Apocalypse X-Men: Apocalypse Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well......I grew up watching the turtles just like the Xmen cartoons back in the 80s/90s. I must admit seeing Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang is a bit nostalgic. I won't be seeing it but I can imagine many will check it out.

I grew up watching TMNT too. I have no desire whatsoever to check it out. Didn't even see the first one.

Well......I grew up watching the turtles just like the Xmen cartoons back in the 80s/90s. I must admit seeing Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang is a bit nostalgic. I won't be seeing it but I can imagine many will check it out.

I wont be checking it out either, but the last one made $65 mill opening weekend and almost 500 mill overall. Since then the Turtles have only gotten bigger. And I am hearing people, who didn't like the last one, have the same sentiments as you as this one seems more in line with the old show and that they'll check it out.

I dont the logic of people (not you Spiderine) saying that Turtles probably wont be big or at least dent X-Men's earnings

Last edited:
I grew up watching TMNT too. I have no desire whatsoever to check it out. Didn't even see the first one.

What are you basing it on that you don't think that TMNT is a problem box office wise for X-Men

Not at all. The reason some of these other folders are so ugly, such as X-Men and DC, is because many, many fans of those characters are angry over what they're getting and are lashing out.

Yep.

I'm not sure how it got that cinemascore rating, I guess from over enthusiast fans. BO should reflect actual WOM, but with the competition, we might never know.

Well, I've seen it 3 times (shocker I know :rolleyes: ) and if you're a casual moviegoer it plays fine. As a fanboy I know there were many opportunities missed and the story was a mess. But I still got two out three wishes fulfilled: Cyclops getting a backstory and pushed back to the center and a brilliant portrayal of Jean Grey.

My third wish fell flat. I thought with Halle Berry being gone it might be a new beginning, but with Storm they dropped the ball again (she was worshipped as a Goddess--why the hell would she be worshipping Mystique???--I can't even!). Then again I've been waiting for 16 years for Singer to do something meaningful with Storm. I've accepted the fact that that's simply not gonna happen. Ever. Not even sad about it like I used to be. I'm just numb...kinda like the fans of Rogue.

Yeah, with BvS I knew people who enjoyed it but I also knew some who were actually outright angry after that film.

With Apocalypse, there were some people who were disappointed in a few things here and there, and a couple guys were like "meh", but nobody was really angry to that BvS level and overall I would say most enjoyed it enough.

BvS had toxic WOM, Apocalpse really doesn't.

Yeah, I think many of us are just like "whatever" at this point. The film is serviceable. But it ain't tasty. It's like chicken with no seasoning: it may not be nearly as flavorful as it should be but you can eat it and it won't kill you. You just may not want seconds. :rolleyes:

:oldrazz:

Just in case this is still a box office topic I'll leave this here:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/x-men-a...s-memorial-day-weekend-box-office-1201763668/

7TH UPDATE, Monday 8:20 AM: Sunday figures are in, and 20th Century Fox along with several rivals see X-Men: Apocalypse pulling in a $65.3M three-day opening on track for an $80M four-day. Thanks to the holiday, most films in the top 10 showed small drops on Sunday between -1% and -12% from Saturday. X-Men was down -8% from Saturday, while Disney’s Alice Through the Looking Glass sank further with $8.1M, -11%. Disney now sees Alice 2 making even less than what they forecasted 24 hours ago: $27M FSS, $34.1M FSSM. That’s even lower than Tomorrowland‘s broken-down Memorial Day debut of $33M FSS, $42.7M FSSM

hell no! I would propably burst into flames walking into a Michael Bay movie...but whoever decides to go should get publicly shamed!

Worse than Tomorrowland. That is definitely not what Disney wanted to hear.

I wont be checking it out either, but the last one made 65 mill opening weekend and almost 500 mill overall. Since then the Turtles have only gotten bigger. And I am hearing people, who didn't like the last one, have the same sentiments as you as this one seems more in line with the old show and that they'll check it out.

I dont the logic of people (not you Spiderine) saying that Turtles probably wont be big or at least dent X-Men's earnings

There is no doubt in my mind turtles will put a dent into a film that had a weak opening holiday weekend. It feels like Xmen is headed for some big drops as will the turtles in its subsequent weekends. We should all be used to these drops which are very typical anyways with front loaded superhero films.

Same for me. These films aren't really supposed to be particularly good (artistic terms), just fun, and I'm sure they'll deliver on that. I don't know if I'll have time but if I do I'll see this in cinemas too.

There is no doubt in my mind turtles will put a dent into a film that had a weak opening holiday weekend. It feels like Xmen is headed for some big drops as will the turtles in its subsequent weekends. We should all be used to these drops which are very typical anyways with front loaded superhero films.

True

What are you basing it on that you don't think that TMNT is a problem box office wise for X-Men

You got that from what I said? LOL

I only asked how huge "huge" was for TMNT.

Last edited:

Coming after a low opening, I don't think the drops will be too crazy even if TMNT catches fire.

Who didn't see Alice tanking? Please raise your hand. Its been 6 years since the last one was released during that 3D craze. Were they expecting a billion again?

Who didn't see Alice tanking? Please raise your hand. Its been 6 years since the last one was released during that 3D craze. Were they expecting a billion again?

Everyone and their mom saw Alice tanking lol

There is doing worse than the first one. And then there is doing worse than Tomorrowland. I figured it would do poorly, but not this bad.

It hurts X-Men a lot. But, will it be huge like the last one? A few doubts.

1. A lot of sequels are doing poorly.

2. The social media numbers seem kinda weak for this.

It isn't going to drop that hard. It isn't getting that bad of a reception.

who cares about the United States anyways? Are we still living in the 1990s? :p

It isn't going to drop that hard. It isn't getting that bad of a reception.

I dunno. All three of my theater showings were less than half full. My Thursday night show was maybe half full. Folks don't seem to be showing up here.

Didn't Civil War have a steep 65% drop in week 2? If they can take that hit with glowing reviews AND an A CinemaScore how will this one fair better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"