superman movie? It's 2010! I hope Green Lantern kicks butt so they (Warner Bro) gain some confidence in the source material. I know I could come up with a good Superman movie ... they made Avatar for like $400, I think.

Keep his Blue uni exact as comic and give him a real foe, lose that looser Luther. Then ACTION, ACTION, ACTION. Drop Lois, make the treat world wide and progressive.

Dark Knight was good, but I enjoyed Batman Begin's more. I needed to know what made this Joker so unbeatable.

Love the Green Arrow ideas about the prison. Make it already.

I think WB is over analysing. Pay the writers that understand the characters to start writing. Superrvise the Producer & Director, is it that hard?

How would you turn things around?

TDKR has 15 reviews in at RT and it is sitting at 100% fresh. They certainly know how to make troll proof Batman films. I will tell you that.

Losers, Jon Hex, that's just this year. What is so hard about making a great Superman movie? It's 2010! I hope Green Lantern kicks butt so they (Warner Bro) gain some confidence in the source material. I know I could come up with a good Superman movie ... they made Avatar for like $400, I think.

Keep his Blue uni exact as comic and give him a real foe, lose that looser Luther. Then ACTION, ACTION, ACTION. Drop Lois, make the treat world wide and progressive.

Dark Knight was good, but I enjoyed Batman Begin's more. I needed to know what made this Joker so unbeatable.

Love the Green Arrow ideas about the prison. Make it already.

I think WB is over analysing. Pay the writers that understand the characters to start writing. Superrvise the Producer & Director, is it that hard?

How would you turn things around?
:dry: Wow thread manager! Way to re post dude's post despite him posting it 2 years ago and it's stated in his post! :argh:

I don't think anyone would disagree that WB can get Batman right (they also can get it very wrong in BF and B&R). I also think MoS looks very promising, and I'm a fan of the Superman mythos so it's important to get that one right as Superman is one of the few superheroes who is also a cultural icon.

The question for WB is characters like Green Lantern and Wonder Woman, etc. I think Movie Bob hit the nail on the head when he said that Marvel is going to be making a film about a gun toting talking raccoon while WB is wringing their hands over Wonder Woman.

The Dark Knight trilogy, looks to be the first Superhero trilogy where the movie didn't run out of steam by the third installment (well technically Spider-man didn't run out of steam it just had too much studio interference from Arad and company).

Personally I think both methods have merit, and Marvel could probably stand to give some more creative control to some properties (namely Spider-man), but on the other hand what they did with the MCU would not have been possible without Kevin Fiege.

What bothers me is you have people that discount what Marvel accomplished based on what the Dark Knight has done. Apples and oranges. The Dark Knight is a crime drama set against the Batman backdrop. It's basically a modern day film noir. The Marvel films while some have been very serious in tone (Iron Man 1), are trying to bring the comics to life.

yeah, that's true.

and agree about feige. i think they had that in nolan, but he can't wait to be done with bats. they need to find that captain for this ship.

obviously, they've got confidence in batsy since its their one tried and tested dc/wb franchise. it all depends on what man of steel does.

Couldn't agree more Tony Stark. And it absolutely kills me when people use that quality over quantity argument. What quality has WB/DC shown outside of Batman? Jonah Jex, GL, and Catwoman are really the only true DC characters in the last couple of years that made it to film and they didn't do well at all. I don't know if you can count Watchmen but it wasn't a box office success either. I think Whedon was right when he said it's kind of hard to bring DC characters to film because they are kind of god like characters and the only one that truly does translate well is Batman and he's DC's most "marvelized" character. As much as people rag on GL, it wasn't that far from the comics and it had a great look and feel to it but it just missed the point. I can actually see Wonder Woman doing the same thing unless you get someone like a Whedon who can actually understand the character and translate it to film. I think the other character that DC has that would do well is Flash and his rogue gallery. Again, it has to be done right but this is WB we are talking about.

I pretty much give up on DC and live action. The problem is the directors chosen to take on these films don't seem to have enough respect for the source material and try to pull it too far away from the comic version. It's really not that hard to take a DC hero and translate it to the big screen and keep it mostly true to the source material...especially when it comes to the Justice League heroes....

I can't wait until some DC die hards try to come in and spin it like WB/DC is doing a good job with adapting their movies :whatever:

Anyway, it is a colossal shame that f***ing Rocket Racoon will be appearing in live action before Wonder Woman or Flash. In fact, and this is not to diss the characters or those who like them, I think it's a damn shame that GOTG in general are getting a film before Wonder Woman or Flash

I know WB (not counting New Line) has other franchises, but when you look at it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros.#Warner_Bros._franchises) their franchises are in kinda a weird postion. Hangover will, allegedly, end after the next film. Clash of the Titans is in a decline. Happy Feet 2 flopped. They are doing anything theatrically with Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry. However, Sherlock Holmes seems to be doing alright, Batman is going strong, Superman has a new film next year, so I think they should start looking for new franchises.

Superhero movies are often the most hyped and successful movies of the year. I dont know why WB is shying away from that kind of success

Anyway, it is a colossal shame that f***ing Rocket Racoon will be appearing in live action before Wonder Woman or Flash. In fact, and this is not to diss the characters or those who like them, I think it's a damn shame that GOTG in general are getting a film before Wonder Woman or Flash

i doubt even the most die hard Marvel fans would disagree with you here. How the flash and wonderwoman haven't ht the big screen yet is a complete mystery to me. You can make a case that prior to Iron mans emergence in 08, they were only behind Supes, Bats, Spidey and Wolverine in Gen audience popularity.

Superhero movies are often the most hyped and successful movies of the year. I dont know why WB is shying away from that kind of success

Probably because they haven't been able to get any right outside of Batman.

T"Challa;23870833 said:
i doubt even the most die hard Marvel fans would disagree with you here. How the flash and wonderwoman haven't ht the big screen yet is a complete mystery to me. You can make a case that prior to Iron mans emergence in 08, they were only behind Supes, Bats, Spidey and Wolverine in Gen audience popularity.

I'm a die hard marvel fan and even I would rather see a successful DC property other than Batman make it on the big screen before GOtG. Granted I'm gonna see it opening night, it's a marvel studios film after all, but I do think it's a shame that DCs stable of heroes has been virtually untouched (Flash, Wonder Woman, etc) or mishandled (green lantern, superman returns).
MoS has me very hopeful though. I think they've got a success on their hands, and hopefully that will kick off their on screen DC universe a la Iron Man.

I can actually see Wonder Woman doing the same thing unless you get someone like a Whedon who can actually understand the character and translate it to film.

I bet there were a few meetings to discuss Whedon's WW script from a few years ago after The Avengers hit. This project has been in development for nearly a decade, it's a shame nothing has made it to screen, although better no project than another GL type bomb I guess.

Anyway, it is a colossal shame that f***ing Rocket Racoon will be appearing in live action before Wonder Woman or Flash

It is kind of insane, isn't it. I'm still surprised Thor will make it on to screen 3 times before another Superman did.

One of the reasons that's been discussed many times is that WB simply haven't been highly motivated beyond Batman and Superman because they had so many other franchises and big movies whereas the MCU was the only thing Marvel Studios had, nor were they motivated to employ a DC version of Fiege or even any directors who have a vision for any of the characters except Nolan.They might now after TA and the end of HP etc.

The fact that they've had so much trouble getting 2nd tier characters off the ground is one of the reasons I'm sceptical of a "just throw them together" JLA movie. With a brilliant script it could work sure, but if you can only get a Batman trilogy off the ground then how are you going to handle 6 characters at once, 4 of whom need some kind of origin or intro far beyond what any of the Avengers needed, even if WW is a popular Halloween costume.

Last edited:
Honestly, I increasingly suspect the Nolan Batfilms are a fluke. Or rather, they aren't a fluke, they are the result of *Nolan's* talent, not any indication of WB's capacity.

Which is why I want to see how Man of Steel does, as while Nolan is involved, its a much more distant involvement.

Honestly, I increasingly suspect the Nolan Batfilms are a fluke. Or rather, they aren't a fluke, they are the result of *Nolan's* talent, not any indication of WB's capacity.

Which is why I want to see how Man of Steel does, as while Nolan is involved, its a much more distant involvement.

You can't be a fluke 3 times in a row. That's just a good production team helmed by a good director. Furthermore, The first two Tm Burton Batman film were great as well in their day. You can say the same for the first two Superman films. I think the mistake made with the Watchmen film was the "R" rating.

I can't wait until some DC die hards try to come in and spin it like WB/DC is doing a good job with adapting their movies :whatever:

I know WB (not counting New Line) has other franchises, but when you look at it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros.#Warner_Bros._franchises) their franchises are in kinda a weird postion. Hangover will, allegedly, end after the next film. Clash of the Titans is in a decline. Happy Feet 2 flopped. They are doing anything theatrically with Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry. However, Sherlock Holmes seems to be doing alright, Batman is going strong, Superman has a new film next year, so I think they should start looking for new franchises.

One thing that ticks me off, is I was reading in two reviews of TDKR today that they called Avengers and other Marvel films "childish and silly". Well yeah a giant floating snake around New York is a little silly, but that doesn't make people discount the movie.

I'm wondering in the board rooms at WB if the don't hear stuff like that and start discounting their own properties, especially when films like Green Lantern don't succeed.

It's really sad because, I like filet mignon, but I also like a good cheesburger. A filet mignon is not a cheese burger, is one better than the other? I don't know it's subjective. I also know that if filet mignon isn't cooked right it tastes like a piece of leather, and I'd never compare a gourmet burger from BJ's or Red Robin to something on the dollar menu at McDonalds.

Looking back through this thread, I find it weird that the OP got blasted for stating back in 2010 that DC's film output was inferior to Marvel's.
Granted today that notion is pretty much undeniable - Marvel is the studio to beat in terms of superhero movies, no question, but even back in 2010 you could've easily made the exact same argument.

yeah, the fluke was in the hiring of nolan. and that's why they need to muster all of that brain power into getting a guy who can helm the entire operation. someone to direct the jl film, as well as oversee the direction of the universe.

i can't see why MoS can't be their "Iron Man" in that it launches the rest of the universe. they don't have to throw all of the heroes a friggin parade in MoS, just mention in someway or fashion would be enough.

ЯɘvlveR;23872703 said:
yeah, the fluke was in the hiring of nolan. and that's why they need to muster all of that brain power into getting a guy who can helm the entire operation. someone to direct the jl film, as well as oversee the direction of the universe.

i can't see why MoS can't be their "Iron Man" in that it launches the rest of the universe. they don't have to throw all of the heroes a friggin parade in MoS, just mention in someway or fashion would be enough.

If it were up to me, I'd use Amanda Waller from GL in MoS to kick start the whole connected universe thing. Granted GL was a massive failure that next to no one in the GA saw, but they already got that ball rolling there so I say stick to what you've got instead of starting over from scratch.
And then down the line you make maybe one or two more solo movies that lead into the JL, using both Cavill and Reynolds.
I know that's probably an unpopular opinion but seeing as how they already have sank millions of dollars into the GL franchise they might as well try to use what they've got.

The fact that they've had so much trouble getting 2nd tier characters off the ground is one of the reasons I'm sceptical of a "just throw them together" JLA movie. With a brilliant script it could work sure, but if you can only get a Batman trilogy off the ground then how are you going to handle 6 characters at once, 4 of whom need some kind of origin or intro far beyond what any of the Avengers needed, even if WW is a popular Halloween costume.

Oh that's the number 1 reason I dont want them to just throw together a JLA film.
The logic for that is basically like if youre a boss and one of your employee keeps messing up so you give him more responsibility

You're probably right.

looking at MOS trailer from comic con it looks like wb may be on to something with it

it has the same touches of nolan's flicks of

character study
subtlety
emotional drama
beautiful cinematography
intriguing story

i like marvel films but the above elements is what makes the bat films and hopefully MOS have more meat on their bones than marvel studios

What I don't understand about WB is why don't they think long term? WW has been gone for so long from the public, they have to reintroduce her to the world. I say in a Batman movie because he's been their most marketed character or something. Then branch her out on her on. I just don't understand their thinking.

I really want to see a Booster Gold or Animal Man movie. :csad:

What I don't understand about WB is why don't they think long term? WW has been gone for so long from the public, they have to reintroduce her to the world. I say in a Batman movie because he's been their most marketed character or something. Then branch her out on her on. I just don't understand their thinking.

I really want to see a Booster Gold or Animal Man movie. :csad:
While I don't agree with introducing her in a Batman film I do agree the WB guys need to start thinking long term if they really want milk the DC universe for all its worth.

The question for WB is characters like Green Lantern and Wonder Woman, etc. I think Movie Bob hit the nail on the head when he said that Marvel is going to be making a film about a gun toting talking raccoon while WB is wringing their hands over Wonder Woman.

If they can manage to make that movie a success then you really have to hand it to marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"