Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ragnarok mediocre?!! THAT is one of the worst opinions I have ever heard. And I am not sorry.
Oh, my bad. Not mediocre. Just bad. Unfunny, stupid and with a lot of wasted potential. My least favorite Taika film and I'm saying this as a his fan :csad:

You don't seem to be familiar with Scott Mendelson... the guy is not exactly the biggest fan of superhero movies.

Yes, I really do not know who
but regardless, I think his opinion is quite wrong
as I said in the other post,
I see in comcast better opportunities for fox productions.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that Fox fans will be hanging their hats on Logan even 20 years from now. Great film released in 2017.

And we can't forget that adapted screenplay nom. That was boss, I'll admit.

Oh, my bad. Not mediocre. Just bad. Unfunny, stupid and with a lot of wasted potential. My least favorite Taika film and I'm saying this as a his fan :csad:

Yeah, but what does Taika think of it?

I get the feeling that Fox fans will be hanging their hats on Logan even 20 years from now. Great film released in 2017.

It's been released just last year.
And Fox hit another home run with 'DEADPOOL 2' this year. So...

It's been released just last year.
And Fox hit another home run with 'DEADPOOL 2' this year. So...

I know, that's why I said 2017..

Were you under the impression I thought they didn't? I'm sure you've seen me post in the DP forums. DP isn't considered on the level of "Best Adapted Screenplay" nominated Logan in many circles, so I didn't mention it.

That's what happens with a movie if that movie is great.

Yeah, but what does Taika think of it?
He probably agrees with me, I don't know :oldrazz:

I know, that's why I said 2017..

Were you under the impression I thought they didn't? I'm sure you've seen me post in the DP forums. DP isn't considered on the level of "Best Adapted Screenplay" nominated Logan in many circles, so I didn't mention it.

The first 'DEADPOOL' was actually in the runnning for an Oscar nom for a while, but didn't get in the end.

Don't remember you specifically, but there are so many posters on these forums, it's hard to keep up. Sorry.

That's what happens with a movie if that movie is great.

Yup, exactly.

As has already been mentioned we only got 1 X-men movie this year. With possibly 2 next year though who knows if New Mutants will get a big screen release.

Fox's previous X-men releases were 1 film every 3 years. 2016 was the only year with 2 films...

Assuming DP and NM do release in 2019. That averages out to an X-men release each year for a 9 year stretch. Is Disney going to release an X-men property every single year? I'm skeptical. They have a lot of franchises to service already. Plus whatever cosmic characters they plan on introducing. Not to mention the FF.

From instagram

A lot of people are like blah blah phoenix storyline can't be done in 1 movie & that is incorrect. Days of future past was a colossal movie that basically was 2 movies & had 2 cast all in 1 & it turned out to be the greatest xmen movie ever for me. If they can do that they can do it again!! Crosses my fingers dark phoenix is another days of future past! As long as dark phoenix is visually stunning, emotional, grounded it can be just as epic!!!
THIS!

LOL @ the Oscar talk. Even Suicide Squad won an Oscar.

They deserved the Oscar unlike anything Marvel Disney has ever produced. Just fluff made to be consumed by the masses. That's coming from a fan of most of their movies.

Fluff that got most people talking and eXcited. Dark PhoeniX wishes it has the same level of hype.
LOL @ the Oscar talk. Even Suicide Squad won an Oscar.

Transformers as well. :csad:

And before someone mentions Deadpool's Golden Globes nomination, well The Tourist also got a nomination.

And great if Logan got an Oscars nomination, but that doesn't fix the franchise as a whole when you have Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix and the New Mutants in between those movies. Inconsistency at its finest.:csad:

Agreed. It's also what happens when the body of work as a whole is hit or miss.
That's ok if you have a few misses if most of your hits are some of the best cbms of all time
Could be, probably why he's interested in doing a sequel. :oldrazz:
Because money obviously :whatever:

And great if Logan got an Oscars nomination, but that doesn't fix the franchise as a whole when you have Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix and the New Mutants in between those movies. Inconsistency at its finest.:csad:
And terrible if Apocalypse is one of the worst cbms this decade, but that doesn't ruin the franchise as a whole when you have DOFP, FC, The Wolverine, Deadpool and Deadpool 2 in before and after this movie!

Fluff that got most people talking and eXcited. Dark PhoeniX wishes it has the same level of hype.

Transformers as well. :csad:

And before someone mentions Deadpool's Golden Globes nomination, well The Tourist also got a nomination.

Style with no substance. I'd love for Dark Phoenix to be the same hype level as Deadpool and Logan and be on their quality level vs. 90% of Marvel Disney's shallow tone and output level no matter how popular that thought might be.

It's nice when they put some thought to the story and even hide parts of the overall plot for us to figure out on the go or after several times watching.

For example, I don't know if Singer came up with this one, but in the Rogue cut of DOFP Rogue had already been captured when we meet the X-Men in the first dystopian future. They went back to a time when she had only recently been caught but they managed to rescue her. You can tell because of the use of power absorption by the sentinels in the first future and the lack of it in the second. Little things like these can get fans to geek out a bit.

The way they are building up Scarlet Witch throughout the MCU is really impressive (and the same should have been done with Jean Grey), as is the scene where Doctor Strange gives
Thanos the stone, because he'd explored the future

I lack a term for it, but the type of writing that brings you back to previous moments that may have been trivial but were a major clue to something big in the end...

It's like watching Game of Thrones over again now that you know who was behind most of the events in Season 1 and it was right in front of us the whole time...

That's ok if you have a few misses if most of your hits are some of the best cbms of all time

As much of an opinion as people who think Marvel has some of the best CBM's ever, and there are pleny more of them around.

Because money obviously :whatever:

I'm sure that's the only reason, I don't go out for drinks with him like you do FAN.

It's X-Men but it's also the Star Wars movies nowadays. It's like they tried to go for a Lord of the Rings style trilogy without putting together any plots and stories. It's not working for me at all and it drags... so... bad...

There is an odd scene in Days of Future Past that makes me feel exactly this way. Whereas I can suspend my disbelief watching almost any superhero film (current MCU films and the first X-Men films), there is a scene in this one where they all sit around and start talking about going back in time. I dont think it's Singer's style and I was a bit embarrassed the first time watching it; it may have even crossed my mind to leave the theater but I hung on. It made the characters look so silly and made me feel that's what the writers or directors think that superheroes are silly. In which case you'd say, gee, maybe the just don't get the material they're working with???

I feel they were trying to mimic the intimacy of a scene in X2 where they gathered around the fire to plan their next move, somewhere in the middle of the film. It's good in X2, but the scene in DOFP really brings me out of the story and back to reality.

Last edited:
DOFP is arguable but First Class?! No way! Lol

Favorite mainline team film. May not have any A-listers, but it does the Xavier and Magneto relationship better than any film, and has an infectious sense of fun that escapes all of Bryan Singer's films. Matthew Vaughn is a master at zippy, bubbly humor mixing with dark, aggressive action. The result is something more comic booky than the other mainline X-films, but more meaty than a lot of the more comic booky competition.

So when BP gets the Best Picture nomination that Mr. Nolan hisownself said it deserves you will concede that is an objectively "better" flick than one merely nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay?

It ain't getting a Best Picture nomination. And it isn't because it still has the tonal self-deprecating lightness (at least in its first act, which is the weakest act) that the Academy dislikes, plus it comes down to a CGI eyesore at the end.

But for the record I do think Black Panther is among the three best films Marvel Studios has ever produced. It is excellent. But it is also somewhat flawed in terms of tonal inconsistencies, an over reliance on formula for its first act, and shoddy CGI. Compared to something as precise as Logan, the latter is clearly the better movie even if the former is way more culturally important.

Assuming DP and NM do release in 2019. That averages out to an X-men release each year for a 9 year stretch. Is Disney going to release an X-men property every single year? I'm skeptical. They have a lot of franchises to service already. Plus whatever cosmic characters they plan on introducing. Not to mention the FF.

I know you mentioned averages but at the end of the day there were no movies in the franchise in 2012, none in 2015. It's possible the X-men in the MCU can see the same amount of appearances as they currently do over at Fox. Probably not the entire team but relevant characters might show up in other non X-men team films (which isn't any different from Cyclops and Storm cameoing during the Cerebro sequel in First Class or Jean's appearance in The Wolverine).

But more importantly, (and I have no doubt) the X-men under the MCU will finally be leads in their own movie.

That averages out to an X-men release each year for a 9 year stretch. Is Disney going to release an X-men property every single year? I'm skeptical. They have a lot of franchises to service already. Plus whatever cosmic characters they plan on introducing. Not to mention the FF.

The irony of your post is that within that "9 year stretch" here's what the "X-men" have to show for from the franchise:

2011: there was no X-men team in First Class (no matter how Kinberg wanted to retcon that with JLaw's dialogue in Apocalypse);
2013: was the term "X-men" even mentioned in The Wolverine;
2014: there was no X-men team in the past; nor were they X-men in the future according to Singer;
2016: it was a running joke in Deadpool 1 that they can only afford Colossus and his trainee Negasonic Teenage Warhead;
2016: Comic book A-lister X-man Beast, who in the movies can't seem to do anything right, waits for messianic X-woman herself Mystique to show up since he's still too chicken ***t to organize the team on his own; How long were they "X-men" in that movie?
2017: The X-men are killed by their mentor; They appear in a comic book;
2018: 2 second cameo;
2019: ?
2019: ?

That's a sad showing for the X-men and it's even sadder to think that some people can accept this treatment.

Last edited:
Because Logan, Deadpool and the home run that is Deadpool 2. Never mind characters like Rogue, Psylocke, Angel, Jubilee, Dazzler, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Phoenix, Emma, Bishop, Forge, Gambit, Iceman, Shadowcat, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"