Winter Soldier: Bionic arm or not?

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by kaijunexus, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt STEVE HOLT!

i say no to domino mask.
    i think splinter cell/metal gear solid googles should be the way to go. In the context of the scene the goggles get damaged or there's a flash/flashbang and Bucky take them off.
    Cap - "Bucky?"
    WS - "Who the hell is Bucky?"

2. SingItWithMeNow

SingItWithMeNow Well-Known Member

3. The Epic Beyond

The Epic Beyond Active Member

There's no reason not to have a robotic arm. Iron Man has a full suit of armor. One robotic body part isn't that out there. My only thought would be to make a though different than the comics, where it looks like he borrowed it from colossus or cable. Winter Solder should look a little more mechanical and less technorganic

4. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

I agreed.

That's like Cap with no STAR on his chest.

5. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

Granted, Cap has had his star on his chest for over 70 years--so it has reached iconic status. WS has been around for less than 10 years, so the bionic arm isn't as important as Cap's star. Still, it would be awesome.

6. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Yes to bionic arm. He lost it falling off that train.

However, they should be careful with how they do the cyborg Coldblood in IM3 to be sure he's completely different than Winter Soldier. I'd prefer no one have to end up comparing the two.

7. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Just re-watched it, he appears to have both arms attached, but having the arm severed (or vaporized) would have been a nice touch. Bionic arm either way, some line about frostbite or whatever.

8. Changeling

Changeling Well-Known Member

A million times yes, we need the long hair and the bionic arm. The domino mask would be cool, but he didnt wear it as Bucky why would he need it as Winter Soldier?

9. Changeling

Changeling Well-Known Member

Youre full of awesome ideas dude.

What about when he fell off that train he was able to grab something on the way of falling but the force of the fall ****ed up his arm? Does that make sense? I did a bad job of explaining that

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt STEVE HOLT!

or a slab of sharp ice tore it clean off when he landed

11. Compi716

Compi716 The SHH! Jew

This right here is the most important quote from the entire Winter Soldier storyline. It really nails exactly what's transpired, and just how completely brainwashed Bucky is. I hope they keep it in the movie.

As for the bionic arm, it's tricky. One one hand, it's basically THE staple of the character, red star and all. On the other, is pretty "out there" by conventional movie standards, especially considering how it looks (ribbed silver). I mean, how do you make that work realistically without changing it to something more "RoboCop-y?"

Regardless, I have faith that they'll nail his look, as Marvel always has with its characters. Hopefully the script follows suite.

12. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

to put it simply, yes, because it's an iconic part of his physical character, there is nothing else to it, nothing to think deeply, and consider things. Its a part of his character, they need to do it. Period

13. Ultra Nolanite

Ultra Nolanite Well-Known Member

Make it like the destroyer from Thor, Or just Iron Man-ish if that's still too out there I suppose.

14. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

There's no end of ways they can do it. It's an arm and its a machine. That is all.

[​IMG]

15. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Yes to the bionic arm.

and this thread needs a poll.

16. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

literally, why wouldnt they do the bionic arm

17. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I guess people forget this will be set in the MCU. Who know?

18. MarvelKnight

MarvelKnight Well-Known Member

I think the mask would work. He is pretty much going to be a villain in this film, so it will add a bit of mystery (to those in the movie and people who don't know who WS is). I'm sure by the end of the film the mask will be off and the 'big reveal' of it being Bucky will be a "shock" to the characters and movie-goers.

Even if he is in a future movie I think should keep it as whatever he does would probably be top secret and a mystery to the public(whether its for good or he gets away and does his own thing). That would give reason to keep the mask as to not being identified.

I would like to see the Bionic Arm but I won't be surprised if they don't use it. Maybe his arm gets damaged in this movie if SHIELD actually captures him they fix him up with the robo-arm.

19. MarvelKnight

MarvelKnight Well-Known Member

I like that. What's it from, Cant tell.

20. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Finding out that Winter Soldier is actually Bucky would be a "shock" to exactly no one in the audience. His name is already in the title, and every geek or wannabe geek in the theater will have told everyone within listening distance that Bucky is the Winter Soldier. It'll only be a surprise to Cap and the rest of the characters.

21. The Question

The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

I think the domino mask works. Winter Soldier is a complete weirdo, after all. He's been systematically brainwashed for 70 years after receiving a massive head injury. It'd be weird if eccentricity didn't come included. It even makes sense in the context of the story. Captain America is known to history as the world's first super hero. It would stand to reason that Bucky is remembered in history as his side kick, and the mask would be his demented way of mocking the concept.

22. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

Can totally see them going a mix of a heavily damaged arm with robotic components woven in to fix it. It will look robotic with a bit of organic mixed in, but don't expect it to be the strips of metal that are marvel staple for cybernetic limbs ; see cable, forge, etc. cue 90% of this board having a temper tantrum until the film comes out, then they realize it works just fine.

23. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

A bionic arm worked fine in I, Robot where Will Smith only reveals halfway through the movie that he actually has a bionic arm (and that's the reason why he hates robots as well).

I think it wouldn't seem too hokey at all in this movie. Why should it, when the whole genre is about people with super powers?

As for the domino mask, I think he needs something at least to prevent Cap from instantly recognising him at first.

24. TheHeatKitchen

TheHeatKitchen Well-Known Member

I would go a two shock system. No bionic arm at first. He battles Cap, Cap uses the shield, beats him down with it and ends up removing his arm. He unmasks him, revealing he's Bucky. Crossbones or whoever attacks, retrieves WS, takes him back to HYDRAs base or whatever. Steve is distraught, emotional, etc. They meet and fight again, WS is nonstop attacking him, reveals the bionic arm (think the fight in the tunnel from I, Robot).

You get the emotional "surprise" early, and the action surprise late.

25. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I think you should get the action surprise first when Cap is battling WS. That will make him less likely to think it's Bucky. Then, when he does unmask him, the horror of the situation will hit him when he realises what they've done to Bucky. If nothing has been done in terms of mutilation and arm replacement, then it's not as big a horror to Cap.