Why make the ending so weird

S

SecretWarSpidey

I just watched SM 3 and i can't but wondering why the heck this happened:

Spidey had just defeated venom and harry just had died
suddenly a defeated sandman appears out of nowhere and explains what happed to uncle ben

this is were i get confused:

pete forgive sandy and then sand has this weird expression on his face like he is gonna cry and then he just kinda wisks away into the breeze.

so by now im thinking this is how it should have gone:

Spidey: I forgive you

Sandy: (looks like he is about to cry) You know what im to manly to cry and plus if i do i'l hurt myself(cuz tears are mostly water) so im just going to wisk away into the breeze for dramatic effect, kinda like the dragon from the never ending story, ok...

Spidey: Aw screw it... (throws pumpkin bomb at sandman) hell no!

Eloquent in its merciful brevity.

It's a very visual scene. Marko drifting away illustrates a release from all of the guilt he has had to bear.

Just looking at the writing of that scene tells you little about what's going on. Most of the delivery is in Maguire and Church's body language, specifically their eyes.

Sandman did kill Peter's uncle(even if by accident)because he was involved in a robbery. And later in the film he threatens people as well as robbing an armored truck. And whether he meant to or not,he put MJ's life in danger by teaming with a psychopath in Venom. He should have payed at least somewhat for what he's done. If not by death,then he should've given himself up to the police. Like he said in the film,"I'm not a bad person. I've just had back luck." I believe that. Marko is not a dangerous person,but he needed some sort of punishment for the crimes he did commit.

It's a very visual scene. Marko drifting away illustrates a release from all of the guilt he has had to bear.

Just looking at the writing of that scene tells you little about what's going on. Most of the delivery is in Maguire and Church's body language, specifically their eyes.

Marko should feel guilt though..he commits crimes and kills and tries to justify it because his daughter is sick. Im sure the people he probably killed in the Spider-Day celebration, and the army men he kills at the end are not, as a whole, worth more then poor wittle Penny. Sandman has no right to release his guilt, he should be feeling it in a 5X5 cell for life.

Peter had no right to forgive him and let him go either. Forgiving Uncle Ben's death is one thing..but the other families who lost people because of Marko?

Spider-Man is technically guilty of accessory after the fact by letting Marko go like that.

Poorly thought out ending, I agree with the original poster.

Marko should feel guilt though..he commits crimes and kills and tries to justify it because his daughter is sick. Im sure the people he probably killed in the Spider-Day celebration, and the army men he kills at the end are not, as a whole, worth more then poor wittle Penny. Sandman has no right to release his guilt, he should be feeling it in a 5X5 cell for life.

Peter had no right to forgive him and let him go either. Forgiving Uncle Ben's death is one thing..but the other families who lost people because of Marko?

Spider-Man is technically guilty of accessory after the fact by letting Marko go like that.

I agree with you and the first poster. And does all this agreeing seem tedious? Yes, because the constant forgiveness fest in spidey 3 was also. I can see where people thought the ending of the movie was nice visuall, but yeah makes no sense. Also what became of the money he jacked? Spidey knows theres always a better way. The spiderman most of us know wouldnt stand for stealing of money for any reason. Crime is cheap solution. The writing in general of spidey 3 blew ass.

More like lazy writing,I'd say.

Marko should feel guilt though..

He did feel guilty, though. That's why his atonement came at the end of the movie. :oldrazz:

Secret_Riddle said:
he commits crimes and kills and tries to justify it because his daughter is sick. Im sure the people he probably killed in the Spider-Day celebration, and the army men he kills at the end are not, as a whole, worth more then poor wittle Penny. Sandman has no right to release his guilt, he should be feeling it in a 5X5 cell for life.

Well, we don't know if he killed anyone else; that's just speculation. But I think the fact that his wife resents him, his daughter is going to die, and that he can't even kill himself if he wanted to is punishment enough.

Secret_Riddle said:

Again, it's not a fact that Marko killed other people. You're right in that it wouldn't be right for Peter to forgive Marko for killing other people, but the movie never says Marko has killed others.

WishIWasASnake said:
Yes, because the constant forgiveness fest in spidey 3 was also.

Just like the constant selfish/selfless fest in SM2 was tedious. :whatever:

God forbid a movie ever follow through on its theme.

Marko even said, "I wish I could take back what I did" or something like that. Blader5489, I really like how you said what you said and I agree with you.

Peter did have a right to forigve him because even though what Marko did was a bad thing, Peter remembered how his Aunt said, "revenge is like a poison. It can take you over, turn you into something ugly." Peter also realised that we have all done terrible things and it's the choices that make us who we are. Flint Marko didn't purposley shoot Uncle Ben, it was an accident. Peter realised that to. That really is some great story telling if you ask me.

I kind of wish everyone would stop getting mad at peter for letting him go, cause yeah he needed to go to jail, but think about it, he was SAND flying away! what could peter have done?!

so after Sandman is nearly killed by Spider-Man and he comes back, He realizes that he still needs money to help Penny, but Spider-Man keeps getting in his way so he knows he has to get rid of Spider-Man but realizes he cant when hes washed away so easily. Thats why he teams up with Venom.

as for the ending, yes it was a bit weak. Im assuming that Sandman watched what happened with Venom, Harry, and Peter and realized what he's been doing is wrong and finds out that the man he killed is Peter's Uncle and then ask for forgiveness and he understands why Spider-Man went after him. I also think Marko asks for forgiveness to get Spider-Man to stop going after him by telling him he didnt mean to kill Uncle Ben.

An alternate ending would have been more powerful with Penny coming and telling him to stop and thats when Marko would realize what he did was wrong and it makes Marko's story more believable to Peter and it stops Marko from committing more crimes.

And I really liked it when Sandman blew away. The image there was just so amazing.

Thank you Blader and Hero12.
Ha! Take that November Rain! Guess I’m not the only one who liked the ending in SM3.

But seriously, I see so many people who missed the point of the film or didn’t learn a thing. It’s so easy to punish someone. It takes a lot more guts to forgive them.
Yes, Sandman didn’t kill anybody but Uncle Ben. And he was penitent. So if one regrets his crimes and has the ability to bother no one anymore, such as sand cloud powers, why not let him go?

Which, in the real world, is called rehabilitation.
Right, sadly no real judicial system would see that way. That is bound by the system not by morals.

he was still guilty of the crime.
So what? I consider adultery just as heavy of a crime as theft, rape or murder. But that's not punishable by law in most countries, is it? That’s all subjective.

But in America murder, theft, and evading the police are all crimes punishable by law. That's what.

But in America murder, theft, and evading the police are all crimes punishable by law. That's what.
From our very childhood we are taught that you must pay physically for every mistake.
It's sad that we cannot be sure of the sincerity of a criminal's remorse.
But since in a movie we have the ability to look into a character's soul, we can be absolutely sure that Flint Marko is sorry. His daughter is going to die, he is a sand monster, his life will never be the same. If he doesn't hurt anybody, just let him be.
Instead of stubbornly following the system, why don't we learn to properly evaluate everything ourselves?

who cares if he's sorry. he committed a crime while attempting another. then he tries to commit another one. yes, he's a tragic character and we're supposed to fel sorry for him, but he has to pay the price. it's about taking responsibility for your actions, for better or worse.

Sandman: Hi I am Sandman, and I'm sorry. Time to go terrorize other parts of the city.

Spider-man: Ok, oh CRAP I forgot! Harry is bleeding to death!

Spidey: Bye Sandman. Go, fly away! Fly into the night!

who cares if he's sorry. he committed a crime while attempting another. then he tries to commit another one. yes, he's a tragic character and we're supposed to fel sorry for him, but he has to pay the price. it's about taking responsibility for your actions, for better or worse.
I care.
See, this system is all about retribution. You will never get back the things that were taken from you or your insurance policy will repay you. Either way that's no reason to deprive someone of the same and even more.
As long as we keep exercising this 'an eye for an eye' mentality we will never get past our caveman instincts.
Again, his daughter is going to die, for me it's just as bad as a death sentence. That's a price enough.
If Sandman was just like the Green Goblin or Venom, I might agree with you, since people like those may never learn from their mistakes. But in Marko’s case, the moral punishment is greater than any freedom deprivation.

So if you don't agree with the law...it's ok to ignore it and do things on your own terms?

So if you don't agree with the law...it's ok to ignore it and do things on your own terms?
No, all I’m saying is - if one is penitent and if he has the power to break free and never bother anyone ever again, I would let him go.
It's not about what you've done; it's about what we can do to patch those mistakes.
What SM3’s ending has done is show that real life lessons are about that it's not always 'tied up in a nice lil bow'. Most of the time you have to learn to live either with your grudge or guilt stones, and there are many packing up throughout your life. You just have to move on. The more movies would reflect that the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"