Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never claimed that I saw the movie... That is why I said it WOULD be closer to Apocalypse... I didn't say it will. Its a freaking prediction. And given who's attached to write and direct, that's not uneducated prediction.

You probably think Dark Phoenix is going to be great...but you haven't even... Lol.:o

I've made no predictions, good or bad. Holding out on judgment until I see it. :)

You mean you read a report in October about production gearing up or it was actually filming in October? I say Fox should go all in on X-Force and include the X-men in that movie if they won't have time to make another X-Men, assuming Dark Phoenix doesn't put a cap on the series. I want this series to have a great ending.

Reported on THR in FEBRUARY 2018

Then there’s X-Force, which could be huge for Fox. Drew Goddard is still on board to direct, and THR reports that Deadpool 2 stars Ryan Reynolds and Josh Brolin are expected to star in the picture, which is aiming to start filming in October

Slugzilla from the new mutant section claimed there was a plan for New Mutants to appear in X-Force in a small part but we don't know if he was legit when he says he says he worked on the New Mutants film.

Its business as usual for FOX because there is no clear certainty of whats going to happen.

Last edited:
I've made no predictions, good or bad. Holding out on judgment until I see it. :)

Well you should use the comment "You haven't even seen the... Never mind.. Lol" to anyone who had good predictions to the film as well. But clearly you didn't do that.

So, the [blackout]Shi’ar were referenced in passing[/blackout] in the second episode of season 2 of Legion. The show does take place in the cinematic universe of the X-Men films, but it could easily just be a throwaway Easter egg for comic fans... but it could also be a reference to tie into Dark Phoenix! I hope it’s the latter.

Looks like James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain will star together again for IT: Chapter 2 according to reports.

nice.
would be great seeing the young x-men actors working together in other movies too. likely getting more screentime together than in these x-men movies.

So, the [blackout]Shi’ar were referenced in passing[/blackout] in the second episode of season 2 of Legion. The show does take place in the cinematic universe of the X-Men films, but it could easily just be a throwaway Easter egg for comic fans... but it could also be a reference to tie into Dark Phoenix! I hope it’s the latter.

I don't think it means anything. I don't think the movies even consider Legixn and The Gifted. Its just a small reference, just like Xavier was referenced/hinted in Legixn's first season.

Does it really?

what if the merger will let fox to continue making xmen films BUT they need to edit some of what they already filmed for it to blend more into the MCU? I guess Scarlet Witch could easily bring them into the MCU as easily as she has wiped most of them out in the comics (after House of M)

I mean, there is no mention of mutants in the MCU as of now. They'd need to come in from an alternate dimension, which would mean they'd either have an all new cast or we'd see a very familiar cast crossing paths with the Avengers. I don't know who else here would be thrilled to see some of Fox's X-Men walk in through a portal into the MCU.
  • Wolverine (Jackman)
  • X-23 (Dafne Keen)
  • Storm (Berry)
  • Rogue (Paquin)
  • Gambit
  • Cyclops (Marsden)
  • Magik (Taylor-Johnson)
  • Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page)
  • Iceman
  • Beast
  • Emma Frost
  • Colossus
  • Juggernaut
  • Magneto
  • Deadpool and others

That'd be more or less the roster I'd like to see as an X-fan and I know it's expensive but if Lawrence is getting written out, then could they maybe afford a few of these guys? I actually appreciate them in these roles. Plus, can you imagine the profit on something like that?

They at least owe us Jackman vs. Downey Jr. !!!

:xmen::xmen::xmen::xmen::xmen::xmen::xmen:

Last edited:
I don't think they're retroactively fitting Shi'ar into this movie. Replacing CGI Skrulls for the human-looking Shi'ar would likely take a lot of money and reportedly these reshoots aren't that expensive.

what if the merger will let fox to continue making xmen films BUT they need to edit some of what they already filmed for it to blend more into the MCU? I guess Scarlet Witch could easily bring them into the MCU as easily as she has wiped most of them out in the comics (after House of M)

I mean, there is no mention of mutants in the MCU as of now. They'd need to come in from an alternate dimension, which would mean they'd either have an all new cast or we'd see a very familiar cast crossing paths with the Avengers. I don't know who else here would be thrilled to see some of Fox's X-Men walk in through a portal into the MCU.
  • Wolverine (Jackman)
  • X-23 (Dafne Keen)
  • Storm (Berry)
  • Rogue (Paquin)
  • Gambit
  • Cyclops (Marsden)
  • Magik (Taylor-Johnson)
  • Iceman
  • Beast
  • Emma Frost
  • Colossus
  • Juggernaut
  • Magneto
  • Deadpool and others

That'd be more or less the roster I'd like to see as an X-fan and I know it's expensive but if Lawrence is getting written out, then could they maybe afford a few of these guys? I actually appreciate them in these roles. Plus, can you imagine the profit on something like that?

Lauren Shuler Donner has a deal for the X-Men rights with distribution given to Fox, in the event of Fox being purchased, it isn't inconceivable that her deal would allow for the rights to be transferred. In fact, that's probably it. There'll be paperwork to make an official transference, but, yeah, Ia gree with you... I don't see X-Men and Avengers being as epic as it could be if it isn't with a team that has lineage to the X-Men we were introduced to way back in 2000.

Yes, that is epic. But are you saying that transferring the rights does not mean they can keep part of the cast? Could they go both ways? Either recast or keep the cast?

I don't imagine they'd want to let Ryan Reynolds go. Also, Anya Taylor-Johnson could be a huge hit in her role as well.

Recast, reboot and wipe the slate completely clean. New universe; new parameters, new rules. That's what's probably going to happen. There's zero incentive for Kevin Feige to inherit the Singer continuity

Recast, reboot and wipe the slate completely clean. New universe; new parameters, new rules. That's what's probably going to happen. There's zero incentive for Kevin Feige to inherit the Singer continuity

There is one incentive. Money. Yet that depends completely on how well Dark Phoenix does. Not how well Deadpool does. Not how well Logan does. What those affirmed to Feige was that if the character is done inherently true to the comic character, then regardless of what else changes, well then the film will be well received. I believe he's said so much in different words. If Dark Phoenix can prove that its a film that makes money beyond just that, that it is a film that makes money because its the seventh X-Men film, well that's the one and only incentive. Even then, is it enough? Even then, I don't know if Kinberg can deliver even half of that.

There is one incentive. Money. Yet that depends completely on how well Dark Phoenix does. Not how well Deadpool does. Not how well Logan does. What those affirmed to Feige was that if the character is done inherently true to the comic character, then regardless of what else changes, well then the film will be well received. I believe he's said so much in different words. If Dark Phoenix can prove that its a film that makes money beyond just that, that it is a film that makes money because its the seventh X-Men film, well that's the one and only incentive. Even then, is it enough? Even then, I don't know if Kinberg can deliver even half of that.
Disregarding all of the red flags we're seeing for this movie, I'll bite. Money isn't the deciding factor for Feige when it comes to creative decisions as big as incorporating a completely different continuity into the MCU. Otherwise, he would have never pushed for properties like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man - both huge risks projects that thankfully played off in the end - to get made. Feige has spent most of his career as a producer turning B-list Heroes into Blockbuster hits. Why would Dark Phoenix performing well sway Feige into jeopardizing the MCU by integrating a bloated, convulted, warped timeline that has gone through so many of the motions; used up iconic storylines and characters already? Money sure as hell won't be a concern for him. A fresh MCU take on the X-Men shedding all of the Singer baggage with the full Disney marketing machine behind it, could be as big as the Avengers films (The X-Men were bigger than the Avengers in the 90s)

Before the first Amazing Spider-Man movie even came out, Feige made it clear to Pascal in the emails that the only way Spider-Man was going to be incorporated into the MCU was for him to be REBOOTED. That was a condition of any deal Marvel would make. Alan Fine believed that the TASM franchise only 2 movies in, had too much baggage to fit into the MCU. Why in the world would that not be the same case for a franchise that has already had 9 movies and has been around since 2000? The X-Men are in desperate need of a reboot. The CBM genre has outgrown the bygone grounded, melodramatic approach that Singer applies to everything in the X-Universe. Its time for the X-Men to step into the golden age of CBMs the right way. Its time for the drawing board to be wiped COMPLETELY clean and it only makes the utmost that that's what Marvel will do when they get the X-Men back.

Disregarding all of the red flags we're seeing for this movie, I'll bite. Money isn't the deciding factor for Feige when it comes to creative decisions as big as incorporating a completely different continuity into the MCU. Otherwise, he would have never pushed for properties like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man - both huge risks projects that thankfully played off in the end - to get made. Feige has spent most of his career as a producer turning B-list Heroes into Blockbuster hits. Why would Dark Phoenix performing well sway Feige into jeopardizing the MCU by integrating a bloated, convulted, warped timeline that has gone through so many of the motions; used up iconic storylines and characters already? Money sure as hell won't be a concern for him. A fresh MCU take on the X-Men shedding all of the Singer baggage with the full Disney marketing machine behind it, could be as big as the Avengers films (The X-Men were bigger than the Avengers in the 90s)

Before the first Amazing Spider-Man movie even came out, Feige made it clear to Pascal in the emails that the only way Spider-Man was going to be incorporated into the MCU was for him to be REBOOTED. That was a condition of any deal Marvel would make. Alan Fine believed that the TASM franchise only 2 movies in, had too much baggage to fit into the MCU. Why in the world would that not be the same case for a franchise that has already had 9 movies and has been around since 2000? The X-Men are in desperate need of a reboot. The CBM genre has outgrown the bygone grounded, melodramatic approach that Singer applies to everything in the X-Universe. Its time for the X-Men to step into the golden age of CBMs the right way. Its time for the drawing board to be wiped COMPLETELY clean and it only makes the utmost that that's what Marvel will do when they get the X-Men back.

And so, on the off chance that Kinberg does somehow fulfill that one incentive that it gets them to think maybe even once about retaining the lineage... I can't say you're wrong.

I just don't think I'll ever find it the X-Men squaring off against the Avengers epic unless its the X-Men we've come to know. Ironically enough, though, X-Men being convoluted and having a **** ton of baggage and retcons would be par for course considering their comic history.

Ehh... Thats like saying it won't be awesome to see Spider-Man with the Avengers because it's not Tobey Maguire (even though Marvel gave us the best film version of Spider-Man yet) And even then, it's not really the X-Men we've come to know. Its not Stewart, Jackman. McKellen, Famke, Halle etc. You could argue McAvoy and Fassbender but they haven't had the same impact as the former. The way I see it, when the X-Men meet the Avengers, I want it to be proper MCU versions of those characters.

Build the MCU X-Men up over a couple of films and that way, if and when an "Avengers vs. X-Men" happens, it'll have weight behind it

Last edited:
it will be interesting to see whose still an avenger by 2023 alone.

It's gonna be tricky getting X-Men into the MCU so if they did decide to say secret wars it with an alternative universe then they probably would have that a few options I guess.

I believe the actress playing Scarlett witch has said she doesn't think her character can be in the mutant gene pool because of what's been revealed about her backstory and origin of her powers.

Last edited:

• Wolverine (Jackman)
  • X-23 (Dafne Keen)
  • Storm (Berry)
  • Rogue (Paquin)
  • Gambit
  • Cyclops (Marsden)
  • Magik (Taylor-Johnson)
  • Iceman
  • Beast
  • Emma Frost
  • Colossus
  • Juggernaut
  • Magneto
  • Deadpool and others

This conversation again? In my opinion, MCU would be more than ready to cast actors for the X-Men characters, and just replace the Foxverse actors in their respective roles.

Im not so sure, I still think audiences would still go nuts seeing Fassbenders Magneto vs the Avengers for example. Even though Xfilms are not as popular as Avengers, they still make at least half a billion $ every time. That is still a lot of eyeballs watching these characters. WB tried baiting Christian Bale to return as Batman in the DCEU but he refused. I think we can all agree that Bale alongside Henry Cavill would have felt more epic and gathered more attention than a complete recast of Batman, regardless of the script. In the same way I think it would be more impactful to take Fassbenders Magneto to the MCU with McAvoy. And along with Ryan Renolds and maybe Hugh Jackman. Scrap the rest.

With Spiderman recast it was a bit different because weve had so many iterations of him and hes a singular character.

I don't think you can scrap some and keep others like that. and really there probably is no reason to pick and choose like that either.

Jackman is likely done with Wolverine though. After Logan i don't think he would come back as it would just reset his perfect moment for leaving the role. Maybe he could Cameo in Deadpool 2 but if he does i am almost certain he will make it clear that it means nothing for him coming back to the role.

I think it would have some gimmick appeal to have the FOXverse meet Marvels since its curiously ambitious having the established universes meeting.

Last edited:
I'd be very interested in X-Force however it happens. If Reynolds makes the move then maybe some of the crew of Deadpool will too? Obviously some talent there that fits the character well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"